Author Topic: Unicomp keyboards: Charms of their own?  (Read 30396 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Unicomp keyboards: Charms of their own?
« on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 07:27:17 »
Much has been said about whether Unicomp's Model M's live up to the high standards of IBM's "classic" Model M's of the '80s–'90s.

123329-0

Some people consider IBMs unequivocally superior, citing the heavier, more solid feel of their thicker cases and plates, and their more refined appearance (better typography and printing quality, more uniform molding).

I bought into that for a while. However, since I've been alternately typing on an IBM 1391401 and a Unicomp Ultra Classic, my opinion's changed.

IBM was very image-conscious. They considered their products' esthetics and visual consistency as important as how well they performed. But they were one of the world's biggest companies; they could afford the best designers and the strictest quality control.

Unicomp's tiny, and serves a niche market: nostalgic computer veterans, and those of us imaginative and eccentric enough to value buckling-spring keyboards in the 21st century, like people who use fine fountain pens.

I like nice-looking keyboards. Indeed, many of them are designed like art objects. And as a creative person, I often appreciate the interesting, appealing forms functional objects can take.

But to me, a keyboard's primarily a typing machine. I spend a lot more time thinking about what I'm writing than examining what's under my fingers. So the more I've used these keyboards, the less I've bothered comparing their looks.

That leaves how they work and feel. And while I agree the IBM feels more solid, the Unicomp has something the IBM doesn't. Liveliness? Personality? Its touch is lighter. It's noisier, less contained-sounding. The IBM makes me think of fluorescent-lighted, climate-controlled rooms with guys in crewcuts and skinny ties talking into phones and consulting clipboards. The Unicomp makes me think of popcorn, fireworks, banjo music. It's the keyboard The Cat in the Hat would've used.

They're both cool; the Unicomp's just not as stodgy. Let's face it: The very idea of making BS boards in an age of iPhones and 80-inch TVs is impractical, maybe even a bit goofy. And yet audacious, idealistic little Unicomp says, "Here we are!" It's like finding out you can still buy Lava Lites and tie-dye shirts. (You can, actually, though no one under 30 will have any idea what I'm talking about.)

So maybe it doesn't matter that Unicomp keyboards aren't as massive, flawlessly molded or carefully printed as IBMs. Unicomp's not trying to make the kinds of keyboards they made when cars had chrome fenders and furniture was solid wood. It's remarkable that Unicomp's making keyboards at all.

I really like the contrast between the two. It's like going to a fine restaurant one night, and a great pizza parlor the next. There's a lot to appreciate in both. I wouldn't want them to be the same.

Thoughts?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline fanpeople

Re: Unicomp keyboards: Charms of their own?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 07:38:01 »
#Unicompssk2016

This years the year guys

I cant comment on the difference as i don't own a unicomp but the fact that they offer custom options like colourrd key caps and spare springs for my SSK makes me appreciate their existance. They even print custom keycaps when you remind them that it is somthing they can actually do.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 08:06:45 »
I wouldn't want them to be the same.

That we can agree on. There's a reason IBM manufactured Model M's have the reputation they do today, and it wasn't forged on cutting corners. Original Model M's were high quality in practically all respects and that's what I appreciate about them. Unicomp still makes the original style Model M you refer to as stodgy. They just don't make them to IBM's higher quality standards. You might think of Unicomp keyboards as the more 'hip' alternative, however if price is any indicator there's a reason used Unicomp Model M's sell for two, three, and four times less than an IBM manufactured Model M on eBay. They're just not as popular.

Unicomp's not trying to make the kinds of keyboards they made when cars had chrome fenders and furniture was solid wood.

Of course they are. It's why they brag about the original "Model M" they produce on their front page.  Why wouldn't they take advantage of the Model M's legacy to sell keyboards?

Why purchase an imitator when you can buy the original “Model M”. We have produced the buckling spring “Click” keyboard for IBM and thousands of discriminating users worldwide for 15 years.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 09:01:30 »
Much has been said about whether Unicomp's Model M's live up to the high standards of IBM's "classic" Model M's of the '80s–'90s.

