Author Topic: [IC] KBM Hundred Acres | GB is Live!  (Read 38560 times)

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
[IC] KBM Hundred Acres | GB is Live!
« on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 16:13:31 »
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 January 2023, 10:42:22 by Beesley »

Offline Fraaaan

Re: [IC] KBM Hundred Acres
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 16:18:19 »
Reserved.

ISO novelty is cool. Add r2 Page Up.

Offline cthalupa

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 16:25:37 »
Reserved.

ISO novelty is cool. Add r2 Page Up.

Accidental deletion from the kit render for the r2 Page Up - we'll have the render updated shortly! Thanks for pointing this out.

Offline mvkb

• Designer
    • MVKB
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 16:31:17 »
Absolute fire, what a set!

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 16:31:43 »
I’d say this is one set where you really need to include full UK ISO rather than just terminal.

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 16:35:42 »
I’d say this is one set where you really need to include full UK ISO rather than just terminal.

Can you elaborate as I'm sure it has UK ISO

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 16:36:19 »
Also, be exceedingly careful with your color choices in the novelties. While Winnie the Pooh is indeed public domain, many commonly-associated elements of characters’ design comes from the very litigious Disney.

Things like the color of Pooh’s shirt should be something you double-check with the text of the book.  If it’s never mentioned as red, you might be inviting a lawsuit (whether justified or not).

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 16:37:14 »

Can you elaborate as I'm sure it has UK ISO

My apologies; you’re correct. However, you should remove the <> key, as that’s the source of the confusion.

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 16:37:56 »
Also, be exceedingly careful with your color choices in the novelties. While Winnie the Pooh is indeed public domain, many commonly-associated elements of characters’ design comes from the very litigious Disney.

Things like the color of Pooh’s shirt should be something you double-check with the text of the book.  If it’s never mentioned as red, you might be inviting a lawsuit (whether justified or not).

Thanks! we are aware that it is not mentioned, and we are treading a line with this. But Disney have the rights to a red polo shirt, where as there are drawings in the original book that depict as a button down. It's a fine line and if we get approached about it, adjustments will be made.

Offline Laur

• Formerly dudeship
  • gmk retro runic
    • wip
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 16:43:56 »
more beige, how innovative.

Offline cthalupa

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 17:11:05 »
more beige, how innovative.

Hi friend!

We looked at doing a variety of color combinations, character-based mod/novelty color sets, etc., and ultimately decided that we should take a page out of the original book, and keep things relatively understated. We opted for the cream/beige color to get close to that of the printed paper, and have the novelties for adding the splashes of color if people so desire.

Offline kapowaz

• kapowaz industries
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 17:21:40 »
So cute. Lots of luck with the IC!

Offline irithyll

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 18:45:15 »
I like this a lot. GLWIC!

Offline FistfulOfPaintballs

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 19:51:00 »
I love this a lot

My only feedback is to add some alternative Win/Sys/OS/Code key(s) that says something other than "Hunny" so the set can better stand on its own without novelties
I've never been a huge fan of text-based novelties, personally

Offline WaynaPawiasek

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 01 October 2022, 05:38:04 »
International Kit please! Love this!

Offline Leszy

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 01 October 2022, 08:49:09 »
This is unreal. Absolutely gorgeous. Im not that big of a fan of Pooh, but this set with this novelties is just honey on fire.

Offline surplusofchairs

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 01 October 2022, 09:41:44 »
i agree with above, text novelty mods with references to the media or Something in base to make it different. one big kit with novelties in base? can’t imagine people are buying without novs

Offline ogp3

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 01 October 2022, 10:05:18 »
Very cute, will be hard to resist.

Offline Jyll

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 01 October 2022, 10:20:12 »
This absolutely slaps.

Would love to see a R3 Home key for those of us who prefer Home/End to PgUp/PgDn in the setup you have rendered. I know it's not super common but it's included in a SA set or two I have and it's a huge QOL upgrade for the database field editing I do at work.

GLWIC!

Offline EikoMagami

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 01 October 2022, 10:54:06 »

Thanks! we are aware that it is not mentioned, and we are treading a line with this. But Disney have the rights to a red polo shirt, where as there are drawings in the original book that depict as a button down. It's a fine line and if we get approached about it, adjustments will be made.

the red top here looks close to the one in the original artwork for pooh builds a house with a single button on the front. Hopefully its safe from lawyers.

im saddened by the lack of a tigger novelty but the set looks pretty good.

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 01 October 2022, 11:13:41 »

the red top here looks close to the one in the original artwork for pooh builds a house with a single button on the front. Hopefully its safe from lawyers.

im saddened by the lack of a tigger novelty but the set looks pretty good.

Yes the illustrations from the novelties are straight from the book so we should be okay.

We are also sad about no Tigger, but he was not introduced until the 2nd book which is not currently public domain until 2024! Keep your eyes open for an additional novelty kit in the following years.

Offline Prestley

• Twitch
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 01 October 2022, 21:14:32 »
I’d switch to ISO just for that novelty, what the heck! Totally following this.

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 02 October 2022, 04:06:58 »
I’d switch to ISO just for that novelty, what the heck! Totally following this.

Love to hear that!

Offline acerb

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 02 October 2022, 04:18:28 »
I agree with the suggestion doing a big kit including novelties, or at least some of them (like the two Enter keys (ISO & ANSI).
I don't see anybody not buying the novelties because otherwise it's just a set with a weird font. But I don't see much people putting all the novelties neither. So I'd put at least some (or all) in the base kit, or some in the base kit and some in an extra pack for the ppl that want them all!. Cheers and GLWIC

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 02 October 2022, 05:22:05 »
I agree with the suggestion doing a big kit including novelties, or at least some of them (like the two Enter keys (ISO & ANSI).
I don't see anybody not buying the novelties because otherwise it's just a set with a weird font. But I don't see much people putting all the novelties neither. So I'd put at least some (or all) in the base kit, or some in the base kit and some in an extra pack for the ppl that want them all!. Cheers and GLWIC

This has been a running theme in the IC and we have decided to rework the basekit to include a couple of the important novelties to strengthen the basekit

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 02 October 2022, 13:22:57 »
Update From IC Form:

- Added Esc, Ansi and ISO enter novelties in to the basekit to strengthen the set and tie it all together better.
-- Some people have asked why not include all the novelties into the basekit, is it because i'm trying to make more money by selling 2 kits? The answer is no. Adding all the novelties too the basekit will just increase the cost of the basekit overall. Keeping it this way means people have the option if they want to purchase the extra novelties or not, actually saving you money. The cost of the basekit + novelties will be the same as 1 large basekit including novelties, that's just how it works, the manufacturing cost does not disappear.

-More deskmats are to follow with the characters in the designs, don't worry they will come and are currently being designed

-If there is enough interest in international kits, they will be made. But it's needs to be a substantial amount of interest due to the time it will take to make one with the custom legends.

-"Add blah blah vendor" - this just simply isn't possible due to licensing please check above.

-"Add Tigger novelty and deskmat" - again licensing means this is not doable, Tigger does not enter the public domain until 2024

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
Re: [IC] KBM Hundred Acres | Update from IC responses
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 02 October 2022, 14:19:27 »
I’d still remove the <> key. It has nothing to go with (normally pairs with R3 1u backslash, but neither are needed when UK-ISO is in base).

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 02 October 2022, 14:37:48 »
I’d still remove the <> key. It has nothing to go with (normally pairs with R3 1u backslash, but neither are needed when UK-ISO is in base).

Thats a mistake I thought I did remove it will update shortly.

Offline keebnewb

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 02 October 2022, 15:04:49 »
Oooo! I love Winnie the Pooh! The watercolor effect on the novelties is really pretty. Is the intention to have some samples made before group buy? I'm curious how the watercolor will look on plastic. GLWIC :)

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 02 October 2022, 15:08:58 »
Oooo! I love Winnie the Pooh! The watercolor effect on the novelties is really pretty. Is the intention to have some samples made before group buy? I'm curious how the watercolor will look on plastic. GLWIC :)

We are planning to show samples before GB. Glad you like it!

