Author Topic: [IC] GMK Jamón - [RAMA X JAMÓN AVAIL]  (Read 97219 times)

Offline LevelSteam

Re: [IC] GMK Jamón - Massive Kit Update! Novelty kits added
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 10:36:16 »
Thanks for the renders! :D Got my board ordered for this and ready to go!

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
Re: [IC] GMK Jamón
« Reply #201 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 05:29:52 »
Thermal and Xeno renders using the spacebar pack.

Thermal

Xeno

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #202 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 10:00:17 »
I need Jamon in my life. I just ate some last night :P

Offline titanium

« Reply #203 on: Mon, 10 December 2018, 00:18:17 »
Can you release the PAL code for the white used? Trying to get a perfectly matching cable for this set!

Offline KingzandBean

« Reply #204 on: Mon, 10 December 2018, 17:10:04 »
WAIT WAIT what is this Thermal thing? can someone link me?

Also, I'm definitely in for this keyset, it savory AF. Though I do wish that novelties had a classic Ham Bone? I know it's not Jamon exactly but I think it registers as a pork product in a way that the Jamon icon doesn't quite. Does that make sense?
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 17:15:14 by KingzandBean »

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #205 on: Mon, 10 December 2018, 18:11:48 »
Can you release the PAL code for the white used? Trying to get a perfectly matching cable for this set!

It's the same as Serika's alphas. There should be a blog post on my site about it (I think it's titled "Serika - Update #4, or Serika - Update #5).

Offline TheMastermind

« Reply #206 on: Tue, 11 December 2018, 20:35:56 »
Any updates on the box artwork?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #207 on: Tue, 11 December 2018, 23:13:08 »
Any updates on the box artwork?

Not yet, it's too soon to work on it and I'm currently finishing some other stuff.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #208 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 20:49:29 »

Bacon Gear?

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #209 on: Fri, 21 December 2018, 17:14:48 »
Throw in a bacon scarf and I'll be set

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #210 on: Fri, 21 December 2018, 17:47:55 »
Throw in a bacon scarf and I'll be set

+1
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #211 on: Fri, 21 December 2018, 19:12:46 »
I'll see if this is possible. There's a Christmas break coming up, so updates will be a little bit slower for the upcoming weeks.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #212 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 13:17:08 »
Good evening everyone, I've got huge news for the GMK Jamón project:

Get ready and prepare your wallets because Jamón is coming

Jamón is coming, and it's coming really soon, in fact, we are more or less over a month away from GMK Jamón's group buy and as before I lock the kits so we can get final quotes, I would love to hear what do you think about the kits, what could be tweaked, what do you like about them... Some of you have already posted here some valuable feedback, which I'll consider when doing some final tweaks, but it's always great to get more ideas to make this set a little bit better.

I will be open for suggestions up until January 6th, when kits will be locked.

Some notes regarding the kits, which you can check on the project page or the OP.

- I am aiming for a $100 or lower Core kit. While this is extremely challenging, I think we could get it done.
- Novelties are done, and all the novelty kits will most likely stay like they currently are. While I understand some people would prefer to have them all on a large Novelty kit, I'd like to explore the idea of making 3 or 4 smaller kits that more people could get. The eñe kit should be fairly inexpensive since it is the same key 25 times.
- If you voted on Massdrop before the kit overhaul, make sure to update your vote! You can vote here. And while I'm mentioning this, I'd like to thank again everyone that has voted for Jamón so far on Massdrop, specially those that have updated their votes when I posted the kit overhaul. Thanks for supporting this project and making it possible.