(Attachment Link)

Some people consider IBMs unequivocally superior, citing the heavier, more solid feel of their thicker cases and plates, and their more refined appearance (better typography and printing quality, more uniform molding).

I bought into that for a while. However, since I've been alternately typing on an IBM 1391401 and a Unicomp Ultra Classic, my opinion's changed.

IBM was very image-conscious. They considered their products' esthetics and visual consistency as important as how well they performed. But they were one of the world's biggest companies; they could afford the best designers and the strictest quality control.

Unicomp's tiny, and serves a niche market: nostalgic computer veterans, and those of us imaginative and eccentric enough to value buckling-spring keyboards in the 21st century, like people who use fine fountain pens.

I like nice-looking keyboards. Indeed, many of them are designed like art objects. And as a creative person, I often appreciate the interesting, appealing forms functional objects can take.

But to me, a keyboard's primarily a typing machine. I spend a lot more time thinking about what I'm writing than examining what's under my fingers. So the more I've used these keyboards, the less I've bothered comparing their looks.

That leaves how they work and feel. And while I agree the IBM feels more solid, the Unicomp has something the IBM doesn't. Liveliness? Personality? Its touch is lighter. It's noisier, less contained-sounding. The IBM makes me think of fluorescent-lighted, climate-controlled rooms with guys in crewcuts and skinny ties talking into phones and consulting clipboards. The Unicomp makes me think of popcorn, fireworks, banjo music. It's the keyboard The Cat in the Hat would've used.

They're both cool; the Unicomp's just not as stodgy. Let's face it: The very idea of making BS boards in an age of iPhones and 80-inch TVs is impractical, maybe even a bit goofy. And yet audacious, idealistic little Unicomp says, "Here we are!" It's like finding out you can still buy Lava Lites and tie-dye shirts. (You can, actually, though no one under 30 will have any idea what I'm talking about.)

So maybe it doesn't matter that Unicomp keyboards aren't as massive, flawlessly molded or carefully printed as IBMs. Unicomp's not trying to make the kinds of keyboards they made when cars had chrome fenders and furniture was solid wood. It's remarkable that Unicomp's making keyboards at all.

I really like the contrast between the two. It's like going to a fine restaurant one night, and a great pizza parlor the next. There's a lot to appreciate in both. I wouldn't want them to be the same.

Thoughts?
Some very good points, and I agree with you. However, the comparison picture you posted does make the Unicomp look especially, offensively ugly compared to the IBM xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline noons

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 09:54:29 »
I would love to own a unicomp, shame they still haven't released a TKL
Tofu65 Turquoise Tealios | Drop ALT LP Alpacas | 2X Leopold FC750R MX Brown | KUL MX Brown w/Cherry Stab MOD | Leopold FC660C BLANK | REALFORCE 87U 45G | HHKB PRO2 | Leopold TKL MX RED | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX BLUE

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 19:39:09 »
As an owner of several models of each brand, I've got to say that I love them both. The Unicomps are slightly different, but still very satisfying in their own way - a sentiment I think is pretty common among owners of both brands. I personally would not really think of them as fancy restaurant vs quality pizza joint. I could say that my Topre 87u is a fancy restaurant, and my old Keytronic DESIGNER-P2 is like a good pizza joint. Both provide a different, but still pleasing experience in their own ways. I love my RealForce, but I wouldn't want that to be my only keyboard. Getting back on topic, I would compare IBM vs Unicomp as more of a Lexus vs Toyota situation. The Unicomp innards deliver a very similar experience, but the little details in the IBM make it feel more lux. That being said, I like the slightly more compact Unicomp footprint, and their switches are simply great. If there's a Unicomp on my desk, I can't walk past it without quickly typing something on it, just to feel those switches actuate.  :D

If Unicomp would make a special edition SSK model, they would see huge demand. It must be very expensive for them to do that, as it would seem like such a no-brainer - I'd buy one for sure.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 20:22:52 »
If Unicomp would make a special edition SSK model, they would see huge demand. It must be very expensive for them to do that, as it would seem like such a no-brainer - I'd buy one for sure.
Much as I admire them for what they're doing, really Unicomp isn't a very market-driven company at all :p .

