Author Topic: Profile removal and account deletion  (Read 20694 times)

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
Profile removal and account deletion
« on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:09:09 »
Please give more money to iMav to unlock this post
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:55:30 by clasicks »

Offline kawasaki161

Re: Profile removal and account deletion
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:25:00 »
While we're at it can we request all our data according to the new gdpr guidelines?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:25:56 »
While we're at it can we request all our data according to the new gdpr guidelines?

I'd like this too.

But let's be real lol

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:32:14 »
You absolutely can if you meet the wickets. Otherwise geekhack would be in a world of hurt for fines etc.

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:35:06 »
But let's be real lol

Conforming to the GDPR is not a choice one can have, as long as they have EU users. You either conform to it, or deny access to EU users. But as GDPR is in effect already, and GeekHack is still accessible to EU users, there really is no choice there.

(And yes, if it comes to that, I'll go and invoke the GDPR with every tool I have at my disposal. I hope I won't have to, though.)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:37:52 »
But let's be real lol

Conforming to the GDPR is not a choice one can have, as long as they have EU users. You either conform to it, or deny access to EU users. But as GDPR is in effect already, and GeekHack is still accessible to EU users, there really is no choice there.

(And yes, if it comes to that, I'll go and invoke the GDPR with every tool I have at my disposal. I hope I won't have to, though.)
Some people just want to watch the world burn.... :eek:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:44:23 »

Dw the forum will be gone and the domain will be used for a chinese site in a month anyways. Just interested in what of my data gets sold to them.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 09:44:04 »
But let's be real lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

As long as he waits until there is a new owner, or there is a hint of a deal going through, I don't think it's a bad thing.

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 09:52:45 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:42:41 by clasicks »

Offline shadowrealmwarez

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 09:55:58 »
i guess i could change all my post to "Please give more money to iMav to unlock this post"

I love this.

Offline dimo

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:40:20 »
All the hundreds of the active GB and IC threads

this is a mess

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:43:23 »
When deleting a user, please do ask if their posts should stay or be removed.
Old posts can have useful information in them.

Offline shadowrealmwarez

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:46:12 »

I think the objective is to simply nuke the whole account, posts and all would be wiped or replaced with gibberish. Similar to how the one for Reddit works https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/nuke-reddit-history/aclagjkmidmkcdhkhlicmgkgmpgccaod

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:25:05 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:42:47 by clasicks »

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:31:37 »
guess its time to start manually erasing.

Is there no other option based moderators? I know access is limited but is there really no option to delete my posts and account?

Aren't there backups if you manually erase it?

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:32:25 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:42:53 by clasicks »

Offline Findecanor

Re: Please give more money to iMav to unlock this post
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:53:43 »
I think the objective is to simply nuke the whole account, posts and all would be wiped or replaced with gibberish.
You're missing my point.

I think that the user who wants to have his account removed should be given the choice between "Delete all my posts" and "Do not delete posts".
There might be reasons for leaving without having it all deleted.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: Please give more money to iMav to unlock this post
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:54:26 »
i'd like to delete my account as well don't want any of my traces and information being used against me for advertisements or any other goal. PS delete all my data. I think i will start a new "Geekhack" with phpBB  :) .
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline JP

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 14:09:08 »
Brb...starts new gekhack
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 15:13:17 »
How long till GH starts offering lootboxes?

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 15:52:39 »

Offline Coreda

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 16:00:24 »
How long till GH starts offering lootboxes?

Good ol' grab bags

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 17:26:15 »
As a person that works with companies on GDPR compliance investigations (among other types of investigations), this place is an absolute nightmare.

You really have no choice but to nuke it. I am dead serious.

So much EU user data thrown across fulltext in posts, PMs, linked google docs (those links are also a no no); GDPR compliance is more than just removing a user account. it is not like there is a push button redaction tool for SMbb full text content; you have to scan SQL for named entities to bulk redact and hope that your regex is good enough. And also you have all the backups to deal with. Good Luck. Sure you can make arguments that it would never happen for a community website like this, GDPR doesn't matter, etc--fine, I hope that I am wrong.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 17:30:43 by Glod »

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 17:37:55 »
I think i am gonna remake Geekhack like the way it should be with updated icon's. Got the Domain Geekhack.EU ready and it will be hosted in the US Miami Beach.  If there is any interest i will put more time into it.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline heyitsqi

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 20:15:17 »
As a person that works with companies on GDPR compliance investigations (among other types of investigations), this place is an absolute nightmare.

