Author Topic: Blue Alps Tour!  (Read 49453 times)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: Blue Alps Tour!
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 17:19:01 »
I'm going to interject to say that I received this wonderful board today!  Many thanks to AKIMbO for letting us preview this beauty, and thanks riot for packaging it well.  :)

OmniKey Blue Alps by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 17:20:48 »
I miss that board already...go easy on her for me, we had good times together.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #152 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 17:45:45 »

I'm going to interject to say that I received this wonderful board today!  Many thanks to AKIMbO for letting us preview this beauty, and thanks riot for packaging it well.  :)

Show Image

I'm glad that it made it to you safely! Enjoy, kind sir.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #153 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 23:40:31 »
Is this tour still open? I'm an alps virgin and would absolutely love to try out some blue alps goodness! I live in MA.

Please, akimbo?
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #154 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 11:44:27 »
Is this tour still open? I'm an alps virgin and would absolutely love to try out some blue alps goodness! I live in MA.

Please, akimbo?

Added you.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 12:52:02 »
<3 thank you! I've heard such good things about this switches! Can't wait to try them out.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #156 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 16:52:29 »
For those of you that want to mod a Northgate Omnikey 101 like this, and are annoyed with the original cable, here is another mod.

Personally, I am no fan of detachable cables anyway, and this one has several annoyances. It comes out at the right rear, with an L-shaped mini-DIN6 plug (which makes you think that a male-male PS/2 cable would work) pointing to the right, and an AT-style plug at the computer end, and it is coiled. My desk setup expects a cable going left, but I am just out of synch anyway.

But you can easily use a PS/2 cable from a junk keyboard, such as the $1 kind from the thrift store. I used a good long beige/gray IBM non-coiled cable that also had a ground wire. The original Northgate has a ground wire screwed to the metal case back, so I hooked it up that way anyway. Perhaps it is not really needed. I also pulled off the clip that the donor cable plugs into so that I could use female-female jumper connectors and avoid soldering, but that is only one way to do it.

Here is the pinout noted directly on a photo for your convenience. Always double-check on your own rig just to be sure.

The 2 blank wires do not seem to be doing anything, but I did notice one thing that seems strange. With the original cable running through an AT-to-PS/2 adapter, the arrow keys made the cursor fly, much faster than with my other keyboards. With this new wiring, the cursor moves very slowly, more slowly that with the others. I have not changed any settings, otherwise. Weird.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 June 2016, 07:55:22 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 13:41:51 »
So I got some blue Alps today (had to get some after Captains review and got really lucky few days ago) and have been playing a bit around with them. I only have complicated white Alps to compare them with but there really is a quality difference here, the blues are a lot smoother and they feel "cleaner". The whites are a bit heavier I think and they have more of a bump. I'll do a small video review tomorrow.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #158 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 17:51:50 »
A bit delayed but whatever:

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #159 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 19:46:06 »

Awesome review! Makes me even more psyched to get to try out this board.

Offline Shayde

« Reply #160 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 20:19:39 »

Video reviews of keyboards are often hit and miss when trying to reproduce the sound of the keys, but yours seems to be very good.  I'm fortunate enough to have all three switch types reviewed and the sounds in the video closely match the sounds of my boards.  So nice job.  :thumb:
Collector-of-switches.  Cherry: red, brown, blue, black, grey (linear), green.  Alps: simp./comp. white, comp. blue, Matias.  NMB: white, black.  Futaba: Cherry stem.  Omron: yellow.  Topre: 45g  Various: Apple II+, TRS80 Model 1, C64, Acorn Electron, ZX81 (lol!).

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #161 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 08:05:33 »
Where are all the reviews?

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #162 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 08:53:22 »

We're waiting for mashby to go first. :P
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #163 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 08:53:51 »

In draft form :P. Give it time.

tl;dr I bought a DuckMini V2 just so I could have more blue Alps.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #164 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 08:55:28 »

That cheeky bugger...never posting his reviews...:P

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #165 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 10:37:10 »

That cheeky bugger...never posting his reviews...:P

I only have two things to say...

More

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #166 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 19:42:01 »
How's the board, Hoffman? ;)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #167 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 19:47:12 »

:eek:  It needs a slight cleaning.  Many apologies for the delay, I just need to find a few hours of daylight to go outside and clean the board.   :confused:   Sorry guys.  I should be able to clean it tomorrow.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #168 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 20:11:21 »

:eek:  It needs a slight cleaning.  Many apologies for the delay, I just need to find a few hours of daylight to go outside and clean the board.   :confused:   Sorry guys.  I should be able to clean it tomorrow.

No worries. Just psyched to get it!

Offline Bucake

« Reply #169 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 15:42:34 »
man, this is such a cool initiative :D good on you, akimbo!
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #170 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 10:42:38 »

Jaj a...no problem my Neanderthal friend (that is what people from the Netherlands call themselves right?).

I'm thinking about doing an HHKB tour too.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #171 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 10:59:15 »
I'm thinking about doing an HHKB tour too.
:cool:
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #172 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 11:22:19 »

Show Image

I really like the style of those RGB modifiers.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #173 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 19:19:41 »
The tour will be recommencing shortly!
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #174 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 19:22:10 »
Can I join again?  :cool:

Just kidding, I'm glad we got the glass out of the board this going again. More GHers need to know about Blue Alps!

Mod Edit: No spoilers.    :|  :P
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 May 2014, 19:29:21 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #175 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 19:28:30 »
Can I join again?  :cool:

Just kidding, I'm glad we got the glass out of the board this going again. More GHers need to know about Blue Alps!

