Author Topic: [IC] - Twilight switches, a new JWK tactile (GB May 12th - May 22nd)  (Read 21214 times)

Offline Pylon

264874-0
    GB Thread Here

Twilight Switches

Group Buy May 12th-May 22nd. Estimated to ship around mid-July, followed by an in-stock sale around then.

• New, very tactile JWK switch combining their Clear-like tactile stem with their T1 leaf
    • 5-pin housing
    • POM Stem (purple), PC top and nylon bottom (smoky gray)
    • 67g spring
    • Unlubed
    • By Pylon and brainandforce

Twilights are not a JWK recolor. It was born out of a JWK frankenswitch combo that Pylon and brainandforce discovered independently while experimenting: combining the MX Clear-like stem from a Durock Medium Tactile switch with the tactile leaf of the Durock T1 housing. The result is a sharp, punchy, tactile switch, with just a bit of pretravel. Imagine a smoother, much more tactile Ergo Clear. A tactile switch as intense as an NK_ Blueberry that can hold its own at lighter spring weights.

264876-1

If you want a taste of what this switch feels like, you can use the stem off a Durock Medium Tactile, Mode Signal, Penguin, or RARA V2, and pair it with the housing from a Durock T1 or Koala. We are making this a pre-assembled switch so you can avoid the hassles and costs of frankenswitching.

264880-2
    Teal T1 stem for comparison

264878-3

Force curves:

Vendors and prices

• [US] Dangkeebs- $0.55 USD per switch, in packs of 10
    • [CA] AlphaKeys - $0.55 USD per switch, in packs of 10
    • [CN] Moyu.Studio - 3.6 RMB per switch

Changelog:
    3/21/21 - initial post.
    3/21/21 - We upped the minimum spring weight from 55g to 60g, and the minimum option for spring weights on the IC form to 62g. We were initially under the impression that the Everglide Jade stem we used for testing the 55g spring was identical to the Durock Medium Tactile stem and other JWK Clear-like stems, but it is slightly more rounded and allows for a return with slightly lighter springs. Krzew on the Switchmodders Discord said that they couldn't get this to return with a Kelowna 58g spring. We just tested this with a Cherry 60g spring from an MX Brown and it did return, but JWK does not have a stock 60g spring, so 62g is the lightest we can offer stock. We also removed the Everglide Jade from the list of stems you can use to try out the feel of this switch. Apologies to those of you that wanted a 55g spring.
    3/27/21 - Added Moyu.Studio as our vendor for China
    3/31/21 - Added Mykeyboard.eu as our vendor for  the EU.
    4/24/21 - Added ProtoTypist as our vendor for the UK, and Daily Clack as our Australian vendor.
    4/28/21 - Added Zion Studios as our Philipines/SEA vendor.
    5/6/21 - Added USD pricing. Added force curve
    5/7/21 - Remeasured the force curve (accidentally mixed JWK "V2" and "V1.5" parts on the switch used for 5/6 force curve - remeasured with all "V1.5" parts). Added comparison force curve.
    5/9/21 - Slightly revised the wording on the description
    5/10/21 - Added prices for each vendor
    5/11/21 - Revised prices, added GB dates!
    5/12/21 - Removed IC form, updated specs (switch is 67g and unlubed), updated prices [/list]
    « Last Edit: Fri, 14 May 2021, 14:26:16 by Pylon »

Offline Pylon

Re: [IC] - Twilight switches, a new Durock tactile
    « Reply #1 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 00:40:22 »
    Reserved

Offline Cryelex

Re: [IC] - Twilight switches, a new Durock/JWK tactile
    « Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 01:08:18 »
    LETS GOOOOO

Offline yanwrld

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 03:31:38 »
    Interesting stem shape, the bump does looks sharper than the T1. I'm a fan of spring swapping lighter springs into tactiles. Nice to see a new option coming to the market.

Offline Aeterna

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 04:19:05 »
    Very interested and I hope this materialize. We badly need new tactile switches that aren't a recolor.

Offline iaman

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 07:58:59 »
    Wow, glad you're getting JWK to run these! The Rara stem with the T1 leaf was definitely an interesting frankenswitch, and now it's getting elevated to a stock option!

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
    « Reply #6 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 10:05:57 »
    I have T1s, haven't soldered them yet because the board it's supposed to be on isn't here yet, but it's clear that it's tactility is subdued. Not to the point of pewters and browns though. Very interested in these switches, as I'm still at a point in my hobby where I still ain't sick of the tactile bump.

