Author Topic: Suited Up Keycaps  (Read 961917 times)

Offline 180159

• Just a guy who likes collecting artisan keycaps
Re: The Suited Up Keycaps Sale Thread
« Reply #1850 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 09:42:30 »
Really disappointing to see several people get 5 or more caps.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
I got 6 ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why do people feel like they need to rub this in? If anything take pics and show everyone your spoils. Don't just say you got X amount just to rub it in.
Cause it's funny to make sore losers whine even more

Offline Overchecken8

« Reply #1851 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 09:44:03 »

I got 6 ;)

Why do people feel like they need to rub this in? If anything take pics and show everyone your spoils. Don't just say you got X amount just to rub it in.

Weren't you just whining on the booper thread?

Offline 180159

The Suited Up Keycaps Sale Thread
« Reply #1852 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 09:46:21 »

I got 6 ;)

Weren't you just whining on the booper thread?
Yo know it, but just saying congrats to the winners and hope I win next time, I wasn't saying the winners don't deserve to win because they got 4 keys and I got none.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #1853 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 09:48:45 »

Well, if you were only able to get one or two caps, most people would probably not join a blind box sale.

Sent from my microwave oven using alternating current
Who said anything about limiting it to two though? And some people got just one I think? Is three or four still not enough?

Anyway, I expressed my disappointment, but I'm not demanding bambino change how he does his sales. I am not entitled to the caps but I can be disappointed just the same.

If it's any consolation, let me reassure you that the number of keys you requested did not influence whether you were a winner or whether you were placed on the naughty or nice list.

The majority of orders received 1-3 caps. Those folks just seem less inclined to post pictures, so the recent posts are not representative of orders as a whole.
It doesn't, honestly. I can pretend to be okay with it and try to kiss ass, but I'd rather be honest and express my disappointment. I don't need to get a cap to feel better, I just think more people could've gotten a cap or caps. I'm not even saying everyone should get a cap or anything unreasonable like that, but it's hard to feel happy for people who got 5 or more while others got nothing.

No, I'm not saying you made the wrong type of sale, I'm saying I'm disappointed about the outcome. That's my opinion, and it seems at least one other guy.

I think you might be looking at this the wrong way. It makes it much easier on the seller to ship more caps to one person. They do less invoicing, less packaging, and save time/money on shipping. This also allows them to ship out the caps earlier so people get them faster. I think the amount of caps someone receives is pretty irrelevant in a raffle. It's a raffle, not everyone is gonna win. You win to pay, and if you're willing to pay more, you're gonna get more caps. That's how it is. Yeah some people didn't win and others got multiple caps but it's the same with any raffle sale around here. I've lost plenty of raffles but I just see it as saved money. Now what really would be the problem is someone getting multiple caps and selling them for profit, that's what you should feel disappointed about and at that point I would agree with you.

Why do you explain all this **** that everyone already knows about? I said I just expressed my disappointment, and not demanding a different kind of sale. People can't get disappointed anymore? Are we all supposed to pretend to be nice and happy all the time?

I got 6 ;)

Some people just need attention man, how else can they justify the caps they got if nobody acknowledges them?

"haters are confused admirers"

Offline 180159

« Reply #1854 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 09:53:17 »

Well, if you were only able to get one or two caps, most people would probably not join a blind box sale.

Who said anything about limiting it to two though? And some people got just one I think? Is three or four still not enough?

Anyway, I expressed my disappointment, but I'm not demanding bambino change how he does his sales. I am not entitled to the caps but I can be disappointed just the same.

If it's any consolation, let me reassure you that the number of keys you requested did not influence whether you were a winner or whether you were placed on the naughty or nice list.

The majority of orders received 1-3 caps. Those folks just seem less inclined to post pictures, so the recent posts are not representative of orders as a whole.
It doesn't, honestly. I can pretend to be okay with it and try to kiss ass, but I'd rather be honest and express my disappointment. I don't need to get a cap to feel better, I just think more people could've gotten a cap or caps. I'm not even saying everyone should get a cap or anything unreasonable like that, but it's hard to feel happy for people who got 5 or more while others got nothing.

No, I'm not saying you made the wrong type of sale, I'm saying I'm disappointed about the outcome. That's my opinion, and it seems at least one other guy.