Offline brentaarnold

• An astonishingly decent man
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 20:29:55 »
If Unicomp would make a special edition SSK model, they would see huge demand.

This. A million times this.
My WTB/WTS/WTT Thread

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence; and that which can be asserted without evidence may also be dismissed without it." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 23:13:25 »

(Attachment Link)

Thoughts?

I love reading posts like this (and from this guy especially ;))

Now that I've been able to come out of my all-Ms bubble and experience some Unicomps as well as other keyboards of the era, I'm able to get a much better picture of the climate of that time in terms of keyboards.  IBM was the king, no doubt about it and the clones were trying to be the king on a budget.

Fast forward to today and there is no king anymore.  In fact there's barely a kingdom.  Just a bunch of squires in different camps trying to gain more followers.

But while the king was on top, the servants were watching, and they slowly picked up where the king left off, in a market where a king isn't even needed.  That's not easy to do, especially with such a niche business as custom buckling spring keyboards.  Unicomp, their product be whatever they may, have singlehandedly kept the kings dream alive.

Quality control has changed on many, many things, not just keyboards.  I can tell in each year variation of cars that I have.  I can tell the second I sit in a 'luxury' car today.  Things are no longer made to last because no one wants them to last--not the maker, not the user, not even the designer.  It's a disposable world and Unicomp is keeping the king's vision of 'built-to-last' alive in its own way--while still serving the kings subjects.

I may not even be making sense now since I should have slept 2hrs ago...

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 23:13:29 »
Don't bash Unicomp.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 23:15:43 »
Don't bash Unicomp.

Who's bashing Unicomp?
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 23:19:21 »
Don't bash Unicomp.

Who's bashing Unicomp?

Who doesn't?  I am in a mood right now.  Never mind me.  Carry on.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 23:32:55 »
In my opinion, IBM vs. Unicomp is akin to Gibson vs. Epiphone. Given the choice, I don't know anyone who'd prefer an Epiphone Les Paul Standard over an original Gibson Les Paul Standard.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 January 2016, 23:37:17 by 1391406 »

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 23:39:58 »
I like the 103 layout over the 101.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 03:28:47 »

I like the classic 101 layout over the abomination that is the latest Unicomp layout.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 10:44:36 »
Much as I admire them for what they're doing, really Unicomp isn't a very market-driven company at all :p .

I agree. I would be very interested in how business has been for them over all these years. I would be very depressed if they ever went out of business. My guess is they just run a very lean operation, and are risk adverse when it comes to branching out to creating different products.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 11:29:08 »

I like the classic 101 layout over the abomination that is the latest Unicomp layout.

The comparison is minimal with the 103. 

IBM 42H1292 (4th gen PS/2 IBM UK)
*ClickyKeyboards.com
http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/30487/subcatid/0/id/576797

Unicomp UNI0446 (PS/2 with new Unicomp white overlay)
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 January 2016, 11:31:13 by Snowdog993 »

Offline gorebrush

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 09:36:53 »
I bought a black Unicomp Model M (in fact imported it directly from Unicomp a few years ago).

The key response felt great, my only gripe with it was that the plastic casing was not the same standard as the "original" IBM Model M's that I remember from the early 90's (used to own an IBM Model 55 PS/2 computer that came with a Model M, just wish I'd kept it!)

I sold my black Unicomp in the end and I've decided to try and get a "proper" IBM Model M off eBay. Not sure I'll even use it that much but I am certainly interested in getting an authentic one and using it again. Definitely turning into some kind of obsession now.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 20:01:20 »
I sold my black Unicomp in the end and I've decided to try and get a "proper" IBM Model M off eBay. Not sure I'll even use it that much but I am certainly interested in getting an authentic one and using it again. Definitely turning into some kind of obsession now.
Welcome to the club! :D  We love that obsession here. :thumb:

The comparison is minimal with the 103. 

