Author Topic: GMK 9009 Blank Alphanumerics  (Read 6559 times)

Offline Astyrialis

GMK 9009 Blank Alphanumerics
« on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 11:06:02 »
Hey guys!

I'm pretty new to the KB game, and looking to build my first board.
I've watched a couple TaehaTypes videos, and fell absolutely head over heels in love with the GMK 9009 set, the stepped tab is something I forgot about existing since my childhood, and I need that on my board.

As I'm Hungarian, I don't even hope to find keycaps with the correct character layout, but is there any blank set with matching colour, to replace the alphanumerics.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
Re: GMK 9009 Blank Alphanumerics
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 14:01:32 »
Hi!

First of all - welcome to GH! GMK 9009 and 9009 is a beautiful classic keyset that is adored by many and for a reason - timeless and just the right amount of pop and professional.

Mmm, I haven't looked around for a blank 9009 keyset or alpha-numeric keys but if you're fine with not having proper Hungarian characters on the keyset, you're best bet would be either search for a GMK 9009 in the aftermarket or go with something like EPBT 9009. And it actually has an international set so maybe there's appropriate key caps your language uses.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline Astyrialis

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 14:33:07 »
Hi!

First of all - welcome to GH! GMK 9009 and 9009 is a beautiful classic keyset that is adored by many and for a reason - timeless and just the right amount of pop and professional.

Mmm, I haven't looked around for a blank 9009 keyset or alpha-numeric keys but if you're fine with not having proper Hungarian characters on the keyset, you're best bet would be either search for a GMK 9009 in the aftermarket or go with something like EPBT 9009. And it actually has an international set so maybe there's appropriate key caps your language uses.

Unfortunately that's not an option for multiple reasons. We use a QWERTZ format, so the Z/Y most likely has the wrong shape, and we have dedicated keys for our special characters(ÍÖÜÓŐÚÉÁŰ). We also have different key combinations(Ex.:@ is AltGr+V).
I've given up on getting my hand on a Hungarian PBT, because it just isn't going to happen, but not long after posting I found a topic here with a guy selling blank GMK caps, so most likely I'll be able to figure it out.

Offline varszegimarcell

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 13:15:41 »
This set looks sexy, but it is much sexier on a real G80-9009. :D

222612-0

P.S.: Üdv Magyarországról. :)

Offline varszegimarcell

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 13:28:12 »
Hi!

Unfortunately that's not an option for multiple reasons. We use a QWERTZ format, so the Z/Y most likely has the wrong shape, and we have dedicated keys for our special characters(ÍÖÜÓŐÚÉÁŰ). We also have different key combinations(Ex.:@ is AltGr+V).
I've given up on getting my hand on a Hungarian PBT, because it just isn't going to happen, but not long after posting I found a topic here with a guy selling blank GMK caps, so most likely I'll be able to figure it out.

BTW, as a hungarian, I know it is pretty hard to get even low quality keycaps with hungarian legends and sublegends. It is nearly impossible.

I've came across once a replacement set, Cooler Master sells hungarian localization keycap sets, but sadly, they're laser engraved painted ABS. Luckly, they're pretty cheap, and use OEM keycap profile. Link to a hungarian webshop where you can buy them: https://www.pcx.hu/cooler-master-sga-kc01-kkcp1-hu-magyar-mechanikus-billentyu-keszlet-664587

Thanks to that, I'm using my keyboards blindly, with hungarian layout. It's not that hard, and if you have an ISO keyboard you can type everything as usual, but if you have ANSI, you lack the letter í. But it is not a big deal, Alt Gr+J to type í , and Alt Gr+I to type Í . It's not that hard to get used to it, and when you type bindly, the lettering doesn't matter at all.