Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1312312 times)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #4200 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 09:29:15 »
I have Nobles coming in a few months and TH-600 already why do I want -X00's T_T

because they are sexy

not really they seem hit or miss.
I love Elzy

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4201 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 09:33:04 »
I have Nobles coming in a few months and TH-600 already why do I want -X00's T_T

because they are sexy

They look nice tho

Are you just curious to see what they sound like, or do you want them for comparison purposes, or do you just want them cause you want them?
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline toxicdrift

« Reply #4202 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 09:38:55 »
do you REALLY need an amp for hd25s? i have the alus as well.

no its not really needed, but it helps,  its not a day / night difference but to me the bass has more impact and sounds overall fuller / cleaner 
Realforce 87U

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4203 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 09:39:26 »

because they are sexy

They look nice tho

Are you just curious to see what they sound like, or do you want them for comparison purposes, or do you just want them cause you want them?

I want to compare a variety of things between them and th600. I've read a lot but I need to hear it with my own ears :P

And that's what I was referring to, their looks are hit/miss because of all the variances in the mahogany.
I love Elzy

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4204 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 09:42:57 »

I want to compare a variety of things between them and th600. I've read a lot but I need to hear it with my own ears :P

And that's what I was referring to, their looks are hit/miss because of all the variances in the mahogany.

If you just want to compare - maybe we can arrange a little borrowing session (you're in Canada, right?). I would also benefit from your findings should I ever look at another pair of headphones.

And you can tell me what you think of my grain  ;)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4205 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 09:48:24 »

If you just want to compare - maybe we can arrange a little borrowing session (you're in Canada, right?). I would also benefit from your findings should I ever look at another pair of headphones.

Yeah where you at? I'll think about it.

I'll probably hang on to my th600 regardless but if I end up liking x00 more (which I've heard people suggest not to bother "downgrading") I might consider finding a pair... I plan to lawton mod the 600s regardless.
I love Elzy

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4206 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 09:50:54 »

Yeah where you at? I'll think about it.

I'll probably hang on to my th600 regardless but if I end up liking x00 more (which I've heard people suggest not to bother "downgrading") I might consider finding a pair... I plan to lawton mod the 600s regardless.

I'm in New Brunswick. I'd love to have someone more experienced with this stuff have a listen and tell me their thoughts on the headphones.

Let me know, maybe we can swap cans for clacks for a few weeks.  :))

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #4207 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 11:09:24 »
Alright guys

What are he topre of headphones.

I want to skip the nonsense and get some quality cans that I would have ended up with either way.

I don't know much about headphones or any audiophile stuff but I'll be reading the rest of this thread to learn :)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4208 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 11:10:56 »
Alright guys

I want to skip the nonsense and get some quality cans that I would have ended up with either way.

I don't know much about headphones or any audiophile stuff but I'll be reading the rest of this thread to learn :)

topre of headphones? Beats by Dre
I love Elzy

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #4209 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 11:12:31 »
Alright guys

WOW
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4210 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 11:15:18 »
Alright guys

a slap in the face in so many ways

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4211 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 11:18:28 »

Alright guys

I'm pretty stupid, but not that stupid

I already have Beats

Haha, nah. I would rather listen to music from my phone speakers then use Beats.

Offline logomachy

« Reply #4212 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 11:23:06 »
Alright guys

STAX

an almost perfect analogue.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #4213 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 11:31:23 »
Alright guys

STAX

I do occasional audio editing, my father worked in studios and taught me some basics:
1. the quality and interpretation of the sound will always remain subjective. what you think is the absolute best to your ears may be complete garbage in the opinion of somebody else
2. compile a list of favorite tracks, go to a store where they have the high-ends on display and listen to all of them.

I also play the piano and I know how an acoustic piano should sound like. So what I did is, I went to the studio and played an acoustic kawaii concert grand so that I know how it should sound. Then I went on to the kawaii cn-35 with multiple headphones and tried them all out till I found the one that most closely matched how the sampled kawaii cn-35 sounded to the acoustic one in that same room.

What I look for in high-end cans is clean, clear sound. It should not be bassy, not be light. But it should reflect how it was mixed. If the original production is mastered with bass, you should hear bass. So another thing I do is, I know that some genres / producers put more / less bass in their productions and use a wider or narrower stereo image. So I took some of my tracks and verified that this headphone sounded like I know these artists are known to produce (their unique sound).

This all led me to my beyerdynamic. But again, it is all subjective, so it may sound horrible to your ears.

