Author Topic: PANIC custom key for Unicomp Spacesaver  (Read 5866 times)

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • RIP
    • Boring twaddle
PANIC custom key for Unicomp Spacesaver
« on: Sun, 26 December 2010, 09:09:59 »
I'd like a PANIC key made for a Unicomp Spacesaver, as a gift. I would ask Unicomp directly, but if possible I'd like a plastic colour that best approximates fluorescent "red". Unicomp offer bright orange that's too soft a hue, and their red is very dark and flat-looking.

Something approximating the BBC Micro's function keys would be ideal -- that vivid red-orange shade, with beautiful white double-shot lettering. I am not 100% sure whether black or white lettering would stand out more -- possibly black would be better. As a one-off though, I would imagine that black lettering is going to be the only option.

Anyone here able to do something similar as a custom job, shipped to the UK? I want to consider my options so that I know what I can choose between.

(Currently the key is labelled with a circular fluorescent red-orange circular self-adhesive label with "PANIC!" written on it using black pen, laminated with sticky-back plastic, and it would be great to have it done properly.)

(Sorry, not sure which forum to ask in, feel free to move the thread if I guessed incorrectly.)
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 December 2010, 10:20:13 »
I was thinking of this colour:

Vivid orange-red. Yes, the red in your photo is far more vivid than the red demonstrated by Unicomp in the photo they sent me of available shades. However, I did specifically have orange-red in mind. I know I won't get the double-shot moulded white lettering though.

The other colour I love is the soft blue-green function keys on the Acorn Archimedes A3010. Note that the function keys have black legends, which would make the above a lot cheaper to reproduce on a Customizer.

I'm holding off ever buying another Unicomp (I gave mine away) until I've decided on my perfect colour scheme, and someone who can source the correct plastic colours.

Interestingly, you mention the double shot posts -- the original double-shot post had a photo of a keyboard with the exact same dark olive drab colour as on the BBC Micro keyboard above, which gave me a pang of joy because I came one pigeon step closer to this being possible:

Pretend it's fully lettered -- Photoshop 7 doesn't possess the requisite perspective skew for text and I am not going to letter that by hand.

I love the look of the A3010, except that I just can't see myself with a white keyboard. Which is why, if I do like the TP3, I will be really hoping someone comes up with a 105-key black Fukka keyboard …
Bore Awards

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 December 2010, 10:25:34 »
Well, we'll see if anyone can source orange-red, which is what I was specifically asking for.

If I have to get Unicomp's red, so be it, but I want to see what options are available first.
Bore Awards