I think you might be looking at this the wrong way. It makes it much easier on the seller to ship more caps to one person. They do less invoicing, less packaging, and save time/money on shipping. This also allows them to ship out the caps earlier so people get them faster. I think the amount of caps someone receives is pretty irrelevant in a raffle. It's a raffle, not everyone is gonna win. You win to pay, and if you're willing to pay more, you're gonna get more caps. That's how it is. Yeah some people didn't win and others got multiple caps but it's the same with any raffle sale around here. I've lost plenty of raffles but I just see it as saved money. Now what really would be the problem is someone getting multiple caps and selling them for profit, that's what you should feel disappointed about and at that point I would agree with you.

Why do you explain all this **** that everyone already knows about? I said I just expressed my disappointment, and not demanding a different kind of sale. People can't get disappointed anymore? Are we all supposed to pretend to be nice and happy all the time?

I got 6 ;)

Some people just need attention man, how else can they justify the caps they got if nobody acknowledges them?
Right, right, because excitement over winning isn't a thing right? It's just for attention.

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #1855 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 09:53:38 »
Going to ignore all this chatter above me and say thanks bambino for the amazing caps. I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the snapper when I got two of them in (traded them away since neither matched my colorways) but I am hunting for one that does because of how much I enjoyed the look of them! Excellent artisan caps!

Offline 180159

« Reply #1856 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 09:55:24 »
Going to ignore all this chatter above me and say thanks bambino for the amazing caps. I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the snapper when I got two of them in (traded them away since neither matched my colorways) but I am hunting for one that does because of how much I enjoyed the look of them! Excellent artisan caps!
I'm gonna follow your example and just stop arguing over the internet like it matters at all.

Offline Overchecken8

« Reply #1857 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 09:56:33 »
Any pics? The snappers quickly becoming one of my fave sculpts

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #1858 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 09:59:20 »

I got 6 ;)

Right, right, because excitement over winning isn't a thing right? It's just for attention.

Guys guys be nice man :) There's no reason to be rude. We all love artisans here, and Bambinos are just amazing.

I can never get enough of people's picture, I love to look at them. It's just like with anything beautiful or fascinating, people just want to share their excitement, noting wrong with that :)

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #1859 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 10:01:29 »

my potato camera doesn't do them justice. I always thought they were going to be bigger but when you get them in they were much smaller then I though and fit my board perfectly.

imgur link because they always upload sideways for some reason http://imgur.com/a/MynLx and http://imgur.com/a/JYaiI

156373-0156371-1
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 December 2016, 10:03:31 by breusch91 »

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #1860 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 10:02:57 »

my potato camera doesn't do them justice. I always thought they were going to be bigger but when you get them in they were much smaller then I though and fit my board perfectly. (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)
Wow that PB looks so yummy

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #1861 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 10:11:56 »
Can't wait for the day when I win some these divine pieces of art. Thank you for making these bambino!!

Offline Overchecken8

« Reply #1862 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 10:14:17 »

my potato camera doesn't do them justice. I always thought they were going to be bigger but when you get them in they were much smaller then I though and fit my board perfectly.

imgur link because they always upload sideways for some reason http://imgur.com/a/MynLx and http://imgur.com/a/JYaiI

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)
That starshine looks sweet!

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #1863 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 10:16:09 »

Yea it looked awesome! No keysets to match it though so traded it to a good home where it should actually see use :) on the lookout for a carbonite to match my sa carbon keyset

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #1864 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 10:21:43 »

Yea it looked awesome! No keysets to match it though so traded it to a good home where it should actually see use :) on the lookout for a carbonite to match my sa carbon keyset
That's awesome dude. The snapper is one of my favorite designs of all time. I have a Carbonite in the mail for my GMK Carbon (shout out to Ubernooby for setting me up!!!) and I can't wait to see it :)

Do you know if Nanotube is the same color? I think they could both work for carbon perhaps.

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #1865 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 10:23:00 »

That's awesome dude. The snapper is one of my favorite designs of all time. I have a Carbonite in the mail for my GMK Carbon (shout out to Ubernooby for setting me up!!!) and I can't wait to see it :)

Do you know if Nanotube is the same color? I think they could both work for carbon perhaps.

From what ive seen nanotube is just without the orange dots on the back, but boy do I want those extra dots on the back! haha

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #1866 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 10:31:27 »

From what ive seen nanotube is just without the orange dots on the back, but boy do I want those extra dots on the back! haha

I think the all grey one will also look super good :) 

I really need ANY pink Suited Up cap though :'(

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #1867 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 10:37:02 »

I think the all grey one will also look super good :) 

Show Image

might be able to help ya out ;) sending a pm

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1868 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 10:48:11 »

Show Image

What are these caps?

