geekhack Community > Keyboards

Interesting Model M behavior

(1/2) > >>

tad:
Now that I'm getting used my Model M mini, I've discovered something quite interesting: jamming the left Shift key down really hard inserts a ">" character. Does this mean every Model M membrane is really an ISO membrane, and the US layout just arranges the keycaps differently? If so, this opens up an opportunity to make an "ISO" space saver using a couple replacement keycaps, an extra buckling spring, an extra spring column, and some blood and sweat.

Anyone else notice this behavior (Full-sized M or not)?

bhtooefr:
I can't trigger it with mashing left shift, BUT... CONFIRMED, directly manipulating the membrane with a pen cartridge stuck in the empty hole. \\\\\Hmm. That also means there's a key hiding under...

\\\\\ Enter.

There is none hiding under right Shift, backspace, numpad +, numpad Enter, or numpad 0.

Edit: This also means that a Belkin F5U119vE1 USB adapter should be suitable for adapting ISO layout PS/2 boards to USB.

tad:
So the contact is directly under the stabilizer? Then an extra switch column isn't needed, just the keycaps and the spring/switch. And a "Sandy teardown", I guess.

FunkTrooper:
this begs the question: why would anyone want an ISO layout. they are the bane of my life, what with laptops with the lovely US layout being impossible to find over here.

but yes, you are right, i have noticed with my Unicomp Customizer that there are extra keys “blocked off” under the enter key and left shift.  presumably they would work... not that i would ever want them to though!

Chloe:
I prefer ISO layout.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version