Author Topic: Wobble Free  (Read 8191 times)

Offline zpcrash

Wobble Free
« on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 18:30:49 »
Looking for a keyboard / switch that's wobble free or close to it!  I've heard some stuff about the latest switches from various manufacturers getting better in this regard but have a hard time find consistent, clear, and comparative materials.

What I'm looking for:
  • Minimal wobble; when you rock your finger back and forth on the keycap or grab by the sides and shake lightly (easiest to try with right arrow), it should be stable
  • Available as an assembled TKL; no soldering, adding stickers to help wobble, etc. and with good quality
  • Tactile; maybe a bit heavier than browns like in ergo-clear range (though I've not tried any)
  • Silence is not required but quieter is better

Anyone have suggestions for what I should look at?

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
Re: Wobble Free
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 18:41:07 »
Wobble is a factor of the switch, not the keyboard as a whole. You're ideal solution would have been throwing some of Oblotzky's switch films in a Cherry Brown or Clear prebuilt board, but I'm afraid that ship has already sailed.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92878.0

As for your request for a wobble free keyboard, I'm afraid I can't help you there. Every switch, regardless of manufacturer is going to have some wobble. Some do have more than others, but none are perfect.

Things to consider though while you're shopping. Generally, taller profile caps have more wobble.. that's just the nature of the beast. Also, from personal experience, I think that Cherry switches have less wobble (until you take the switch top of course). And MAKE SURE, that the board has an alu or stainless plate.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline nickaster1

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 18:43:29 »
I'm thinking Box switches and Zealios. MOD Switches wobbles a lot comparing to Zealios , if you're into that high end game.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 18:45:21 »
I'm thinking Box switches and Zealios. MOD Switches wobbles a lot comparing to Zealios , if you're into that high end game.

As far as I know, box switches have far less wobble that Zealios. Zealios have Gateron casings, which have a fairly high tolerance around the slide.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline zpcrash

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 18:57:06 »
Wobble is a factor of the switch, not the keyboard as a whole. You're ideal solution would have been throwing some of Oblotzky's switch films in a Cherry Brown or Clear prebuilt board, but I'm afraid that ship has already sailed.

I get that it's mostly the switch and that every keyboard will have some wobble.  Looking to get as close as possible though :thumb:.

Films seem nice - like a better version of stickers - but I would be looking for a board with this pre-installed.

As far as I know, box switches have far less wobble that Zealios. Zealios have Gateron casings, which have a fairly high tolerance around the slide.

So the Kailh brown BOX switch?  Are there any boards that have these?  If I go on MK.com I can search for Kailh brown but not sure they are the BOX switches.

Edit: This burnt orange also looks cool for a slightly heavier option.  https://www.novelkeys.xyz/product/novelkeys-x-kailh-box-heavy-switches/.  Again, just need someone to actually use them.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 December 2017, 18:59:57 by zpcrash »

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 19:55:03 »
Kalih box switches currently hold the crown, afaik, with low stem wobble.

However, panda switches also have low wobble due to how tight the body is on the stem, but this causes higher friction. However, this also leads to stronger tactility when the body is used with a tactile stem.

With other switches, like alps based switches, wobble is actually your friend. If they limit the wobble on alps switches, it intensifies their propensity to bind. In this case, a low wobble alps switch would be a horrible experience. Similar goes with cherry, usually the lower the wobble, the more friction you feel.

However, with kailh box switches, the wobble is reduced due to the shape of the switch, and the tolerances between the box and the body. It really is a win win here.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 08:48:02 »
So the Kailh brown BOX switch?  Are there any boards that have these?  If I go on MK.com I can search for Kailh brown but not sure they are the BOX switches.

You'll be VERY hard pressed to find box switches in a prebuilt option. Anything outside of gateron or cherry is pushing into enthusiast territory. If you're entirely reluctant to tinker with your boards, you're going to have to stick with more 'common' switches.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 08:57:49 »
box switches.  nothing prebuilt comes with them.  best option is to buy a hot swappable TKL like the K-Type and swap in box switches.
keyboards.

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 09:03:00 »
a keyboard with Hi-Tek Series 725 switches.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 11:12:52 »
There are a few Chinese keyboards with BOX white switches (click bar) you can find with a quick search on eBay and AliExpress. Can't speak to the quality.

Kaihua BOX switches have noticable reduced wobble over Cherry. I have brown on my daily driver, and installed white on my friend's board and they are really unique.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 14:24:03 »
Realforce 87U Silent 45g.

