Author Topic: Topre lovers, brace yourselves...  (Read 92781 times)

Offline fateswarm

Re: Topre lovers, brace yourselves...
« Reply #500 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 01:06:23 »
You try getting one in Australia without paying silly shipping costs!
At least you have Korea a bit closer to you.  ;)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #501 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 10:08:12 »
I'm so sold on this thing.. I absolutely love it!

So Jocelyn - now that you've tried both.. Topre or your Ergo Clears? ;D

Both!!! Topre feels so much smoother (like butter!!) and it leaves me wanting lighter springs in my Poker. I'm going to have to type on both for a bit longer to fully conclude, but I think I like different aspects of each and will never be able to choose one over the other.

Edit - I'd like to add that I believe the bit about me wanting lighter springs in my Poker is me being delusional lol. I'm fairly sure my brain thinks I'll get something closer to Topre by doing this, when in fact I'll only obtain a more pronounced bump, which is really nothing like Topre. That said, I'm very happy that I like both.

Btw, did you see my dip switch question above? You're probably going to think I'm crazy, but I was hoping for this.

Ctrl/Alt/Fn/Spacebar/Alt/Ctrl/Win

This should be doable with switch 2 & 3 turned on, but for some reason 2 becomes disabled when both 2 & 3 are turned on giving you this.

Ctrl/Fn/Alt/Spacebar/Alt/Ctrl/Win

It's minor, but I've already confirmed this is happening with other people's FC660Cs, and it doesn't make sense to me. I believe it was an oversight by Leopold and I'm hoping they'll fix it.

Yeah I tried that same thing this morning  :(

Great minds think alike!!  ;)

Actually I'd like to  have two Fn buttons, one on either side of the space bar!!  ;D
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 June 2013, 13:09:21 by ray4jc »

Offline blissdev

• twitter
« Reply #502 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 14:23:02 »
Where can I buy one of these and ship to the US? Need.
Leopold FC660C - Maybe Ergodox?

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #503 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 16:11:24 »

Elitekeyboards sells them but they are currently out of stock. Looks like more are due in at the end of the month though.
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #504 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 17:08:13 »

qtan gets a few in occasionally, I think there might be one more in his current batch.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jabar

« Reply #505 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 20:07:19 »
I haven't used my Cherry MX keyboards since my FC660C arrived.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #506 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 20:35:59 »

^^^

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #507 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 21:38:01 »

What switches have you in your MX keyboards, that you prefer Topre over them?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline morpheus

« Reply #508 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 22:08:52 »
I am now one with the rubber dome. I get it now. It's the smoothness.

I wanna sell all my MX boards and get a Realforce now.

Offline jabar

« Reply #509 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 22:17:33 »

I have used Blues, Greens, Blacks, Reds, Clears, Ergo Clears. Just haven't had the desire to swap out the keyboard.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #510 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 22:29:21 »

I'm really afraid this is going to happen to me, might have to send the FC660C away before it does :P

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #511 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 22:33:34 »

I have used Blues, Greens, Blacks, Reds, Clears, Ergo Clears. Just haven't had the desire to swap out the keyboard.

Fair enough, thanks.  just wondering if there was a particular MX switch that had lost favour.

Offline blissdev

• twitter
« Reply #512 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 00:43:38 »
I desire this keyboard so hard, but it seems impossible to get in the US. Will have to see if EK gets it back in stock.
Leopold FC660C - Maybe Ergodox?

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #513 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 04:03:58 »
After having this keyboard for a few weeks, I have decided topre is my switch of choice. That being said, I am looking into picking up a 55g realforce now.
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #514 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 10:25:10 »
After having this keyboard for a few weeks, I have decided topre is my switch of choice. That being said, I am looking into picking up a 55g realforce now.
You will be very happy with the RF 55g 87u, I've had mine for a couple of months now & really like the 55g they feel very responsive and snappy yet non fatiguing. E.K. warns in their site that the 55g is stiff but they don't fell heavy at all to me.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #515 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 11:32:16 »
It can depend on the board. The 55g Anniversary Edition I have is quite noticeably stiffer than the standard 55g I bought from EK.

