Author Topic: [Instock GB] HMX Cloud Linear Switch/Different from previous HMX options  (Read 111017 times)

Offline DashanYYY

• Unikeys
303585-0

Discord:https://discord.gg/xprJb8Ta26

Hi everyone, this is Dashan from Unikeys. Today I am bringing to you the interest check of another HMX linear switch. It all started with the Hyacinth V2 switches which helped HMX earn its seat at the switch manufacturer table. People start to notice that even though they are a pretty "young" factory, they can create high-quality switches that come at a fair price point. Most of you know the story after that; HMX kept pushing out interesting options such as the Macchiato and Macaron switches which come with great value. Yes, HMX switches are great. They have smooth travel, minimum stem wobble, great sound, and a typing feel. However, HMX is actively looking for ways to differentiate its product line and to make each switch unique on its own to prevent the issue of having too many re-color switches. I think they did a great job on the Cloud switch regarding that aspect. 

Price

Price: 0.35 USD per switch

Switch Specifications

Switch type: Linear
Designer: XL
Manufacturer: HMX
Stem material: LY
Top Housings: PA12
Bottom Housing: PA 2.0
Operating Force: 42±5g
Bottom-out Force:  50±5g
Pre-travel: 2.0mm
Total Travel: 4.0±0.3mm
Spring: 22mm Single-Stage extended spring
Factory Lubed: Yes! on spring, stem feet, and stem sliders

303587-1
303589-2
303591-3
303593-4

The HMX Cloud Switch

The Cloud switch is one of the earliest HMX switches that use the LY material. Previous HMX linear switches all came with pretty standard POM, PC, or Nylon materials. Although the LY material is no longer rare in the market nowadays, a decent LY formula does bring the best out of a switch in my opinion.

Design:
HMX's previous molds have a huge advantage which is also a disadvantage sometimes. That is they have a very tight stem-housing compatibility. The housing and the stem mold very precisely to produce a minimum stem wobble and create a super smooth travel in the meantime. However, such a design comes with an issue for previous HMX switches which was that a tight housing creates a syringe effect; It means that sometimes key presses feel like pushing in a syringe. This was caused by having less space between the stem and the housing slides. This wasn't a huge issue for switches that have a short travel but become quite obvious for switches that have a longer travel. Since the Cloud switches were aiming for a 4.0mm travel distance, this syringe effect issue must be resolved. HMX adjusted its mold design prior to the production and left a bit more space between the stem and the housing. After the adjustment, the syringe effect was no longer an issue, and they were able to keep the stem wobble at the minimum level as usual.

Another design tweak to be noticed is that although the spec sheet says the Cloud switches have a 4.0mm full travel distance, but it is more like 3.9mm in real life. This is mainly because they are stem pole bottoming out, and the extended stem tip shortens the travel a little bit.

Materials:
I still remember the day I wrote the BSUN X switches' IC post; I said that the LY material at the time was still not very common among switches and that only a few options came with this choice. It has only been a few months since then, and now we see every manufacturer pushing out switches using the LY material. I personally have no problem with that at all since I love LY stems very much. One of the reasons is that LY is a mix of both POM and UPE (specific formula depends on each manufacturer's design), and that balances out the smoothness and hardness of the stem. An LY stem basically takes both POM and UPE's merits and eliminates their defects at the same time. After trying out the Cloud switches, I have to say HMX's LY material formula is as good as BSUN and JWK's. However, I do notice that it is possible HMX added less UPE to it since the bottom-out still sounds quite clacky. Another good thing about this is that we don't need to worry about the LY shrinkage issue that appeared on the JWK SOTC switches.

Regarding the top and bottom housing materials, I have to say HMX has more PA variants than any factory that exists on this planet. Please allow me to reiterate this for you:

From most clacky to less clacky: PA2.0-PA12-PA1-PA66
Smoothness: They are all very smooth. PA2.0 is a bit smoother than the rest since they added PTFE to it to increase smoothness and friction resistance.

Really, the PA variants only differ in their sound profile mostly. You can see that the Cloud switch is using PA12 as its top housing and PA2.0 as its bottom housing. This means they will sound clacky instead of thocky. However, thanks to the LY stem, they are not going to sound as loud and thocky as the Hyacinth V2 I can assure you that. The bottom-out sound created by LY and PA12 is very pleasant and concentrated.

Overall, it is very obvious HMX is making an effort to have their new switches made different from the existing ones. The changes in mold design and material choices can prove that. Based on my personal experience, I can also they that they sound and feel different from the previous HMX switches we carry. The Cloud switches are very balanced in sound and feel. However, for those who are waiting for a thocky HMX switch, you might need to wait a bit longer.

Form of Sales

Time of Sales
October 27th at 8:30 PM ET

Vendor List
Global: Unikeys https://unikeyboards.com/

Reviews and Videos
[/youtube]

« Last Edit: Thu, 07 December 2023, 14:33:50 by DashanYYY »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: [Instock GB] HMX Cloud Linear Switch/Different from previous HMX options
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 October 2023, 12:59:29 »
Approved :thumb:

Offline DashanYYY

• Unikeys

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 October 2023, 15:20:29 »
Already have 100 of these on the way to me, will report back here once I get them to let you guys know how they are!

Offline DashanYYY

• Unikeys
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 14:05:56 »
Already have 100 of these on the way to me, will report back here once I get them to let you guys know how they are!