Offline tripandfall426

« Reply #1869 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 11:02:23 »

Show Image

What are these caps?

Show Image

the skulls on the left and right look like switzcaps, he also had octos and blanks with this sale as well

b.mini

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #1870 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 11:16:54 »

Show Image

What are these caps?

Show Image

the skulls on the left and right look like switzcaps, he also had octos and blanks with this sale as well
Switz yeah, I'm trying to find the name of the other one right, I just can't remember.

Offline GreyAmbience

Offline BabrahamDinkin

« Reply #1872 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 13:29:10 »
Was hesitant to post this since I was one of the people who got extremely lucky this sale, but the keys are so gorgeous I feel like these deserve to be posted regardless.

Offline Overchecken8

« Reply #1873 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 13:32:35 »
Was hesitant to post this since I was one of the people who got extremely lucky this sale, but the keys are so gorgeous I feel like these deserve to be posted regardless.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

So what would it take to take that Sky High snapper off your hands...? Cuz I have a first born child and a relatively clean soul for trade

Offline tomboy

« Reply #1874 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 13:48:45 »
This little guy came in the mail today:

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #1875 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 14:05:53 »
To the person(s) complaining about those getting 5-6 keys, remember part of the purpose of blind bag sales is for people to get colors/sculpts they don't want so they will trade with others. I did not get into the sale and have managed (mostly through trade) to get 5 caps I really wanted. That means other artisans are entering circulation that were not before, and also that people are getting exactly what they wanted after interacting with the community instead of just collecting and lurking. 

So people are interacting together and trading which are all good things for the community. More than the average style of sale I'd say a blind bag method is a good way to sell artisan keycaps. For the artisan and the collector.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #1876 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 14:32:44 »
To the person(s) complaining about those getting 5-6 keys, remember part of the purpose of blind bag sales is for people to get colors/sculpts they don't want so they will trade with others. I did not get into the sale and have managed (mostly through trade) to get 5 caps I really wanted. That means other artisans are entering circulation that were not before, and also that people are getting exactly what they wanted after interacting with the community instead of just collecting and lurking. 

So people are interacting together and trading which are all good things for the community. More than the average style of sale I'd say a blind bag method is a good way to sell artisan keycaps. For the artisan and the collector.

That's exactly what I was thinking but were too lazy to write  <3

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #1877 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 15:04:55 »
Anybody got more pictures of them FeelsBadKeys?

I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1878 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 01:16:27 »

Agreed. I literally have (or have incoming) Everything that I wanted out of this sale. I think I even traded with OP of this post haha

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #1879 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 04:32:02 »
One obvious catch, however: you need to have artisans already in order to trade for more artisans. And I'm not talking good quality stuff like Navacaps or Aerokeys, you need the wildly popular fugus, kk, hws, booper, bro, suited up, etc. caps to trade for these. And that barrier to entry is either a couple hundred dollars to pay the aftermarket prices, or to get lucky in a sale from the previously mentioned artisans.

Without luck or lots of spare cash, if you are a have-not then you will continue to be a have-not until you finally win or purchase something that is highly sought after.

Every fugu (1 toothy) and kk cap (1 FR and 1 bento) I have I got from 1) getting lucky in the Invasion Pt. II sale, in which I made a deal with my fiance's cousin to swap for his me@tbags. And 2) from having $100 to spend on a toothy from a kind canadian guy that refused my offer of $150 because he felt "everyone pays way too much for artisans these days". Since then I've lost every sale in which I'd be able to trade for another colorway of toothy fugu without giving up my 3 most prized artisans, because the only people in possession of such caps want the rare stuff that I have no other way to get (aside from spending hundreds of dollars).

Sometimes I even wonder at how many paypal addresses repeatedly "lucky" folks enter these sales with, and if I'm being a fool for only ever entering just the one that corresponds to my reddit and geekhack profile.