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #516 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 14:32:34 »
Well so far the reasoning behind my buying a 55g is because of the extra stiffness of the keys. With my 45g board ive noticed every now and then ill accidentally hit a button or two :/
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #517 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 17:46:22 »
LOL these are orange keyboards :))

http://wscolor.com/color/fc660c

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #518 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 00:05:29 »
you should grab a topre board, philly
I already have a 660C ordered, it's gonna be tough waiting until there back in stock!  :D  I guess i'll just have to get by watching youtube typing videos.  I can't tell you guys how many times I've been ridiculed by friends when I'm caught watching typing test videos on youtube, haha.

Feels. They just don't understand. Ever since finding out about mechanical keyboards and being such an avid computer nerd, I just had to look more into them and have since been an addict.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #519 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 16:20:48 »
My FC660C didn't come with extra WASD caps, but got a gold-plated USB cable and white LEDs. Must be a special edition.

26338-0  26336-1 

Offline Sniping

« Reply #520 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 19:35:18 »
My FC660C didn't come with extra WASD caps, but got a gold-plated USB cable and white LEDs. Must be a special edition.

(Attachment Link)   (Attachment Link)

Wow, so jealous. I knew something was up when I didn't get a gold plated cable. I'd actually keep my insert LED on if it didn't come in such a generic color.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #521 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 19:44:34 »
Wow, nice!  I like the white led!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #522 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 19:53:13 »
What colour is it usually?

And what checkboxes on the side of the keyboard box are checked?

I'm slightly wondering whether this is what the "white" option means.

Offline calavera

« Reply #523 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 20:16:41 »
I'm thinking red.

Offline kelske

• The North Borders
« Reply #524 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 20:31:39 »

Hah! but then the other option alongside 'white' is 'black'.. My LED's are red though ;D

Looks totally awesome with white LED's - WFD I'm sure during your tear down video you show red LEDs.. you be trolling!!
HHKB Type-S 55g - FC660M - FC210TP

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #525 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 20:32:36 »
Ah, trolled! I'm totally going to change out my LED now, just to be different.  Purp!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #526 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 20:39:25 »
So are we still holding out hope for a white (case and keycaps) version?

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #527 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 20:39:59 »
it's on the box, so I assume they're at least thinking about it seriously.  I hope so... I'll buy one.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #528 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 20:40:58 »

Hah! but then the other option alongside 'white' is 'black'.. My LED's are red though ;D

Looks totally awesome with white LED's - WFD I'm sure during your tear down video you show red LEDs.. you be trolling!!

Oh don't worry, I actually have his FC660C right now and changed the LEDs to magenta ;)

Offline kelske

• The North Borders
« Reply #529 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 20:56:11 »
I remember someone saying that they hadn't released the white version because of keycap legend printing issues or something?

Aww hell.. just release the blank versions already! :mad:
HHKB Type-S 55g - FC660M - FC210TP

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #530 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 21:11:10 »
I remember someone saying that they hadn't released the white version because of keycap legend printing issues or something?

Aww hell.. just release the blank versions already! :mad:

Yeah, I read that somewhere too.

Time to wait.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #531 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 21:12:31 »
Someone should probably go and tell them that no one actually wants their cheap pad printing anyway haha

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #532 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 21:15:18 »
Someone should probably go and tell them that no one actually wants their cheap pad printing anyway haha

If only there was a wide range of alternative Topre keycaps available (for HHKB 2 Pro too, btw) ...

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #533 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 22:02:28 »
I keep Insert Lock on all the time, and the red/orange light was a tad too bright for me.  (I don't like LEDs usually.)  I took it apart and put a dimmish green LED on it instead.  Yay!
26357-0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #534 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 22:41:25 »
I keep Insert Lock on all the time, and the red/orange light was a tad too bright for me.  (I don't like LEDs usually.)  I took it apart and put a dimmish green LED on it instead.  Yay!
(Attachment Link)

^ Yellow enter!

Where did you get that from, and do you know if it will fit the HHKB?

Since getting the HHKB, I have a red Esc and yellow Esc, but there doesn't seem to be any keycap sets for it apart from black or white from EK.

Thanks!

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #535 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 23:00:04 »
Elitekeyboards used to sell them individually.  I guess they don't anymore...
http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access#toprekeys

But regardless, I believe the enter keys are the same size for the HHKB, so any of those sets should work to replace most of the keys.  I sold my HHKB before I got this key though, so I never had it on a HHKB.  But I'm with you, I'd love some more ways to make it unique...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #536 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 23:03:54 »
Elitekeyboards used to sell them individually.  I guess they don't anymore...
http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access#toprekeys

But regardless, I believe the enter keys are the same size for the HHKB, so any of those sets should work to replace most of the keys.  I sold my HHKB before I got this key though, so I never had it on a HHKB.  But I'm with you, I'd love some more ways to make it unique...

