Author Topic: [IC] GMK ThinkCaps // Starts November 16  (Read 142922 times)

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
Re: [IC] GMK ThinkCaps
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 11:11:56 »

can we add vertical 2u Delete key (same as numpad + key) to Novelties kit? or if Delete legend is not possible, can we use the corresponding key from GMK Dot?
[...]
I know there are not many boards that support this key but please consider  ;D

Is there any?

Offline dallman5

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 11:23:55 »
BTW: icon mods: OG or centered? Some people will care to know... a lot. :p

What's better?

Personally, I think the OG icon mods look better. 
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 11:31:17 »
Nice kit and even more nice of you providing a low cost accent only kit for existing blacks in use. Very few GB's leaders are so considered. Unfortunately.

Thank you.

It was actually @Croktopus who put some mild pressure on me to included it. I felt the same way after re-reading the Think IC.

I don't think it will hurt the GB to include them. After all, it's called a "group buy" (and not a pre-order) for a reason. If that's what people want, then so be it.

Offline Rohwi

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 11:36:03 »
Could we get a set that makes this compatible with other GMK alphas?
Since ThinkCaps (right now) is not compatible with any other more advanced ISO sets (NORDE etc.) it would be cool to see a set that would go with existing GMK international alphas (e.g. from GMK WoB)

The Icon Mod Set + Accents is pretty close, but it's missing enough 1.25u for Ctrl, Alt or ISO Shift

Would you consider adding a full modifier set to go with existing alphas?

Are you talking about the Icon mods kit? It is compatible with other N9 sets (eg. Dolch). Adding the complete modifiers (Control, Alt, etc.) would be quite redundant for everyone getting the base set.

Sorry, I'm not sure I completely understood your question... can you please specify what you meant?

I was thinking about adding the missing keys as Icon Mods.
The base set right now only has a "Ctrl" key, but there is no Icon variant to replace the Ctrl key. The Icon Mod Set contains the classics, "icon only" Shift, Win key etc.
If you would add Icon varaints for all mods (ctrl, alt, etc.), like the in the Hiragana Micons set, it would make all existing GMK WoB out there compatible with ThinkCaps without the need to purchase the base set:
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 May 2020, 11:39:20 by Rohwi »

Offline DoItForTheThocks

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 11:46:57 »
I'd be interested in the novelties!

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 12:03:51 »
Thanks for including R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn. Please also include basic ISO support in the base kit (ISO Enter, R3 1u \|, R4 1u <>, R4 1.25u Shift).

The R1 End and PgDn keys can be moved from the base kit to the numpad kit, since they are always used only on layouts that have numpads (1800, CP, 96-key).

Optionally, you could also move R1 1u Backspace, the second R4 1u Ctrl and the second R4 1u Alt to the ortho & 40s kit. The reason being that you almost never see 1u Backspace on ≥60% nowadays (you can add a copy to the Minila kit, since that keyboard uses it); no modern ≥60% layout uses 2× 1u Ctrl; and the second 1u Alt isn't needed for ≥60% because there are no 1.5u Code keys in the base kit. Alternatively, you can keep the second 1u Alt and add a 1.5u Code, which together with the 1.5u Fn can be used to cover Mac and OG-style HHKB bottom rows.

RE: ISO; still undecided!

You are right about moving the End and PgDn to Numpad. I put them in Base to offset the cost of the Numpad kit, but logically they should be in there.

Since there is no Extension/Specialty kit for this one (and Ortho & 40's may become a standalone set), we cannot move too many keys out of Base. I aimed at a complete 60%+ set (2u Shift and so on), and because I was specifically asked for a split (1u) backspace in the MT3 SNES IC, I figured we should include it here as well.

You are also correct about the number of 1u Ctrl/Alt keys in Base. The issue is that I'm not really a fan of the "Code" keys, therefore I removed the two 1.5u Codes from Base in favour of the 1.5u Meta (◇) in Icon mods.