Shhhhh, that's a surprise!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #176 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 19:30:53 »
Whoa. I didn't get to have a surprise when I tried the board earlier in the tour. I have one sad.

Wait a second, are we just waiting for mashby to post his review before we continue the tour Akimbro?  :p

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #177 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 19:33:37 »
Whoa. I didn't get to have a surprise when I tried the board earlier in the tour. I have one sad.

Wait a second, are we just waiting for mashby to post his review before we continue the tour Akimbro?  :p

No..mashby always posts his review last...hehehehehe!
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #178 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 19:38:17 »
Lazy wimps.

I posted a review and I was not even in the tour!
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #179 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 19:39:01 »
Story time!  Anyone remember this?  In case you forgot, here's that picture again.

And guess what I had on the seat next to me.  My Kishsaver and a certain Blue Alps board that I was trying out.   :rolleyes:

Well, when the stupid stupid bird hit the windshield, it clearly shattered (see above for reminder) and little pieces went all over everything in the cabin.  In my lap, my backpack, my Kishsaver, and our beloved Blue Alps board.  :(  See for yourself.

This was unfortunate, to say the least.  I immediately texted CPTBadAss to tell him to alert AKIMbrO of my massive transgression.  Well, that was actually after I called for a tow.  But anyway, I felt awful, but thankfully AKIMbrO really is a huge bro after all.  He's been very patient with me as I've taken quite some time to find the right opportunity to clean the board (it's been raining here for so long...), so thanks for that.

Anyway, I've got the board all cleaned up now, and it will be on its way to 1pq very soon!  I expect to be able to ship it out either tomorrow or Wednesday, depending on how my schedule lines up with the post office's hours.   :thumb:

Thanks for putting up with this huge delay, everyone.  I really am sorry about the mess I made.  At least it cleaned up just fine.

So there you go!  This board has been through a lot.  But it's a persistent bugger, and hasn't given up just yet!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #180 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 19:50:10 »
Holy crap!

Were you going 150 mph or was that an Andes Condor?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #181 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 19:52:03 »
Holy crap!

Were you going 150 mph or was that an Andes Condor?

I was going 75 mph (the speed limit) and it was a giant ass turkey.  :|  I did of course slam on the brakes right away, but there wasn't much I could do at that point.   :(

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #182 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 19:55:07 »
The only good bird is a dead bird, grilled and smothered in bbq sauce (this includes turkey...bbq turkey is delicious).

| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #183 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 19:57:58 »
The only good bird is a dead bird, grilled and smothered in bbq sauce (this includes turkey...bbq turkey is delicious).

Let's hope Binge doesn't like Blue Alps…

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #184 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 19:59:15 »

Someone may have taken this bird and eaten it.   :eek:   All I know is that when I passed by the incident location as I carried on to Ivan's after fixing my windshield, the bird was no longer there.  I did make sure to slow down a lot the second time through there.  I would probably have not been happy if I hit two birds in one day.  :|

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #185 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 19:59:47 »

Let's hope Binge doesn't like Blue Alps…

Lol...I'm pretty sure Binge is an Alps hipster. 
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #186 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 20:01:44 »
You all are missing the point. The Omnikey has now been tested to be bird and glass proof. If *that isn't* a sign of how amazing this keyboard is, I don't know what else is. We pretty much had Hoffman shoot a turkey and glass at it like it was an aircraft engine and it survived. Now *that's* keyboard science.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 May 2014, 20:03:27 by CPTBadAss »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #187 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 20:05:06 »
You all are missing the point. The Omnikey has now been tested to be bird and glass proof. If *that isn't* a sign of how amazing this keyboard is, I don't know what else is. We pretty much had Hoffman shoot a turkey and glass at it like it was an aircraft engine and it survived. Now *that's* keyboard science.

And I couldn't be more proud to be a part of it.  :)

Actually, I would have rather forgone that experiment.  :|

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #188 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 10:22:11 »
Got the board today! I'll post a review soon. This thing is awesome, though—the blue alps are wonderful and the omnikey is built like a tank.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #189 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 10:46:07 »
Hooray! The board is back in motion!! Now for more reviews!

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #190 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 11:02:55 »
Hooray! The board is back in motion!! Now for more reviews!

Aww yiss.

Quick, post all the reviews before mashby!
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #191 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 12:49:43 »
Got the board today! I'll post a review soon. This thing is awesome, though—the blue alps are wonderful and the omnikey is built like a tank.

Yes!  Enjoy it!  It's a great board.  :)

And many thanks to AKIMbrO for lending out his board like this, it's a great thing to do for the community. 

I'll try to get a mini review written up by tomorrow.  I have some thoughts on the board, but I'm not great at reviews.  So we'll see how it turns out.  :P

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #192 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 00:14:44 »
Um, what?  I thought hashbizzle was next in line...

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #193 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 00:53:15 »
Um, what?  I thought hashbizzle was next in line...

You're next mang
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #194 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 00:56:03 »
Can I still get in on this? I'd really love to give blue alps a whirl. One of the only variants I haven't tried yet.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #195 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 01:19:48 »
Can I still get in on this? I'd really love to give blue alps a whirl. One of the only variants I haven't tried yet.

I'll add you to the list tomorrow.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #196 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 01:22:07 »

Awesome! Thanks dude! Much appreciated.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #197 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 09:26:29 »

Awesome! Thanks dude! Much appreciated.

Ja mang....I just added you to the super awesome totes magotes blue alps magic school bus keyboard tour.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #198 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 09:28:55 »
Could I also be a part of this?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #199 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 09:34:50 »
Could I also be a part of this?

No, yes, no yes, no yes....added!
| KBD75 (box reds)