Author Topic: Looking for LED compatable set.  (Read 1103 times)

Offline ShapelessJoint

Looking for LED compatable set.
« on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 02:33:03 »
Hello geeks,
I'm looking for a set of Key caps for my white backlit cherry MX keyboard.

I've seen a few sets made my ducky but they only come in "meh" colors like black, grey, and purple.

If the keycaps cost more than $70 i would rather buy a another entry level mechanical keyboard instead. I'm looking for cheap sets, like the full sets available at elite keyboards, but translucent.

Do you know any place that might carry translucent keys?

-CM Storm Quickfire TK Cherry MX brown, Microsoft Sidewinder X4

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: Looking for LED compatable set.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 03:30:02 »
Translucent you say?

http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/product/clear-blank-full-104-keycap-sets

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=570

The Ducky caps are good. Great quality and they allow the backlighting through nicely. Not sure what colour you're after, really.

You can also use non-backlit caps, the light will still shine through most sets of thinner caps.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 05:16:16 »
Meh colours like pink: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=711

There are very few proper backlit keycap sets that would suit a standard keyboard.  There are a few transparent/translucent keycap sets, but you can see the stems under the surface, and many people don't like that look.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ShapelessJoint

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 11:40:59 »
Thank you for your replies. I have found the Ducky purples and pinks are the best deal... Although i also came across some really nice Limited edition toy series rainbow translucent keycaps, BUT I CANT BUY THEM ANYWHERE!
-CM Storm Quickfire TK Cherry MX brown, Microsoft Sidewinder X4

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 18:44:12 »
Those are by Niqmods, but their vendor forum was recently removed.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 02:50:39 »
May be possible to make your own from the SP translucent set (the pimpmykeyboard link I posted before) the same way he did it. Make masks for each key, use car spray paint to paint the color on and then remove the masks and spray with clearcoat.

Or you could use the Max keyboard set which are kind of smokey grey semitranslucent and use different LED's for different colors: http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-universal-black-translucent-mechanical-keyboard-keycap-set-top-print.html

See the last pic on that page.

Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.