That being said, the main reason for leaving the extra 1u Ctrl and Alt keys in Base is to again offset the cost of the Ortho & 40's extension. If we go with a standalone Ortho & 40's set, then we could remove (at least) the extra 1u Ctrl.

Hopefully this reply if not too confusing. ;D

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 12:11:37 »
Could we get a set that makes this compatible with other GMK alphas?
Since ThinkCaps (right now) is not compatible with any other more advanced ISO sets (NORDE etc.) it would be cool to see a set that would go with existing GMK international alphas (e.g. from GMK WoB)

The Icon Mod Set + Accents is pretty close, but it's missing enough 1.25u for Ctrl, Alt or ISO Shift

Would you consider adding a full modifier set to go with existing alphas?

Are you talking about the Icon mods kit? It is compatible with other N9 sets (eg. Dolch). Adding the complete modifiers (Control, Alt, etc.) would be quite redundant for everyone getting the base set.

Sorry, I'm not sure I completely understood your question... can you please specify what you meant?

I was thinking about adding the missing keys as Icon Mods.
The base set right now only has a "Ctrl" key, but there is no Icon variant to replace the Ctrl key. The Icon Mod Set contains the classics, "icon only" Shift, Win key etc.
If you would add Icon varaints for all mods (ctrl, alt, etc.), like the in the Hiragana Micons set, it would make all existing GMK WoB out there compatible with ThinkCaps without the need to purchase the base set:
Show Image

Okay, I see what you mean. Something more like this (from GMK Burgundy):

I will consider it if we remove ISO from the Icon mods, but I want to keep the price down.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 12:15:38 »
I have to be honest and say that ISO is not quite yet figured out. It's separate from the base kit for two reasons:
  • Base is icon+text and ISO is icon only (as is historically)
  • ISO sales are usually disproportionately low; why force everyone to buy it?

I know CandyKeys wants a NorDe kit, so it (ISO) may very well end up in the international kit.

While I get the reasoning behind not including ISO Enter in base because it's icon-only (I think that's pretty smart), you also have to keep in mind that “forcing” 4 keys in the base kit has a much smaller relative impact on pricing than the current setup (in other words, the larger the kit, the smaller the price per key).

Whereas putting the 4 ISO keys in base would result in a $2 increase to the kit's price (number taken from actual GMK quotes where I did this for a similarly sized base kit), the current setup forces ISO users to also purchase $40–$50 worth of icon mods to get the keys that they need to be able to use their boards. In other words, you are effectively discouraging most ISO users from buying the set at all.

(Disclaimer: I'm not an ISO user, I just like to see kiting done in a sensible and considerate manner.)

Side note: The same logic could be applied to the R1 End, PgDn keys, which are only used by numpad users, and numpad kits also sell fairly poorly (see Dvorcol's numpad take rate stats for GMK sets). So they shouldn't be forced on everyone either, if you want to look at it that way.

Anyway, your idea of putting the 4 basic ISO keys in a NorDe kit is slightly better, but still isn't great for pretty much the same reasons as above. Namely, most ISO users are happy with basic support and don't want to spend a lot of money to buy an intl compatibility kit. This is why you always see these kits sell poorly. Rest assured that there are many more ISO users than sales of these kits would suggest.

BTW: icon mods: OG or centered? Some people will care to know... a lot.

What's better?

For what it's worth, I think IBM ThinkPads always used vertically centered icons for their icon-only keys, whereas some models under Lenovo went with the top-left (OG) approach.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 12:23:16 »
RE: ISO; still undecided!

You are right about moving the End and PgDn to Numpad. I put them in Base to offset the cost of the Numpad kit, but logically they should be in there.

Since there is no Extension/Specialty kit for this one (and Ortho & 40's may become a standalone set), we cannot move too many keys out of Base. I aimed at a complete 60%+ set (2u Shift and so on), and because I was specifically asked for a split (1u) backspace in the MT3 SNES IC, I figured we should include it here as well.

You are also correct about the number of 1u Ctrl/Alt keys in Base. The issue is that I'm not really a fan of the "Code" keys, therefore I removed the two 1.5u Codes from Base in favour of the 1.5u Meta (◇) in Icon mods.