IBM 42H1292 (4th gen PS/2 IBM UK)
*ClickyKeyboards.com
http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/30487/subcatid/0/id/576797

Show Image

Unicomp UNI0446 (PS/2 with new Unicomp white overlay)
Show Image

Very nice comparison!  The 103 buttons just fit naturally imo.

I like the classic 101 layout...
Me too.  I hate windows keys.  I'm so glad my Logitech g710 has a button to turn them off.  In fact, that's one of the reasons I prefer vintage boards--the classic 101 layout.  :thumb:

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 22:28:34 »
They even print custom keycaps when you remind them that it is somthing they can actually do.

ROFL. Really though, great people with a very unique business. I'm glad they still do what they do.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 05:39:57 »
Welcome to the club! :D  We love that obsession here. :thumb:

It's normal to be obsessed for keyboards here on Geekhack, hence you're in good company here.  We all act like a rabid pack of Pedos looking for their next victim (keyboard)  8) .

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 04:13:09 »
Hey guys – Sorry, I've been especially busy, and haven't been able to get back to all the threads I wanted to.

If Unicomp would make a special edition SSK model, they would see huge demand...

No, they're not. I have no idea if they're actually selling enough BS KBs to make a viable business. I hope they are—but sometimes I wonder if they're doing it primarily out of love for the technology and the history. If I were financially independent and had a chance to run a company like that (especially with the original production line!), I don't think I'd hesitate. The thrill of actually producing such a product, and doing the best I could at it, would be immense. Most of you probably feel the same.

Don't bash Unicomp.

I wouldn't dream of it. This thread's Subject was quite sincere.

When I started this topic, I'd had coffee—thus I waxed a bit more colourfully than was probably necessary. But I was just having some fun with it, too. Not everything has to be serious. (Well, don't tell that to my wife, but otherwise...)

For the life of me, I can't figure out why U. decided to move the R Windows key next to the spacebar after having it in the normal position for so long. I always use L Windows, so it wouldn't affect me personally—but you can't help wondering what they had in mind, changing such a standard thing.

Some very good points, and I agree with you. However, the comparison picture you posted does make the Unicomp look especially, offensively ugly compared to the IBM xD .

LOL. That's not actually my photo. I wanted to start this thread with photos of the two boards. (Aside from the visual interest, I figured people probably sign in here who aren't familiar with Unicomp—or even with IBM's M's, yet—and who'd benefit from a look at them both.) So I found a simple, clear photo of an IBM; then I looked for a photo of a Unicomp that was as similar in angle and lighting as possible. That's what I found. So no, it wasn't a deliberate attempt to make either better- or worse-looking than the other.

I love reading posts like [the OP] (and from this guy especially ;)) ...

Thanks, my dude!

...Now that I've been able to come out of my all-Ms bubble and experience some Unicomps as well as other keyboards of the era, I'm able to get a much better picture of the climate of that time in terms of keyboards.  IBM was the king, no doubt about it and the clones were trying to be the king on a budget.

Fast forward to today and there is no king anymore.  In fact there's barely a kingdom.  Just a bunch of squires in different camps trying to gain more followers.

But while the king was on top, the servants were watching, and they slowly picked up where the king left off, in a market where a king isn't even needed.  That's not easy to do, especially with such a niche business as custom buckling spring keyboards.  Unicomp, their product be whatever they may, have singlehandedly kept the kings dream alive.

I couldn't put it better myself.

Quality control has changed on many, many things, not just keyboards.  I can tell in each year variation of cars that I have.  I can tell the second I sit in a 'luxury' car today.  Things are no longer made to last because no one wants them to last--not the maker, not the user, not even the designer.  It's a disposable world and Unicomp is keeping the king's vision of 'built-to-last' alive in its own way--while still serving the kings subjects.

You're completely right, of course. Sunbeam couldn't possibly make profitable versions today of their tank-like classic chrome toasters of the '50s and '60s. (My wife recently sold the one she inherited to a collector, and it was working as well as when it was made.) It's just economic reality.