EDIT: High-end phones that are used in the studio at least are not made to provide you with the "sickest bass that will make your head explode" but they are made to be studio monitors on your head. That is, to provide you with an accurate depiction of how a production was intended to sound. For instance, vocals are often edited to lay ON TOP of a band or the rest of the track. So when somebody starts to sing, you hear the rest a bit reduced and the vocal easily stands out. For instance, listen to Norah Jones. You should be able to hear this distinction on high end cans, but not on cheaper ones because they lack the clarity and detail.

So that's my 50 cents :-)
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 February 2016, 11:37:38 by iLLucionist »
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
« Reply #4214 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 11:36:15 »
Alright guys

Sennheiser Orpheus 2 I guess but they're not an option I assume.
It all depends on the money you're willing to spend.
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..
HHKB Pro 2 Poker II [MX Red]

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4215 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 11:40:48 »

Alright guys

STAX

I do occasional audio editing, my father worked in studios and taught me some basics:
1. the quality and interpretation of the sound will always remain subjective. what you think is the absolute best to your ears may be complete garbage in the opinion of somebody else
2. compile a list of favorite tracks, go to a store where they have the high-ends on display and listen to all of them.

I also play the piano and I know how an acoustic piano should sound like. So what I did is, I went to the studio and played an acoustic kawaii concert grand so that I know how it should sound. Then I went on to the kawaii cn-35 with multiple headphones and tried them all out till I found the one that most closely matched how the sampled kawaii cn-35 sounded to the acoustic one in that same room.

What I look for in high-end cans is clean, clear sound. It should not be bassy, not be light. But it should reflect how it was mixed. If the original production is mastered with bass, you should hear bass. So another thing I do is, I know that some genres / producers put more / less bass in their productions and use a wider or narrower stereo image. So I took some of my tracks and verified that this headphone sounded like I know these artists are known to produce (their unique sound).

This all led me to my beyerdynamic. But again, it is all subjective, so it may sound horrible to your ears.

EDIT: High-end phones that are used in the studio at least are not made to provide you with the "sickest bass that will make your head explode" but they are made to be studio monitors on your head. That is, to provide you with an accurate depiction of how a production was intended to sound. For instance, vocals are often edited to lay ON TOP of a band or the rest of the track. So when somebody starts to sing, you hear the rest a bit reduced and the vocal easily stands out. For instance, listen to Norah Jones. You should be able to hear this distinction on high end cans, but not on cheaper ones because they lack the clarity and detail.

So that's my 50 cents :-)

Yea, I get what you're saying. I like a clean sound, but I wouldn't know what sounds best until I try a bunch out to compare.
I'll have to find a shop and try some out.

I live in the ghetto so no place around here is gonna have them out for people to try out

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4216 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 11:41:52 »
the fostex th900 mk2 have Detachable cables.  :thumb:

here is my current setup 

HD25 Aluminiums + DacMagic XS v2

(Attachment Link)

I have the 600Ohm version and nope, even that doesn't need an extra amp at all, although there's some improvement in bass, if you're in a quiet environment.

However, that's a DAC in the picture, and I have no idea, if macbooks have decent on-board audio.

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4217 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 19:24:35 »

here is my current setup 

(Attachment Link)

I have the 600Ohm version and nope, even that doesn't need an extra amp at all, although there's some improvement in bass, if you're in a quiet environment.

However, that's a DAC in the picture, and I have no idea, if macbooks have decent on-board audio.

600ohm straight out of the source? You cray bro haha

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #4218 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 16:50:14 »
So, I picked up some Grado SR325e. I love them, but perhaps I'd love them more if they were a bit more comfortable. Does anyone know of any good ways to get the cans off your ears a bit more? That seems to be the main problem for me.
DELL AT102W Black Alps | IBM Model M 122 | Matias Tactile Pro 4

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #4219 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 17:44:04 »
Beyerdynamic never sounded natural to me...

However it always depends on the source.
Probably didn't help that I had a fiio at the time.

Tried the new mcintosh headphones made by beyerdynamic and that sounded great but cost more than the stax setup.

I too would go with stax as the topre of headphones.

It's a different beast (like topre is completely separate from MX). Very different compared to the competitors.

Alps / Matias is like planars. You have the old ones that were made by lots of different brands, some good and some bad, in the past, with new ones being developed with the same design and technology.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #4220 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 07:39:19 »
Beyerdynamic never sounded natural to me...

However it always depends on the source.
Probably didn't help that I had a fiio at the time.

Tried the new mcintosh headphones made by beyerdynamic and that sounded great but cost more than the stax setup.

I too would go with stax as the topre of headphones.

