Author Topic: [SOLD] IBM Model F-XT, nice enough shape, $50 + shipping  (Read 4426 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
[SOLD] IBM Model F-XT, nice enough shape, $50 + shipping
« on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 18:35:58 »
Looks like it's half-price sale time: An F-XT in (apparently) very nice shape, from a highly-rated seller, for just $50.00 + shipping!

Original IBM PC Keyboard

« Last Edit: Sun, 23 September 2018, 01:08:31 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline JP

Re: IBM Model F-XT, nice enough shape, $50 + shipping
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 20:35:28 »
That's a great deal.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 20:44:21 »
As with all the Model Fs on eBay, no obvious shipping to Germany is offered, but I could imagine that - if the seller would even consider making an exception for me - it'd be $60 or more - plus import costs. Those rare moments when I dislike not living in the US...  :-X

Tonight I'll go to bed crying, I guess.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: [SOLD] IBM Model F-XT, nice enough shape, $50 + shipping
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 23 September 2018, 01:09:03 »
As you'd expect, it didn't last long.

(LOL—eBay's "we found something similar" feature is recommending a Honeywell RD... Right!)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline JP

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 23 September 2018, 10:36:12 »
As with all the Model Fs on eBay, no obvious shipping to Germany is offered, but I could imagine that - if the seller would even consider making an exception for me - it'd be $60 or more - plus import costs. Those rare moments when I dislike not living in the US...  :-X

Tonight I'll go to bed crying, I guess.

Are XT's that hard to find in Germany? I live in the US and even managed to snag an XT from Germany at a decent price.
https://i.imgur.com/1aTGXnv.jpg

And an AT from Bulgaria
https://i.imgur.com/17DPXfP.jpg
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 September 2018, 10:37:55 by JP »

• actually, this guy
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 23 September 2018, 10:44:44 »
German eBay has some - for ridiculous prices (usually, four-digits). I could get cheap (but dirty and mostly incomplete) Model Ms here, but I'm not after them.
I started looking out for affordable Model Fs right after I registered here. No success yet.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Offline JP

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 23 September 2018, 11:39:24 »
German eBay has some - for ridiculous prices (usually, four-digits). I could get cheap (but dirty and mostly incomplete) Model Ms here, but I'm not after them.
I started looking out for affordable Model Fs right after I registered here. No success yet.

I'd say watch US eBay or stay tuned here, although the best deals will go quickly. I'd also suggest messaging sellers directly and see if they might consider a special shipping arraignment if they didn't offer international shipping on their listing. You will have to pay a premium for shipping. With persistence you will find one. Additionally I would suggest a WTB thread here on GH or on Deskthority which has many members across Europe.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 September 2018, 12:04:30 by JP »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 23 September 2018, 18:20:23 »

Dude, even if shipping was $60 to you, why didn't you try to get this? $110 shipped is what an F-XT in nice condition like this would normally cost—and I mean just shipping it within the U.S.!

If I were you, I'd make a friend here at GH who's willing to receive an XT for you and re-ship it to you. (It's easy to reimburse people via PayPal; all you need is their email address.) Then if another deal similar to this one comes up, you'll be ready.

It all depends on how much you want one. If you're waiting for a nice XT to appear for less than this one did, you'll be waiting a l-o-n-g time.  :?|

• actually, this guy
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 23 September 2018, 18:26:05 »
Making friends, even more so on the internet, is not my strong side, I'm afraid. But if someone would like to jump in ...  :blank:

I don't care whether XT or AT (I'd need to convert to USB anyway), but I really want to have an F some day. There is still a (degrading) rubberdome Fujitsu at my workplace and I'm increasingly curious about how a Model F feels, especially since I have spent enough time to learn to love my Unicomp.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 03:36:12 »
I don't care whether XT or AT (I'd need to convert to USB anyway), but I really want to have an F some day. There is still a (degrading) rubberdome Fujitsu at my workplace and I'm increasingly curious about how a Model F feels, especially since I have spent enough time to learn to love my Unicomp.

There are many opinions about Model F's (capacitive buckling spring) and M's (buckling spring over membrane). If you ask here, people will say they love them, hate them, love and/or hate one or the other, and everything in between.

But everyone agrees on this: They're significantly different.

To me, the F is faster, and its sound more metallic. The M takes a bit more effort, but makes the classic "thock" sound. I find both of them fun and satisfying, and I think they have more character than any other kinds of boards I've used. I switch to others for a while, for variety; but I always come back to the M and F—they're my "home base".

If you're serious about MKs, you really should have at least one Model F in some form. Both the AT and XT require you to adjust to older layouts. The closest Model F to the layout we know today is actually the 122-key terminal version:

Like the XT, it requires a special active converter to connect it to PS/2 or USB. But man, it's one solid board! And all the keys you need are there.

Unfortunately, people have discovered how wonderful they are—and an F-122 you could've bought for around $100 several years ago will now cost you at least $300. You may also have to wait for weeks till one is listed. But all you need is one of them—as my wife's dad would've said, "It'll see you out."

• actually, this guy
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 03:41:15 »
In videos on YouTube, I find the F's "ping" rather weird, but I guess it will be different when I'm the one typing on it. - The F122 looks like my PC122, layout-wise. I could live with that.

But all you need is one of them

Yes!  :-X

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 03:52:15 »
In videos on YouTube, I find the F's "ping" rather weird, but I guess it will be different when I'm the one typing on it.

I think typing-demo videos are about as useful as those silly multi-switch "testers". Recorded sounds are always coloured by the hardware they're recorded on, and again by the hardware they're played on.

If you like the sounds springs make, there's nothing like the sound of a Model F. They're positively musical. You have to hear them in person, by typing on them.

The F122 looks like my PC122, layout-wise. I could live with that.

See—du wärst daran gewöhnt.  :?)

• actually, this guy
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 03:55:02 »
You have to hear them in person, by typing on them.

I think so...  :(

See—du wärst daran gewöhnt.  :?)

;D (Ich würde trotzdem auf QWERTZ umstellen.)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 23:25:00 »
;D (Ich würde trotzdem auf QWERTZ umstellen.)

("I would still switch to QWERTZ.)"

What? You look at your fingers when you type? That's going to seriously limit your speed. I'm just saying.

• actually, this guy
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 02:00:33 »
Rarely, but sometimes.

Offline JP

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 08:57:18 »
Making friends, even more so on the internet, is not my strong side, I'm afraid. But if someone would like to jump in ...  :blank:

I forgot to mention that mechanical keyboard enthusiasts are some of the nicest people you will come across.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 03:14:45 »
Rarely, but sometimes.

In diesem Fall würde ich mir keine Sorgen machen.

I forgot to mention that mechanical keyboard enthusiasts are some of the nicest people you will come across.

They sure are! They're also the clickiest typists. When they get together, it sounds like a knitting club.