Collabs

There has been some progress with Jamón themed collaborations. Novelkeys has informed me that the hexagon-red and novelty deskmats are on their way. Mike should be able to take hi-res pics of them soon. I'm also working on some other exciting collab, which will be unveiled soon.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #213 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 15:15:12 »
Good evening everyone, I've got huge news for the GMK Jamón project:

Get ready and prepare your wallets because Jamón is coming

Jamón is coming, and it's coming really soon, in fact, we are more or less over a month away from GMK Jamón's group buy and as before I lock the kits so we can get final quotes, I would love to hear what do you think about the kits, what could be tweaked, what do you like about them... Some of you have already posted here some valuable feedback, which I'll consider when doing some final tweaks, but it's always great to get more ideas to make this set a little bit better.

Some notes regarding the kits, which you can check on the project page or the OP.

- I am aiming for a $100 or lower Core kit. While this is extremely challenging, I think we could get it done.
- Novelties are done, and all the novelty kits will most likely stay like they currently are. While I understand some people would prefer to have them all on a large Novelty kit, I'd like to explore the idea of making 3 or 4 smaller kits that more people could get. The eñe kit should be fairly inexpensive since it is the same key 25 times.
- If you voted on Massdrop before the kit overhaul, make sure to update your vote! You can vote here. And while I'm mentioning this, I'd like to thank again everyone that has voted for Jamón so far on Massdrop, specially those that have updated their votes when I posted the kit overhaul. Thanks for supporting this project and making it possible.

Collabs

There has been some progress with Jamón themed collaborations. Novelkeys has informed me that the hexagon-red and novelty deskmats are on their way. Mike should be able to take hi-res pics of them soon. I'm also working on some other exciting collab, which will be unveiled soon.

Show Image

I've taken a good look at the kits and I have to say, separating the numpad kit from the core is a great move to keep the core kit price down. There has been a lot of complaining about the price of GMK base kits lately and hopefully this will alleviate some of that. I got to thinking about what Wilba said early in the thread regarding how putting together a base kit with good compatability can be a challenge. It make a lot of sense, as 40% users are perceived as a minority in numbers. I have believe that this is, for the most part, correct. And if we 40% users, and users of other layouts, don't vote with our wallets when the GB starts then it's our own faults that kits don't meet MoQ. We appreciate the efforts to efficiently create kits that provide for greater compatability, while keeping the costs down as much as possible. I'm also glad that there aren't 2 dozen kits available for this set...better chance for kits to reach MoQ. With that said, and before the kits are locked down, I respectfully ask that you please reconsider your stance on the absence of a 1.75u backspace from the 40s kit. I know when I have asked in the past, I have said some things I regret out of frustration. I have to admit that the toxicity in our community is unnecessary and unwarranted. Whatever issues you have with that specific key do not need to be discussed here. What I ask is that you think about us, the fans of your work, and how this makes us unable to outfit the boards we use. The bad blood that surrounds this key needs to come to an end and we all need to move forward as a community. I hope you give this some real thought. Thanks.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #214 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 18:03:12 »
I've taken a good look at the kits and I have to say, separating the numpad kit from the core is a great move to keep the core kit price down. There has been a lot of complaining about the price of GMK base kits lately and hopefully this will alleviate some of that. I got to thinking about what Wilba said early in the thread regarding how putting together a base kit with good compatability can be a challenge. It make a lot of sense, as 40% users are perceived as a minority in numbers. I have believe that this is, for the most part, correct. And if we 40% users, and users of other layouts, don't vote with our wallets when the GB starts then it's our own faults that kits don't meet MoQ. We appreciate the efforts to efficiently create kits that provide for greater compatability, while keeping the costs down as much as possible. I'm also glad that there aren't 2 dozen kits available for this set...better chance for kits to reach MoQ. With that said, and before the kits are locked down, I respectfully ask that you please reconsider your stance on the absence of a 1.75u backspace from the 40s kit. I know when I have asked in the past, I have said some things I regret out of frustration. I have to admit that the toxicity in our community is unnecessary and unwarranted. Whatever issues you have with that specific key do not need to be discussed here. What I ask is that you think about us, the fans of your work, and how this makes us unable to outfit the boards we use. The bad blood that surrounds this key needs to come to an end and we all need to move forward as a community. I hope you give this some real thought. Thanks.

