Author Topic: GH60 100% Open Source Acrylic Case IC  (Read 175489 times)

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
Re: GH60 100% Open Source Acrylic Case IC
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:01:18 »
Matt3o's design is incredible!

noob questions incoming...
After the GH60 group buy a lot of people are going to be receiving assembled keyboards with no cases only to figure out that they are stuck with a tray style case unless they desolder all the switches and use a different plate.

Would it be possible to create a layered case like Matt3o's that the plates from the gh60 group buy get sandwiched inside of?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:06:42 »

After the GH60 group buy a lot of people are going to be receiving assembled keyboards with no cases only to figure out that they are stuck with a tray style case unless they desolder all the switches and use a different plate.

Would it be possible to create a layered case like Matt3o's that the plates from the gh60 group buy get sandwiched inside of?
It would need standoffs. The GB plates are very close to the size of the PCB so they cannot really be sandwiched.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 23:28:36 »
How much room will be remaining between the plate and the PCB? Will there be any at all? edit: figured it out and my idea wouldn't work. :(

« Last Edit: Fri, 14 June 2013, 00:02:40 by domoaligato »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #103 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 01:45:45 »
I'm trying to have an acrylic plate 2mm thick (instead of 1.5 for better stability) etched in the position of switch clips to have them slot in. This way you get a 100% acrylic case and you wouldn't need an aluminum plate.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 12:28:10 »
I'm trying to have an acrylic plate 2mm thick (instead of 1.5 for better stability) etched in the position of switch clips to have them slot in. This way you get a 100% acrylic case and you wouldn't need an aluminum plate.
Any news about your 2mm plate Matt3o?
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline AcidFire

• Axios - The Open Source Modular Ergonomic Keyboard
« Reply #105 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 12:47:18 »
Forgive me if this is already common knowledge here, but here in the shop for mounting holes for 4-40 & M3 we use a dimension of 2.4x2.6mm for designs on the laser. This allows the screws to self tap, however over tightening will crack the acrylic. Thankfully though there's usually enough resistance to tell you when you've got it in the sweet spot.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #106 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 12:53:04 »
Interested to see what comes out of this thread!

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 12:53:48 »
I haven't forgotten about this btw. I've got the newest measurements for the GH60 so will try and update the files soon. I've just been a bit lazy since I'm on my summer holidays..
github

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 19:34:22 »
You got my vote!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #109 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 21:10:57 »
I haven't forgotten about this btw. I've got the newest measurements for the GH60 so will try and update the files soon. I've just been a bit lazy since I'm on my summer holidays..
Awesome man!
And thanks for your time!
 :)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 16:34:35 »
Count me as interested...

Offline gropingmantis

« Reply #111 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 17:01:12 »
Will you be doing the drawings for all of the potential GH60 plates/styles (ISO HHKB is my favourite flavour at the moment) Would be really cool to get something like the 2TU HHMX with the clear acrylic sides and internal LEDs.

Offline battletux

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 15:50:30 »
Just the thing I've been looking for for my 2 PCBs. Stupid Question but will the design allow us to use the plates from the GH60 GB or to go plateless?

Offline gnubag

« Reply #113 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 15:55:05 »
Just the thing I've been looking for for my 2 PCBs. Stupid Question but will the design allow us to use the plates from the GH60 GB or to go plateless?

pretty sure you need a special plate for the case

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #114 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 15:57:23 »
You will need a custom plate for any plate mount case I do.

I may do a PCB mount one that you won't need a custom plate for, but I doubt it.. it would need to be CNC'd.
github

Offline thoere

« Reply #115 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 20:52:36 »
Very interested in this case design. I need a case for my HHKB-style GH60.

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman

Offline thoere

« Reply #117 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 18:39:56 »
Any updates? Just curious

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 19:20:38 »
Any updates? Just curious
Yeah. To put it simply ;
-I know more now than I did when I designed these cases.
-Design 3 isn't would be quite expensive, and it wouldn't be possible to have removable switch tops. Because of this I'm ditching design 3. However, something similar can be done by simply gluing threaded standoffs to a laser cut plate in order to get somthing very similar.
-Design 2.. same as design 3.. would be expensive to have the top piece machined, and removabl switch tops wouldn't be possible. The only realistic way to have it done would be to have the top plate laser cut, then have the countersinks added afterwards.
-Design 1 will be finalised soon.

I'll maybe come up with a few more designs too.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 August 2013, 19:22:51 by Photekq »
github

Offline Nask

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 04:52:21 »
Annnnnnd definitely in. :)
Keyboards: IBM SSK | Noppoo Choc Mini MX-Blue | PLU ML-87 MX-Brown | CM QFR Mx-Red | CM Novatouch

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 08:59:56 »
I'll maybe come up with a few more designs too.
More?
Awesome man!

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 22:46:14 »

It would need standoffs. The GB plates are very close to the size of the PCB so they cannot really be sandwiched.