Offline acerb

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 02 October 2022, 15:39:39 »
Happy with the update. Thanks and GLWIC

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 02 October 2022, 16:04:41 »
novs for this are really nice, good work
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline VAULTGHOST

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 03 October 2022, 09:09:10 »
I'm a Winne-the-Pooh fan in as much as a Dad has to be  ;D but this set is downright cozy and charming. As such, it's an insta-buy for me. Cheers.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 October 2022, 09:12:14 by VAULTGHOST »

Offline for1nner

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 03 October 2022, 17:12:54 »
Long time lurker.

First time I-need-this-now-please-god-give-it-to-me.

Pure delight looking at all of this.

Offline ArkOberon

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 03 October 2022, 21:22:30 »
I grew up watching everything Winnie The Pooh as a kid and even had one of the VTech Games. Once this set is up for GB I'm picking a set up for sure.

Offline nordhelle

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 04 October 2022, 03:31:38 »
I love this! This is an insta-buy for me, without a doubt!

Offline codecoffeecode

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 06 October 2022, 00:32:43 »
This is absolutely adorable! Good luck with the IC!

Offline DirtyGingy

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 06 October 2022, 01:12:20 »
Lose the red shirt on all the noveltiies. That is the defining part of the disney version and that would be a legal nightmare if they notice. Very cute set otherwise and I hope it runs well

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 06 October 2022, 04:05:42 »
Lose the red shirt on all the noveltiies. That is the defining part of the disney version and that would be a legal nightmare if they notice. Very cute set otherwise and I hope it runs well

This is something we currently have under review
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 October 2022, 09:14:43 by Beesley »

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
Re: [IC] KBM Hundred Acres | International Kit Added
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 06 October 2022, 13:56:47 »
Update

International kit has been added. We are not experts in this kitting so if there are any mistakes let us know and we shall fix them ASAP!

Offline white_rabbit

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 06 October 2022, 14:05:44 »
Any chance of a full 40s kit as well as a spacebar kit?

Offline WaynaPawiasek

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 06 October 2022, 14:06:23 »
Could you add a R1 " # ' "  and  " < > | " to allow for German 1u top row? I know it's unconventional but would be great! (See kat nalolenic Metternich kitting for reference)

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 07 October 2022, 03:35:10 »
Any chance of a full 40s kit as well as a spacebar kit?

If enough people ask for a full 40's kit, it will be considered just like the International kitting. However the current amount of requests for 40s I can count on 1 hand

Offline mariajose1197

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 07 October 2022, 11:43:32 »
I LOVE IT!!! NEED IT!!! RESERVED!!!

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 07 October 2022, 18:20:15 »
Update

International kit has been added. We are not experts in this kitting so if there are any mistakes let us know and we shall fix them ASAP!

If you find me on Discord I’ll be happy to work with you in detail.

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
Re: [IC] KBM Hundred Acres | New Deskmat!
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 09 October 2022, 10:37:16 »
Update:

New deskmat added
Fixed Mistakes in International kitting

Offline whohackedme

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 09 October 2022, 12:15:02 »
OH MY GOD this new deskmat is EVERYTHING!!! I hope that comes out just like it, I'm going all in now!

Any hopes of a keyboard collab with Hundred Acres theme? Maybe Ikki68? :D

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 09 October 2022, 12:59:18 »
OH MY GOD this new deskmat is EVERYTHING!!! I hope that comes out just like it, I'm going all in now!

Any hopes of a keyboard collab with Hundred Acres theme? Maybe Ikki68? :D

Not Ikki68 but there is an unannounced board that there will be a collab too... 

