Author Topic: CaptainBadAss' Keycap and Switch Test Tour  (Read 44495 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: CaptainBadAss' Keycap and Switch Test Tour
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 10:46:49 »
Just got done talking with a lady at my post office on the phone and i gave her the tracking number, address, and my name and she said that she would talk to the carrier and see what he has to say.  Should be calling me back.  Any idea if this was sent insured?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 17:35:05 »
It was not insured.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #152 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 11:24:17 »
Interested in getting on the list. <crosses fingers>

Either way, though, thanks for building/running this for the community CPTBadAss.
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #153 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 12:13:19 »
If the tour ever turns up and melvang finds it, I'll be happy to add you to the tour. It's currently MIA.

Speaking of which, are there any updates melvang?
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 July 2013, 12:29:23 by CPTBadAss »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #154 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 14:45:00 »
I'm going to give this a month. If the tour doesn't turn up. I'm going to call it a day on this round.

I will try and find another switch try bag but it will take me a long time to find all the stuff I had for this tour for the next one. And if you donated to this tour and lost items, I will be contacting you for reimbursement.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #155 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 14:49:03 »
I'll make you some more meebcaps. Everyone should get to see them!

Also, I have an 8x8 non-working Tipro (rebranded as Assyst) matrix I could possibly donate to a future round of this.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #156 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 14:49:51 »
Appreciate it meeba. Really hoping it turns up though.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #157 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 14:51:15 »
I'm hoping right along with you, buddy. :( Just know that if the worst is true, your buddy f. meeba will be glad to help out.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #158 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 15:02:05 »
I'm going to give this a month. If the tour doesn't turn up. I'm going to call it a day on this round.

I will try and find another switch try bag but it will take me a long time to find all the stuff I had for this tour for the next one. And if you donated to this tour and lost items, I will be contacting you for reimbursement.

I know a guy that has a switch try bag but he's kind of a hard @$$.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #159 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 00:11:47 »
Man, this is an outstanding idea.

Sign me up for round two (I plan to have 100 posts, and will have some member feedback by then)

To clarify, USPS considers APO and FPO addresses domestic shipping, which means you're paying for a domestic rate. This include flat rate boxes, if you're not shipping flat rate, you're paying to the APO hub, for example, all pacific APOs (Korea, Japan, Hawaii) the hub is in California, so you're actually paying shipping to california, and the army takes it the rest of the way. However, if the package is destined for another country, even though you're paying domestic shipping, you will be required to fill out a brief customs form (it's literally your name and address, the destination address, plus what it is "Keypad" and value "$30" and that's it) I would suggest asking for the customs form when you walk in, and fill it out while you're waiting in line. They then have to punch everything you wrote on that card, into the computer, so you'll be waiting another like 2 minutes because post office workers never seem to know how to type. And then you're out.

TL:DR - Sending mail to an APO is exactly the same except you have to spend 30 seconds filling out a customs form, and stand there for two minutes watching staff fumble around a keyboard.

Now, the major problem is, depending on which post you're on, you're looking at anywhere between an extra 5 and 10 days in shipping time. Since you're shipping it to california, and the army goes and picks it up, puts it on an army plane, and flies it out to me, it takes a little longer.  The army cares, but only cares so much.

So, that being said, I'd love to sign up for round to, but I'm happy signing up for the last spot (I might just be in the states by then anyways)
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #160 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 01:37:29 »
And now I'm caught up on the thread, and sorry to hear about the loss.

Sometimes this happens, and sometimes things show up one or two months after the expected delivery. It's out there somewhere, and might just still turn out. Too bad it wasn't insured however, because then we could hold them accountable.

Fingers crossed!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #161 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 02:10:43 »
And now I'm caught up on the thread, and sorry to hear about the loss.

Sometimes this happens, and sometimes things show up one or two months after the expected delivery. It's out there somewhere, and might just still turn out. Too bad it wasn't insured however, because then we could hold them accountable.

Fingers crossed!

USPS don't seem to care so much about insurance if tracking shows delivered, only if item arrives damaged/broken.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #162 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 05:47:31 »
I can't ask people to pay for insured shipping every time. Not everyone can afford that and that's ok. The only way that would work is if I pay for it out of pocket.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #163 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 05:53:44 »
I would be willing to throw some money toward insurance for round 2.  I do feel bad that it happend Cpt.  I know it probably isn't my fault but I still feel bad about it and want to make an attempt to make amends for round 1.  I do realize that other people had items thrown in the mix and I apologize to you guys as well.  If it does turn up I promise you that you Cpt will be the first to know aside from my wife.  I do hope that the keypad that everything was in was either non functional or something you wasn't actually planning on using.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #164 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 05:58:52 »
The Tipro wasn't programmed but I did borrow it from The_Beast. I would say the most valuable things on there were the odd switches like the Alps, the keychains, and the various custom stuff that I had or people gave. Caps like the BunnyLake cap and the meebcaps. Ray actually bought a bunch of caps and just donated them to me so I'll need to square things away with him if it really is missing.

