Author Topic: Unicomp Keyboards  (Read 6205 times)

Offline klackityklack

Unicomp Keyboards
« on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 17:46:37 »
Hey keyboard fans,

I have a UNICOMP spring-action keyboard (custom made) that I have absolutely loved.  It's just like the 8085 IBM keyboards I learned to type on only it has a USB connector instead of the old AT.  I had mine built for Linux but asked the vendor about making one for Apples about 5 years ago.  I see he now has those and have just asked about printing a set of keycaps with all the second/third level characters printed on the keyboard.  There is a minimum order for custom printing keycaps so I'm posting to see if anyone else would be interested.  I don't need to buy a ton of keycaps just for myself.

Also, when I searched this forum I didn't see UNICOMP mentioned at all as a recommended keyboard vendor.  I'm Spock'ing an eyebrow over that.  Is there a reason or has nobody noticed them?  www.unicomp.com.  I learned about this site from looking at their geekhack.org custom key caps seen at https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/GHFunKey.

I've attached the Apple keycap printing I have started an inquiry about.  Some ideas I'm asking about are blue/red for the second/third level options or maybe sizes or styles.  The Linux keyboard I have has the popular second/third level keys but they don't match what a Mac does.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Unicomp Keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 17:51:26 »

I didn't see UNICOMP mentioned

Um, this thread was active as recently as yesterday ....

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78509.0
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline klackityklack

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 18:25:06 »
Well that was noob of me. The search doesn't work until you login.   ;D

Offline Pylon

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 21:08:56 »
The general opinion here on Unicomp is that they're a decent option if you want a new buckling spring keyboard (or want a BS keyboard with USB or Windows Keys), but their build quality leaves a lot to be desired, both in comparison to older Model M's and also in comparison to all the Cherry keyboards out there. Their molds are worn out, and there's often issues with legend alignment - my Endurapro had a very creaky case and many of the legends were misaligned. They also only offer full-size and 122 at the moment, with a tenkeyless in the works, while all sorts of layouts, including numerous 60% and 65% compact boards that are all the rage these days, are available on Cherry MX.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 23:38:39 »
Wouldn't this fit in better in the group buy section, or even the interest check one first?

I have a pair of Unicomp Geekhack caps as Windows keys, and some Unicomp media keys on my reproduction F77. I can't tell them apart from the original late 80s Model M caps without looking really closely, and my vision close up is pretty good. Maybe they just had a particularly good batch, but I'm also not nearly picky enough to care even if they had looked significantly worse than they do.

If you are worried about quality, maybe you want to look here: Apple/Mac Command-Option Keys, and or talk to Ellipse about what kind of custom printing he might offer to you. It sounds like he's trying to be a perfectionist about his caps, to Model F XT quality standards.

As a result, it seems pretty murky when any of his printed caps will ever even start shipping though, even for the standard ones. These are also caps designed for Model F keyboards, which are compatible, but apparently very slightly different in design.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 20:16:16 »
their build quality leaves a lot to be desired, both in comparison to older Model M's and also in comparison to all the Cherry keyboards out there.

Whoa whoa whoa. Let's not go too far. Cherry makes some terrible keyboards at the $100 price point.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 07:29:47 »

their build quality

Whoa

Just ignore it. Unicomp hating is a popular past time around here. Unicomp produces an excellent product at an excellent price.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline cheesy_jones

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 13:34:41 »

their build quality

Whoa

Just ignore it. Unicomp hating is a popular past time around here. Unicomp produces an excellent product at an excellent price.

Confirmed. If you watch too many Youtube reviews you get the definite impression Unicomp build quality is sub-par. The Spacesaver M Mac model I am using right now to type post this is as good or better than any $100 keyboard out there, and I'd argue better than many keyboards at twice the price. As I've been discussing elsewhere, the board in my opinion is at a dead heat, quality-wise, with a Matias Tactile. And that board retails for $55 more.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 May 2020, 14:43:47 by cheesy_jones »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 13:55:43 »

their build quality

Whoa

Confirmed. If you watch too many Youtube reviews you get the definite impression Unicomp build quality is sub-par. The Spacesaver M Mac model I am using right now type this is as good or better than any $100 keyboard out there, and I'd argue better than many keyboards at twice the price. As I've been discussing elsewhere, the board in my opinion is at a dead heat, quality-wise, with a Matias Tactile. And that board retails for $55 more.

It is just IBM purists/perfectionists. They can compare against a 1986 M and pick apart every little detail, but IBM couldn't have sold a Model M for $100, even before inflation.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 22:55:28 »
That's always been my thing as well. Like, Unicomp, somehow, is building these things IN AMERICA, at a cheaper price than Chinese boards with worse quality. To be fair to them, they don't have to license switch technology and they haven't really had to invest in any major R&D (besides new housing) in...ever...but still. They're better quality than virtually any other $100 board.

That was one of the reasons I just spend $350 with these guys. I'm supporting a local American business (hint: I'm American), keeping something I like from the past alive, and, hey in the grand scheme of things, I'm also frankly never getting a better $100 keyboard than what those guys are putting out. Plus I want an early date New Model M just in case they become collectors items like the old ones. (They won't.)