Author Topic: [IC] Penguin 65 By KeyGeak Studio  (Read 5287 times)

Offline KeyGeak

• Keygeak
[IC] Penguin 65 By KeyGeak Studio
« on: Sun, 24 December 2023, 06:31:33 »
65% keyboard
Penguin 65
305123-0
Merry Christmas, everyone. We are KG Studio, and we would like to present our innovative product, the Penguin 65. We believe it stands out as one of the few keyboards that not only features a distinctive front-end design but also maintains a well-balanced overall proportion.
Design Concept:

1. From the outset, our goal was to create a 65% layout keyboard kit that is compact without sacrificing aesthetics. We envisioned a rounded appearance, avoiding the excessive width common in many keyboards that strive for a rounded look. We firmly believe that the essence of a 65% keyboard lies in its compact size, and we particularly appreciate the sleek design with narrow borders on both sides.
305089-1
To achieve this, we employed curves to ensure slim borders on both sides while allowing for larger rounded angles at the corners. We aimed to capture the essence of a compact, yet stylish keyboard, emphasizing the unique features of the 65% layout. At the same time, our unique curved design sets it apart from the myriad of similar keyboard designs, giving it a distinctive and independent style.

2. To create a slimmer appearance from the front, we've introduced a height difference between the upper and lower shells, visually narrowing the borders. At the same time, we've incorporated curves on the sides to enhance the overall aesthetics of the keyboard, making it look more coordinated and beautiful. Additionally, when picking up the keyboard, the curved design contributes to a sense of ease and comfort in hand. We believe it's not just about having an attractive keyboard; it should also be a comfortable one, which is something we highly prioritize.
305091-2
3. To enhance the usability of the keyboard, two crucial factors are slope and front height. Solving the slope aspect, we opted for a 7° angle to provide a comfortable typing experience. However, addressing the front height posed a challenge. To reduce the front height, we would need to extend the width of the front border, conflicting with our initial design concept. This was not a viable option. Ultimately, we achieved the desired front height of 17.35mm by creating grooves in the bottom shell for the switch positions, ensuring that the circuit board doesn't directly contact the bottom shell. We are very pleased with this solution
305093-3
4. For the back design of the keyboard, we have yet to make a final decision. We have created three different back designs, and an IC poll will be conducted to determine which design will be chosen in the end.

305095-4
305097-5
305099-6
Vote for your favorite design: https://forms.gle/hTfkTVE6GzuqUrL98

For the back design.

In option 1, the bottom shell and the counterweight together form the face of a penguin, resembling Elizabeth from the Japanese anime series Gintama.
305101-7
In option 2, a minimalist style is adopted, featuring only engraved characters.
In option 3, showcases a penguin design, depicting the scene of a penguin standing on a circular stone in a snowy landscape, gazing towards distant snow-covered mountains.[/size]

Specs
305103-8
Supports wired mode
Keyboard Layout: 65% with hot-swappable compatibility
Top Shell: Aluminum
Bottom Shell: Aluminum
Bottom Weight: Brass
Interface Decorative Strip: Brass
Mounting: Compatible with both gasket and top mounting
Front Height: 17.35mm
PCB: CEM 1.2mm and 1.6mm options, customizable PCB and daughterboard
7 degree typing angle
Aluminum CNC Case with Copper Counterweight for 6 Series
VIA support
Available Colors
Blue
305138-9
Black
305107-10
Green
305109-11
Pink
305111-12
Purple
305113-13
Red
305115-14
Silver

305117-15
Vote for your favorite color: https://forms.gle/hTfkTVE6GzuqUrL98

More renders
305119-16
305121-17

SALE INFORMATION

● Units TBD
● Sale type TBD depending on interest
● Vendor information to be disclosed in the future.

Contact
My Discord server: https://discord.gg/WExPAuGzEx
keygeak.com
Most updates will be posted on my server as well as Geekhack.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 December 2023, 19:34:40 by KeyGeak »

Offline Nevrest

Re: [IC] Penguin 65 By KeyGeak Studio
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 December 2023, 15:45:09 »
Love the black and orange, really an amazing colour combo, and love to see more dual colour boards. Not something we see a lot of anymore unless one of the colours is silver.
I do wonder though, is it possible to swap the square penguin "badge" in the top right? Or will that have to match the bottom colour?

Offline KeyGeak

• Keygeak
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 December 2023, 03:21:52 »
Love the black and orange, really an amazing colour combo, and love to see more dual colour boards. Not something we see a lot of anymore unless one of the colours is silver.
I do wonder though, is it possible to swap the square penguin "badge" in the top right? Or will that have to match the bottom colour?

The default color matches the color of the base shell because it is more convenient for our suppliers in production and organization. We may consider selling replacement nameplates in different colors and styles separately at a later stage.

Offline Exquite

• GeekAnubis
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 December 2023, 09:56:24 »
Do we have different back plate options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm a Color lover and a designer.

Offline KeyGeak

• Keygeak
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 December 2023, 21:35:02 »
Do we have different back plate options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In fact, we initially designed six different back designs, but internally, we narrowed it down to three

Offline KeyGeak

• Keygeak
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 December 2023, 21:36:42 »
Update the layout
305180-0

Offline KeyGeak

• Keygeak
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 29 December 2023, 02:19:58 »
305185-0

Offline nook

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 14 January 2024, 20:56:34 »
I strongly suggest having versions of the PCB and plate without flex cuts. Many of us would prefer a stiffer, more resonant plate and PCB.

Offline KeyGeak

• Keygeak
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 January 2024, 23:55:03 »
I strongly suggest having versions of the PCB and plate without flex cuts. Many of us would prefer a stiffer, more resonant plate and PCB.
We will consider adding a non-flexible cuts option for purchase to accommodate a wider range of enthusiasts