----------------

All that said, fairness is a complex issue and I can't see any other system than raffling that would be more fair without hiring some kind of distributor that could ship on your behalf. These sales are lots of fun for me, win or lose, but mostly because I now have every cap I had a burning desire to own (all three of them lol). My heart's out to anyone feeling the salt from missing out on something you really wanted. I believe you WILL get what you truly want in the end, though it might take a ton of lurking on /r/mm and the geekhack classifieds. You'll gain some friends along the way, too.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 December 2016, 04:47:23 by fatpolomanjr »
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #1880 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 05:54:50 »
One obvious catch, however: you need to have artisans already in order to trade for more artisans. And I'm not talking good quality stuff like Navacaps or Aerokeys, you need the wildly popular fugus, kk, hws, booper, bro, suited up, etc. caps to trade for these. And that barrier to entry is either a couple hundred dollars to pay the aftermarket prices, or to get lucky in a sale from the previously mentioned artisans.

Without luck or lots of spare cash, if you are a have-not then you will continue to be a have-not until you finally win or purchase something that is highly sought after.

Every fugu (1 toothy) and kk cap (1 FR and 1 bento) I have I got from 1) getting lucky in the Invasion Pt. II sale, in which I made a deal with my fiance's cousin to swap for his me@tbags. And 2) from having $100 to spend on a toothy from a kind canadian guy that refused my offer of $150 because he felt "everyone pays way too much for artisans these days". Since then I've lost every sale in which I'd be able to trade for another colorway of toothy fugu without giving up my 3 most prized artisans, because the only people in possession of such caps want the rare stuff that I have no other way to get (aside from spending hundreds of dollars).

Sometimes I even wonder at how many paypal addresses repeatedly "lucky" folks enter these sales with, and if I'm being a fool for only ever entering just the one that corresponds to my reddit and geekhack profile.

----------------

All that said, fairness is a complex issue and I can't see any other system than raffling that would be more fair without hiring some kind of distributor that could ship on your behalf. These sales are lots of fun for me, win or lose, but mostly because I now have every cap I had a burning desire to own (all three of them lol). My heart's out to anyone feeling the salt from missing out on something you really wanted. I believe you WILL get what you truly want in the end, though it might take a ton of lurking on /r/mm and the geekhack classifieds. You'll gain some friends along the way, too.
I can tell you that I know of at least one person who cheated in Bambinos latest sale. Either that or he is demented and can't tell numbers apart.

It's very annoying to see when you didn't win anything your self. I don't know how the artisan makers can combat this problem.

*Edit, side note; I just remembered that Binge said he has suspected someone for rigging the system in his last sale and is investigating.

Offline Overchecken8

« Reply #1881 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 07:56:12 »

----------------

Agree 100% with everything you said. Sure it's fine and dandy for these guys that have boopers, bros, HWS, and all these top of the line caps. If they want something they can trade for it. If you don't have something worth trading then you have to win in a raffle (seems impossible) or spend $$$$$ on aftermarket keycaps. The snappers are now at $80+ it seems and looks like they won't be going below that anytime soon.

And yeah. I know there's a few people out there with multiple accounts and proxies so they have better chances at raffling. Sucks for the people out there that just have their one honest account and enter that one time in the raffle (myself included). But what can you do about that? Seems like something impossible to police. Just gotta keep hoping us people with one raffle attempt eventually win some.

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #1882 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 08:03:35 »

----------------

Agree 100% with everything you said. Sure it's fine and dandy for these guys that have boopers, bros, HWS, and all these top of the line caps. If they want something they can trade for it. If you don't have something worth trading then you have to win in a raffle (seems impossible) or spend $$$$$ on aftermarket keycaps. The snappers are now at $80+ it seems and looks like they won't be going below that anytime soon.

And yeah. I know there's a few people out there with multiple accounts and proxies so they have better chances at raffling. Sucks for the people out there that just have their one honest account and enter that one time in the raffle (myself included). But what can you do about that? Seems like something impossible to police. Just gotta keep hoping us people with one raffle attempt eventually win some.
I wanted to buy a snapper from someone, but someone else offered him $150 for it.

Offline 180159

« Reply #1883 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 08:56:43 »

----------------

I wanted to buy a snapper from someone, but someone else offered him $150 for it.

That's crazy as **** I've bought two for 80 they're not worth 150 at all.

Offline majordookie

« Reply #1884 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 09:14:49 »

----------------

Supply and demand lol

Offline 180159

« Reply #1885 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 09:15:56 »

----------------

Supply and demand lol
The supply is bigger after the sale, but I guess this guy just really wanted that specific snapper.

