Author Topic: Suited Up Keycaps  (Read 961905 times)

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
Re: The Suited Up Keycaps Sale Thread - Blade Brandished!
« Reply #2700 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 17:16:59 »
... is a direct successor to, my original stylized Keybuto character.

There's your fallacy. Your keybuto was never original to begin with, and with this iteration you're just getting closer to the other design in terms of aesthetic cues.

What arguments(plural) with other members? There was like one guy. If anything, there was another user who pointed out the same issue I first made observation of.

You're literally shoo-ing away criticism, while deflecting the real conversation to be had, all while being a jerk about it.

Not worth your time

There's an issue pertaining to artistic integrity. Since we're talking about artisan grade products, these most certainly are synonymous in their visual representation to their creator. I see a fugu, I think of ETF.
I'm sure any artisan here can do a better Kosmonavt sculpt than the original and Booper would 100% agree with me on that, since it was her first cap and made on top of a cherry profile keycap(think bulky and tall), BUT do any of them do it? No, of course not...

I was just trying to understand your decision, since you are clearly able of original ideas (the thought and explanations you put in the Zen series was awesome), but in my opinion - which is clearly not shared by many of you - the keybuto is in no way an original design.

Merutz, I am being direct with you because you are taking shots at my work and integrity.  Let me try to de-escalate the conversation, because I have no grudge against you personally.  Although I disagree with you, I invited you to start a thread or directly contact me to discuss your concerns, redirecting criticism to somewhere more appropriate.  In my book, that is facilitating the airing and discussion of criticism rather than silencing it. 

Regarding artistic integrity, I feel you are unfairly conflating stealing (bad) with sharing a common theme (not bad).  We see this a lot on Geekhack, yet there is usually a lot of cognitive dissonance when it comes up.  There is room in the world for more than one samurai-themed keycap, just like there is room enough for the many skull, feline, robot, and monkey themed keycaps out there (to name a few).  Your objection to this particular key therefore feels like you are singling me out for some reason. 

Any samurai-themed key will have certain features and shapes in common, or it wouldn't be samurai-themed anymore.  After comparing the shapes of the Keybuto's shikoro, tare, mabiszashi, maedate, fukigaeshi, and mempo (especially at the mouth and cheekbone areas), there is very little clearly in common with Bro's cap.  All of those areas are dissimilar to the Bro cap, which is why, as seen in other comments today, many reasonable minds agree that this work falls on the "common theme" (not stealing) side of the line.  Also, for the record, before I completed my original Keybuto, I had never heard of or seen that Bro cap.  That's the plain truth, whether you want to believe it or not, so I have no problem identifying Keybuto as my original work.

Finally, after almost 17 months of exhausting, daily work and sacrifice producing and supporting Keybutos, I think that when someone sees a Keybuto, they think of Bambino or Suited Up Keycaps.  They probably don't think of an obscure Bro cap.  Also, Bro never once contacted me to make an objection after Keybuto was originally revealed.  After all this, I humbly think I've earned the right to continue to promote and produce what has essentially become synonymous with my name and brand without retroactively being called a thief. 

Thank you for your input and passion, but hopefully this is now more than enough to explain why I'd appreciate you taking my invitation to discuss this elsewhere if you want to continue to raise this issue.  I've tried to be respectful in my words.  Now I'll get back to working on getting Keybuto II into peoples' hands, hopefully with more pictures to come this weekend :thumb:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2701 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 17:55:08 »
Any hints on when the sale will be? Been dying for a Keybuto redesign in a lower profile, and I love the first colorway posted.

Offline LDobler

« Reply #2702 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 18:00:16 »
Any hints on when the sale will be? Been dying for a Keybuto redesign in a lower profile, and I love the first colorway posted.

Also interested!

Gotta get my first SUK win  ;D

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #2703 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 20:44:00 »
... is a direct successor to, my original stylized Keybuto character.

There's your fallacy. Your keybuto was never original to begin with, and with this iteration you're just getting closer to the other design in terms of aesthetic cues.

What arguments(plural) with other members? There was like one guy. If anything, there was another user who pointed out the same issue I first made observation of.

You're literally shoo-ing away criticism, while deflecting the real conversation to be had, all while being a jerk about it.