You really have no choice but to nuke it. I am dead serious.

So much EU user data thrown across fulltext in posts, PMs, linked google docs (those links are also a no no); GDPR compliance is more than just removing a user account. it is not like there is a push button redaction tool for SMbb full text content; you have to scan SQL for named entities to bulk redact and hope that your regex is good enough. And also you have all the backups to deal with. Good Luck. Sure you can make arguments that it would never happen for a community website like this, GDPR doesn't matter, etc--fine, I hope that I am wrong.

I don't think you're wrong honestly. I also work with GDPR. It's a total PITA as I doubt many of the required necessities for it aren't there or even potentially possible with this forum software.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 20:21:18 »
https://theadminzone.com/threads/gdpr-helper-for-smf.147378/

https://www.smfhacks.com/gdprpro.php

SMF is very capable.  It's just not used to it's potential here.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 23:42:26 »
I just pruned my Personal Messages. Lots of memories there, but it had to go. Can't let that fall into the hands of some data mining firm.

That is provided that iMav does not give them any backup !! Then they would have it and I don't.

Offline heyitsqi

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 23:52:58 »

Do note that the creator of said plugin does not guarantee GDPR compliance. Granted it’s probably enough for this forum.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 23:54:52 »

Do note that the creator of said plugin does not guarantee GDPR compliance. Granted it’s probably enough for this forum.

Do note also that one would expect them to say that to clear them of any responsibility.  You'd have to use your own judgement to make that determination.

Offline heyitsqi

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 23:57:23 »

Do note also that one would expect them to say that to clear them of any responsibility.  You'd have to use your own judgement to make that determination.

Of course. I just don’t want anyone to be like oh this is all we need to be GDPR compliant! There’s a lot more to GDPR than just what the plugin does :) hence why quite a number of places will just ban EU users (such as LA times) while they become fully compliant.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 06:23:11 »
Interested in nuking my account too.

Offline manitoid

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 20:01:46 »
You all realize this is pointless now right?
Massdrop already owns all your information and even f you "nuke" your account, all this info is still in the backups that Massdrop already owns, plus you gave away all rights to the content of your posts when you signed up.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 20:16:50 »
Massdrop already owns all your information and even f you "nuke" your account, all this info is still in the backups that Massdrop already owns, plus you gave away all rights to the content of your posts when you signed up.

Nothing a good lawyer can't fix. Massdrop has deep enough pockets that it might actually be worth pursuing legal action due to Geekhack's non-compliance with EU law.

Offline manitoid

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 20:42:39 »

Nothing a good lawyer can't fix. Massdrop has deep enough pockets that it might actually be worth pursuing legal action due to Geekhack's non-compliance with EU law.

The first step would be to file a SAR to figure out exactly what data they are collecting rather than overreacting before you know anything at all.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 20:45:59 »
The first step would be to file a SAR to figure out exactly what data they are collecting rather than overreacting before you know anything at all.

Are you trying to imply that you don't wanna go flushing your money by legally contesting Massdrop on something that could be dismissed instantly and/or that you have no chance of winning in the long run just because you're upset? Shocking.

Offline manitoid

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 21:48:27 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 22:05:13 by manitoid »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 04:39:28 »

You really need to read up on GDPR. They don’t really have an option.

https://gdpr-info.eu/art-17-gdpr/

Offline AndyTC

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 04:48:47 »
Yeah they have no choice
They either comply or block EU citizens and delete all their data

All our data has now been sold which is a huge NO, massdrop/iMav could actually be fined for a huge amount

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 05:09:38 »
Yeah they have no choice

All our data has now been sold which is a huge NO, massdrop/iMav could actually be fined for a huge amount

Out of curiosity, could you explain how theoretically the fine would be collected if the aforementioned people/organisations were actually punished. How does this work internationally?

Actually just curious. I just can't conceptualize how, what I assume is an EU regulation would be enforceable internationally upon a person not in a member state and without cooperation from the host nation (I am just assuming US would not bother enforcing this).