Forgive me if I have missed this, but I haven't seen a direct answer in my reading of this thread. Will one of the designs be what domo is asking about here? A tray style case made with layers of acrylic that has standoff holes in the bottom layer? Something like the cases that takaki is currently doing for TKL sized boards? I was kinda hoping for something like this because I have plates and PCBs coming for the GH60. I was hoping to be able to build a simple clear acrylic case to show off the pretty internals but also be able to use the GH60 plates. I was gonna try to learn enough about CAD to draw up a simple design to take to a local cutter, but then I saw this thread and I thought just such an open source design would eventually be posted here. I see now though that it seems all of the designs in this thread seem to include an integral plate in the case design.

So, is this type of tray case going to be one of the designs produced in this open source project?

I really do like the designs I have seen here. You guys make some pretty designs. I was just also hoping for an option to drop in a plate and PCB combo from the GH60 group buy.
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 17:47:30 »
I am planning on making a universal case + plate for 60%

These are going to start out as layered designs, which could be used for aluminum/steel/acrylic cases and later we can combine layers and come up with machined cases similar to what  Photekq has been working on.

What I have in mind is the case with a plate would allow for PCBs from GH60/Poker/Poker II/Pure. We can have a variety of layouts like the GH60 plates by WFD. The case only option would allow you to fit the GH60 plates by WFD and also the Poker II plates.

I know we might not end up with a universal case, but we can with a universal design, where small tweaks like position of certain cutouts have to be changed.

What were are looking for thus are:
- PCB layouts
- Plate layouts
- Location of USB cable, usb connector of any sort
- Dipswitch positions
- Teensy controller button position
- Any other cutouts required

For the following keyboards:
- GH60 PCB and plates (WFD's)
- Poker PCB
- Poker II PCB and plate
- Pure PCB
- Pure Pro PCB and plate

I would do all this myself, except I have no 60% board, the GH60 PCB and Plate dimensions are available online, so I can handle that,

If members can club in and get the required data, I'll get atleast the layered case ready for the 60%, this will all be open source ofcourse.

Compatibility for universal design so far:

DesignPCBPlate
GH60DoneDone
PokerDoneN/A
Poker 2DonePending
PureDoneN/A
Pure ProDonePending
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 October 2013, 13:34:31 by MOZ »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 17:48:56 »
This thread seemed appropriate for what I am aiming to do, thus posted here and also created this thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47744.0

as I required these CAD resources myself and imagined how anyone else might as well.

Offline pasph

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 19:29:11 »
Why none want's to make a full size case? :(
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 19:42:20 »

you have seen how expensive the tkl cases are.
imagine the price of a full size one.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #126 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 19:50:39 »

Because there are way too many variations.

We can hoeever have a community open source design keyboard including the PCB, plate, everything.

Offline dante

« Reply #127 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 16:42:01 »
I wanted to show my interest in this.  I had dragged my sorry sad ass across snow, sand, and mud and I'm interested in building my own GH60.  Of course I have to also wait and be patient and show sad puppy eyes to some GH60 buyer who purchased one too many boards.

Anyway, most of the keyboards today are too heavy and I like to fidget (move around) my keyboard while I'm using it which is why I'm here - I'd like an acrylic case for a PCB only GH60.   My hopes and dreams is that it will be no heavier than a stock poker and not as bendy/buckling in the middle.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #128 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 20:04:44 »
How about using these rivets at the top and bottom: http://www.ebay.com/itm/50pcs-Flat-Head-Metric-Steel-Blind-Insert-Rivet-Nut-Rivnut-M3-/360614015609

And these grub screws in between: http://www.ebay.com/itm/20pcs-M3-3mm-M3-20mm-Head-Hex-Socket-Set-Grub-Screws-Metric-Threaded-Cup-Point-/321003790711

This should give a pretty clean look, without those big nuts and bolts protruding. And on a laser cut case, around 1mm depth can be etched, so the rivet tops are flush with the acrylic.

What do you think guys?

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #129 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 20:07:03 »
How do you screw them? The rivets don't seem to have anything to use a screwdriver on.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 20:16:55 »
How do you screw them? The rivets don't seem to have anything to use a screwdriver on.

Pressure, you push them in. To screw it tightly it would require you to first half screw a temp screw on one side and then once rivet is inserted on both sides, you can tighten the grub screw using an alan key.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 20:23:21 »
and these could be used based on the size as stand offs for current plates

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 20:27:37 »
Interested in those moz.. Problem with getting a truely tidy, cheap case is getting threaded holes somewhere. So.. those go in by pressure? You could literally attach them to a solid piece of acrylic? How about alu/steel? Are there alternatives for those materials that you're aware of?
github

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 20:39:54 »
Interested in those moz.. Problem with getting a truely tidy, cheap case is getting threaded holes somewhere. So.. those go in by pressure? You could literally attach them to a solid piece of acrylic? How about alu/steel? Are there alternatives for those materials that you're aware of?

