Previous Events Archive > KEYCON 2014 MEDIA

My summary of Keycon plus KEYBOARD COLLAGE

<< < (4/4)

infiniti:
Thanks for sharing! :thumb:

dorkvader:
Just so everyone knows, the keyboard right under where it says "acoustic" is my hall effect keyboard. The actual acoustic one is the one below that Samwisekoi(I think?) is typing on: (from a typewriter! A smith corona ultrasonic that HaaTa got, if I recall correctly.)

Full set of images:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/triplehaata/sets/72157639444527936/

The keyboard pictured is my hall effect which does have a lifespan of 30 billion keystrokes, but it uses magnets not acoustics.

HaaTa has the telex KB: I think the one he had at keycon was from a TI unit. Though lots of hall KBs use a second "dummy" switch as a stabilizer.

Also, the matrix sample I presented was a modern idea to achieve diode-less NKRO for these switches, I don't think I've seen it implemented in practice (most are just wired up as normal 2kro types, since they are mainly for terminal sue I doubt they send upcodes)

I am very grateful for making me seem less boring though :) You could use my talk as an insomnia cure.
---
That KB everyone signed is en route to the GH'er!

Thanks so much for the post!

mikekuehn:
Thanks so much for the clarifications, Sam!  I've changed the picture now.

I'll update my post with the other corrections for your talk, changing "Sam’s Telex keyboard" to "many hall effect keyboards" and clarifying about the NKRO matrix thing.  Didn't realize that was your idea... I hope you try it!  NKRO analog keyboard - yes please.  (midi/osc controller?)

So, the 30 billion keystrokes stat is for your hall effect KB?  How the hell did they even come up with that?

-Mike

dorkvader:

--- Quote from: mikekuehn on Thu, 07 August 2014, 08:38:47 ---Thanks so much for the clarifications, Sam!  I've changed the picture now.

I'll update my post with the other corrections for your talk, changing "Sam’s Telex keyboard" to "many hall effect keyboards" and clarifying about the NKRO matrix thing.  Didn't realize that was your idea... I hope you try it!  NKRO analog keyboard - yes please.  (midi/osc controller?)

So, the 30 billion keystrokes stat is for your hall effect KB?  How the hell did they even come up with that?

-Mike

--- End quote ---

Hi Mike,

Thanks for updating! First of all: credit where it's due, I got the new NKRO matrix idea from HaaTa.

Sadly, the hall effect switches are schmitt triggered and can't really be analog: you'd have to replace all the hall sensors with modern ones for that. My first plan is to replace the PCB (since a PCB is required) with a new one allowing for NKRO. First I have to learn PCB-making software though :P

The 30-billion number is from a "hall effect sensing and application" document published by Honeywell that I found. It focuses on non-keyboard applications of Hall Effect sensors, but when quoting for reliability, they do specifically mention that it was measured on a keyboard. You can see the PDF here. (1541 Kb, PDF)
--- Quote ---Long life (30 billion operations in a continuing keyboard module test program)

--- End quote ---
(page 7)

SonicRevolution:
Ha! This is awesome!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version