Author Topic: HHKB large keys rattle, lube good or bad  (Read 1234 times)

Offline mercer

HHKB large keys rattle, lube good or bad
« on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 15:33:56 »
1) On the stock HHKB P2 (version A2), why are the three larger keys (left shift, return, space) the smoothest and rattle-free? They come down with a solid thick “thock” with no play or rattle at all. The other larger keys (delete, tab, control, both shifts) feel completely different – looser, jangly, and clangy upstroke. The former is sublime, and the latter feels and sounds cheap. I have two of these boards, both version A2 and manufactured within the past year, one directly from Japan and one by way of US distributor, and they are both like this.

2) Will lubricating the stems shorten the life of the switches? I’m told so by a reputable expert, but then I see everywhere that many of you are very happy with the results. I love this board, and so my main reason for doing so would be to extend its life, but I would also like to reduce (not eliminate, as I actually like the sound) the upstroke rattle on about half the keys where they sound too loose.

Thanks for any insight!

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
Re: HHKB large keys rattle, lube good or bad
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 15:44:05 »
1) On the stock HHKB P2 (version A2), why are the three larger keys (left shift, return, space) the smoothest and rattle-free? They come down with a solid thick “thock” with no play or rattle at all. The other larger keys (delete, tab, control, both shifts) feel completely different – looser, jangly, and clangy upstroke. The former is sublime, and the latter feels and sounds cheap. I have two of these boards, both version A2 and manufactured within the past year, one directly from Japan and one by way of US distributor, and they are both like this.

2) Will lubricating the stems shorten the life of the switches? I’m told so by a reputable expert, but then I see everywhere that many of you are very happy with the results. I love this board, and so my main reason for doing so would be to extend its life, but I would also like to reduce (not eliminate, as I actually like the sound) the upstroke rattle on about half the keys where they sound too loose.

Thanks for any insight!

Those 3 keys are stabalized, the others are not. Besides lubing the sliders and adding silence rings, there is not much you can do. Now if the stabalized keys where the ones making the noise, then I would have recommended lubing the end of the stabalizers.

You can also try adding some kind of foam in the hollow area under the PCB in the board.

Offline mercer

Re: HHKB large keys rattle, lube good or bad
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 20:39:53 »
At some point, I'll try lubing the sliders as you recommend. If there is one thing I could nitpick about with this board is this. It's too bad that these keys don't have stabilizers also.