Offline polentA

• Formerly withoutrulers
  • GMK plz
« Reply #1886 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 10:43:41 »

----------------

I'm always stuck I feel. I occasionally have money to spend on artisans, but I would really prefer to give my money to the creator/artist. I have finally acquired enough artisans to make a couple trades, and that experience has been awesome, and it feels more fair, rather than forking over cash.

Got my eyes on a Plasma Snapper for a red keyboard I have been working on, and I am willing to pay some good $$ for one, but I am going to try and trade for one first. I know some makers are open to private sales, while others prefer to use raffles and sales only.

This is a super fun hobby I enjoy in my spare time, and I totally respect the wishes of the creators. It's just really hard to resist paying out when something you have been hunting for months/years is finally offered for a price you can afford. But I still wish this money went to the maker :/

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #1887 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 11:13:09 »

I was negotiating a trade with someone, and they told me what they wanted then went dark. Next day after messaging them again they came back said someone paid them $250 for two Snappers.

I honestly don't think it is the community as a whole that jacks prices up, it is the few people with bottomless pockets that do it. Right now when everyone is paying $75-ish for Snappers someone offering double that will get everything they want and take it from people offering less. Suddenly if you want anything you have to start spending what bottomless pockets guy spends. Once they figure out they are not getting everything they want, they start offering even more and before you know it artisans are $1000 even for mass produced colorways like Herr Freitag Skull.

The only way around this situation is limited artisans made with resin direct from the maker at high "original artwork" prices, then mass produced, like 100s to 1000s, at much lower "prints" prices. I'm still baffled that no one has adopted this yet, it has been the norm in the art world for decades.

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #1888 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 11:16:05 »

I was negotiating a trade with someone, and they told me what they wanted then went dark. Next day after messaging them again they came back said someone paid them $250 for two Snappers.

I honestly don't think it is the community as a whole that jacks prices up, it is the few people with bottomless pockets that do it. Right now when everyone is paying $75-ish for Snappers someone offering double that will get everything they want and take it from people offering less. Suddenly if you want anything you have to start spending what bottomless pockets guy spends. Once they figure out they are not getting everything they want, they start offering even more and before you know it artisans are $1000 even for mass produced colorways like Herr Freitag Skull.

The only way around this situation is limited artisans made with resin direct from the maker at high "original artwork" prices, then mass produced, like 100s to 1000s, at much lower "prints" prices. I'm still baffled that no one has adopted this yet, it has been the norm in the art world for decades.
That would suck :(

Offline 180159

« Reply #1889 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 11:17:12 »

I actually have a few snappers, so you'd think I'd be happy to see them jump in price, but I'm actually super annoyed by it, a few people who have bottomless pockets, like you said are jacking up the prices unfairly.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #1890 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 11:30:19 »

Would it suck to get as many artisans as you wanted in all sorts of crazy colors at reasonable prices while those with bottomless pockets buy originals for hundreds-thousands of dollars?

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #1891 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 11:31:43 »

Would it suck to get as many artisans as you wanted in all sorts of crazy colors at reasonable prices while those with bottomless pockets buy originals for hundreds-thousands of dollars?
Yeah, I kind of like the limited availability. It's makes it so exciting to win or to do a trade for something you want.

Offline 180159

« Reply #1892 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 11:37:32 »

Yeah, I kind of like the limited availability. It's makes it so exciting to win or to do a trade for something you want.

Yeah what the heck? I love collecting artisans because when you end up with that perfect unique artisan, that only you and one other person have it's special, plus trading towards it is like a journey. It's like how cheating on video games ruins the fun.

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #1893 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 13:43:28 »

There are no "prints" for any of my keycaps because they're ALL hand-made and hand-finished.  I don't think anyone, myself included, really wants me to contract a factory to make copies of my keys so I can sell "prints." 

But I'm all for opening a discussion to hear constructive feedback about what is wrong with artisan sales and how to fix any problems.  My goal is to provide the best experience possible to someone who buys (or wants to buy) a Suited Up keycap.  There are a lot of ways for me to reach that goal, so the challenge is determining what will get me the closest to the goal and with the fewest downsides.

Some steps I could take:

(1) Change to FCFS sales. 
Good: If done correctly, reduces the chance of someone successfully "gaming" a sale.  Sale can be resolved more quickly since orders and invoices can theoretically be taken and sent immediately.  Some fans get their all of their top choice keycaps.
Bad: Unfair to many international buyers, people with conflicting schedules, slow internet connection, etc.  The most sought-after keys end up in a few peoples' collections rather than being more evenly distributed.
Comment: There are ways to mitigate the bad effects here, but they can over-complicate the process.  Generally the bad outweighs the good here when it comes to giving people the best experience possible, but sometimes it's just more convenient than other formats.