Offline hyppialonso

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 10:16:16 »
    would be interested in it if it is really very tactile

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 12:22:24 »
    Gonna have to try this frankenswitch and if I like it I'll order some of these.

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
    « Reply #9 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 12:28:59 »
    NE graph avail
    1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
    More
    This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline grizzy

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 17:06:48 »
    yes yes yes  :thumb:

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 17:13:17 »
    Gonna have to try this frankenswitch and if I like it I'll order some of these.

Share results here for science pls

Offline magic_devile

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 17:57:23 »
    Could you give a comparison to zealios? I feel like in terms of tactility the T1 leaf is a little less than a zeal leaf, so this would fall between a T1 and a zealios?

Other than that, looks good. Very interested.

Offline norb

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 18:26:39 »
    please consider an eu proxy, sounds interesting!

Offline iinko_mk

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 18:37:10 »
    looks nice
    Code: [Select]
    [url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110839.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/GKL0Jxi.png[/img][/url]

Offline Rocket

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 18:58:02 »
    If you add a EU/UK vendor I'll probably pick these up.

Offline Ultrabeat

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 04:50:14 »
    I really like the look of these, and second the need for both a UK and EU Vendor (post brexit shipping issues). I'd recommend Keebcats.co.uk for a UK Vendor, they recently did the Pewter tactiles in the UK.

My feedback in the IC was that I would prefer/like an alternative option for a Koala like housing. I find that translucent housings don't offer a very exciting sound when compared to opaque options.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 12:50:58 »
    2021, and people are still making none dampened switches... It's sheer madness.  :'(

Offline iaman

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 13:46:17 »
    2021, and people are still making none dampened switches... It's sheer madness.  :'(
    Unsilenced? Keebwerk has exclusivity with JWK on silenced tactiles, or at least did and has possibly renegotiated it.

But also not everybody dislikes the sound of switches or works in a colocated fashion with people who do. Your preferences aren't the only valid ones.

Offline thelateclacker

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 14:58:36 »
    would there happen to be any comparisons to a holy (or glorious) panda, or a boba u4?  Don't have access to many switches and these are the ones I've tried so far.  The MX clear was mentioned also, and I do have a single mx clear as part of a tester, but don't know how they would feel when used in a full layout.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 23:38:19 »
    Hi - we're pleased to announce Moyu.studio as our China vendor, and Mykeyboard.eu as our EU vendor!

Offline Pylon

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 23:45:48 »
    Could you give a comparison to zealios? I feel like in terms of tactility the T1 leaf is a little less than a zeal leaf, so this would fall between a T1 and a zealios?

I unfortunately don't have a Zealios to compare to. Looking at force curve data they should be more tactile than a Zealios V1. Can't say for V2.

would there happen to be any comparisons to a holy (or glorious) panda, or a boba u4?  Don't have access to many switches and these are the ones I've tried so far.  The MX clear was mentioned also, and I do have a single mx clear as part of a tester, but don't know how they would feel when used in a full layout.

I don't have a Holy Panda on hand to compare unfortunately . This has more pretravel and a sharper collapse than a Boba U4, and is a bit more tactile. With the MX Clear spring (90g), the Twilight is a bit more rounded and a bit more tactile than a stock MX Clear, and noticeably smoother. With both using 67g springs the Twilight is noticeably more tactile than an MX Clear, and just a hair more rounded.
    « Last Edit: Wed, 31 March 2021, 08:03:26 by Pylon »

Offline Havattack

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 23:52:14 »
    Unsilenced? Keebwerk has exclusivity with JWK on silenced tactiles, or at least did and has possibly renegotiated it.

But also not everybody dislikes the sound of switches or works in a colocated fashion with people who do. Your preferences aren't the only valid ones.
    "But also not everybody dislikes the sound of switches or works in a colocated fashion with people who do." What are you even going on about? Who said anything about not liking the sound of switches? What a silly thing to say.. Dampened switches make plenty of sound, it's just a better, base-ier sound. I have my own office, i don't have to worry about anyone not liking the sound of my typing.
    "Your preferences aren't the only valid ones" Please stop projecting your own nonsense on to me. I did not say, or imply that they were. I was very clearly just expressing my own opinion, why it seems to some how of effected you to the point of expressing..that.., is beyond me
    Did the "sheer madness" part really not give you the hint that i was just joking around? jesus. I in fact like ALL switches, i was just expressing my want for more custom dampened switches. Ugh sensitive people..

