Author Topic: ErgoDox build switch advice  (Read 2762 times)

Offline consolation

ErgoDox build switch advice
« on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 20:31:26 »
Greetings,

Having joined the ergodox drop on MD, I have constantly chopped and changed my switch selection and really could use some advice; yes, switches are a very personal thing, but, can anyone suggest if any work better (or maybe don't work well and should be rulled out) with these boards?

My main keyboards are a clicky matias, and a Green cherry CM tkl which I use ~50/50 - My initial plan was to put green Gaterons in the Dox, however; a) I could really use a quieter KB for those times when SO is shooting daggers with her eyes at night (+ working in public places/office) and b) I am worried that a light keyboard like that might travel with a heavy switch. Generally speaking, on the greens I tend to hover type, but on the alp-clones I end up hitting the bottom most of the time. Ergonomic factors are out-weighting aesthetic/kinetic pleasures this time around, I might be starting to show first signs of RSI, nothing serious, but I need to take more breaks and definitely feel marathon sessions next day.

My instinct would be to go with quiet matias BUT, MD run out of Alps caps and mx stems would be handy... I went with mx clear for a while, BUT, since I haven't had a chance to try one yet (nor likely will get an opportunity to do so before the order is in), I'm rather concerned that it will feel too much like a brown. It's the one switch I do not like - it really feels like a gritty red to me, plus what about the heavy spring and light board issue - is it even an issue? So, currently the order is for Reds - but Reds, for predominantly a typing board? How did I get here  :rolleyes: ... Noise isn't a deal breaker - so maybe blue? But, that means having to plug a different kb for any gaming... I had a black board for ages, loved it for gaming - wasn't the greatest for typing... round and round she goes, where she stops? No one knows.

ANY advice, even if it's just personal opinion, would be welcome.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 November 2016, 20:34:02 by consolation »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: ErgoDox build switch advice
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 01:11:49 »
Once you get the ergodox setup right..

with 45 degrees + of tenting.

You'd realize quickly that the switch simply doesn't matter..

The entire time, you just wanted to straighten you wrist.. 

Offline Dominathan

• Too many keyboards? Not enough hands.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 02:46:41 »
Greetings,

Having joined the ergodox drop on MD, I have constantly chopped and changed my switch selection and really could use some advice; yes, switches are a very personal thing, but, can anyone suggest if any work better (or maybe don't work well and should be rulled out) with these boards?

My main keyboards are a clicky matias, and a Green cherry CM tkl which I use ~50/50 - My initial plan was to put green Gaterons in the Dox, however; a) I could really use a quieter KB for those times when SO is shooting daggers with her eyes at night (+ working in public places/office) and b) I am worried that a light keyboard like that might travel with a heavy switch. Generally speaking, on the greens I tend to hover type, but on the alp-clones I end up hitting the bottom most of the time. Ergonomic factors are out-weighting aesthetic/kinetic pleasures this time around, I might be starting to show first signs of RSI, nothing serious, but I need to take more breaks and definitely feel marathon sessions next day.

My instinct would be to go with quiet matias BUT, MD run out of Alps caps and mx stems would be handy... I went with mx clear for a while, BUT, since I haven't had a chance to try one yet (nor likely will get an opportunity to do so before the order is in), I'm rather concerned that it will feel too much like a brown. It's the one switch I do not like - it really feels like a gritty red to me, plus what about the heavy spring and light board issue - is it even an issue? So, currently the order is for Reds - but Reds, for predominantly a typing board? How did I get here  :rolleyes: ... Noise isn't a deal breaker - so maybe blue? But, that means having to plug a different kb for any gaming... I had a black board for ages, loved it for gaming - wasn't the greatest for typing... round and round she goes, where she stops? No one knows.

ANY advice, even if it's just personal opinion, would be welcome.

To be honest, like tp4tissue said, you probably won't notice... You'll be too focused on learning the new layout.  I personally got Zeal78, which I love, and never tried before until I got them on my ergo.  Best part about this board is you get to put it together, so you could do anything!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 03:58:10 »
If you like stiff and tactile switches you'll probably hate reds.  Clears have a much bigger bump than browns which feel pretty much linear to me so they sound like a switch you should try.

Any board can move when you type but the most important thing to stop it is the feet - nice sticky ones will hold it much better than small hard ones, assuming you're planning to use it on a desk/table.  On your lap is a different story...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 13:44:27 »
Can't go wrong with Zealios. They are essentially ergo-clears with the smoothness of Gaterons.

Offline Dominathan

• Too many keyboards? Not enough hands.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 15:11:10 »
Can't go wrong with Zealios. They are essentially ergo-clears with the smoothness of Gaterons.

Take a chance; you'll love them!  Come to the purple side!

Offline consolation

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 18:59:34 »

Take a chance; you'll love them!  Come to the purple side!
Well, since the buy offers them, seems like a no brainer.

Cheers everyone.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk