Author Topic: ADB converter issues with different ADB keyboards on linux  (Read 885 times)

Offline stevesie

ADB converter issues with different ADB keyboards on linux
« on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 12:05:43 »
Hello all,

I hope that this isn't a stupid question, but I'm having an interesting issue with my ADB converter (using Pro Micro and the TMK Hasu converter firmware.).

The issue is that one of my keyboards, my Apple Keyboard II (not AEK II) works just fine on windows and Linux. There is sometimes that it misses a letter, but I don't know if that's me or the converter.

My apple Adjustable, on the other hand, seems to work fine on windows but does have issues on linux. The board seems to stop all input from coming in. I.E. plugging it in works for a few seconds so you can type like 5 letters and then it all freezes. The board is definitely getting power.

Stats for the converter are:
Pro Micro
1K resistor
programmed with QMK toolbox
.hex generated with TMK online editor using ADB to USB version 2

If anyone knows where I can look to figure it out, it would be greatly appreciated.

I should be able to edit firmware and compile it myself if I need to. I would prefer not to, but I can.

Thank you for reading!

Stevesie

Offline stevesie

Re: ADB converter issues with different ADB keyboards on linux
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 12:14:40 »
Okay. So you can probably disregard this post as I think I have gotten it licked. I was fiddling  around with it and noticed that my sound was muted. I think what was happening is that the mute audio button on the apple adjustable was getting stuck on. I had replaced these tiny switches and the mute one seems to have gotten stuck. I actuated it a few times and now I am typing from the apple adjustable now. All seems to be working.

So if you run into this problem with and adjustable, check the audio switches and make sure the plastic that actuates the switch isn't stuck down.

Furthermore, I tried re-plugging it in again and it muted the sound again. actuating the volume up and down seems to have stopped it from gumming up the works. Perhaps there is a short around the mute button or there is some other weird interaction between those switches and the pcb since they were replaced (perhaps I damaged something that has a precarious connection now).

Okay. So it seems that the mute button gets stuck actuating over and over before the vol up and down is actuated. Once those are actuated, it seems to work perfectly. I might have to pull it apart and re-solder or just remove the mute button and test it that way.

Sorry for the clutter, hopefully this helps someone in the future.

**Edit: It seems that the mute button doesn't work at all after the issue is fixed. This leads me to believe that there is either a short somewhere or there is an issue with the firmware somehow. It does lead me to want to remove the switch as I don't use it, but I won't want to get into it again for a little bit as it can be a pain to remove and re-assemble.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 February 2019, 12:22:15 by stevesie »