In my opinion, IBM vs. Unicomp is akin to Gibson vs. Epiphone. Given the choice, I don't know anyone who'd prefer an Epiphone Les Paul Standard over an original Gibson Les Paul Standard.

It's a valid comparison. And yet, I have an Epiphone jazz guitar and I love it. A Gibson would cost several times more, and of course have a more collectable name on the peghead. But while its build quality might be slightly better, there'd be absolutely nothing I could play on the Gibson that I couldn't on the Epi.

If I owned both, I probably would come to think of them as I do my IBM and Unicomp M's. I'd enjoy them equally—two high-quality instruments with two personalities. Vive la différence.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline 1391406

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 09:45:16 »

It's a valid comparison. And yet, I have an Epiphone jazz guitar and I love it. A Gibson would cost several times more, and of course have a more collectable name on the peghead. But while its build quality might be slightly better, there'd be absolutely nothing I could play on the Gibson that I couldn't on the Epi.

If I owned both, I probably would come to think of them as I do my IBM and Unicomp M's. I'd enjoy them equally—two high-quality instruments with two personalities. Vive la différence.

Whether others love Epiphone isn't in question. It's also not in question whether you can or can't play anything on an Epiphone, either.  The fact is Epiphone is Gibson's budget line of Les Paul's. Gibson original Les Pauls use higher quality electronics and wood, and they're built in the USA. All things being equal, Epiphone simply isn't up to original Les Paul standards. It's why Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Slash, Ace Frehley, Pete Townshend, Joe Perry, Alex Lifeson, and a slew of other iconic guitarists prefer original Les Pauls.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 February 2016, 10:32:29 by 1391406 »

Offline Homenubbie

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 12:45:32 »
USB 4Lyfe!

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 17:44:03 »

(Attachment Link)

Unicomp may be good and all and I'll probably buy one. But man, is that thing fugly. The model M is WAY more sexy.

And what's up with that led indication area? Gonna scrape that right off. :P
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 17:53:39 »
Unicomp may be good and all and I'll probably buy one. But man, is that thing fugly. The model M is WAY more sexy... And what's up with that led indication area? Gonna scrape that right off. :P

Funny you should mention that—as I just posted here:

Quote from: Me
An oft-voiced complaint.  :?)  But again, IBM was making enough on their hardware to keep visual designers on their staffs. The people who bought Lexmark and created Unicomp were engineers and executives who—primarily out of love for BS boards, I suspect—took on a daunting challenge even without designers on the payroll. So graphically, I see a Unicomp board as a left-brain engineer's vision of a Model M. I sort of like that.

The funny thing is, in that post I also linked back to this topic... Synchronicity in the KB universe.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 17:54:57 »
Unicomp may be good and all and I'll probably buy one. But man, is that thing fugly. The model M is WAY more sexy... And what's up with that led indication area? Gonna scrape that right off. :P

Funny you should mention that—as I just posted here:

Quote from: Me
An oft-voiced complaint.  :?)  But again, IBM was making enough on their hardware to keep visual designers on their staffs. The people who bought Lexmark and created Unicomp were engineers and executives who—primarily out of love for BS boards, I suspect—took on a daunting challenge even without designers on the payroll. So graphically, I see a Unicomp board as a left-brain engineer's vision of a Model M. I sort of like that.

The funny thing is, in that post I also linked back to this topic... Synchronicity in the KB universe.

Indeed. I was watching that topic as well but only read it as of now.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 19:31:24 »

Ditto.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 19:35:39 »

Abomination?!?  It hearkens back to the old Model Fs (from a bottom row switch position POV anyway)....

Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 19:36:30 »
I always liked how IBM put gaps where the Windows keys should have been instead of putting a function key or something.

It's kind of their way of sticking it to Microsoft, "We COULD have put a Windows key here but we didn't ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 19:47:48 »
I don't really see anything wrong with the look of a Unicomp...actually, it feels rather more human to me than a lot of the "minimal"-looking stuff that seems to be in fashion now.