(2) Limit who can enter a sale aka "50 posts on Geekhack" minimum.
Good: Reduces cheating. Tends to get keys to those who actually want them.  Supports loyal fans.
Bad: SO MANY fans are new/first-timers in each sale.  New fans shouldn't be presumed to be cheaters.  Gives off the appearance of an elitist or exclusive community.
Comment: I somehow want to do this (albeit in a relatively minimally restrictive way).  I like how CtrlAlt has you sign up for an account in order to enter one of their sales.  That seems like a reasonable hurdle to cross to enter a sale, along with other benefits like ensuring that each entrant is using a real address/email address.  There are also some behind the scenes things you can do to improve sale speed and quality.  I unfortunately haven't had any time to try to set up a website that can allow me to do this, but it's on my wishlist.

(3) Raise prices or use auction-like sales.
Good: Reduces flipping/aftermarket markup.  Some fans would rather see the money go to the artist.  Incentivizes the artist to pour more time and energy into each key, to push the "wow factor."
Bad: Increases barrier to entry for new fans.  Can lead to an image issue like making the seller look greedy or out of touch.  May reduce overall key quantity available.
Comment: I've been very happy to be able to sell keys at the prices I've used, but if there were some changes I could make to either the prices I use or how a sale works that emphasizes these good things and minimizes the bad, I'd love to hear your ideas.

(4) Change to "group buy" style sales aka HKP style.
Good: Everyone gets something from the sale.  Increases availability of keycaps.
Bad: Reduces the uniqueness of each keycap.  Fulfillment can take much longer.  Diversity of what is offered in the sale usually goes down (unless it is blind box, which many people don't prefer).  There are fewer sales in a given amount of time.  Community-building trading can go down.
Comment: I'll probably try this style at some point if the subject matter of what is offered in the sale suggests it.  I'm still mulling over whether this is a good way to go.

(5) Increase production.
Good: More fans get something. Increases availability of at least some keycaps.
Bad: Time between sales increases.  Sale fulfillment time increases.  Diversity of designs can go down, so each key may feel less special.
Comment: I have some plans in the works to address this idea.

Are there any other ideas from the rest of you about how to improve fans' experience?   I'd love to hear what you have to say.  Send me a PM if you prefer. 

Thanks for all your feedback so far; it is much appreciated.

Offline 180159

« Reply #1894 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 13:49:25 »

There are no "prints" for any of my keycaps because they're ALL hand-made and hand-finished.  I don't think anyone, myself included, really wants me to contract a factory to make copies of my keys so I can sell "prints." 

But I'm all for opening a discussion to hear constructive feedback about what is wrong with artisan sales and how to fix any problems.  My goal is to provide the best experience possible to someone who buys (or wants to buy) a Suited Up keycap.  There are a lot of ways for me to reach that goal, so the challenge is determining what will get me the closest to the goal and with the fewest downsides.

Some steps I could take:

(1) Change to FCFS sales. 
Good: If done correctly, reduces the chance of someone successfully "gaming" a sale.  Sale can be resolved more quickly since orders and invoices can theoretically be taken and sent immediately.  Some fans get their all of their top choice keycaps.
Bad: Unfair to many international buyers, people with conflicting schedules, slow internet connection, etc.  The most sought-after keys end up in a few peoples' collections rather than being more evenly distributed.
Comment: There are ways to mitigate the bad effects here, but they can over-complicate the process.  Generally the bad outweighs the good here when it comes to giving people the best experience possible, but sometimes it's just more convenient than other formats.

(2) Limit who can enter a sale aka "50 posts on Geekhack" minimum.
Good: Reduces cheating. Tends to get keys to those who actually want them.  Supports loyal fans.
Bad: SO MANY fans are new/first-timers in each sale.  New fans shouldn't be presumed to be cheaters.  Gives off the appearance of an elitist or exclusive community.
Comment: I somehow want to do this (albeit in a relatively minimally restrictive way).  I like how CtrlAlt has you sign up for an account in order to enter one of their sales.  That seems like a reasonable hurdle to cross to enter a sale, along with other benefits like ensuring that each entrant is using a real address/email address.  There are also some behind the scenes things you can do to improve sale speed and quality.  I unfortunately haven't had any time to try to set up a website that can allow me to do this, but it's on my wishlist.

