Author Topic: 2x3x4 LED and SIP socket Group Buy - Round 1 Cyan | Pink | Sky Blue  (Read 112516 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: 2x3x4 LED and SIP socket Group Buy - Round 1 Cyan | Pink | Sky Blue
« Reply #550 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 17:29:57 »

Thank you again, you are very kind, which option is better for PCB mounted switches?

I don't have pictures of your setup, nor enough experience to give an exact advice. However, thinking about it and creating some scenarios in my head I came to the conclusion that you should be good with either. It doesn't really matter. The tail is long enough for you to solder the SIPs, but aren't extremely long to the point they could potentially pierce through the bottom of your switches. I don't know what case are you using, nor how your setup is but I believe you should be good with both options. I'd get the longer ones (standard ones used on the buy, aka Long Tail), as you could trim the legs a little bit if they become an issue when installing.

Perhaps some more experienced users could give some more precise inputs? It would be much apreciated.

The board I want to install them on is this one, if the sip legs can be cutted I would get the long ones, I think.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #551 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 17:42:54 »

The board I want to install them on is this one, if the sip legs can be cutted I would get the long ones, I think.

Show Image

Very nice board mate, that's gonna look incredible.

Just what I thought, I think both of them should work fine. I don't have a picture right now (because I'm on mobile) showing the differences between PCB x Plate mounted boards. But it's very clear for me that is the gap inside the switch that matters, since the SIPs go inside them and they (the switches) are soldered on the PCB anyway.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #552 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 17:45:05 »

Show Image

Very nice board mate, that's gonna look incredible.

Just what I thought, I think both of them should work fine. I don't have a picture right now (because I'm on mobile) showing the differences between PCB x Plate mounted boards. But it's very clear for me that is the gap inside the switch that matters, since the SIPs go inside them and they (the switches) are soldered on the PCB anyway.

Thank you Mito, you rock, I will try the longest ones, I'll back here to report the findings for anyone interested.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #553 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 17:52:19 »
Thank you Mito, you rock, I will try the longest ones, I'll back here to report the findings for anyone interested.

Shoot PMs with the progress!

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #554 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 04:52:41 »
I'll try this again at some point, as photographing LEDs is usually an exercise in frustration, but here's a rough idea of how these LEDs compare.  I'd mostly pay attention to the glow halos around the LED bulbs.

The first is "pink" vs. the standard "purple" (You can also buy UV Purple LEDs, those are even more blue toned):

Show Image

Show Image

And these are: "Sky Blue", my previously owned turquoise ("Ice blue"), and my previously owned "Cyan" (more like jade):

Sky Blue / Cyan / Ice Blue:
Show Image

Sky Blue / Ice Blue / Cyan:
Show Image

To put this in perspective, Ice Blue already looks very cyan-green when installed in large numbers on a keyboard.  So in that respect, Cyan looks a cold shade of VERY green, and I anticipate Sky Blue to look more green than what I currently have on my keyboards and call "turquoise".  I was hoping Sky Blue would be less green than my Ice Blue, but it seems to go the other way around.  Still a very nice color to experiment with.  The Pink LEDs will go great with purple anodized plates and cases, as the normal Purple LEDs are usually too cold toned to match.

Where did you get the more purple led? I bought some purple ones in 2014 from an ebay store but now they only sell the more pinkish led