If they put a better TrackPoint and one of those fancy Korean NKRO membranes in the EnduraPro, I'd buy one immediately. As it is, it'd probably be like most of my 2KRO keyboards and spend most of its time in my closet, at least until I found myself compelled to try and graft the TrackPoint from my ancient ThinkPad into it (which would probably result in the destruction of both the keyboard and what's left of the laptop).
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 April 2016, 22:24:35 by FoxWolf1 »
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 22:33:01 »
I don't really see anything wrong with the look of a Unicomp...actually, it feels rather more human to me than a lot of the "minimal"-looking stuff that seems to be in fashion now.

If they put a better TrackPoint and one of those fancy Korean NKRO membranes in the EnduraPro, I'd buy one immediately. As it is, it'd probably be like most of my 2KRO keyboards and spend most of its time in my closet, at least until I found myself compelled to try and graft the TrackPoint from my ancient ThinkPad into it (which would probably result in the destruction of both the keyboard and what's left of the laptop).

What about an M13?  Have you considered them at all?

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 23:06:28 »
What about an M13?  Have you considered them at all?

They're gorgeous-looking keyboards (IMO), and very tempting, but they've still got the same problems: 2KRO, and a TrackPoint that still isn't fully up to snuff. I expect the slow speed in particular would drive me crazy. Unfortunately, Windows pointer settings apply to all pointing devices connected to the machine, and are not all equal in terms of tracking performance, so unless I wind up using my desktop 100% for work, that setting must remain at 6/11 (with EPP off, of course).

Also, the nice thing about a Unicomp is that it can actually be bought new. I can clean a used keyboard, sure, but just because the keyboard is clean doesn't mean the nightmares about what was seen inside it during the process will go away...
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline 1391406

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 23:31:45 »
Also, the nice thing about a Unicomp is that it can actually be bought new. I can clean a used keyboard, sure, but just because the keyboard is clean doesn't mean the nightmares about what was seen inside it during the process will go away...

Some sellers clean their boards beforehand, but I'd gladly take a used M that needs a little cleaning vs. a new Unicomp any day. The quality of an IBM manufactured Model M makes Unicomp's quality standards seem shabby by comparison, in my opinion.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 00:53:13 »
I think that the M13 is kind of ugly, something about the texture on the plastic just looks cheap. Maybe it depends on the light.

Offline GAS KING

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 11:37:22 »

While I agree with you in regards to keyboards, not all Epiphones are bad, and not all Gibsons are good. 
I get the allure of having Gibson on the headstock, but Gibson has slid a long way from their former glory. 
Just because it's heavy, doesn't mean it's the best.  lol

Keyboard enthusiasts and guitar players/tone snobs have a lot more in common than not.   :))

« Last Edit: Mon, 11 April 2016, 11:44:57 by GAS KING »

Offline 1391406

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 21:39:37 »

While I agree with you in regards to keyboards, not all Epiphones are bad, and not all Gibsons are good. 
I get the allure of having Gibson on the headstock, but Gibson has slid a long way from their former glory. 
Just because it's heavy, doesn't mean it's the best.  lol

Keyboard enthusiasts and guitar players/tone snobs have a lot more in common than not.   :))

I never said Gibson is the be-all-end-all. The point was that Epiphone is Gibson's budget line of Les Paul's.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 08:06:30 »
I like to draw auto analogies, however the 1980s were a crap time for car quality.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 08:20:38 »
I like to draw auto analogies, however the 1980s were a crap time for car quality.

Was it that bad? Or do you have particular manufacturers in mind?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 08:25:43 »

It was the pits for US auto makers, and the Japanese had not hit their stride yet. The only European car from the 1980s that I personally owned was a late-1980s Volvo that was excellent except for poor gas mileage and it wore out brakes at a ridiculous rate.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 08:27:48 »
Bah, my '86 190E was still driving after half a million kilometres xD . My brother's 230E did more than that I think xD .