Mike, this isn't the first time we've had this conversation.

I gave it a real thought several months ago. I talked with friends, community members, and other people that have been involved on keyboard projects, and I stand by the decission I took months ago.

Community is built on mutual respect, you can like or dislike other community members, and people are free to say that the work I do is **** and dislike all my sets, but at the end of the day those people that dislike my stuff have my respect. The Van Keyboards no longer has it.

They have crossed the line not once or twice, but many many times, with me and with other people. There is no copyright that protect any of these colorways, but at least we used to have some kind of respect for other's works.

Conversation with Evangs three weeks ago on Jamón's IC thread. (Screenshot)

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #215 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 18:49:18 »
I know we’ve spoken before. It doesn’t hurt to ask. Thanks for the reply and I can respect your decision.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #216 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 19:22:27 »
> 3 weeks ago, "looks like a cool set"
> 1 week ago "whats Jamon?"

lmao can't make this **** up

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #217 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 22:32:55 »

Show Image

Wow. He's not even the one who uses thevankeyboards account. It's 2 different people.

I guess this was a false statement. I was trying to be civil about by asking again. I guess you guys can call the mods out to censor this now, as usual. Good luck with the GB.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #218 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 22:37:28 »

Show Image

Wow. He's not even the one who uses thevankeyboards account. It's 2 different people.

I guess this was a false statement. I was trying to be civil about by asking again. I guess you guys can call the mods out to censor this now, as usual. Good luck with the GB.

You asked. He said no. Just because you suggest something doesn't mean he has to include it.

If I took every suggestion for Yolch, it would support Romanian ISO.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #219 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 22:52:41 »

Show Image

You asked. He said no. Just because you suggest something doesn't mean he has to include it.

If I took every suggestion for Yolch, it would support Romanian ISO.

Oh, I understand that. It's the way it gets answered that is concerning. Just a whole bunch of hate behind it.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #220 on: Sun, 23 December 2018, 07:21:54 »

Show Image

If you give another person the login to your instagram to represent your company, you are still responsible for its content.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #221 on: Sun, 23 December 2018, 07:42:06 »

Show Image

Mike,

I have answered you always in a civil way here, and in my previous ICs, and I have always explained why I'm no longer supporting their board and you are trying to portrait me as the bad guy here. I don't have any hate for them, just dissapointment.

By supporting the Minivan I'm stating that it is OK to support a company that doesn't care and wants to screw over community members.

This is not the first time we've had this conversation, this is not the first time you've used the "calling the mods" card when I've never done that, and this is not the first time I've declined and give you my point of view of this situation.

Since I'm sure it won't be the last and, if it wasn't clear with my previous responses: I'm going to kindly ask you to not suggest this layout or any other made by that company on any of my future ICs. If you have any other suggestions for any other boards, I'll listen to them.

Thanks.

Offline PaultheSloth

• JW Double Black
« Reply #222 on: Sun, 23 December 2018, 09:32:34 »
Losing the numpad in the core kit seems like a good step in reducing the cost, excited for this when it's out.  :thumb:
Polaris|Leaf60|QXP|DC60|Planck|SKB60|Tokyo60|UT-47|AnnePro

Offline quazikun

« Reply #223 on: Sun, 23 December 2018, 10:10:26 »
Would you consider expanding the pata negra kit to include all or more modifiers?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #224 on: Sun, 23 December 2018, 11:41:07 »
Would you consider expanding the pata negra kit to include all or more modifiers?

I'm kinda into this but I don't think zambumon would be

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #225 on: Sun, 23 December 2018, 12:59:22 »
I want to keep the pricing of those as low as possible. What both of you guys exactly mean with expanding the kit?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #226 on: Sun, 23 December 2018, 13:31:39 »
I want to keep the pricing of those as low as possible. What both of you guys exactly mean with expanding the kit?

