Author Topic: intelli78's 14 Theses  (Read 5288 times)

Offline intelli78

intelli78's 14 Theses
« on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 15:23:58 »
DISCLAIMER: These are my own opinions and nothing more. Some may be more controversial and/or moralizing than others. If any points come across as preachy, it's not my intention, so blow me. I definitely don't claim to have any higher moral ground, I am down here in the gutter myself. This is just me putting into words some things that I believe, viewpoints that maybe aren't mentioned so often. You can print them and wipe your ass with them for all I care, but I hope someone will find some value here.

14 Theses

1. Watch your budget and be very careful of FOMO. Wallet Hack is real. Lots of us are in our 20s and the financial habits we form now will be with us for life.

2. You will never find your perfect keyboard, it is an illusion much like the perfect high.

3. Reddit and GeekHack serve two very different roles. There is space for both communities. There is no need to take one side or the other.

4. Every GB comes with risk and uncertainty, even the ones run by the most trusted members. Be careful who you give your money to.

5. When you owe someone money or keyboard parts, whether in the capacity of a private sale or a GB, fulfill your end swiftly. It's even in the bible.

6. Ellipse's GB is historic, maybe the most historic ever.

7. Avoid keyboard drama. Do this by completely abstaining from drama threads. Don't add your 2c, just don't. Click 'Back.' In fact, some people seem more intetrested in drama than keyboards. Get involved with this at your own peril.

8. Don't bully, even if everyone else is doing it. In particular, nothing is more despicable than grown men bullying kids. Most of our younger members are extremely impressive individuals. A few are still learning how to interact with the world. Don't bully them. DON'T.

9. Some members who most claim to act in the name of the community, are the least community-oriented. Make up your own mind who is the real deal, and who is just an ego who likes to have Internet followers. And then be civil to everyone anyway, and try not to anyone get the best of you, because no matter how good it feels to say something nasty the moment, you will regret it later. Even if you are totally justified, public Internet clashing of egos is an ugly game where no one wins, especially over something as ultimately inconsequential as keyboards.

10. Growth and monetization of this hobby is unavoidable. I choose to embrace this. I understand how it feels to miss the "good old days" of DIY and small community, but those days are disappearing, and nothing will bring them back. Remember them fondly but beware of bemoaning them so much you miss out on all the new opportunities.

11. If you really love keyboards and you have skills and ingenuity, you can find a way to make a living off them. But beware of burning out. Sometimes hobbies are best left as hobbies.

12. Profit in general is not evil. It makes the world turn and people getting paid is what gives us nice stuff. Profiteering, aka flipping, on the other hand, is not good in a community like ours. But, the forces of supply and demand are economic laws and cannot be counteracted in the long term. Preaching against them is futile. (At the same time, selling at cost is a personal choice and is great karma.) The most important thing to understand is that the way we often tear one another apart and destroy reputations over artisan caps is far worse than the problem itself. If your Clack can fetch $300, you should be able to sell it for $300 without being tarred and feathered. But remember the karma that comes with selling at cost.

13. Massdrop isn't evil and doesn't deserve a lot of criticism they get. Are they perfect? Not even close. Have they made mistakes in the past? Yes. But their profit minimization model is incredibly fair to vendors, at least for now. They are offering a huge opportunity to make nice stuff that's otherwise out of reach. Their biggest mistake so far is not gathering enough community input. As community input increases, the outcomes will dramatically improve. Think they can do better? Email them and get involved.

14. Above all never forget this is a hobby that should be fun.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline billnye

• ability man
Re: intelli78's 14 Theses
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 15:33:06 »
Good post intelli. I think if everyone followed these principles we would have a great community.

However, I have to disagree with 2 because HHKB is the perfect keyboard ^-^.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 15:36:48 »
When are we going to get the ebook on how to make a living working with massdrop?

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 15:39:24 »
nice, but,

muck fassdrop
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 15:41:35 »
then gh would be boring
I love Elzy

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 15:45:45 »
I feel the absolute need to buy things TODAY since I may not want those things TOMORROW    ;D ;D

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 16:10:08 »
very true list

But sometimes I need no. 7 to eat my popcorn :D
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 16:12:29 »
I would add:

(15) Don't post meaningless thread titles.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 16:12:52 »
very true list

But sometimes I need no. 7 to eat my popcorn :D

I think number 7 was more about "drama is like a zoo; it's fun to watch the animals, but don't jump in the pen with them."

Please note, I enjoy jumping into the "drama" threads and replying to certain posts. Depends on what it's about. It's all just a bit of fun.  :))

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 16:44:45 »
Very insightful!

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 16:59:35 »
This needs a sticky, imo

Good write up  :thumb:

Offline OTD

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 16:59:47 »
One of the best well thought out post of 2015 if only it was still 2015. Shouldn't elipse's gb be on number one or are these not in an order of rank?

Offline skitty

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:09:52 »

2. You will never find your perfect keyboard, it is an illusion much like the perfect high.

A lot of people probably already know this. I just like having an excuse to buy more keyboards.  ;)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:12:24 »
Great post intelli.  I'm guilty of doing some of the things you say not to, and always try to do those things less.  They never end well for anyone involved.

Much like the wallethack thread, this is very insightful and a good summary for newcomers and "elders" alike.  :thumb:

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:28:47 »

hhkb
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:29:29 »
I'm guilty of doing some of the things you say not to, and always try to do those things less.