Covers ALL the requirements you asked for (lol not even joking).
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 December 2017, 15:24:20 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 09:08:14 »
Varmilo EC switches don't seem to wobble too much.

Offline PyroL

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 11:45:29 »
NMB Hi-Tek 725 (aka Space Invaders) use a pretty weird design with a giant slider, they have extremely little wobble, but are hard to find.

Offline zpcrash

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 20:53:37 »
box switches.  nothing prebuilt comes with them.  best option is to buy a hot swappable TKL like the K-Type and swap in box switches.

I bought a k-type with halo switches.  They claim / look like the have a pretty similar design to the BOX switch.  If not I guess I benefit from the hot swap.

There are a few Chinese keyboards with BOX white switches (click bar) you can find with a quick search on eBay and AliExpress. Can't speak to the quality.

Kaihua BOX switches have noticable reduced wobble over Cherry. I have brown on my daily driver, and installed white on my friend's board and they are really unique.

Yea idk how to avoid buying a pos on something like that :(  I feel I need a decent brand name on the board, not just the switch.

a keyboard with Hi-Tek Series 725 switches.

Interesting... those are linears though.  Do tactile space invaders have the same properties?

Crap, I forgot to put rubber dome free in my post  ;D .  Maybe if the k-type doesn't work out I'll do a realforce next.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 December 2017, 20:55:44 by zpcrash »

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 22:27:24 »

Crap, I forgot to put rubber dome free in my post  ;D .  Maybe if the k-type doesn't work out I'll do a realforce next.

Embrace the good feeling of oneness with cup rubber.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 00:07:48 »
Get a Space Invaders board. Yes, they do tactile and clicky ones too.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 02:59:28 »
I gotta admit after spending sometime with my topre.. its really really hard to switch back to my MX boards. The only thing that really drags me back to the MX boards is my shiny artisan's and lights.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 06:05:49 »
I gotta admit after spending sometime with my topre.. its really really hard to switch back to my MX boards. The only thing that really drags me back to the MX boards is my shiny artisan's and lights.
The higher variety of caps makes cherry mx far more attractive than they would be otherwise.

I have got creative on alps though. Black modern caps with aged yellowed caps offers a great contrast that looks fantastic. However, that wouldn't really help someone who is stuck on topre.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 06:14:22 »

You just basically described a Realforce 87U Silent. Seems like a pretty easy choice. Pop some BKE domes in it and you will have arguably the best tactile experience you can get.

Clicky and linear you can do better with other switch types but Topre BKE is the king of tactile.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 December 2017, 06:17:37 by amoswetherbee »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 07:53:32 »
Seriously, I'm not kidding. If lack of wobble is your primary concern, get Space Invaders. They are by far the most rock-steady switches I've ever seen, and I've seen a LOT of switches xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 09:32:33 »

You just basically described a Realforce 87U Silent. Seems like a pretty easy choice. Pop some BKE domes in it and you will have arguably the best tactile experience you can get.

Clicky and linear you can do better with other switch types but Topre BKE is the king of tactile.

Harshest** tactile experience. I must add that BKE domes are something to research heavily before buying. I've gotten used to mine, but they are a stark contrast to stock rf domes. If you value that 'elegant' or 'pillowy' feel of a topre dome, they are certainly not for you.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 09:37:59 »
I feel that a little bit of wobble is easier on fingers, because it relieves the stress possibly induced by a non centered keypress.

Offline zpcrash

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 19:07:07 »

Luckily I care not for lighting, and I'm fine with stock caps as long as they are good quality.  Like blank or double shot PBTs with no wear concerns = good to go.

Seriously, I'm not kidding. If lack of wobble is your primary concern, get Space Invaders. They are by far the most rock-steady switches I've ever seen, and I've seen a LOT of switches xD .

Your neon green alps and epson BFK videos are open in my other tabs.  I tried to do some research, and you just distracted me with shiny un-available things!  :D

Harshest** tactile experience. I must add that BKE domes are something to research heavily before buying. I've gotten used to mine, but they are a stark contrast to stock rf domes. If you value that 'elegant' or 'pillowy' feel of a topre dome, they are certainly not for you.

Alright so I guess topre, space invaders, and replacement domes are on the possible next step list.

« Last Edit: Fri, 09 February 2018, 16:55:23 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline killyou

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 08:05:04 »
I bought Gateron Silent Blacks couple of weeks ago and they are pretty much solid. They wobble far less than my Cherry MX switches. If this is new Gateron standard of wobbliness then I would recommend anything Gateron.