Looking forward to seeing how you like them!

Online Rob27shred

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 03 November 2023, 17:04:30 »

Got my batch of Clouds in yesterday & while I have yet to try them on a board they impressed me just testing them out loose in hand. Overall a very nice switch, here's the pros & cons I see about it.

Pros
Pretty much a full travel switch (it's 3.9mm travel) that bottoms out on the pole
Smooth feel, after going over my batch of 100 I didn't find any that were noticeably scratchy or suffered from the syringe effect. The LY stem on PA 2.0 bottoms is pretty nice combo
No spring or leaf ping
Spring weighting feels consistent across my batch, spring swapping unnecessary unless you want to change the weight
Tight connection between top & bottom housing, very little movement when the housings are pushed in opposite directions (probably won't benefit much from films, I could be wrong here though)
Very little stem wobble in the E/W directions
Cons
Somewhat inconsistent factory lube, but I have seen far worse. They all had enough lube to be noticeable on them, some had a overlubed feel to them IMO. (TBF I'd probably find any factory lube inconsistent so this might be fine for others)
Average stem wobble in the N/S directions, this could definitely be improved in future iterations

That's the pro & cons of the objective stuff the way I see it right now at least. I have  to stress again, I have yet use them in a board so this just what I gleamed from them loose & in a acrylic tester. As far as subjective goes I personally do like their sound. The bottom out is on the pole so it does have that classic sharp & hard bottom out sound. What I like that helps differentiate these from the crowd is that top out sound is very similar to the bottom out but a bit fuller maybe. This creates a very balanced sound between the bottom & top outs which I really like! Then the spring weighting & type. For me the weighting is very nice, my sweet spot is right around 55g & these at 50g bottom but being 22mm long kinda fit right into that for me. I'm usually not a fan of such long springs & the multiple stage ones, but being these seem to be good & consistent springs (no ping & feels consistent across a batch of 100)I'm will to let the length ride with these. Overall an excellent switch when it's price point is considered IMO. I really think once properly hand lubed & paired with a more resonant, open sounding case these will punch well above their price point! Gotta grab a batch of the swifts now too LOL!

Offline DashanYYY

• Unikeys
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 04 November 2023, 14:09:22 »

Got my batch of Clouds in yesterday & while I have yet to try them on a board they impressed me just testing them out loose in hand. Overall a very nice switch, here's the pros & cons I see about it.

Pros
Pretty much a full travel switch (it's 3.9mm travel) that bottoms out on the pole
Smooth feel, after going over my batch of 100 I didn't find any that were noticeably scratchy or suffered from the syringe effect. The LY stem on PA 2.0 bottoms is pretty nice combo
No spring or leaf ping
Spring weighting feels consistent across my batch, spring swapping unnecessary unless you want to change the weight
Tight connection between top & bottom housing, very little movement when the housings are pushed in opposite directions (probably won't benefit much from films, I could be wrong here though)
Cons
Somewhat inconsistent factory lube, but I have seen far worse. They all had enough lube to be noticeable on them, some had a overlubed feel to them IMO. (TBF I'd probably find any factory lube inconsistent so this might be fine for others)
Average stem wobble in the N/S directions, this could definitely be improved in future iterations

That's the pro & cons of the objective stuff the way I see it right now at least. I have  to stress again, I have yet use them in a board so this just what I gleamed from them loose & in a acrylic tester. As far as subjective goes I personally do like their sound. The bottom out is on the pole so it does have that classic sharp & hard bottom out sound. What I like that helps differentiate these from the crowd is that top out sound is very similar to the bottom out but a bit fuller maybe. This creates a very balanced sound between the bottom & top outs which I really like! Then the spring weighting & type. For me the weighting is very nice, my sweet spot is right around 55g & these at 50g bottom but being 22mm long kinda fit right into that for me. I'm usually not a fan of such long springs & the multiple stage ones, but being these seem to be good & consistent springs (no ping & feels consistent across a batch of 100)I'm will to let the length ride with these. Overall an excellent switch when it's price point is considered IMO. I really think once properly hand lubed & paired with a more resonant, open sounding case these will punch well above their price point! Gotta grab a batch of the swifts now too LOL!

That is a very thorough review of the switches! Thank you!

Offline DashanYYY

• Unikeys
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 06 December 2023, 15:36:42 »
HMX Cloud switch restock is now live on the website

Online Rob27shred

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 December 2023, 23:49:22 »

Pros
No spring or leaf ping
Cons

That is a very thorough review of the switches! Thank you!

No problem! So I did finally get my batch of Clouds all hand lubed & filmed (they really don't need films TBH, I just used them out of habit), then built up My Aaru TKL with them & it worked out pretty much like I was think it would. The Aaru TKL is a more open sounding case when built without the plate silicone pad or any foams like I did. Long pole switches like these was definitely the move with it to give it some sound to bite on. As for the switches they are punching well above their price point like I thought they would. Super smooth & great sounding! Gonna need to pick up some more of these & the swifts as I am loving the basically full travel with a pole bottom out & the unique plastic blends HMX is using! Definitely would highly recommend these switches!

Offline DashanYYY

• Unikeys
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 06 January 2024, 14:06:39 »
Cloud Switches restocked and is live

Offline Sirenforcer

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 January 2024, 01:52:35 »
 :thumb: :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 January 2024, 01:54:11 by Sirenforcer »

Offline DashanYYY

• Unikeys