Me too, for sure.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:30:18 »
That a great write-up intelli. If everybody were to follow those rules than this place could get even better. :thumb:
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:32:24 »
That a great write-up intelli. If everybody were to follow those rules than this place could get even better. :thumb:

"...the [Pirate/Keyboard] code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules."  :D

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:43:14 »
Excellent post. I'd argue #2, but only on the point that many times we often have found that perfect "thing", but the possibilities of alternatives prove far too seductive.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:45:41 »
it's too late to get off this wallet-hack train  :'(

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:47:39 »

"...the [Pirate/Keyboard] code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules."  :D

Same difference.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 18:01:43 »
Great post Intelli

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 19:32:59 »
Why is Ellipse's group buy historic?
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 19:43:23 »

I did. I've been with bae for 2 or 3 years now, we're feeling pretty solid. ;)

3. Reddit and GeekHack serve two very different roles. There is space for both communities. There is no need to take one side or the other.

So true. If there was a third large keyboard community though, I think we can all agree that would be too much.

6. Ellipse's GB is historic, maybe the most historic ever.

100% agreed. Resurrecting the Model F is the crowning achievement of the community, and might not ever be topped.

7. Avoid keyboard drama. Do this by completely abstaining from drama threads. Don't add your 2c, just don't. Click 'Back.' In fact, some people seem more intetrested in drama than keyboards. Get involved with this at your own peril.

But drama is one of the niches that geekhack fills from Thesis #3.  ::)

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 19:48:54 »

But drama is one of the niches that geekhack fills from Thesis #3.  ::)

reddit can have the drama, I'm fine with that :P
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 19:51:06 »

If there was a third large keyboard community though, I think we can all agree that would be too much.

drama is one of the niches that geekhack fills from Thesis #3.

What if it was mostly about keyboards and less about drama? What is reddit?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 19:56:34 »
Anyone able who doesn't get in on Ellipse's GB will regret it for the rest of their lives. The most important GB ever.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 19:57:47 »
Also, theses rhymes with feces.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 20:00:41 »

A single person took it upon himself to resurrect one of the most revered keyboards, using new parts to duplicate the original experience.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 20:27:37 »

A single person took it upon himself to resurrect one of the most revered keyboards, using new parts to duplicate the original experience.

I'm going to say this once and only once. I think people have been pulling the wool over their eyes a bit on this one.  It has not only been Ellipse.  If you read through the threads, various contributors have volunteered their efforts to help Ellipse resurrect the Model F, and it is not clear if their efforts are being compensated in what seems like a closed-source, revenue-generating project.

That said, I applaud the efforts of Ellipse to complete the project.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 20:34:24 »
I doubt that the salary-per-hour generated here is going to be all that great.

On the other hand, if someone were to put Model M/Fs (that is, straight-standard 101/104/SSK Model M-configuration Model Fs) with all metal cases into production in the ~$300 price range, I believe that there would be a market for hundreds (if not thousands) of them and somebody could make some serious money.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 21:01:59 »

Anyone able who doesn't get in on Ellipse's GB will regret it for the rest of their lives. The most important GB ever.

16) embrace the Multi-Quote.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 21:15:20 »

17.) Alison Brie

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 21:19:18 »
All of this needed to be said, and I'm glad the messenger was articulate.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 21:38:08 »

16) embrace the Multi-Quote.

Tapatalk. :/

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 23:08:33 »
Great list intelli. Thanks for sharing.

Offline crickclackman

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 11:47:10 »
Great list. Lately the trolling and bullying has been out of control.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 13:47:59 »
You had me until 12.

12. Profit in general is not evil. It makes the world turn and people getting paid is what gives us nice stuff.
It makes the wheels of economy turn. It's also the reason, why people still spend 40+ hours a week doing "jobs".

13. Massdrop isn't evil and doesn't deserve a lot of criticism they get. Are they perfect? Not even close. Have they made mistakes in the past? Yes. But their profit minimization model is incredibly fair to vendors, at least for now. They are offering a huge opportunity to make nice stuff that's otherwise out of reach. Their biggest mistake so far is not gathering enough community input. As community input increases, the outcomes will dramatically improve. Think they can do better? Email them and get involved.
Massdrop, the winner of Deskthority *Ping* Award 2015

Quote from: The Demongolator
Show Image

You must be logged in on Massdrop to view this nomination.

Show Image

In order to collect and sell your data, please log in to view more about Massdrop's scruffy KC60 and Infinity Ergodox drops, the bad packaging of GKM trays, and the failure to even acknowledge the assistance or even existence of Deskthority in Massdrop's latest marketing for Matteo's Topre set (whose design thread took place right here on DT).

Offline intelli78

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 14:19:36 »
You had me until 12.

That's cool, man. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, especially on political issues. Just putting out an opinion I feel is underrepresented here :thumb: Everyone should make up their own minds on those issues, my bigger message is just to remember that we are all united by a shared interest and not to tear each other down so much.

In real world politics, tolerance is not always possible, because there are real and huge stakes at play. Extreme partisanship is understandable in that context. But here on GH, there is really nothing significant at stake and therefore it is an arena in which tolerance can be successful. It's all about treating each other right.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 February 2016, 14:22:42 by intelli78 »

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 14:27:59 »
4 and 6 conflicting. Head splode.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 14:33:44 »

Don't forget numero uno.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 14:35:21 »

Don't forget numero uno.

Yeah. That one... well... that basically says log off of gh and never come back.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 15:27:44 »
So your saying i should join ellipses gb? :)

IMHO there always comes a time when you notice you have too much crap. And you know the money is better spent elsewhere than sitting in your drawer.

And you forgot one thing. Never buy a keyboard for 3k...
Did you regret buying the TA?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:46:58 »
But here on GH, there is really nothing significant at stake

WWWOOOOOOOWWW

so rude