Offline cthalupa

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 09 October 2022, 13:45:37 »
Color Matching

Color matching is a subject we take quite seriously - we see the disappointment people have when the set they receive doesn't match the renders they fell in love with. You'll hear a lot of discussion around how every monitor is different, lighting effects how we perceive colors, emissive light from a monitor is different from reflected light from real life materials, and this is all true - but let's talk a bit about what we're doing to make sure we get this as close as we can.

To start with, colors were matched utilizing a monitor calibrated at 99.67% sRGB gamut coverage ΔE (delta E) average of .05 and ΔE max of 0.4 (Delta E is the difference between the measured color value vs. the reference value. Less than 1.0 is considered to be imperceptible to the human eye)

These were matched to physical samples under a D65 calibrated high CRI 95 (Ra) and R9 > 80 color matching light. (CRI is the Color Rendering Index, and measures how good a light is at rendering color correctly. R9 is specifically the Red index, and is significantly tougher to achieve - very few lights list this rating, and anything above 50 would be considered good, and the 80+ range is getting into Excellent.

However, these ultimately are still an imperfect attempt to get digital to match the physical. We can't solve this, but we can provide you additional examples - to that end we have taken white-balanced photos in a light booth with high CRI 6500K lights, with both lens and camera body color correction calibrations performed. These are pictured below. Please note, even with these corrections in place, what you see on your monitor is unlikely to be a perfect match to what you would see if you had a RAL K7 or K1 book in hand.

When we receive color samples from the manufacturer, they will be measured using a spectrophotometer with 0.05 ∆E00 measurement-to-measurement repeatability against the RAL colors we have chosen to ensure they are close matches.

For the watercolor novelties, we will not be able to repeat this full process. However, this same attention to detail that leads us to believe all of this is necessary is going to be laser-focused on making sure they meet our and your expectations.

Cliff Notes: There are a lot of things that make color matching renders to what will ultimately end up in your hands impossible to achieve perfectly. We've done everything we can so far by using calibrated equipment and attempting to match to physical samples, and have the photos above as another attempt to try to accurately represent the colors as best we can, and will be putting a high bar on our color samples matching the physical color standards we are using, and will be checking using a spectrophotometer to do so. If you want the best representation of what the colors will be, if you have a RAL K7 or K1 book, you can use it to see the same standards we are matching to.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 October 2022, 14:04:23 by cthalupa »

Offline vhaarr

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 11 October 2022, 16:05:32 »
So there's no doubt - I am getting this kit if the production samples look anything like the renders (now that there is an international kit!). That said, I have a few comments/questions;

(and yes, I am aware I am questioning the render now, and not a final product)

1. The R1 1u |+\ key pipe looks a bit weird, and definitely doesn't look the same as the R2 pipe
2. Same with the R4 1u |+\
3. The R3 1u @+' key ' looks too fat compared to the R3 1u "+' key, also the @ looks _sliiiiightly_ bigger than the @ in the "standard" R1 1u @+2 key
4. The croc symbols on R4 croc+dot/comma keys look a bit "fat"
5. The R1 _+- and ++= legends look misplaced, they're too close to center, especially the =
6. The R1 1u "Equals" legend for the numpad key looks misaligned compared to the rest
7. The arrow keys look completely wrong in every way I can think of; positioning, size, the gap between arrow and "spear", and boldness - all of it looks weird
8. R1 _and_ R2 1u "Delete" key legend looks misaligned (too far left)
9. R1 Esc+F1-12 keys are not aligned with Print/Scroll/Pause/F13 - they should at _least_ align with F13, horizontally
10. R1 (+9 and )+0 legends for the () are too large or too close to the top
11. R4 Alt+Ctrl 1u key legends are not spaced consistently from the left edge

And now for the international kit;
12. R4 1u crocs are sliiiightly too fat
13. R4 _+- key legend _ is perhaps slightly too thin?
14. Ø + Å also look sliiiiightly too fat, I mean it's barely perceptable

I love it!
Let the Holy Handgrenades rain.
Hammering on an old Happy Hacking Pro 2. Still going strong!