That being said, the main reason for leaving the extra 1u Ctrl and Alt keys in Base is to again offset the cost of the Ortho & 40's extension. If we go with a standalone Ortho & 40's set, then we could remove (at least) the extra 1u Ctrl.

Hopefully this reply if not too confusing. ;D

Sorry for the double post, I'm on mobile and I didn't see your reply before posting mine.

Your reply makes sense! So does offsetting the cost of the other kits. As long as you've taken everything into consideration, and decided to keep those keys in base anyway, I'm happy :) But please consider doing the same, i.e. offsetting the cost for ISO users as well.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 May 2020, 12:43:29 by konstantin »

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 12:27:09 »
I have to be honest and say that ISO is not quite yet figured out. It's separate from the base kit for two reasons:
  • Base is icon+text and ISO is icon only (as is historically)
  • ISO sales are usually disproportionately low; why force everyone to buy it?

I know CandyKeys wants a NorDe kit, so it (ISO) may very well end up in the international kit.

While I get the reasoning behind not including ISO Enter in base because it's icon-only (I think that's pretty smart), you also have to keep in mind that “forcing” 4 keys in the base kit has a much smaller relative impact on pricing than the current setup (in other words, the larger the kit, the smaller the price per key).

Whereas putting the 4 ISO keys in base would result in a $2 increase to the kit's price (number taken from actual GMK quotes where I did this for a similarly sized base kit), the current setup forces ISO users to also purchase $40–$50 worth of icon mods to get the keys that they need to be able to use their boards. In other words, you are effectively discouraging most ISO users from buying the set at all.

(Disclaimer: I'm not an ISO user, I just like to see kiting done in a sensible and considerate manner.)

Side note: The same logic could be applied to the R1 End, PgDn keys, which are only used by numpad users, and numpad kits also sell fairly poorly (see Dvorcol's numpad take rate stats for GMK sets). So they shouldn't be forced on everyone either, if you want to look at it that way.

Anyway, your idea of putting the 4 basic ISO keys in a NorDe kit is slightly better, but still isn't great for pretty much the same reasons as above. Namely, most ISO users are happy with basic support and don't want to spend a lot of money to buy an intl compatibility kit. This is why you always see these kits sell poorly. Rest assured that there are many more ISO users than sales of these kits would suggest.

I don't disagree with anything you said.

I'm not really happy either with the current placement of the ISO keys.

I think the reason why GMK numpads don't sell currently is because they are incomplete, ie. setup for full-size/1800/96-key boards and not actual separate numpads.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 13:00:55 »

I'm not really happy either with the current placement of the ISO keys.

Good, 'cause it's really not a good placement.

As konstantin said, the best option is to place the four needed keys in the base set. You can even choose just the one vertical Enter key, to avoid having two of them there (for this particular set, the accent Enter is the obvious choice).

I think the reason why GMK numpads don't sell currently is because they are incomplete, ie. setup for full-size/1800/96-key boards and not actual separate numpads.

What are you missing? Other than the R1/R0 Esc/Tab/=/Backspace keys that several companies place on the numbads they offer, I can't think of other stuff that's missing from extant independent numpads.

Offline hkiri

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 13:06:08 »
Thanks for including a separate Accents kit. Any chance for getting an ISO Enter with Icon + Text?
WoB uses Icon + Text Mods and so does the included ISO Enters.

It's more convenient to offer only one type of ISO Enter, because they come in pairs (blue and grey). Again, we're not really decided on ISO yet. I was hoping nobody would ask for the icon+text ISO Enter ;D

Really sad to hear this. That destroys the whole compatibility with already existing sets (WoB in this case) for me.
But well, that's the ISO-life...

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 13:41:27 »
Thanks for including a separate Accents kit. Any chance for getting an ISO Enter with Icon + Text?
WoB uses Icon + Text Mods and so does the included ISO Enters.