Offline Herothran

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 00:19:20 »
    Looks like a very interesting switch! I know it's a bit useless but is there a sound test of it? I'm just curious to know how they might sound like.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 01:33:20 »
    NE graph avail

Lucky for you - I actually built a force curve meter recently. The load cell (force sensor) isn't thoroughly calibrated yet, but I did do a rough calibration. Here's some preliminary force curve data compared to a Koala (T1), Durock Medium Tactile (with 67g spring), Cherry MX Ergo Clear (with Durock 67g spring), and Boba U4 (with Durock 67g spring):

Because the load cell (force sensor) hasn't been thoroughly calibrated yet I left the Y-axis unlabelled, but since all the switches were measured with the same load cell with the same calibration parameters, and because the load cell purportedly has decent linearity according to its datasheet) the curves should be comparable to each other.
    « Last Edit: Wed, 31 March 2021, 01:50:41 by Pylon »

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 06:12:04 »
    NE graph avail

Lucky for you - I actually built a force curve meter recently. The load cell (force sensor) isn't thoroughly calibrated yet, but I did do a rough calibration. Here's some preliminary force curve data compared to a Koala (T1), Durock Medium Tactile (with 67g spring), Cherry MX Ergo Clear (with Durock 67g spring), and Boba U4 (with Durock 67g spring):

Show Image

Because the load cell (force sensor) hasn't been thoroughly calibrated yet I left the Y-axis unlabelled, but since all the switches were measured with the same load cell with the same calibration parameters, and because the load cell purportedly has decent linearity according to its datasheet) the curves should be comparable to each other.

I like these changes. Hope the pricing isn't too insane.

Offline iaman

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 07:55:43 »
    i was just expressing my want for more custom dampened switches.
    Which only Keebwerk can make with JWK. Fortunately, Bushi extras are starting to filter out to other proxy vendors. Happy to talk about newer silenced switches privately if you'd like!
    « Last Edit: Wed, 31 March 2021, 08:49:54 by iaman »

Offline norb

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 12:12:50 »
    EU vendor ✓

gb when?

Offline Ultrabeat

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 09:00:59 »
    Hi - we're pleased to announce Moyu.studio as our China vendor, and Mykeyboard.eu as our EU vendor!

Are you not going to add a UK Vendor? With Brexit orders under £130 are a complete pain and UK buyers will likely have to buy from the US or Asia?

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 10:51:53 »
    For those asking about the keypress-feel, Pylon's post #21 is of course accurate.

When I put Everglide Jade stems [almost like this stem] into a more tactile housing, I ended up with a poppy and tactile switch.

Placing Aliaz stems [supposed to be similar to MX Clear] into the T1 housing led to a very poppy, very tactile switch that was very fun to use.

There was a lot of tactile 'noise' in the Taliaz switch, the T1 leaf really accentuates the minor bumps in the tactile leg. It did really well with the stock T1 65 G spring.

So I was kind of hoping there would be a 65 G option for Twilight. 67 G might round it a little too much. But I can just put 65 G TX in it.

If memory is any indication, users are definitely going to want to lube these. The Clear-like stems make an outrageous sound in the TX housing, unless lubed. That's to be expected, though, and these Twilight switches are really tempting.

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 10 April 2021, 05:19:57 »
    For those asking about the keypress-feel, Pylon's post #21 is of course accurate.

When I put Everglide Jade stems [almost like this stem] into a more tactile housing, I ended up with a poppy and tactile switch.

Placing Aliaz stems [supposed to be similar to MX Clear] into the T1 housing led to a very poppy, very tactile switch that was very fun to use.

There was a lot of tactile 'noise' in the Taliaz switch, the T1 leaf really accentuates the minor bumps in the tactile leg. It did really well with the stock T1 65 G spring.

So I was kind of hoping there would be a 65 G option for Twilight. 67 G might round it a little too much. But I can just put 65 G TX in it.

If memory is any indication, users are definitely going to want to lube these. The Clear-like stems make an outrageous sound in the TX housing, unless lubed. That's to be expected, though, and these Twilight switches are really tempting.

Thank you for this. Now I'm even more excited for these Twilights.

Offline Skeil

• I drink art and draw coffee
    « Reply #31 on: Sat, 10 April 2021, 08:43:41 »
    Can't say I'm a tactile guy, but I'd be interested in trying those out. GLWIC!

Offline Pylon

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 10 April 2021, 11:25:07 »

Are you not going to add a UK Vendor? With Brexit orders under £130 are a complete pain and UK buyers will likely have to buy from the US or Asia?

We're in talks with vendors for other regions. Hoping to announce something soon!