I think they mean this sort of kit.

Personally I never liked the cream accents for the set, the dark gray ones look much better. Would have made them default accents and skip cream ones. Maybe have numbers row in cream to simulate a fat line.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 December 2018, 13:35:16 by Oblotzky »

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #227 on: Sun, 23 December 2018, 13:35:01 »

Show Image

We both know how that approach went.

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #228 on: Sun, 23 December 2018, 14:25:02 »
Just out of curiosity, not a jab at anything, but how does the acorn fit into the theme of this set?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #229 on: Sun, 23 December 2018, 15:12:33 »
Just out of curiosity, not a jab at anything, but how does the acorn fit into the theme of this set?

feed acorns to pigs all day = best jamón

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #230 on: Sun, 23 December 2018, 15:29:47 »

Show Image

Show Image

So no chance of modern 1800 support?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #231 on: Sun, 23 December 2018, 15:33:33 »

Show Image

Show Image

Base + Numpad should cover 1800/CP/96

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #232 on: Sun, 23 December 2018, 16:27:57 »
Would like to see more core sets like this in the future. Good job Zamzam!

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #233 on: Sun, 23 December 2018, 16:29:20 »

Show Image

Mike,

I have answered you always in a civil way here, and in my previous ICs, and I have always explained why I'm no longer supporting their board and you are trying to portrait me as the bad guy here. I don't have any hate for them, just dissapointment.

By supporting the Minivan I'm stating that it is OK to support a company that doesn't care and wants to screw over community members.

This is not the first time we've had this conversation, this is not the first time you've used the "calling the mods" card when I've never done that, and this is not the first time I've declined and give you my point of view of this situation.

Since I'm sure it won't be the last and, if it wasn't clear with my previous responses: I'm going to kindly ask you to not suggest this layout or any other made by that company on any of my future ICs. If you have any other suggestions for any other boards, I'll listen to them.

Thanks.

No problem. Lol. As I said before, good luck with the GB.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #234 on: Sun, 23 December 2018, 21:23:49 »

Show Image

Show Image

Base + Numpad should cover 1800/CP/96

And standalone numpads.

Offline quazikun

« Reply #235 on: Sun, 23 December 2018, 22:38:46 »

Show Image

Personally I never liked the cream accents for the set, the dark gray ones look much better. Would have made them default accents and skip cream ones. Maybe have numbers row in cream to simulate a fat line.

Nothing this extensive - more just including the other standard modifiers for a 60%/TKL (not the # row or F-row or home cluster etc, just shift/enter/tab/caps etc) to complete the black + red aesthetic.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #236 on: Mon, 24 December 2018, 05:42:31 »

Show Image

Nothing this extensive - more just including the other standard modifiers for a 60%/TKL (not the # row or F-row or home cluster etc, just shift/enter/tab/caps etc) to complete the black + red aesthetic.

For the whole red + grey aesthetics I would honestly just buy Burgundy.

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
Re: [IC] GMK Jamón - Group Buy Coming Soon!
« Reply #237 on: Mon, 24 December 2018, 09:59:34 »
Relevant. This is probably the most expensive Jamon in that store but overall it costs around one GMK keyset.

Edit. Sorry my bad about the 90° photo. Anyway I love Jamon and I will buy me a smaller portion :b
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 December 2018, 10:03:01 by T0mb3ry »

Offline mimalik

« Reply #238 on: Mon, 24 December 2018, 12:46:28 »
Waiting for this to happen soon. In for base + numpad for usre, other kits depending on pricing. Any idea when to expect it to drop on MD? I know its up for vote, but I am not confident in MD voting as I have seen some good kits with high vtoes languishing in limbo and some get made w/o even coming up for voting.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #239 on: Mon, 24 December 2018, 13:03:17 »
Waiting for this to happen soon. In for base + numpad for usre, other kits depending on pricing. Any idea when to expect it to drop on MD? I know its up for vote, but I am not confident in MD voting as I have seen some good kits with high vtoes languishing in limbo and some get made w/o even coming up for voting.

Roughly around February. Voting for the set will notify you once it goes live.

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #240 on: Tue, 25 December 2018, 21:12:36 »
February? Wow!

I honestly can't remember the last time I was this excited for a set. Everything looks great!

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #241 on: Tue, 25 December 2018, 21:58:14 »
February? Wow!

I honestly can't remember the last time I was this excited for a set. Everything looks great!

Well, right after Massdrop's next set. Just in time for the Chinese New Year  :p

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #242 on: Wed, 26 December 2018, 05:46:16 »
Looks nice!

Any chance of split spaces include in either base kit or spacebar kit?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #243 on: Wed, 26 December 2018, 06:08:28 »
Looks nice!

Any chance of split spaces include in either base kit or spacebar kit?

I have included them in the 40s kit because it since it will benefit 40% users and ergo keyboard users (that's why the kit includes a second B, so you could cover an LZ Ergo or the TGR Alice properly). Since the Core kit is smaller, and most people interested on split spacebars use layout smaller than TKL, the combined price of a 40s kit + core should be lower than a standard GMK base set + spacebar kit.

The spacebar kit was going to be just an accent kit, but since I wanted to provide coverage for 6U spacebars, and didn't want to make the 40s kit even bigger (and rename it to something as "extension kit") I put them with the 6.25U and 7.00U spacebars.

Let me know what you think about it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 December 2018, 06:15:34 by Zambumon »

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #244 on: Wed, 26 December 2018, 06:40:54 »
Thanks for the update. Understandable. I just don't see myself using all the extras from the 40s kit besides those split spaces, whereas I could see myself benefiting from the accent spacebar from time to time. Plus the spacebar kit will be cheaper as well. Do you ever consider including those split spaces in both the 40s and spacebar kit?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #245 on: Wed, 26 December 2018, 17:29:36 »
Thanks for the update. Understandable. I just don't see myself using all the extras from the 40s kit besides those split spaces, whereas I could see myself benefiting from the accent spacebar from time to time. Plus the spacebar kit will be cheaper as well. Do you ever consider including those split spaces in both the 40s and spacebar kit?

No, I'd prefer to avoid having the keys duplicated and just have them on one the 40s

Offline snelltrail

« Reply #246 on: Wed, 26 December 2018, 23:27:01 »

No, I'd prefer to avoid having the keys duplicated and just have them on one the 40s

You could add accent split spacebars to the spacebar kit and leave the red split space bars in the 40s kit. (I know we've discussed this before; I'm just really keen for white split spacebars!!)

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #247 on: Thu, 27 December 2018, 01:51:47 »
love your work. I have nautilus, Serika and im planning to get this as well. I'm not that a big of a fan of the cherry profile either.
I would love to know if your or someone in your inner circle plans to make an SA version of this ?
I was so envious when I saw the SA Nautilus - any chance of some SA Jamon anytime in the future?

Offline rondg

« Reply #248 on: Thu, 27 December 2018, 04:31:19 »
Salty keycap? Hehe. Just thought that it fits the theme. Though adding more salt to jamom will be a bit too much.  ;D

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #249 on: Thu, 27 December 2018, 07:34:25 »
love your work. I have nautilus, Serika and im planning to get this as well. I'm not that a big of a fan of the cherry profile either.
I would love to know if your or someone in your inner circle plans to make an SA version of this ?
I was so envious when I saw the SA Nautilus - any chance of some SA Jamon anytime in the future?

For an SA version, none. SP still has their classic super long backlog that happens whenever they are making a big set, they aren't as good as GMK when we talk about color matching,  and if Nautilus Nightmares and Samurai Blue get done, you wouldn't expect another version of this set to reach the group buy until mid 2020, so you won't have your keycaps until 2021.