Not worth your time

(Attachment Link)

There's an issue pertaining to artistic integrity. Since we're talking about artisan grade products, these most certainly are synonymous in their visual representation to their creator. I see a fugu, I think of ETF.
I'm sure any artisan here can do a better Kosmonavt sculpt than the original and Booper would 100% agree with me on that, since it was her first cap and made on top of a cherry profile keycap(think bulky and tall), BUT do any of them do it? No, of course not...

I was just trying to understand your decision, since you are clearly able of original ideas (the thought and explanations you put in the Zen series was awesome), but in my opinion - which is clearly not shared by many of you - the keybuto is in no way an original design.

Merutz you need to step down your sucking up to Brocaps and take it to the MechanicalKeyboard slack channel where it belongs. That's all that this is.
If bro had a problem with the Keybuto, a year ago when it came out, I'm sure he has contated Bambino about it like the professional artisan he is.

I don't even want to argue with you because this kind of **** is getting so ****ing annoying. Everyone grabbing every chance they can get to defend bro or suck up to him in some way.

+1 Dude!  :D :thumb:

Offline ambalek

• Pizza tonight/Threat neutralized
« Reply #2704 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 03:18:54 »
It's almost May 5th which is Kodomo no Hi in Japan. Is that why Keybuto is the next sale? Families usually have a kabuto on display for that holiday.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children%27s_Day_(Japan)

Offline badchad

« Reply #2705 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 12:20:20 »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BAD

Offline theteam

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2706 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 15:51:22 »
smh at this useless drama

would love to see some zen series color on keybuto

Offline popkorn62

• No keyboards for old men
    • Mekibo
« Reply #2707 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 17:24:43 »
I cannot wait for this!!
==============
https://mekibo.com/

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #2708 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 18:32:10 »

Offline OneNightFriend

« Reply #2709 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 18:42:21 »

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #2710 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 18:57:23 »
Show Image

Yuppp, going for the Carbon and chocolate one. Now just need one for SA Camping!

Offline swangful

« Reply #2711 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 20:32:32 »
These looks awesome. Dolch colorway?? :D

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #2712 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 22:35:11 »

Some Topre love.

Offline Arallu

« Reply #2713 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 22:41:09 »
Show Image

Some Topre love.

That is sexy!

Offline amos5606

« Reply #2714 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 23:50:40 »
Show Image

Some Topre love.
This is remarkable.
What will fill your hearts with delight ,,

Offline m1raz

« Reply #2715 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 00:37:19 »
Show Image

Very sharp picture! Love your V2 design :thumb:
The HF matched and black one will be my top choices if I can get to choose.

Offline popkorn62

• No keyboards for old men
    • Mekibo
« Reply #2716 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 02:57:54 »
I need the carbon, chocolate and nantucket if possible. Ugh all of these look amazing!
==============
https://mekibo.com/

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #2717 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 03:47:10 »
Show Image

Some Topre love.

I need this for my hhkb please!

Offline oatmicro

« Reply #2718 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 14:45:08 »
Really need that MX Carbon and Topre love  :cool:

Offline Meitachi

• Je sui prest
« Reply #2719 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 19:01:21 »
Anyone ever make a newspaper kabuto helmet as a kid?  :) The keybuto brings back so many of these memories!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder

Offline Jedi

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #2722 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 10:45:51 »

I'm aiming for opening the sale sometime this weekend or early next week.  Detailed info coming soon.  Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 May 2017, 10:48:27 by Bambino »

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
« Reply #2723 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 16:24:57 »
I'm more excited for sale than any other I can think of. Way more so than Bro's upcoming Cosmos 2 sale. I got DSA Otaku a little while ago and wanted a Sinister Keybuto to go with it. Since then my study of Japanese has been paying off (not due to Otaku haha) and now I want to get a JIS layout red Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL with true JIS layout so I can have a keyboard and keyset that will actually be useful for further learning the language. A white, black or red Keybuto 2 on it would make it perfect. Excellent timing for this artisan to come out.

Thanks Bambino! Hopefully I'll get the chance to give you my money soon. ^__^
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 May 2017, 16:58:44 by Koatl »
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #2724 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 17:04:00 »
Show Image

I'm aiming for opening the sale sometime this weekend or early next week.  Detailed info coming soon.  Thanks everyone!

Calmbuto  :))

Offline ensulyn

• I make sawdust
« Reply #2725 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 23:22:02 »
I must say. The colorways are so spot on, this makes me want to buy every single keyset to have a matching keybuto. I have yet to win one of your raffles, fingers are definitely crossed this time for the blue and black and white one!

