Author Topic: costar stabilizers question  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Special K

costar stabilizers question
« on: Tue, 07 June 2022, 10:14:37 »
I recently took apart a 104-key Filco keyboard for cleaning and keycap changing and just now noticed that one of the costar stabilizers is shorter than all of the others. Is this intentional and if so which key is supposed to use the shorter stabilizer?
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline Maledicted

Re: costar stabilizers question
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 June 2022, 11:32:46 »
I don't own any Filco boards, but I never noticed any shorter ones on my other boards with Costar stabilizers, including my bargain bin Filco (Rosewill). They should all be 2u. That's all that comes in most stabilizer sets besides longer ones for the space bar.

Maybe take off all of the stabilized keys and see if there's any difference in spacing of the inserts?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 June 2022, 13:38:54 »
A picture comparing the wire stab, keycap's stems, and stab's mounts would help give you some opinion.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 00:10:22 »
If you're talking about the stabilizer inserts, the shorter one typically goes on the upper post of the Enter keycap on the numpad.  On some keycap sets, the Enter keycap is pretty tapered, and you need a shorter stabilizer insert to fit in the upper post.  It's not as noticeable or needed with OEM profile keycaps, but sometimes is with Cherry profile keycaps.