It's a different beast (like topre is completely separate from MX). Very different compared to the competitors.

Alps / Matias is like planars. You have the old ones that were made by lots of different brands, some good and some bad, in the past, with new ones being developed with the same design and technology.

Could you try to explain how stax is different from (my) beyerdynamic? Always interested to try out new stuff.. I'll play mine either via my digital piano (CN-35), which is not ideal because the Ohm of the piano and the headphone is not really on par, and through my Focusrite 2i2 and that sounds awesome to my ears. Also when mixing in Logic or when using Reason.

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #4221 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 09:33:21 »
Could you try to explain how stax is different from (my) beyerdynamic? Always interested to try out new stuff.. I'll play mine either via my digital piano (CN-35), which is not ideal because the Ohm of the piano and the headphone is not really on par, and through my Focusrite 2i2 and that sounds awesome to my ears. Also when mixing in Logic or when using Reason.

STAX headphones are electrostatic, so you'll be needing an amplifier capable of driving electrostatic headphones. STAX make their own, Woo Audio also makes them. And like the headphones themselves, they are not exactly cheap.
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #4222 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 09:42:01 »

STAX headphones are electrostatic, so you'll be needing an amplifier capable of driving electrostatic headphones. STAX make their own, Woo Audio also makes them. And like the headphones themselves, they are not exactly cheap.

Thanks! Time to find out what electrostatic means.. Never heard of it.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4223 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 20:32:46 »
So, I picked up some Grado SR325e. I love them, but perhaps I'd love them more if they were a bit more comfortable. Does anyone know of any good ways to get the cans off your ears a bit more? That seems to be the main problem for me.

I think you can get a pair of G Cush pads from Grado *or a clone from Zonk) here:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=grado+g+cush&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=859578565&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_6gyqaba823_e

Or, you can check out eBay....

Head over to the HeadFi and check out the SR325e thread there. I kinda recall some recommending the G Cush for better comfort......but do ensure the G Cush pads fit the SR325e first as I may be mistaken. I have the PS1000 and GS1000i and while I like the former, I absolutely love the latter. The bass on it is......sublime.

Offline hullo8d

« Reply #4224 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 20:44:31 »
i currently had a pair of sennheiser 650hd that i got pretty cheap (250 shipped brand new) which i'm powering with my valhalla 2. my current audio output is coming from a xonar dx in the mean time, but i plan on upgrading to a bifrost just so i can complete the stack. just waiting on the dosh

i also have westone w30's that i use on the go. westone was nice enough to upgrade me from the w3 iems i had originally got when the wire started wearing down at the jack. bought those for like 180 too, so it was an amazing upgrade.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4225 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 07:56:18 »
The 4 pin XLR balance cable that I'd ordered for my HD800 came earlier than expected......

I'm now chilling in front of my monitor, surfing the net and listening to great music with my HD800->4 pin XLR->Oppo HA-1

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #4226 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 08:04:43 »
hi. first time posting here, are earphones considered okay?  :-[

TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4227 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 08:10:36 »

Show Image

Sure, audio related stuff including IEM's are welcome! Especially so if it's a Fitear! :))

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #4228 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 08:22:18 »

Show Image

Sure, audio related stuff including IEM's are welcome! Especially so if it's a Fitear! :))

hahaha, thanks! she's my pride and joy. because of commuting reasons i'm posponing my desktop setup until graduation (which is 6 months away!)

how are you liking those HD800's?
TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4229 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 08:56:52 »
hahaha, thanks! she's my pride and joy. because of commuting reasons i'm posponing my desktop setup until graduation (which is 6 months away!)

Love 'em! Funny thing about the HD800's, I've noticed that some (like me) love it, but sold it after a while.....then, we begin to miss it, and somehow, one way or another, we'd find a way to buy one again. One that I've got mine back again, ain't no way I'd ever think of selling it........evah! ;D Mine's an earlier model, serial number <10k, it's supposed to be treble hot, but I don't find it so. In fact, I enjoy the sparkly treble.....perhaps I'm a closet treblehead who's coming out now. :p

Anyway, I've bought a good number of cans, and have also worked on beefing up my portable gear.....guess it's time to stop with ALL my audio purchases.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #4230 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 08:59:20 »

http://www.head-fi.org/a/grado-pad-choices-and-mods
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #4231 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 09:15:38 »