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #2726 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 04:26:03 »
The question that everyone has overlooked here is how on earth one man has that many epic keysets?

Is it really safe to allow one person that much power over the world?
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 May 2017, 04:31:14 by GreyAmbience »

Offline lakomail

« Reply #2727 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 04:26:55 »
The question that everyone has overlooked is how on earth one man has that many epic keysets?

Is it really safe to allow one person that much power over the world?

$

Offline Gatix

• #!/bin/sh
  • console.log
« Reply #2728 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 08:41:59 »
Show Image

Some Topre love.

OH MYYYYY

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps

Electron Keybuto II on SP Pulse

"ARMOR UP" KEYBUTO II SALE INFORMATION:

* 40+ Different Colorways Available.  Many colorways are matched to popular keysets.  Here is the Sale Menu Album.

* Hybrid Stems:  All Keybuto II's use the Suited Up Keycaps TMX Base v1.0 - Compatible with Cherry MX and Topre Keyboards.

* Sale Period:  Raffle Sale Order Form will be available starting May 5th, 2017 and will remain open for about 48 hours.  The entry period has been extended in view of the relatively short notice of the sale opening time.  (I will also be lenient with delayed invoice payments if requested.)

* Hybrid Sale Format: You can enter to win your preferred Keybuto II in the Direct Sale, enter to win a random Keybuto II in the Blind Box Sale, or enter for both.

* Prices: Each Keybuto II will be $45-65 in the Direct Sale, $55 each via Blind Box.  Prices have been determined based on the complexity of each colorway and color-matching, development and implementation of the TMX base, and relatively low yield per colorway type.

* Sale limits will be arbitrarily determined after the order form closes.  You will have the ability to request up to 6 keycaps and will be invoiced some number up to your maximum. Final limits will be based on the number of entries, the planets' alignment, and my mood at the time. 

* Shipping will happen within 3 weeks of the conclusion of the entry period, most likely sooner than 3 weeks.

* FREE STUFF:  Two free Keybuto II's will be given away to those who post a timestamped photo in this thread of their best origami (thanks for the idea, Meitachi) before the end of the sale entry period.  One winner will be chosen randomly from all entries, and the other winner will be my favorite entry. 

Let me know if you guys have any questions.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 May 2017, 10:29:54 by Bambino »

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
Will there be "gold bag" colorways through blind box purchases?
There is no such thing as "too much orange."

Offline Robotical

So many choices its making my head spin...   :confused:

Love the color combinations, now to figure out which ones I really want.

Offline Jedi

Holy crap you've been busy.  Now to prepare for the sale.

Offline wishful_cynic

Looking good!  :thumb:

167568-0

Offline Detox

Hoping to win one , guess my first post will be here :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 May 2017, 11:50:21 by Detox »

Offline OneNightFriend

Origami? Why not Zoidberg?

« Last Edit: Wed, 03 May 2017, 11:36:25 by OneNightFriend »

Offline dangboy

• yes
holy crap. These colorways are sick af.
someone steal my wallet please

Offline laughatpain

Studying for a midterm in class but decided to take a break.
I call it the yellow snow snowball.
167579-0

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps

Do you mean freebie extras, or unannounced blind-box-only colorways?  The former is more likely than the latter in this sale.

Offline diiiP

Supposed to be a Bird.... Oh well :)

Offline TelFiRE

Dark Matter and Mainframe are my favs =]
KBD75 GMK Terminal          XD84 DSA Black on GSF + Hana Matcha + Serum

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
 :eek:

the colors duke... THE COLOURS

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
Wow, there are 6 that would be amazing on the build I have planned. Thanks for all the hard wotk Bambino! Good luck everyone!
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want

wow

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2744 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 14:53:32 »
Show Image

Some Topre love.

This would look so good on my board...

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
More

Do you mean freebie extras, or unannounced blind-box-only colorways?  The former is more likely than the latter in this sale.

Meant unannounced colorways. Good to know! Might as well enter for just the ones I like then. Cheers!

There is no such thing as "too much orange."

Offline forevermadrigal

Oooh I see a lot of coloways that will look good on my hhkb  ;D

Offline Eklipses

:thumb:
Home= Input Club K- type (Zealios 65g), Ducky One 2 Mini (MX Speed Silver), Realforce RGB(Silent)

Work= Ducky Realforce 104U 45g (Silent)

Offline TypicalOranges

So many nice artisans so little wallet...

Looking forward to going for my first SUK  :thumb:

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis