Author Topic: 3d printed tenting for ergodox infinity  (Read 8245 times)

Offline TheVengeance

3d printed tenting for ergodox infinity
« on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 06:42:06 »
I can use a 3d printer but can't design anything yet.

On thingiverse is a tenting solution but not for the infinity.

Has anybody created a 3d printer compatible stl. for an infinity tenting solution that they would share please?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: 3d printed tenting for ergodox infinity
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 09:18:21 »
hahahaha.. Um..

Are you using the printer for free? as in it's a school printer..

Otherwise,  It's cheaper and easier to just buy long m3 bolts for tenting.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 09:53:34 »
Would be cool to have the same legs as the Ergodox EZ. Shouldn't be too difficult, just redesign the case so that it is two layers with some holes in it. :confused:

The bolts mod that TP suggested seems like a reasonable solution for tenting an Infinity. Have you checked out the Kinesis tenting kit? Aside from the wooden Infinity case there has been zero developments for the Infinity AFAIK.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 11:49:34 »
Would be cool to have the same legs as the Ergodox EZ. Shouldn't be too difficult, just redesign the case so that it is two layers with some holes in it. :confused:

The bolts mod that TP suggested seems like a reasonable solution for tenting an Infinity. Have you checked out the Kinesis tenting kit? Aside from the wooden Infinity case there has been zero developments for the Infinity AFAIK.

IMHO neither the kinesis tenting kit, nor the Ergodox Ez kit tents tall enough in the middle..

You'd still have to mod both kits for the required heights

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 11:55:15 »

IMHO neither the kinesis tenting kit, nor the Ergodox Ez kit tents tall enough in the middle..

What is the required height? I've yet to find a height standard for tenting. AFAIK tenting height/angle varies based on personal preference

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 12:09:27 »

What is the required height? I've yet to find a height standard for tenting. AFAIK tenting height/angle varies based on personal preference

Um...  Greater than 100mm ..  I don't think less than that is very good..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 12:23:29 »

Um...  Greater than 100mm ..  I don't think less than that is very good..

Oh, ok. That is way different than what I'm accustomed to but I can see how that height could be considered more ergonomic than what the Ergodox EZ has to offer.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 12:26:41 »

Oh, ok. That is way different than what I'm accustomed to but I can see how that height could be considered more ergonomic than what the Ergodox EZ has to offer.

you just take your hand,  and stretch roll them outwards..  feel that tension go away from the center of your arms..

The thing is,  we've been doing this for soooo long that we're used to it. but it's actually still very bad.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 18:06:55 »
csmertx: my tent preference is to rotate about 40–50° up from horizontal. But really, anything above 10° should make a big improvement compared to flat.

The reason to tent a keyboard is to reduce the amount of wrist pronation required while typing. The wrists’ relatively neutral/relaxed range is probably something like 30–90° [caveat: I’m not a doctor or physical therapist; look up a textbook for some more precise biometric measurements]. When you pronate your wrist, it puts quite a bit of static load on several tendons/muscles, and also stretches out some tendons which you need for finger movements, giving them less strength and flexibility. Similar story (though probably even worse) for flexing or extending your wrist. The discomfort which results encourages typists to stick their elbows out to the side to flatten out their forearms as a way to reduce the amount of pronation, but this in turn puts a lot of additional stress on the upper arms and shoulders which have to hold up the weight of the arm. Instead of having their arms free-floating, typists then rest their elbows, forearms, or palms on an armrest, palmrest, or the table, which limits the ability of the big muscles in the upper arm to contribute strength or absorb shock.

If you tent the keyboard even a little bit, it makes a big improvement to basically every other aspect of your arm position and posture. Even if you don’t get the wrist to be completely neutral, you’ll still be dramatically reducing the static strain from typing.

But as TP says, a very aggressive tent will get you closer to a completely relaxed posture.