geekhack Community > Input Devices

Elcom users - Do Elcom products last over the long haul? (and M-XT4DR Question)

<< < (3/3)

Stupidface:

--- Quote from: atarione on Tue, 09 August 2022, 22:02:57 ---I wish there were more lefty options out there but there isn't much.

--- End quote ---

Indeed.  I cannot say I have kept up, but I looked around a while back and, as far as I know, the Elecom M-XT4DR left-handed trackball is the only thumb-driven trackball made today specifically designed for left-handed users.

Having said that, have you looked at any of the larger, old school ambidextrous trackballs that can be used with the fingers/palm of either hand?  I am wondering if a larger, heavier trackball might help you as far as involuntary hand movements go. 

(Of course, the old school trackballs do not tend to lend themselves well to precise movements, so you would be the best judge of whether or not this would be a good idea.)

--- Quote from: atarione on Tue, 09 August 2022, 22:02:57 ---I wish the larger models where available in Lefthanded versions however. 

--- End quote ---

Me, too.  However, considering how many years manufacturers have had to come up with new left-handed trackball offerings, the probability of another manufacturer getting into the game at this point is not likely to be high.

So, I am going to throw out an idea.

(NB: This idea is probably far more trouble than it is worth and I am saying so up front.  I only mention it because, a) you never know who is lurking on GH and, b) for all I know, someone reading this could have both the skills and the will to do it. 

If that someone is you, and you are looking specifically for a thumb-driven trackball designed for larger hands, it may be worth a go.  Read on and decide for yourself.)

Last century, Logitech made a thumb-driven trackball called the Logitech Trackman:

As you can see, it was designed for right hands, but it was also designed for large right hands.  I know this because my own hands are in the large-ish range and, being ambidextrous, I used one of these for years.

(This next bit is where the "far more trouble than it is worth" aspect comes in.)

Someone well-versed in CAD software and small-scale manufacturing might be able to pick up one of these, reverse the right-handed design, and make one (or have one made) for left hands. 

Obviously, this is not something that could be done in an afternoon (to say the least), but considering what the offerings are in the way of left-handed trackballs, whoever does this might be able to sell a few (and, of course, they could always check the interest level for it on GH before they embark on the project).

The patent for this particular design ran out a few years ago (the first model of these came out in 1995), so anyone doing this may also be able to update the design a bit while they are at it.

(Now you see why I said it was probably more trouble that it was worth, don't you?)

atarione:
oh dear...   I honestly would have bought this right now.. except the lefthanded version seems to be out of stock currently... which is making me grumpy =\   =p oh well emailed them to inquire when more lefthanded models might be available just now?   

of course they only have photos of the right handed version.. meh...     not sure about the 3d printed shell... but I suppose you could sand /paint it??  however my attempt at painting my Sensei MLG mouse was not super successful (looked great ... then wore really quickly.) if I did it again I guess I would use 2k clear coat?

Stupidface:

--- Quote from: atarione on Wed, 10 August 2022, 18:35:16 ---oh dear...   I honestly would have bought this right now.. except the lefthanded version seems to be out of stock currently... which is making me grumpy =\   =p oh well emailed them to inquire when more lefthanded models might be available just now?   

--- End quote ---

Here is the URL for the trackball you are mention in case anyone else is interested:

https://ploopy.co/classic-trackball/

Apparently, the site sells products in Canadian dollars.  At the current rate of exchange, the one you have your eye on is US$164 and up fully assembled, depending on which options the purchaser chooses, though they do have kits available for less money.

If you pick one up, can you please post back and tell us whether it turns out to be worth the money?  Perhaps I am missing something, but they seem somewhat cagey about how long they will warranty their products for:

--- Quote ---8. WARRANTY

8.1. The Company’s Product warranty is as set forth in The Company’s Product Agreement, which is included as a clickwrap agreement with the Product, and is also available from The Company upon request. The warranty set forth in the Product Agreement is the exclusive warranty made by The Company to you. The Company disclaims all other representations, warranties and conditions, whether express or implied, including but not limited to any express or implied representations, warranties or conditions of merchantability, merchantable quality, fitness for a particular purpose, durability, title, non-infringement, or any other warranty or condition arising by statute, custom or usage of trade related to the products provided hereunder. Some jurisdictions may not allow the exclusion or limitation of implied warranties and conditions. To the extent permitted by law, any implied warranties or conditions relating to the Product to the extent that they cannot be excluded as set out above are limited to one (1) year from the date that the Product is delivered to you.
--- End quote ---

I am baffled as to why they do not see fit to list the warranty period up front along with the rest of the product information, but force the reader to dig for it instead.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version