Author Topic: Keycap design ideas gathering.  (Read 5369 times)

Offline Adgar

• * Vendor
    • Pheilcia
Keycap design ideas gathering.
« on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 20:28:13 »
Hello,we are prepared to desiagn a keycap set.With PBT and dye-sub. Do you have any suggestions. Like the color , the profile, or the image.We want to make a keycap that belong to geekhack memerber , We can make our mold and advaced equipement, In here, you are the designer. Please put forward your ideas. We believe that with everyone's active envolvement. We will make the one we really like. If your idea is very good and be adopted at last, We will offer you a Big Discounts when we buy  them.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 November 2016, 20:08:41 by Adgar »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Keycap design ideas gathering.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 00:23:32 »
BUMP!  This is very exciting.  There are many ideas in the Interest Check Forum for keycap sets.  Hopefully the owners of those threads will post here as well.

I would personally like to see something in SA profile.  SA seems very popular lately.

Do you have something for us to reference for colors?
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 November 2016, 00:27:57 by reececonrad »

Offline Pennyz

• Vegeta
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 02:00:33 »
The gray series is too simple, you can try some new color such as GMK.
I ♥ Night Caps.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps

Offline Adgar

• * Vendor
    • Pheilcia
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 02:36:27 »
The gray series is too simple, you can try some new color such as GMK.

BUMP!  This is very exciting.  There are many ideas in the Interest Check Forum for keycap sets.  Hopefully the owners of those threads will post here as well.

I would personally like to see something in SA profile.  SA seems very popular lately.

Do you have something for us to reference for colors?

Thanks for your suggestions.Recently, many of my geekhack friends said there prefer Cherry  height than OEM. So,we now begin to produce some Cherry height keycap and   prepare make our aluminium plate.We also wanna make some SA keycap but it a little tough at beginning. You know, we have to make out the mold first. Anyway, We will make it. Because, you like them ;D ;D ;D.About color,GMK keycap is good, We will learn from and make out the unique keycap at fianl.

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 03:57:23 »
FeelsBadMan Pepe keycap please.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 November 2016, 04:30:04 by ygor »
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 15:41:37 »
The space bar should be flat. The number pad "0" keycap should have the same profile as the space bar.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 16:21:02 »
Hello,we are prepared to desiagn a keycap set.With PBT and dye-sub. Do you have any suggestions. Like the color , the profile, or the image.We want to make a keycap that belong to geekhack memerber , We can make our mold and advaced equipement, In here, you are the designer. Please put forward your ideas. We believe that with everyone's active envolvement. We will make the one we really like.

If PBT and dye-sub,
Then Alps switch capability option, and also perhaps DSA profile
Everyone will love you.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Adgar

• * Vendor
    • Pheilcia
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 20:01:11 »
Hello,we are prepared to desiagn a keycap set.With PBT and dye-sub. Do you have any suggestions. Like the color , the profile, or the image.We want to make a keycap that belong to geekhack memerber , We can make our mold and advaced equipement, In here, you are the designer. Please put forward your ideas. We believe that with everyone's active envolvement. We will make the one we really like.

If PBT and dye-sub,
Everyone will love you.

Thanks for your ideas.There are many guy said that before. They think PBT&DYe-sub match with ALPS, SA,DSA Profile gonna be wonderful.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 November 2016, 20:04:30 by Adgar »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 20:16:15 »

If PBT and dye-sub,
Everyone will love you.

Thanks for your ideas.There are many guy said that before. They think PBT&DYe-sub match with ALPS, SA,DSA Profile gonna be wonderful.

If you can make a quality PBT caps with Alps mount compatibility, you would make many people very, very happy.  There are few options for such a product on the market at this time.  Granted, the demand is going to be much lower from the start because only a small percentage of people own such keyboards, but believe me... they're looking for caps.

Offline lolkey

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 07:31:43 »
Edit: NM, this is for a single cap, I think.
filco ninja mj2 tkl · mx brown · black case · blank black pbt
varmilo va87mr tkl · gateron red · black case · dye sub pbt ❤
vortex pok3r rgb · mx silent · white case · blank xda pbt

Offline Adgar

• * Vendor
    • Pheilcia
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 November 2016, 01:54:04 »
Edit: NM, this is for a single cap, I think.
single or 104 , 108 . They are all okay. Just post your ideas.

Offline hurst

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 09 November 2016, 12:29:46 »
Need a Trump Keyset with "MAGA" backspace.

Offline Adgar

• * Vendor
    • Pheilcia
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 00:16:48 »

If PBT and dye-sub,
Everyone will love you.
These days, The DSA and SA is very popular among geekhack and massdrop. I just a little curious that why so many people like DSA OR SA

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 04:53:53 »

If PBT and dye-sub,
Everyone will love you.
These days, The DSA and SA is very popular among geekhack and massdrop. I just a little curious that why so many people like DSA OR SA
They are spherical profiles and they just look nice.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 07:07:55 »
More

If PBT and dye-sub,
Everyone will love you.