No need to feel guilty melvang since it's not your fault. Next round, I'm going to be a reward thing like, "If found, please return to CPTBadAss for a $20 reward" or something. I'm not sure what else I can do to ensure safer shipping.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #165 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 08:00:30 »
I'm good no worries on my end.

But for the future I don't think having had the packaged insured would have mattered one bit. So long as USPS tracking shows that the package was delivered that is all they are concerned with. I had this happen recently and I called all over talked to all kinds of people, sent emails etc and at the end of the day USPS basically said nothing they could do.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #166 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 08:02:05 »
Hm ok. Well let's give it a month and if it's really gone then I'll see what I can do for another round.

To anyone else on the list, I'm very sorry you didn't get to play with this. You will have first dibs at the next round when I get everything together.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #167 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 08:05:14 »
I would love to but my gut is telling me to avoid this as I may have jinxed the tour.  Also CPT would you like me to send the ghetto green back to you?  And the green team Kit Kats were AMAZING frozen, but the wife hated them. 

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #168 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 08:06:46 »
Nope, I don't have any use for the switch and I can make more of them. If you really want to return it though, bring it to Keycon though. No need to mess with USPS :P

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #169 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 08:14:10 »
Not a problem I'm sure I can find room for it along with the other item I have for you.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #170 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 13:37:08 »
I HAVE FOUND A TEMPORARY/NEW SOLUTION TO CONTINUE THE TOUR.

If you don't know and you're involved in this tour, Dubsgalore, Melvang, and myself believe my original tour is now missing/has disappeared thanks to USPS. However, good fortune and SpamRay have allowed me to find a solution to this problem. I now own this piece of equipment (from cgbuen and Spamray):

Yes it is only Cherry MX switches and yes I no longer have Alps/BS/Topre/Caps. I apologize. If the people on this tour or anyone interested could let me know what they want, that would be great. I also have a Switch Try Bag lined up in case the original tour doesn't show up. I will wait one month (Until 9/3/13) for the tour to reappear. If not, I will buy the Switch Try Bag and then can add that to the tour.

Options are:
1) Send MX tester out immediately after Keycon 2013 (8/17/13).
2) Wait to find keycaps and send out caps/MX tester
3) Wait until 9/3/13 and send out MX Tester/Switch Try Bag - no caps
4) Wait to get caps and Switch Try Bag and resend the tour.

Again, please let me know how everyone wants to continue this. I personally want my original tour just to reappear so I want to wait it out.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 August 2013, 13:02:29 by CPTBadAss »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #171 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 13:45:04 »
Could I please be added to the list for this great tour? Thanks for doing this!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #172 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 13:46:59 »
Um, I'm trying to figure out how everyone wants to continue forward. If you read through the post above yours and let me know what you think, that would help. Thanks.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #173 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 13:51:08 »
I did read it, I'm just trying to get added to your original tour.  :cool: Didn't think my vote mattered since I'm not on the original list, hah. But I'd like to demo your new MX tester and vote for Option #1.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #174 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 13:52:09 »
You will have some SP SA caps and a couple matias switches also (one alps cap)! And I think 2 or 3 other caps I dropped in the box!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #175 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 13:57:38 »
1) I did read it, I'm just trying to get added to your original tour. 

2) Didn't think my vote mattered since I'm not on the original list, hah. But I'd like to demo your new MX tester and vote for Option #1.

1) My original tour is missing in action. USPS lost it and didn't actually deliver it to melvang.

2) I think if my Original Tour is truly missing, I will call this Round 2 of the Tour with the MX Tester. So I need/want as much input as I can get.

You will have some SP SA caps and a couple matias switches also (one alps cap)! And I think 2 or 3 other caps I dropped in the box!

Thank you ray. Definitely saved this tour ^__^.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #176 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 14:03:32 »
1) I did read it, I'm just trying to get added to your original tour. 

2) Didn't think my vote mattered since I'm not on the original list, hah. But I'd like to demo your new MX tester and vote for Option #1.

1) My original tour is missing in action. USPS lost it and didn't actually deliver it to melvang.

2) I think if my Original Tour is truly missing, I will call this Round 2 of the Tour with the MX Tester. So I need/want as much input as I can get.

Thank you ray. Definitely saved this tour ^__^.

I was trying to hurry and get it out or else I probably could have stuck moar caps there was alittle bit of room left in the box haha.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #177 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 14:05:01 »
I will call this Round 2 of the Tour with the MX Tester. So I need/want as much input as I can get.