Sorry to bug you a little further on this ... have you any idea whether many of these 16 keys would suit a HHKB?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43270.0

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #537 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 23:05:51 »
I'm not the best to answer that, but someone with both keyboard at hand probably can.  But I'm almost certain that they are the same profile.  So other than perhaps some modifier keys being different widths, they should fit.  I forget what size the HHKB mods are.

Edit: Actually, here you go! http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34567.0
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 June 2013, 23:07:39 by aggiejy »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #538 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 23:12:49 »
Sweet - thanks for that.

Love reaper's pic (as usual).

I am still slowly learning the HHKB layout, so blanks are out for me for a while yet.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #539 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 06:44:10 »
I haven't really touched my cherry boards either since using this. Late night typing sessions haven't been this good since I used my browns.

Offline naisanza

« Reply #540 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 08:40:29 »
Sweet - thanks for that.

I am still slowly learning the HHKB layout, so blanks are out for me for a while yet.

you should of jumped right in! I did and it took 2 weeks to get used to. It's been three years now and I couldn't be happier to know that nobody can use my keyboard!
| HHKB2ProOtaku | KBCPokerOtaku(MXblue) | KBTPureOrangeBrown | Heatware

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #541 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 14:08:17 »
Sweet - thanks for that.

you should of jumped right in! I did and it took 2 weeks to get used to. It's been three years now and I couldn't be happier to know that nobody can use my keyboard!

I switch too often between different layouts.

Actually having used more conventional layouts for many years, I find that I am more used to certain aspects of the HHKB, like the position of backspace, and keep hitting \| on a conventional TKL.

The converse does not happen when going from TKL back to HHKB.

Offline Yzeets

« Reply #542 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 15:40:35 »
Have they had a switch tester for topre yet?

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #543 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 15:52:50 »
I really like that layout. A small board with arrow keys!
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #544 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 18:32:04 »
Finally got my FC660C. Best switches ever, next to my IBM buckling springs. Now Leopold needs to make available some alternative Topre keycaps. I'd like to see a two-tone dye-sub PBT set similar to the quality and appearance of the keycaps on the RF 87u or the HHKB Pro 2.

Offline Travellerr

« Reply #545 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 17:55:26 »
I already have a 660C ordered, it's gonna be tough waiting until there back in stock!  :D  I guess i'll just have to get by watching youtube typing videos.  I can't tell you guys how many times I've been ridiculed by friends when I'm caught watching typing test videos on youtube, haha.

Feels. They just don't understand. Ever since finding out about mechanical keyboards and being such an avid computer nerd, I just had to look more into them and have since been an addict.

My wife makes it her personal crusade in life to ridicule me in every way possible when watching mechanical keyboard reviews, typing videos, and or mod videos.  She'll sometimes call me from inside the room, just to talk crap about my keyboard fixation....I tell her " but babe you'll understand if you try one... it is just an experience...I ended up lending her my cooler master xt with cherry browns...I have yet to receive the cm xt, what was suppose to be a couple days turned into a month. So, I have decided with one of my boards commandeered I owe it to myself to replace the gap in my soul, with a Leopold fc660c  ;D :thumb: wish me luck, because I may be able to order one tonight
Leopold FC660C- Realforce 87u 55g- QFR mx Blues

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #546 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 18:04:52 »

My wife makes it her personal crusade in life to ridicule me in every way possible when watching mechanical keyboard reviews, typing videos, and or mod videos.  She'll sometimes call me from inside the room, just to talk crap about my keyboard fixation....I tell her " but babe you'll understand if you try one... it is just an experience...I ended up lending her my cooler master xt with cherry browns...I have yet to receive the cm xt, what was suppose to be a couple days turned into a month. So, I have decided with one of my boards commandeered I owe it to myself to replace the gap in my soul, with a Leopold fc660c  ;D :thumb: wish me luck, because I may be able to order one tonight

Sounds like someone may be bidding on a 660C on ebay ;)

It's only at about $135 shipped. Go at it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141130392912?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #547 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 21:36:13 »
Some lucky bastard got it for 137 smackers!
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #548 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 21:43:21 »
Some lucky bastard got it for 137 smackers!

137 and a half!