First of all, most (90%) people among Geekhack / Deskthority / /r/Mechanicalkeyboard on Reddit do not give much shxt about 'OEM' profile key cap sets - they like mostly the lower-profile that are similar among Cherry (i.e. "原厂" in TaoBao), Signature Plastics DCS, GMK, and Gateron.

Many many people like the look, i.e. the aesthetics of spherical key cap families (DSA and SA of Signature Plastics), while quite some people would also agree that they like mainly the look of DSA and SA key caps but these key caps do not work as efficient for them while typing.

Example DSA caps:

For me, I propose a DSA for Alps switches because DSA profile look good and it is a uniform profile, i.e. that's no row difference in caps. This makes it much simpler to have a working key cap set for a keyboard as one just sway a key to whatever row one wants, i.e. a set will work for a Planck and a 60% and a TKL without having to find more keys for a specific row as long as the size of the key caps are correct.

Example SA:

SA profile have rows. They have nice aesthetics and long history - they were there since earlier than the IBM Selectric typewriter. I bet people with thick large strong fingers who love to type with a lot of force like bashing on a mechanical typewriter would like SA profile.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 07:17:02 »
More

If PBT and dye-sub,
Everyone will love you.

First of all, most (90%) people among Geekhack / Deskthority / /r/Mechanicalkeyboard on Reddit do not give much shxt about 'OEM' profile key cap sets - they like mostly the lower-profile that are similar among Cherry (i.e. "原厂" in TaoBao), Signature Plastics DCS, GMK, and Gateron.

Many many people like the look, i.e. the aesthetics of spherical key cap families (DSA and SA of Signature Plastics), while quite some people would also agree that they like mainly the look of DSA and SA key caps but these key caps do not work as efficient for them while typing.

Example DSA caps:
Show Image

For me, I propose a DSA for Alps switches because DSA profile look good and it is a uniform profile, i.e. that's no row difference in caps. This makes it much simpler to have a working key cap set for a keyboard as one just sway a key to whatever row one wants, i.e. a set will work for a Planck and a 60% and a TKL without having to find more keys for a specific row as long as the size of the key caps are correct.

Example SA:
Show Image

SA profile have rows. They have nice aesthetics and long history - they were there since earlier than the IBM Selectric typewriter. I bet people with thick large strong fingers who love to type with a lot of force like bashing on a mechanical typewriter would like SA profile.
It actually requires less force to type on SA keycaps because they are heavier.

Offline Stan68

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 08:39:27 »
I had this little design in my head for a bit, wondering what you guys think of it and what could make it better.  The alphanumeric keys colour is GMK WS1, the font colour is 2B, the modifiers keys colour is T9, Red is V1, Blue is N5, Yellow is N6, Green is N7.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 November 2016, 05:04:15 by Stan68 »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 09:00:51 »
I agree that most people come to like spherical (SA or DSA) because they look nice.  I honestly wonder if it's just the fact that the legends are centered and larger.  Do cylindrical (OME/DCS and Cherry) just look weird if you use the same legend size/alignment?

I would also argue that the typing experience on cylindrical vs. spherical caps is all down to personal preference and typing habbits.  I have typed for long periods on both an have never experienced a marked difference in accuracy or WPM.  I do think that most cylindrical profile caps make it easier to type in certain positions that might be more comfortable for typists; specifically when they are resting their wrists on the desk.  I mostly hover above my keys, either with intentional posture or from the added support of chair arm rests.  So for me, the added height of SA and the non-sculptured nature of all R3 SA and DSA do not effect my typing.

Offline Adgar

• * Vendor
    • Pheilcia
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 20:33:19 »
Maybe you are right.The spherical profile looks comfortable and click more comfortable and a little unique and rare when comparing with ordinary keycap.But the spherical profile is much more difficult to make. By the way, If that match with PBT and Dye-Sub, especially talented design and color, It will be quite popular. :D :D
If PBT and dye-sub,
Everyone will love you.
They are spherical profiles and they just look nice.

Offline Adgar

• * Vendor
    • Pheilcia
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 24 November 2016, 21:14:52 »
To be honest, I think we can using printing technology to painting some famous painting in our lovely keycaps.Like my galaxy .Vincent van Gogh,and water color. ;D ;D

Offline LifeIsOnTheWire

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 08:12:55 »
Make replicas of the old ICL "One per desk" keyboard's keycaps.

I think they're flat-topped, but not entirely sure.

http://imgur.com/a/jvvWB

Offline JonnyPolygon

• Mechanical keyboard masterrace
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 08:36:51 »
To be honest, I think we can using printing technology to painting some famous painting in our lovely keycaps.Like my galaxy .Vincent van Gogh,and water color. ;D ;D

Holy, that's epic man. Seems like the possibilities are endless

Ducky Shine | i7 GTX 980ti | Top 9 best mechanical keyboards

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 17:18:31 »
Make replicas of the old ICL "One per desk" keyboard's keycaps.

I think they're flat-topped, but not entirely sure.

http://imgur.com/a/jvvWB

Looks like Retro SA/DSA/GMK.

In fact, Retro GMK is up right now.  https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gmk-retro-keycap-set