It's more convenient to offer only one type of ISO Enter, because they come in pairs (blue and grey). Again, we're not really decided on ISO yet. I was hoping nobody would ask for the icon+text ISO Enter ;D

Really sad to hear this. That destroys the whole compatibility with already existing sets (WoB in this case) for me.
But well, that's the ISO-life...

We'll add the text-icon ISO Enter to the Accent kit, given that it fits into the voted budget.

As of now, the weighted average budget for the Accent kit is $24.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 13:59:59 »
Please also include basic ISO support in the base kit (ISO Enter, R3 1u \|, R4 1u <>, R4 1.25u Shift).

Do you have a reference for this layout?

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 14:29:11 »
Please also include basic ISO support in the base kit (ISO Enter, R3 1u \|, R4 1u <>, R4 1.25u Shift).

Ahem... http://www.farah.cl/Keyboardery/A-Visual-Comparison-of-Different-National-Layouts/#enUS

Thanks. I had genuinely never seen it before.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 15:23:59 »

Ahem... http://www.farah.cl/Keyboardery/A-Visual-Comparison-of-Different-National-Layouts/#enUS

Oh, it's your page! Sorry, I'm out of the loop.

I actually came across your "Why do keycap sets have so many copies of the backslash-pipe key?" page on Google once and thought it was quite funny. :))

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 16:12:22 »

Oh, it's your page! Sorry, I'm out of the loop.

I actually came across your "Why do keycap sets have so many copies of the backslash-pipe key?" page on Google once and thought it was quite funny. :))

I'll take that as a compliment. :)

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 18:47:59 »
Hey voodoo and Croktopus,

First of all, thanks so much for moving forward with this great idea for a set!!

I’ve got some concerns with the new proposal of an “Accents” kit.

The current kit design is missing several keys that were present in the original Croktopus-authored IC. They are enclosed in red rectangles in the attached image.

I think these keys would really make the Accents a much better buy for WoB owners such as myself. When used alongside WoB, they make any keyboard more closely resemble the original Thinkpad keyboard. Remember several keys on Thinkpads had blue secondary legends. The missing keys would really complete the package.

Is there any chance to include those keys in the Accents kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 20:16:51 »
Hey voodoo and Croktopus,

First of all, thanks so much for moving forward with this great idea for a set!!

I’ve got some concerns with the new proposal of an “Accents” kit.

The current kit design is missing several keys that were present in the original Croktopus-authored IC. They are enclosed in red rectangles in the attached image.

Show Image

I think these keys would really make the Accents a much better buy for WoB owners such as myself. When used alongside WoB, they make any keyboard more closely resemble the original Thinkpad keyboard. Remember several keys on Thinkpads had blue secondary legends. The missing keys would really complete the package.

Is there any chance to include those keys in the Accents kit?

Hey, thanks for raising the issue. I know Crokto wanted to bring it up as well.

The main problem is that the custom accent colour is too dark to provide enough contrast with CR and N9. It's pretty much the same colour intensity as N9. On black it could work, although not ideal.

For example, even on the Thinkpad keyboard, they use a lighter blue colour for the legends. There is no real stock colour alternative, the closest being V4 and DY. Adding a second custom colour is impossible because those legends won't account for enough plastic material.

Lastly, depending on the survey, the average budget for the accent kit is going to be around $20~25, so we'll have to pick and choose what's in it. Of course, we could always add those keys to the novelties or icon mods. If enough people are onboard with the blue/purple legends (either V4 or DY), we can try to figure something out.

Personally, I prefer the blue Fn, spacebars and Esc keys because they're more uniform. I will try to make a composite picture of the blue legends on the actual GMK samples, to illustrate my point.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 21:12:41 »
The accent kit has just the right keys at the right price  (hopefully). Don't mess with it.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 21:56:35 »

can we add vertical 2u Delete key (same as numpad + key) to Novelties kit? or if Delete legend is not possible, can we use the corresponding key from GMK Dot?
[...]

Is there any?

yes,
Duck TC-V3
Timber Wolf (from Croktopus)

do you believe me if I say I have the urge to create a board which include this key?  :D

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 22:14:51 »

[...]

Is there any?

yes,
Duck TC-V3
Timber Wolf (from Croktopus)

do you believe me if I say I have the urge to create a board which include this key?  :D

I do have the temptation of building, for shirts and gingers, a TKL with a Wang-style Delete key, with Insert moved to either the "F13" position or to the right of the split right Shift, and then make all kinds of jokes about "playing with my wang". Mr. Wang of Wang Laboratories joked about it himself, so I think we should carry on with his legacy.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
Re: [IC] GMK ThinkCaps (incl. RGBW mods and more...)
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 01:10:42 »
Very neat! OG style WoB alphas and Dolch modifiers in one.

Love the choice of CP for the legends rather than WS1.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 03:21:11 »
The current kit design is missing several keys that were present in the original Croktopus-authored IC.

voodoo's reply pretty much covers it. We're looking into some v4 on black options while keeping budget in mind. something I'm considering is killing the escape key to fit in more authentic keycaps, if it comes down to that. however, the f keys and arrow keys aren't gonna work out - they were more like auxiliary keys in the first place to fill out the kit and try to provide a slightly better value by adding significantly more keycaps for hopefully not significantly more money (before i realized how impractical the add on kit was in the first place), but now i'd like to re-orient it towards being as faithful as reasonable towards the original, whereas people that want a good looking keycap set with thinkpad vibes can get the base kit!

« Last Edit: Tue, 12 May 2020, 03:23:55 by Croktopus »

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 10:02:55 »
Love this. A lot. My only issue is that to get Alpha coloured split spacebars (2.25, 1.25, 2.75u all convex) you have to purchase the 40s kit and the minila kit. Would be nicer if only one kit was necessary (and ideally a small one at that!) Maybe put split alpha-coloured bars in the spacebar kit?

Just curious, what board/layout is it for?

Nevermind. I'm taking note.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 May 2020, 22:47:22 by voodoo6k »

Offline Myoth

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 16:27:37 »
I'm very interested in this, but I need to know, for the Accent kit, and the RGB kit, are the icons centered ?

non-centered certainly is better for compatibility with other sets, WoB for exemple

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 21:02:34 »
[mention]voodoo6k [/mention]
Love it & hope that 40% specific kit w/ alphas & mods included makes it b/c I'll buy it. Then I'll just need the numberpad kit. EVERYONE PLEASE VOTE THE 40% SPECIFIC IN!!!!!

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 21:28:25 »
I'm very interested in this, but I need to know, for the Accent kit, and the RGB kit, are the icons centered ?

non-centered certainly is better for compatibility with other sets, WoB for exemple

The icon Shift and Caps lock keys will be in the old style, off-center. Sorry the renders don't reflect this, I will correct them eventually.

Unless I am mistaken, the Accent kit is not affect by the centered icons?

[mention]voodoo6k [/mention]
Love it & hope that 40% specific kit w/ alphas & mods included makes it b/c I'll buy it. Then I'll just need the numberpad kit. EVERYONE PLEASE VOTE THE 40% SPECIFIC IN!!!!!

Awesome :)

Offline apejonk

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 05:17:27 »
I like it!
This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, stepped control users, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. (2 Timothy 1:5)

Offline jouz

• bemeier.com
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 07:45:43 »
Would join just to get my hands on a 3u spacebar!

Offline kidviddy

• 駄日記
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 08:39:16 »
Would join just to get my hands on a 3u spacebar!

Yes! That’s kind of why I’m here too ;-)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 08:56:47 »
I suggest to ask GMK for samples of the icon mods (particularly the Enter keys) when the order has been submitted. Just to assure that the long arrow molds have been fixed.

Offline NMZS

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 09:07:34 »
If you would add Icon varaints for all mods (ctrl, alt, etc.), like the in the Hiragana Micons set, it would make all existing GMK WoB out there compatible with ThinkCaps without the need to purchase the base set
Yes pls! Offering a set as a compliment to GMK WoB would be awesome and an instant buy from me. I already own the candykeys WoB version and would love to be able to "spice it up" (which feels weird to say given this is thinkpad-inspired :P) without spending a ton on a full set where most of the keys are duplicates of ones I already own.