Offline AndyTC

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 05:45:55 »
Yeah they have no choice

Out of curiosity, could you explain how theoretically the fine would be collected if the aforementioned people/organisations were actually punished. How does this work internationally?

Actually just curious. I just can't conceptualize how, what I assume is an EU regulation would be enforceable internationally upon a person not in a member state and without cooperation from the host nation (I am just assuming US would not bother enforcing this).

For companies that have a physical presence in the EU, the GDPR can be enforced directly against them. This doesnt really need much explaining, is standard EU law

For Companies that don't have a physical presence it gets a little bit more complicated. Some companys will have designated representatives located in the EU and they will act on behalf of the company.

If they dont have a representive; EU member state authoritieswill act within accordance to international law.
The US government is fully on board with enforcing it and have stated it on many occasions, its also worth noting the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield has been inplace for many years and has been strengthened due to GDPR

« Last Edit: Thu, 05 July 2018, 05:47:40 by AndyTC »

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 05:56:35 »
Yeah they have no choice

For companies that have a physical presence in the EU, the GDPR can be enforced directly against them. This doesnt really need much explaining, is standard EU law

For Companies that don't have a physical presence it gets a little bit more complicated. Some companys will have designated representatives located in the EU and they will act on behalf of the company.

If they dont have a representive; EU member state authoritieswill act within accordance to international law.
The US government is fully on board with enforcing it and have stated it on many occasions, its also worth noting the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield has been inplace for many years and has been strengthened due to GDPR

Ah sweet I get it, mutual agreements in place to compliment it. 

Has anyone actually been fined for breech of this whilst not having a presence in EU?

Offline AndyTC

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 06:18:47 »

Has anyone actually been fined for breech of this whilst not having a presence in EU?

Too my knowledge, no
It is possible it hss happened but was a deemed not newsworthy

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 06:24:33 »

Too my knowledge, no
It is possible it hss happened but was a deemed not newsworthy

sweet

Thanks for the responses.

Offline Data

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 07:14:19 »
You guys are ridiculous.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 07:21:27 »
Note: I run (and have run) multiple SMF, PHPbb and Vbulletin (and a few other) forums for many years.

I can answer this very easily.
The forum itself only collects what info you put in and the IP addresses you use to access the site, looking at someone's profile (or your own), you can see everything collected other than their IP address (which the mods and admins can see), and the password (which is encrypted). Yes, they could use a plugin or custom code to get more, but that can dramatically increase hosting costs due to overhead, pose a security risk, and just generally create more work administering the site.

Why do that when you can just add a line and use Google Analytics, which many, many sites use for the above reasons. GH does use Google analytics, however site owners only get to see a fraction of the info Google collects. None of of it is stored on GH's server and it is anonymized before the site owner can see it. So while a site owner may be able to tell someone was looking at freaky porn before coming to the site they can't tell who it was. At any rate, if you want that info, you need to talk to Google because it's not collected or stored by GH.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 08:56:39 »
You guys are ridiculous.

I think it's hilarious if anything at this point, GDPR wikipedia armchair experts extraordinaire and people trying to legally combat a company whose latest valuation was $50m by filing a complaint or deliriously hiring a lawyer; funnier even is the fact that GDPR is a European thing and thankfully we don't usually have this "sue everybody" mentality, maybe it's trendy and catching on.

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 09:00:53 »
removed
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 July 2018, 18:00:17 by clasicks »

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 09:52:54 »
I have been notified that account deletion is most likely not possible - /shrug

Time to move on for me, lets not criticize people for staying or leaving.

It is possible, it just makes old posts wonky.  Look at all the old ripster posts for example.  Best you can easily get away with is editing all your posts to '.' and randomizing your credentials and dropping the ✌️

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 09:59:46 »
It is possible, it just makes old posts wonky.  Look at all the old ripster posts for example.  Best you can easily get away with is editing all your posts to '.' and randomizing your credentials and dropping the ✌️
Right, and that should be a matter of only a couple of lines of relatively simple SQL code. That's what we're (presumably) asking for.

Now, GDPR compliance wrt backups might be trickier, but I won't pretend to be an expert on that.