Ideal, a rivet is riveted using a rivet tool lik this: http://image.pushauction.com/ViewPicture.aspx?Key=8d43be89-3131-4df4-8646-3b1de9d7e2af_9d47ba49-e713-4c1c-8665-e7682aa73537

However I believe this could be a great workaround by just pushing the rivet in by pressure. This should be pretty tight, the second option would be to use a flanged nut, at the top and bottom., the hexagon shape of the nut can be cut in the acrylic.

I agree with you regarding the point abut a tidy and cheap look. I don't like acrylic being glued, if it can be avoided, I would avoid it (I know I have some projects where I am glueing acrylic but the dimensions there are much to small to allow bolting/screwing). With acrylic you can't rally tap it, because from my experience, threading in acrylic wears off real quick, opne/close the case a couple of time,s and the threading would be really damaged.

I am really not aware of anything for alu/steel, to be honest. Even with acrylic I have only a little bit of experience.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 20:45:35 »
oh oh oh i think i have one of those riveting tools somewhere (although mine is like 1x1x2metres, so not sure if it's suited)! Thanks for reminding me of these threaded rivets etc, it was something i was gonna look up and then forgot..

and yeah, hex nut was something i was thinking of too. would be easy to glue a few in.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 September 2013, 20:48:38 by Photekq »
github

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 20:57:33 »
I don't have time to read through, would these cases have an integrated plate as the middle layer?
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 21:01:19 »
I don't have time to read through, would these cases have an integrated plate as the middle layer?

Yes.

If someone could order those rivet nuts and grub screws or get them locally, and test, it would be awesome. Also flanged hex nuts

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 21:02:28 »

Yes.

If someone could order those rivet nuts and grub screws or get them locally, and test, it would be awesome. Also flanged hex nuts
i'll see if i have any cash leftover from tek-80. if so i'll get some along with some scrap acrylic. reckon you could have a hex nut acrylic piece laser cut?
github

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #138 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 21:08:01 »

Yes.

If we can make this happen sooner than later, I'm in. I have a 60% project I want to do soon.

EDIT: I should add, price is a factor. I saw that there was a 60% acrylic case done a while back for $45. If we can do that or better, that would be awesome.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 September 2013, 21:10:29 by pixel5 »
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #139 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 21:15:56 »
-- Snip --

Created a thread for TKL here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48007

i'll see if i have any cash leftover from tek-80. if so i'll get some along with some scrap acrylic. reckon you could have a hex nut acrylic piece laser cut?
I can do the hex nut just have to find some flanged hex nuts, plain old hex nut won't do.

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 15:53:31 »
Whats a realistic time frame for this GB to happen? The GH60 GB just sold a ton and is in production. Those guys will want cases soon, I imagine.
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 15:57:32 »
Whats a realistic time frame for this GB to happen? The GH60 GB just sold a ton and is in production. Those guys will want cases soon, I imagine.
This isn't a GB. This is a thread where a few people are throwing some case ideas around, the files will be released OS.. then it's up to everyone else if they want to run a GB or if people just want to get one made for themselves.
github

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 16:36:14 »
I would like to see something like the duck poker or FMJ case that is printable via shapeways at a reasonable price.
maybe a pipe dream :(

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 16:43:31 »
I would like to see something like the duck poker or FMJ case that is printable via shapeways at a reasonable price.
maybe a pipe dream :(
Well.. I could replicate the duck poker quite closely in about 15 minutes, but I'm not sure I'd feel too happy doing that :/
github

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 21:05:16 »
Got some screws, nuts and bolts. Couldn't get flang nut or rivet as vendor wanted 100 moq.

i'll try again.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #145 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 17:42:22 »
So, here is my first attempt.

This is compatible with the GH60 PCB and also the plates.

For the case w/o the plate, only the plate layer needs to be changed.

On the case with integrated plate, it goes without saying that you can have any layout supported by the PCB.

For bolting, I would recommend using dome nuts at the bottom and flange nuts/rivet (Yet to decide) on the top sides, and grubs screws in between.

All layers should be 3mm acrylic.

34652-0

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #146 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 17:55:27 »
I was literally in the process of finishing my design but now that you've posted that I don't think there's much point. Your design is practically identical to the one that I'm doing.
github

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #147 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 17:58:05 »
Hahha. I figured the Keepers of Faith have better things to do.

I think this will be it from me for the next week, as I have exams and I won't be able to give as much time, if any at all.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #148 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 17:59:53 »
Very nice!

So the total thickness of the case (with optional top layer) would be 18mm?  0.71 of an inch?  Not counting feet, of course.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #149 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 18:52:07 »
Very nice!

So the total thickness of the case (with optional top layer) would be 18mm?  0.71 of an inch?  Not counting feet, of course.

That is correct, you could go as low as 15mm with an acrylic case. I should also mention that the upper and lower feet are optional as well.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 September 2013, 18:58:41 by MOZ »