10-4

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #178 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 14:06:00 »
I'd probably say wait until 2+3.  By this I mean see what keycaps/switches you can get without too much effort and wait a month before sending out the new kit.
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #179 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 22:10:16 »
I think I will withdraw from the tour, sorry for the trouble!!
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #180 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 22:40:17 »
awesome to see a replacement!!
usps still has me very annoyed -.-  >:D

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #181 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 17:08:17 »
I should probably withdraw to thanks.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #182 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 09:07:24 »
Got the Plate mounted MX tester from Ray today. Is there any interest for me to send this out ASAP? Should I restart the tour? Does anyone want to join? Is the 100 post count too high?

What's everyone think? Let me know what's going on.

I've written some thoughts here on how this tour can continue.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 August 2013, 09:12:36 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #183 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 15:12:42 »
Just pass it off to me at KeyCon and I can start the mailing.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #184 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 15:18:06 »
I'd like to jump in on round two, and I don't mind waiting until you can get a good variety of keycaps. Of course, I don't mind if you send it without keycaps at all, so my thoughts are pretty neutral.

Maybe if you sent it out without caps, everyone could add a couple caps from their collection as they get it? Something that isn't represented on the board?

It'd be a great opportunity for me to get a feel for different profiles as well. I'm very interested in spherical.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #185 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 15:21:48 »
I'd like to jump in on round two, and I don't mind waiting until you can get a good variety of keycaps. Of course, I don't mind if you send it without keycaps at all, so my thoughts are pretty neutral.

Maybe if you sent it out without caps, everyone could add a couple caps from their collection as they get it? Something that isn't represented on the board?

It'd be a great opportunity for me to get a feel for different profiles as well. I'm very interested in spherical.

I believe this is CONUS only??

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #186 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 15:24:51 »
He can get APO mailing which means its like CONUS but it's an extra 5 days I think. I'm willing to put any APO/FPO people at the very end of the tour.

Keep the thoughts coming guys.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #187 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 17:56:28 »
Correct, USPS considers my APO address CONUS, and shipping charges will be the same as shipping to California. Stick me at the end, that's fine, but by the time it gets around to me I might just be back in the states, and done with my contract. Finally.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #188 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 18:31:00 »
All right. As promised, it's now 9/3/13. I never got the other tester back and I'm not waiting for it anymore. I'll get a hold of another Mr. Interface bag for this tour if there's interest. Now the question is, caps or no caps?

And I'm thinking of lowering the post requirements to 60. Thoughts?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #189 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 18:33:21 »
Are there any Clears on this? All I see is Whites...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #190 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 18:34:46 »
Only Clears. No Whites. At your request  ;)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #191 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 12:53:39 »
All right. As promised, it's now 9/3/13. I never got the other tester back and I'm not waiting for it anymore. I'll get a hold of another Mr. Interface bag for this tour if there's interest. Now the question is, caps or no caps?

Anyone have an opinion? If there's no need, I can shelve this project for now and start it again later.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #192 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 02:36:35 »
Maybe a european tour?

Offline DamnDan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • The Insane One
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #193 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 02:57:29 »
Yeah European would be great :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #194 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 06:03:53 »
After my USPS fiasco, I'm very hesitant on doing a EU tour. Even with tracking I couldn't guarantee that my tour showed up. I'm not that eager to send my tester through multiple countries without any tracking overseas.

Offline divito

« Reply #195 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 06:22:28 »
'Tis a shame. Should another tour ever start, I will cover shipping for whoever is willing to throw it up to Canada with some tracking.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #196 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 07:21:03 »
I loaned out this switch tester to Melvang. However, since there seems to be a lack of interest, I'll be keeping it for myself for the time being. If you are interested, please post here. But it seems that there is no need for the tour at the moment.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #197 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 07:39:02 »
I loaned out this switch tester to Melvang. However, since there seems to be a lack of interest, I'll be keeping it for myself for the time being. If you are interested, please post here. But it seems that there is no need for the tour at the moment.

Again thank you for letting me borrow the tester.  My aunt decided on Reds so I am going to get her the Ducky 9008G2 Pro with blue and dark gray PBT caps.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #198 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 07:45:17 »
Awesome melvang. Glad I could help.

And I meant to say in my previous post that I loaned it to Melvang but I have the tester back now.

Offline Ch0nG

« Reply #199 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 23:13:31 »
Now the question is, caps or no caps?

I'll throw my hat into the ring, for what it's worth. The 100 post limit seems high to me, but 50-60 is definitely reasonable. I think including caps is probably better because it means those without a collection of caps can try out the tester without removing their keyboard's caps. (OK, it's not hard at all but it's just another step that can be avoided.)

All that being said, I'd love to try out the tester simply because it would let me gauge a wide variety of switches. Maybe if I get enough (*quality*) posts I'll give it shot so I know what switches to get/make for a new board.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 October 2013, 23:16:07 by Ch0nG »
Das Ultimate - Blues - Converted to removable USB (Mimic-Cables) - 40 A-L WASD ORings
ErgoDox - ErgoClears ErgoDox - 65g Blues