Love 'em! Funny thing about the HD800's, I've noticed that some (like me) love it, but sold it after a while.....then, we begin to miss it, and somehow, one way or another, we'd find a way to buy one again. One that I've got mine back again, ain't no way I'd ever think of selling it........evah! ;D Mine's an earlier model, serial number <10k, it's supposed to be treble hot, but I don't find it so. In fact, I enjoy the sparkly treble.....perhaps I'm a closet treblehead who's coming out now. :p

Anyway, I've bought a good number of cans, and have also worked on beefing up my portable gear.....guess it's time to stop with ALL my audio purchases.
Show Image

hahaha. i agree with you. HD800 are quite unique, but feed it with a right amp and you're set.
 same with you, i'm considering 800 or 800s gonna be my target for my desktop setup later. have been in this hobby way too long, before i brought my first mechanical keyboard. i want to finish it as soon as possible  :-X

holy hell, am i seeing parterre, k10, and ie800? and what model of aurisonics is that? harmony? looks like you're spending a bit too much :p

believe it or not, i'm driving my fitear with my phone. still lurking for a perfect that that didn't make my wallet empty...

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4232 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 09:45:10 »
hahaha. i agree with you. HD800 are quite unique, but feed it with a right amp and you're set.
 same with you, i'm considering 800 or 800s gonna be my target for my desktop setup later. have been in this hobby way too long, before i brought my first mechanical keyboard. i want to finish it as soon as possible  :-X

holy hell, am i seeing parterre, k10, and ie800? and what model of aurisonics is that? harmony? looks like you're spending a bit too much :p

believe it or not, i'm driving my fitear with my phone. still lurking for a perfect that that didn't make my wallet empty...
Yeah, once you own a HD800 and you happen to sell it, you're gonna miss its soundstage and sparkle. This guy sold me the HD800, then missed it and offered to trade his Grado PS1000 for the HD800. He then traded the HD800 for my Audeze 2.2 nF with sold cash top-up on my side (didn't quite like its sig sound, nice thick bass and pretty decent treble, but just doesn't suit me....besides, Audeze cans are heavy as hell!), he then sold off the Audeze and guess what, he'd finally gotten a HD800 (again) and has sworn NOT to sell or trade it off.

My portable gear are as follow:
Fiio X3 2nd Gen + JDS Labs C5 portable amp, Sony Xperia Z5 Premium (can play various audio formats including DSD64)
Fitear Parterre, Noble Audio Savant, Sennheiser IE800
Aurisonics ASG1+, Camp Fire Audio Jupiter (by ALO)

I'm strictly a UIEM user, no CIEM stuff for me as I lack the patience to wait for the reshelling, oh yeah, take a look at Onkyo DP-X1.
http://www.amazon.com/hi-res-source-corresponding-Digital-DP-X1/dp/B017EIHB0C/ref=sr_1_1/192-9388090-7557900?ie=UTF8&qid=1454686919&sr=8-1&keywords=onkyo+dp-x1
It's not exactly cheap, but way more reasonable than A&K DAP's. Heard good things about it, especially when it run in balance mode......that's when it shines (or so from what I'd gathered).
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 February 2016, 10:39:38 by PadawanGeek »

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #4233 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 10:00:11 »
The guy who sold me his 007 to buy himself a 009 ended up finding an amp and HD800 setup that he liked more than the 009 + BHSE (pretty sure he ended up getting the BHSE)

The HD800 is very amp dependent though.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #4234 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 12:57:46 »
I'm pretty sure the hd800 plus lyr I had for a while contributed heavily to the light bit of tinnitus I still have two years later.  Plus I hate sparkly treble.  Admittedly, I don't think there's anything with quite the level of soundstage that the hd800 has either.  I've been thinking about dipping my toe back into the game with a nice pair of closed headphones, but the x2 are so good for my use now, I'm not sure I want to get into anything else.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4235 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 14:10:54 »
I need a headset that can handle a wide range of genres. In the near future I'll be upgrading my AKG K240s, any (semi-open) recommendations? 

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4236 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 14:51:09 »

here is my current setup 

(Attachment Link)

Ever heard of sensitivity? Probably not.

I need a headset that can handle a wide range of genres. In the near future I'll be upgrading my AKG K240s, any (semi-open) recommendations? 
What kind of K240? Modern, Monitor, DF,...?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4237 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 15:01:56 »

here is my current setup 

(Attachment Link)

Ever heard of sensitivity? Probably not.

What kind of K240? Modern, Monitor, DF,...?
Shoot sorry, I forgot to specify. They're the modern version of the entry level monitor model.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #4238 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 15:38:51 »

I like the fidelio x2 for a good jack of all trades headphone.  If you want planars, the he400s is solid, too.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4239 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 15:58:39 »
I think the philips fidelio x2s are the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn as well as being a great sounding set of headphones

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4240 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 16:17:03 »

I like the fidelio x2 for a good jack of all trades headphone.  If you want planars, the he400s is solid, too.