Offline TwasCold

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 10 April 2021, 11:51:58 »
    Excited for anything that's not a recolour!

These look really interesting too I can see then becoming quite iconic.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 20:13:17 »
    I know you probably don't want to hear this, and I'm going to buy Twilight anyway, but will you ever try an Everglide Jade + T1 switch? Because that would be really cool if you could get that working, a 'light tactile' version of this switch.

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 20:15:53 »
    Please consider Zion Studios as a PH Vendor. Thank you  :)

Offline Aeterna

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 12:05:54 »

Yes please! I want this to happen.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 19:46:32 »
    I know you probably don't want to hear this, and I'm going to buy Twilight anyway, but will you ever try an Everglide Jade + T1 switch? Because that would be really cool if you could get that working, a 'light tactile' version of this switch.

The Everglide Jade stem is very similar but not exact - it's slightly more rounded than the Medium Tactile stem. It's actually unclear who manufactures the Everglide Jade switches - it might not even be JWK, which would complicate offering it as a stock switch.

We reached out to them. Hopefully it works out!

Offline brainandforce

• Keyboarding on a budget!
    « Reply #38 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 18:06:28 »
    We now have a UK and an Australian vendor!

[UK] proto[Typist]
    [AU] Daily Clack

More announcements to come in the near future - stay tuned! Thanks again for the turnout; it's great to see enthusiasm over a new switch.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 19:29:12 »
    Also we added Zion Studios as our vendor for the Phillipines! More announcements soon!

Offline Aeterna

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 07:25:31 »
    Also we added Zion Studios as our vendor for the Phillipines! More announcements soon!

Appreciated!! Thank you for making the switches accessible to us in the PH!  :D Waiting for that GB schedule already.

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 07:52:13 »

Excellent!

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
      • treeleaf64
    « Reply #42 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 19:52:16 »
    But why would you want an ultra tactile switch that you can't type for more than 10 minutes on at once?
    treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Volny

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 21:32:37 »
    But why would you want an ultra tactile switch that you can't type for more than 10 minutes on at once?

Not everyone puts the same strength switch on every key
    Not everyone types for extended periods
    Not everyone has the same finger fatigue threshold
    Etc...

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 23:24:12 »
    Will the springs be regular Durock/JWK springs, or maybe there's a chance for them to come with TX 16mm  :p

EDIT: Also while I've got your attention, how would this switch feel paper-modded?
    « Last Edit: Mon, 03 May 2021, 06:50:50 by lush_bunny »

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 23:36:32 »

With a light enough stem, the tactile housing can make for a poppy but not obnoxious switch.

I put Everglide Jade [similar to Zealio V1] stems into YOK Panda housings or similar, and it was a strong but not heavy tactile.

Aliaz [like MX Brown/Clear] stem in T1 housing gave a bouncy and energetic switch that wasn't the huge lump that the T1 stem is.

I don't know 100% what the medium tactile stem in the T1 housing will be like yet, but eventually trying this stuff you can get a spicy light tactile. [I'm testing Durock Medium in a T1 housing this week].

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 08 May 2021, 13:43:08 »
    It would be amazing if Twilight could also be made in the "Real Kiwi" colourway:

Imagine, a stock Real Kiwi.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
    • * Exquisite Elder
    • greyhat co-leader
    « Reply #47 on: Sat, 08 May 2021, 14:12:08 »
    quote author=HungerMechanic link=topic=111852.msg3046920#msg3046920 date=1620499388]
    It would be amazing if Twilight could also be made in the "Real Kiwi" colourway:

Imagine, a stock Real Kiwi.
    [/quote]

that's a cool switch :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 08 May 2021, 23:23:25 »
    Kiwilight switches.

Offline brainandforce

• Keyboarding on a budget!
    We're happy to announce that our group buy is starting May 12 and continues until May 22! If you haven't seen it in the main post, here are our vendors and prices:

[US] Dangkeebs - 0.55 USD per switch, in packs of 10
    [CA] AlphaKeys - 0.55 USD per switch, in packs of 10
    [CN] Moyu.Studio - 3.6 RMB per switch
    [EU] Mykeyboard.eu - 0,55 euro per switch, in packs of 10
    [UK] proto[Typist] - £0.47p per switch, in packs of 10
    [AU] Daily Clack - $0.48 AUD per switch, in packs of 10
    [PH] Zion Studios - 0.65 USD per switch, in packs of 10

We'll be running this initially as a group buy so that you can reserve switches for immediate delivery, but afterwards we plan to have an in-stock sale so you can come back if you need more later or miss the group buy.