Actually loads of cars from the 80s were great, at least where I'm from; pure mechanical. Much more reliable than the electronic parts in modern-day cars.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 08:50:10 »
Bah, my '86 190E was still driving after half a million kilometres xD . My brother's 230E did more than that I think xD .

Actually loads of cars from the 80s were great, at least where I'm from; pure mechanical. Much more reliable than the electronic parts in modern-day cars.

Electronics IS unreliable in cars. And for some reason, manufacturers often like to put the electronics in places where it catches rain / damp so that the electronics go bust. Why? Why not waterseal it or something? Unbelievable.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 08:50:43 »

It was the pits for US auto makers, and the Japanese had not hit their stride yet. The only European car from the 1980s that I personally owned was a late-1980s Volvo that was excellent except for poor gas mileage and it wore out brakes at a ridiculous rate.

Not to bash, but aren't US cars complete trash and unreliable anyways? Or am I wrong?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 09:09:18 »
Not to bash, but aren't US cars complete trash and unreliable anyways? Or am I wrong?

The 1980s were particularly bad, then quality improved into the early 2000s but then started slumping again until the crisis/bailout.
Quality seems to have improved considerably in the last few years.
Still, I plan to drive Hondas and Toyotas from here on out.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 09:15:27 »

The 1980s were particularly bad, then quality improved into the early 2000s but then started slumping again until the crisis/bailout.
Quality seems to have improved considerably in the last few years.
Still, I plan to drive Hondas and Toyotas from here on out.

I can see. I had 2 corollas... one from 92 and one from 98. Never failed.

But I don't want Toyota anymore: zero comfort, wind noise, not stable sideways for wind. And small. Especially backseat.

It never goes bust but that's the only upside I see to toyotas.

Offline ime1729

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 09:52:15 »
I've managed to break a Unicomp Endurapro (albeit with incredibly heavy use) in 3 years, but I don't have any experience with the IBM M

Of course, given that I use a Unicomp 104, it's quite indicative of my brand loyalty (I wouldn't use an IBM M because they don't have a Super key -- and I need one in order to use my GNOME 3 configuration)

It's funny that you are talking about cars at the same time, since my car (BMW 645) suffers the same point of failure as my Unicomp Endurapro -- it simply won't work below a certain temperature.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 10:06:46 »

American cars are a very good at turning petrol into noise :p . They don't really steer, but that's not really necessary on American roads anyway. They're also not built to last from what I gathered, but again, things generally aren't expected to last as long in the US as they do in Europe - New World Syndrome xD .

That said, of all the European brands I really only rate German and Italian cars. And apart from a few sports cars, I don't think there's been a great-looking car in ages.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 12:54:57 »
American cars are a very good at turning petrol into noise :p . They don't really steer, but that's not really necessary on American roads anyway. They're also not built to last from what I gathered, but again, things generally aren't expected to last as long in the US as they do in Europe - New World Syndrome xD .

That said, of all the European brands I really only rate German and Italian cars. And apart from a few sports cars, I don't think there's been a great-looking car in ages.

What?  What has this got to do with Unicomp keyboards at all?  And WHY do you think this way?  How old are you?  14?
Get yourself an Arielatom 3 and have a nice day.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 April 2016, 13:00:29 by Snowdog993 »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 13:31:33 »
I think someone is insulted  :)) . Sorry mate, didn't mean to offend :) .

Offline alh84001

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 13:40:46 »
Unfortunately, Windows pointer settings apply to all pointing devices connected to the machine, and are not all equal in terms of tracking performance

This has got to be one of things I hate most about Windows. A friend of mine and me sometimes play a mouse heavy game (Heroes 3, still the best!), and each of us has their own mouse. But, I'm left-handed and I'd like to use my mouse in such a way, without affecting his use and setup on his machine. Now that I think of it, I could maybe pick just for this purpose and hardwire so the buttons are switched. Food for thought.

Back on topic. Has anyone used for a longer period of time various Unicomp models? Do various form factors have an effect on the overall feel, or are they mostly the same?

As for layouts, I think their new layout is a big improvement over their old one.