I think the philips fidelio x2s are the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn as well as being a great sounding set of headphones

I love the look of them, they remind me of the Grados I had a few years ago. I'll definitely have a look at the spec sheets

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #4241 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 10:55:32 »

Yeah, once you own a HD800 and you happen to sell it, you're gonna miss its soundstage and sparkle. This guy sold me the HD800, then missed it and offered to trade his Grado PS1000 for the HD800. He then traded the HD800 for my Audeze 2.2 nF with sold cash top-up on my side (didn't quite like its sig sound, nice thick bass and pretty decent treble, but just doesn't suit me....besides, Audeze cans are heavy as hell!), he then sold off the Audeze and guess what, he'd finally gotten a HD800 (again) and has sworn NOT to sell or trade it off.

My portable gear are as follow:
Fiio X3 2nd Gen + JDS Labs C5 portable amp, Sony Xperia Z5 Premium (can play various audio formats including DSD64)
Fitear Parterre, Noble Audio Savant, Sennheiser IE800
Aurisonics ASG1+, Camp Fire Audio Jupiter (by ALO)

I'm strictly a UIEM user, no CIEM stuff for me as I lack the patience to wait for the reshelling, oh yeah, take a look at Onkyo DP-X1.
http://www.amazon.com/hi-res-source-corresponding-Digital-DP-X1/dp/B017EIHB0C/ref=sr_1_1/192-9388090-7557900?ie=UTF8&qid=1454686919&sr=8-1&keywords=onkyo+dp-x1
It's not exactly cheap, but way more reasonable than A&K DAP's. Heard good things about it, especially when it run in balance mode......that's when it shines (or so from what I'd gathered).
oh wow.. hd800 sure got a lot of love here :p
anyway, nice collection, really. savant are good, good alternative if you didn't want to spend too much for k10. meanwhile i haven't heard that campfire.. how's it?
lol, i guess i'm completely backside from you as i can't stand UIEM simply because it didnt give me enough isolation for my commuting needs.
i already heard that. it's ok, but it's jack is prone to breaking.. there's already 2 person with issue at head-fi, last time i went there..

yes, fidelio x2 is a good jack of all trades, but be careful. from what i heard there's a lot of fidelio x2 user that become bored quickly with the sound signature and went upgradeitis.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4242 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 14:21:14 »
Do I get a nice set of tower speakers....or a really good pair of headphones?

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #4243 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 17:27:18 »

I would ask what you do more of.

I, personally would go for a sick set of speakers.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 February 2016, 17:35:04 by katushkin »
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4244 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 18:01:52 »

I already have a nice pair of headphones I use everyday and my family rarely uses headphones. They would be mostly for them. I just don't know how ready I am to spend $1400 on a pair of towers speakers.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #4245 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 18:31:48 »

I already have a nice pair of headphones I use everyday and my family rarely uses headphones. They would be mostly for them. I just don't know how ready I am to spend $1400 on a pair of towers speakers.

That's a lot on speakers  :eek:

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4246 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 21:17:29 »

That's a lot on speakers  :eek:

I agree...and that's at a discount. My dream speakers cost $50k but that ain't ever gonna happen.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #4247 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 22:53:14 »
Anyone want to buy my geekpulse dac? Special price of $300 + shipping and fees for geekhackers  :thumb:

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4248 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 00:17:41 »
I agree...and that's at a discount. My dream speakers cost $50k but that ain't ever gonna happen.
That would be something like these badboys....with Accuphase pre-power amps, Esoteric CD player, Lumin D1 music streamer

Of course, having a pair of speakers like these means you gotta get great cables to commensurate with their awesomeness (the bottom part of each speaker unit is actually a separate active subwoofer unit.....you can see it clearly in the pic below)

These belong to a bud of mine, a friend of some 30 years now.....I didn't know he'd gotten the speakers a few years back, when I heard that he has them, I went over to his place to spend an afternoon with them. We listen to FLAC, WAV and DSD tracks, I ain't a fan of Cats Steven, but man, listening to Father and Son on his system made me appreciate that song.....in fact, it's in my playlist on both my portable and desk rigs.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 February 2016, 00:20:12 by PadawanGeek »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #4249 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 00:28:50 »
Holy ****. Those are enormous.

They look so early 00s. They wouldn't look out of place in a Peugeot 306's trunk  :))

(I'm sure they sound amazing though!)