(3) Raise prices or use auction-like sales.
Good: Reduces flipping/aftermarket markup.  Some fans would rather see the money go to the artist.  Incentivizes the artist to pour more time and energy into each key, to push the "wow factor."
Bad: Increases barrier to entry for new fans.  Can lead to an image issue like making the seller look greedy or out of touch.  May reduce overall key quantity available.
Comment: I've been very happy to be able to sell keys at the prices I've used, but if there were some changes I could make to either the prices I use or how a sale works that emphasizes these good things and minimizes the bad, I'd love to hear your ideas.

(4) Change to "group buy" style sales aka HKP style.
Good: Everyone gets something from the sale.  Increases availability of keycaps.
Bad: Reduces the uniqueness of each keycap.  Fulfillment can take much longer.  Diversity of what is offered in the sale usually goes down (unless it is blind box, which many people don't prefer).  There are fewer sales in a given amount of time.  Community-building trading can go down.
Comment: I'll probably try this style at some point if the subject matter of what is offered in the sale suggests it.  I'm still mulling over whether this is a good way to go.

(5) Increase production.
Good: More fans get something. Increases availability of at least some keycaps.
Bad: Time between sales increases.  Sale fulfillment time increases.  Diversity of designs can go down, so each key may feel less special.
Comment: I have some plans in the works to address this idea.

Are there any other ideas from the rest of you about how to improve fans' experience?   I'd love to hear what you have to say.  Send me a PM if you prefer. 

Thanks for all your feedback so far; it is much appreciated.
This is interesting, I think fcfs sales aren't as fair as raffles, I think setting up a site where you need an account is pretty smart to cut down on multiple entries. At the end of the day it's up to you :)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1895 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 13:55:08 »

I've got no dog in this fight, but I couldn't help but notice the lack of the option that was discussed thus far.  Why not simply limit the number of caps a participant can receive?  Again, I'm not particularly concerned one way or the other, but if you're going to bother changing things I think it's worth exploring the option that was suggested by those that are disappointed.  I also think it's the least burdensome on you and your process, while most effectively "spreading the love".

Offline Overchecken8

The Suited Up Keycaps Sale Thread
« Reply #1896 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 14:08:33 »

I've got no dog in this fight, but I couldn't help but notice the lack of the option that was discussed thus far.  Why not simply limit the number of caps a participant can receive?  Again, I'm not particularly concerned one way or the other, but if you're going to bother changing things I think it's worth exploring the option that was suggested by those that are disappointed.  I also think it's the least burdensome on you and your process, while most effectively "spreading the love".
I hate the blind box raffles with like 9 cap limits. I think ETF had one and there were a few users that won 9 and immediately flipped them all. Instead of that one person making off with ~$800, 9 people could have actually enjoyed those caps for a reasonable price. Bambinos got some good points in his latest post though. Definitely worth discussing and finding a better way.

Edit: I still think 6 is a little high although obviously not as bad as 9. I personally think 3 is the most that should be for a blind raffle.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 December 2016, 14:17:01 by Overchecken8 »

Offline 180159

« Reply #1897 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 14:34:45 »

I hate the blind box raffles with like 9 cap limits. I think ETF had one and there were a few users that won 9 and immediately flipped them all. Instead of that one person making off with ~$800, 9 people could have actually enjoyed those caps for a reasonable price. Bambinos got some good points in his latest post though. Definitely worth discussing and finding a better way.

Edit: I still think 6 is a little high although obviously not as bad as 9. I personally think 3 is the most that should be for a blind raffle.
Nah, blind raffles are cool because you can win lots of random caps and then the community trades and it brings more interaction, I think 6 is pretty high as well, but I think 4 max is a fair amount, considering only a few people will get that many.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1898 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 14:36:23 »

Nah, blind raffles are cool because you can win lots of random caps and then the community trades and it brings more interaction, I think 6 is pretty high as well, but I think 4 max is a fair amount, considering only a few people will get that many.

I really enjoyed Hipster's blind sale for 2 caps each.  Gives so many people a taste of his work and makes each cap a little more special too.

Offline 180159

« Reply #1899 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 14:38:16 »

I really enjoyed Hipster's blind sale for 2 caps each.  Gives so many people a taste of his work and makes each cap a little more special too.
I wish I had been around for those. Plus if you do sales like that then you can put more thought and love into each cap.