Author Topic: Replacement space bar for Das professional keyboard  (Read 5319 times)

Offline smw

Replacement space bar for Das professional keyboard
« on: Tue, 02 July 2019, 08:54:20 »
I picked up one of these keyboards used and cheap (I got complaints when trying to use a Model M in my office) but the space bar has a crack in the front. Doesn't affect functionality but I don't like seeing the crack, and I'd like to find an inexpensive replacement. Tried buying one from a Chinese seller but it was missing the clips to attach to the wire stabilizer; also, the length was correct but it wasn't as high as the current space bar.

The keycaps that came with the board were replaced by the original owner; not sure what kind they are. Don't really like how they look (red lettering on an off-white key) but they feel good. Is it possible that the replacement keycaps are higher than the originals? Is this a thing? I don't have another DAS to compare it with.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 July 2019, 08:56:08 by smw »
Whole bunch of 101 key model Ms from the 80s and 90s, plus one Unicomp

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Re: Replacement space bar for Das professional keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 July 2019, 15:40:32 »
The das model s has a space bar about 6X size. Search online and eventually you might be able to find a replacement

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 July 2019, 17:07:48 »
Das Professional series uses the same OEM as WASD Keyboards.

Should be exact match to original spec, order 1 spacebar and 1 clip (comes in pair).

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/blank-keycap-singles/spacebar-cherry-mx-keycap.html
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-parts/cherry-mx-keycap-stabilizer-insert-2pcs.html

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Riverman

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 12:22:45 »
Tried buying one from a Chinese seller but it was missing the clips to attach to the wire stabilizer; also, the length was correct but it wasn't as high as the current space bar.
You can take the clips off of your existing space bar and transfer them to the new one.  You probably ordered a Cherry profile space bar, but you most likely need an OEM profile one.  Like Hyde pointed out, you can get one from WASD Keyboards and not have to wait for shipping from China.

Offline smw

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 05 July 2019, 14:46:46 »
You can take the clips off of your existing space bar and transfer them to the new one.  You probably ordered a Cherry profile space bar, but you most likely need an OEM profile one.  Like Hyde pointed out, you can get one from WASD Keyboards and not have to wait for shipping from China.
Yup, this worked. I realized after the previous poster linked to purchasing those clips that my current spacebar probably had them. I was able to use the Chinese caps I ordered, and they're not significantly lower. The newer space bar isn't as flexible as the old, but with some careful flexing I was able to manhandle it in.

Thanks, guys!
Whole bunch of 101 key model Ms from the 80s and 90s, plus one Unicomp