Author Topic: Retired for real this time, thanks everyone <3  (Read 90773 times)

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
Re: [CANADA] Keyboard assembly/modding services! I'M BACK
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 23:15:20 »
I currently don't have a soldering iron and would like to get some black switches off a weird board I have. I'm local in the GTA. How much would you charge to remove 59 switches?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: [CANADA] