Author Topic: Hello geekhack  (Read 3554 times)

Offline vwchevyrock

Hello geekhack
« on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 22:46:29 »
Hey geekhack, its me vwchevyrock. I'm not sure what else to say other then I'm a fan of mx blue switches, heard about this place on /r/mk, and I hope to enjoy coming to this forum more often.
Currently the owner of a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid-i with mx blue switches, and a 2013 Razer Blackwidow Ultimate with mx blue switches, a Max Keyboard 8 switch tester (clicky switches are my favorite, but linears are a close second) and a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid with Cherry MX Reds. I might think about selling the Blackwidow soon, but I'm going to try Facebook/my friends before I come here.

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
Re: Hello geekhack
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 23:04:27 »
hey it's me your brother.

welcome! i came here to welcome you and tell you i hate mx blues. enjoy your stay.
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 06:29:19 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

My first modern mechanical keyboard was a Ducky Shine with MX blues :)

What keyboard have you got?  Or are you looking for one with MX blues?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline vwchevyrock

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 10:35:26 »
Sorry for the late reply, but a Quickfire Rapid-i with mx blues is what I'm currently typing on.
Currently the owner of a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid-i with mx blue switches, and a 2013 Razer Blackwidow Ultimate with mx blue switches, a Max Keyboard 8 switch tester (clicky switches are my favorite, but linears are a close second) and a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid with Cherry MX Reds. I might think about selling the Blackwidow soon, but I'm going to try Facebook/my friends before I come here.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 10:37:06 »
Hey geekhack, its me vwchevyrock. I'm not sure what else to say other then I'm a fan of mx blue switches, heard about this place on /r/mk, and I hope to enjoy coming to this forum more often.

I love you already!
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 05:50:32 »
Sorry for the late reply, but a Quickfire Rapid-i with mx blues is what I'm currently typing on.

Nice choice :)

The QFR (the original model) used to be THE keyboard to recommend if someone wanted a good keyboard with no backlighting.  Now QFR-I have backlighting - best of both worlds!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline vwchevyrock

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 09:32:02 »
I actually originally bought the qfr, but some of the switches decided to act weirdly (many started to loose a ton of their click and tactileness) about a month into using it, so I rma'd it, and last Friday I a replacement back, and they gave me back a qfr-i. When I had the qfr, I thought that I didn't need backlighting, but during the rma, I actually bought a used blackwidow ultimate 2013 with mx blues (seller said it had mx browns, but the box, how it types, and removing keycaps shows it has mx blues, but even though its a razer, $65 for a backlit full keyboard was still nice) that had backlighting on it, and I guess that board made me start to want backlighting, so when my qfr-i came, I was pretty happy about having backlighting on the qfr-i.

Offline Ramage

• * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 16:52:53 »
ALL HAIL MX BLUES!!!

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 15:21:45 »
Welcome! I wasn't a huge fan of the clicky switches (blue or green), so I got a Leopold FC660m with clears. Just picked up a TKL with greens and I haven't touched my Leopold since. It's kinda nice  :)

Leopold FC660m  CM Stealth TKL

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 16:43:13 »
Hi!

Welcome to the land of wallet hack! I hope you'll enjoy your stay as we all do. :)

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline vwchevyrock

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 00:51:38 »
I've already gotten to the point where I'm justifying buying a third keyboard, and I've only had my first mech since the start of summer.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 03:19:35 »
I've already gotten to the point where I'm justifying buying a third keyboard, and I've only had my first mech since the start of summer.

Haha yeah I feel you. You getting quickly in the mindset.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 14:09:18 »

I bought my first one this past July. I now own two. Trying to decide which direction I'll go for my third...  haha. If the Pok3r backlit version was out, I'd know for sure.

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline vwchevyrock

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 23:10:03 »
I'm mostly justifying another keyboard just because I plan on taking the qfr-i with me to highschool (I'm going to be a senior in the few more days it is until school starts) to use with my kindle to do homework and stuff when I don't want to take up desk space or waste battery on my laptop. I'm just worried about mx blues being a little too loud for school work, and less worried, but more intrigued about having an even more portable keyboard then the tenkeyless by buying a 60% sized board. Also if you were wondering how it works, I got a 3 pack of Micro USB On the go adapters that I've tested on the kindle with the qfr-i, and I've experienced no issues, and even backlighting working with the qfr-i plugged into the fire hd 7 4th(whichever the latest one is) gen. 

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 04:49:42 »
I'm mostly justifying another keyboard just because I plan on taking the qfr-i with me to highschool (I'm going to be a senior in the few more days it is until school starts) to use with my kindle to do homework and stuff when I don't want to take up desk space or waste battery on my laptop. I'm just worried about mx blues being a little too loud for school work, and less worried, but more intrigued about having an even more portable keyboard then the tenkeyless by buying a 60% sized board. Also if you were wondering how it works, I got a 3 pack of Micro USB On the go adapters that I've tested on the kindle with the qfr-i, and I've experienced no issues, and even backlighting working with the qfr-i plugged into the fire hd 7 4th(whichever the latest one is) gen. 

MX blues and greens would probably irritate the crap out of everyone around you - they generate that high-pitched tick-tick sound that travels so well, especially in quiet environments.  Even O-rings won't help with that.

Also a suggestion - if running off batteries, turn the LEDs off.  They would likely cause faster power drain on your Kindle.

For portability though, you can't go past a 60% keyboard, like  Pok3r or an HHKB.

Offline vwchevyrock

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 23:42:39 »
As nice as HHKBs are, I don't have the wallet thickness to get that yet (as much as one of those would be frickin' sweet), but I'm going to get a switch tester in the near future to see what silent switches I prefer (I've heard mx clears are the closest to blues in the tactile switch but not clicky category, but I'll for sure get a switch tester soon because all the 60% keyboards like the KBParadise V60/Poker 3 run in the $100+ range, and I don't want to go just based off of what the internet says for that kind of money) and once I've messed with the switch tester a bit (I think if I order it about now, the tester may come around payday time, so I'll know how much I have to work with, or if I have to put off buying video games for 3 weeks to get a good board) I'll figure out what switch I'll like that isn't loud, and go from there. As much as I like gaming, the %60 would be more of a typing board, so I'd prefer a switch more suitable for typing then gaming, but if the switch I get is good for both, I'd be happy.

Offline zars15

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 00:41:32 »
As nice as HHKBs are, I don't have the wallet thickness to get that yet (as much as one of those would be frickin' sweet), but I'm going to get a switch tester in the near future to see what silent switches I prefer (I've heard mx clears are the closest to blues in the tactile switch but not clicky category, but I'll for sure get a switch tester soon because all the 60% keyboards like the KBParadise V60/Poker 3 run in the $100+ range, and I don't want to go just based off of what the internet says for that kind of money) and once I've messed with the switch tester a bit (I think if I order it about now, the tester may come around payday time, so I'll know how much I have to work with, or if I have to put off buying video games for 3 weeks to get a good board) I'll figure out what switch I'll like that isn't loud, and go from there. As much as I like gaming, the %60 would be more of a typing board, so I'd prefer a switch more suitable for typing then gaming, but if the switch I get is good for both, I'd be happy.

There is absolutely no problem to game with 60%, actually more comfortable, because you can position it at nicer angles and have more room. Playing with arrow keys might be harder, but you should be able to remap controls.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 05:43:22 »

Most switches are good for almost any purpose, depending of course on the individual.  I have gamed with most of the keyboards I have, and the only real problem I had was missing dedicated function keys on the HHKB.  The double-tap problem on MX blues/greens didn't bother me at all.

MX browns are closer to blues than clears.  Browns and blues both have 45g actuation (or thereabouts), whereas clears have 55g/65g force required.

The respective DT wiki page has a force curve graph comparing browns and clears: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX_Clear

Offline vwchevyrock

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 10:13:55 »
At this point I think I'll find what's best for me once I get the switch tester in my hands, and find something that feels nice and doesn't make my nearby classmates annoyed at the amount of typing I'm doing. While I wait for shipping on that, do you have any recommendations as to good and bad places to buy mechanical keyboards from online? I'm thinking maybe the KBP V60 from mechanicalkeyboards.com
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 August 2015, 10:22:33 by vwchevyrock »

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 14:40:34 »
At this point I think I'll find what's best for me once I get the switch tester in my hands, and find something that feels nice and doesn't make my nearby classmates annoyed at the amount of typing I'm doing. While I wait for shipping on that, do you have any recommendations as to good and bad places to buy mechanical keyboards from online? I'm thinking maybe the KBP V60 from mechanicalkeyboards.com

I originally bought a board with MX Clears after reading how they felt. Based on my reading, it sounded like the only switch I'd like. After I finally got a switch tester I realized I like MX Greens and MX Blacks (less so) as well. Right now, my board with MX Greens is my daily driver. Part of that is I enjoy the heavier actuation force and clicking up a storm in my room, the other part is my FC660m with MX Clears is easier and more social to bring to the library for work opposed to my MX Greens.

As per ordering online, I believe there is a wiki for it at /r/mechanicalkeyboards on the side. Mechanicalkeyboards.com is a great website. I've ordered from them once and it was a very efficient delivery. I'd also check out Massdrop.com if you can wait a bit. Usually only score a board for a few bucks cheaper, and shipping times are especially slow, but they have a lovely mechanical keyboard group over there. Browsing the classifieds here and on /r/mechmarket are great locations as well.

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline mullidan

• !(Lt. Dan)
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 14:59:06 »
Welcome to da hack!

Offline zars15

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 16:42:09 »

I recently got myself a v60. It's a gateron black version, but pretty much same as cherry one, but without any leds(can be added manually). It's pretty damn nice board and very affordable.

Beware that there is no official way to program it, but it can be flashed from usb. Although there are no custom firmwares yet, I'm doing my best taking apart their official patches. So far I've extracted firmwares, but they seem to be encrypted.

Offline vwchevyrock

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 22:32:01 »
I actually have been looking further into my schedule, and the laptop dying is for sure a smaller worry then I think. At least half of my classes I'd be in rooms with many, many power outlets, and since I planned on only using the future 60% for the tablet when the laptop dies (I'd just use the scissor switches in the laptop, since that's easier then getting an external keyboard for the laptop desk space wise/carrying stuff wise) I think I might be better off with a cheap bluetooth scissor switch keyboard for just the tablet, and then I'll use the qfr-i at home. I'm still going to plan on getting a silent mechanical board soon though, because I want to go to college after I graduate, and the college I've looked at that I like so far has a rule that I need to stay in the dorms, so I want a more quiet board so I wouldn't annoy my roommate/classmates/library folk when I type a whole lot.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 August 2015, 22:35:05 by vwchevyrock »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 05:35:46 »

mechanicalkeyboards.com is probably one of, if not the, best place to get a large range of keyboards from in the US.

Plus they have a vendor sub-forum here, so feel free to ask questions of them before you buy.

Or http://www.elitekeyboards.com/ if you want Topre.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 22:38:15 »
hello rock
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.