Offline gfreeman11898

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 09:31:59 »
Why use CP for the legends? If you go with WS1 across the board, it offers more compatibility with other GMK sets (Originative Dolch, WoB, Burgundy).

I just remembered I already have this set in WS1,  ;D
242436-0
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 May 2020, 09:59:00 by gfreeman11898 »

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 10:51:19 »
Why use CP for the legends? If you go with WS1 across the board, it offers more compatibility with other GMK sets (Originative Dolch, WoB, Burgundy).

(Attachment Link)

This is my opinion, but I think WS1 is not the best choice for legends.

First, you mention Originative Dolch and Drop WoB; what about OG Dolch and Cherry WoB? These are CP and account for arguably more sets.

Second, WS1 is much more translucent than CP (and other colours in general). The result is a milky legend that is less sharp in most lighting situations. In other words: CP just looks better.

Lastly, this is more of an OG set. Those (like yourself) who want to combine WS1 Dolch and WoB, or WoB only, can purchase the accent kit which will have the WS1 legends for this exact reason.

Hopefully this clears things up.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 11:00:36 »
I suggest to ask GMK for samples of the icon mods (particularly the Enter keys) when the order has been submitted. Just to assure that the long arrow molds have been fixed.

I'll be frank, I'm not aware of the situation... I thought it was only about the Shift symbols. Do you have any pictures showing the difference between the Enter keys?

Offline equalunique

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 11:00:45 »

(Attachment Link)

First, you mention Originative Dolch and Drop WoB; what about OG Dolch and Cherry WoB? These are CP and account for arguably more sets.

Second, WS1 is much more translucent than CP (and other colours in general). The result is a milky legend that is less sharp in most lighting situations. In other words: CP just looks better.

Lastly, this is more of an OG set. Those (like yourself) who want to combine WS1 Dolch and WoB, or WoB only, can purchase the accent kit which will have the WS1 legends for this exact reason.

Uh oh. I didn't realize this wouldn't match the BoW Colevrak+ kits that recently ran on Novelkeys. Personally, I have way too much QWERTY sets and not enough complete Dvorak ones to match my actual keymap, so I'm less likley to join now since the whites don't match. That's a shame, because there are a lot of great kits here. I respect your choice tho.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 May 2020, 11:03:40 by equalunique »

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 11:03:33 »

(Attachment Link)

Uh oh. I didn't realize this wouldn't match the BoW Colevrak+ kits that recently ran on Novelkeys. Personally, I have way too much QWERTY sets and not enough complete Dvorak ones to match my actual keymap, so I'm less likley to join now since the whites don't match. That's a shame, because there are a lot of great kits here.

Sorry. That's why we provide the accent kit.

Edit: You can refer to this post: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99984.msg2766769#msg2766769
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 May 2020, 11:05:21 by voodoo6k »

Offline equalunique

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 11:08:45 »
Looks neat, I'm down for the rgb and accent kit but not really a fan of the black and gray together.

Just to be clear, as a general response, the black is the same as WoB (CR), and dark grey is the same as the GMK Dolch modifiers (N9), very common colours to maximize compatibility.

This is basically like inverted (Sky) MoDo with white legends.

Would be cool if you could have a kit with the same drilled keys as GMK Tex Yoda

Show Image

I should think the people who bought TEX yoda and shinobi would be interested, though not sure how many there are
Got the same idea, so +1

No promises, but we can look into this...
Got a Tex Yoda II & a Shinobi in the mail.

For the Shinobi, GMK keys would be amazing, but I think the main challenge is the 0.75u keys at the top.

For both, I wonder if it would make more sense to have a 3D-printable jig that can hold the center keys in place for DIY drilling. On the other hand, AFAIK those special Tex Yoda sets from GMK came with the keys drilled, so they are presumably capable of doing it again.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 11:14:50 »
Looks neat, I'm down for the rgb and accent kit but not really a fan of the black and gray together.

Just to be clear, as a general response, the black is the same as WoB (CR), and dark grey is the same as the GMK Dolch modifiers (N9), very common colours to maximize compatibility.

Would be cool if you could have a kit with the same drilled keys as GMK Tex Yoda

Show Image

I should think the people who bought TEX yoda and shinobi would be interested, though not sure how many there are
Got the same idea, so +1

For the Shinobi, GMK keys would be amazing, but I think the main challenge is the 0.75u keys at the top.

For both, I wonder if it would make more sense to have a 3D-printable jig that can hold the center keys in place for DIY drilling. On the other hand, AFAIK those special Tex Yoda sets from GMK came with the keys drilled, so they are presumably capable of doing it again.

Shinobi is not possible.

As for the Yoda, if we can get our hands on the machined G H B keys, then adding the spaces should be a no brainer.

I assume 2 x 1.25u and 1 x 1u convex is preferred for the thumb buttons?

Offline equalunique

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 11:29:24 »

Show Image

Got the same idea, so +1

Shinobi is not possible.

As for the Yoda, if we can get our hands on the machined G H B keys, then adding the spaces should be a no brainer.

I assume 2 x 1.25u and 1 x 1u convex is preferred for the thumb buttons?
1.25u R4 convex wasn't available when that GMK Tex Yoda keyset premiered. Not sure, but could be the same case for 1u R4C too. Now that both are available, it seems to me they'd be the preffered combo.

Offline gfreeman11898

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 13:21:04 »

(Attachment Link)

Uh oh. I didn't realize this wouldn't match the BoW Colevrak+ kits that recently ran on Novelkeys. Personally, I have way too much QWERTY sets and not enough complete Dvorak ones to match my actual keymap, so I'm less likley to join now since the whites don't match. That's a shame, because there are a lot of great kits here.

Sorry. That's why we provide the accent kit.

Edit: You can refer to this post: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99984.msg2766769#msg2766769

If you're not a perfectionist, WS1 and CP are very similar to the naked eye. I'm extra careful when handling Originative Dolch (WS1) and Kekkon Dolch (CP). I appreciate the OG style of this set, most likely will pick up with a couple of add-ons.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 15:55:49 »
If you would add Icon varaints for all mods (ctrl, alt, etc.), like the in the Hiragana Micons set, it would make all existing GMK WoB out there compatible with ThinkCaps without the need to purchase the base set
Yes pls! Offering a set as a compliment to GMK WoB would be awesome and an instant buy from me. I already own the candykeys WoB version and would love to be able to "spice it up" (which feels weird to say given this is thinkpad-inspired :P) without spending a ton on a full set where most of the keys are duplicates of ones I already own.

It is unlikely at this point, however you can get both RGB + Icons for a complete (60%) mod set. That would spice it up quite nicely!

I edited the kit renders to reflect the actual icon positions.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 May 2020, 16:01:06 by voodoo6k »

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 16:26:04 »

Please consider the NorDe / International kit :thumb:

Nice with the OG icons update, lovely :cool:

Offline andr01d

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 17:01:21 »
Imagine a set of these that fit a Model M13

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 19:49:41 »

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 21:29:47 »
Heck yeah. I've cannibalized some WoB double shots and ePBT BoW caps to cut and grind out those trackpoint holes. An extra set of G/H/B keys that are pre-punched would be amazing. I'll have to find my IBM stickers again:

Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 22:26:32 »

Also, why no arrow on the numpad and accent enter keys?

I don't think IBM or Lenovo ever put an arrow on their numpad enter keys.

For that matter, the numpad on IBM keyboards always had * and / (instead of Cherry's × and ÷ symbols).

Offline spakecdk

• Browns are best
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 08:10:11 »
Two humble requests: adding US-ISO to the ISO kit, and the more important one:

since you are trying to capture the old school feel, imo the old numpad icons ("/" and "*") would be better suited for this set.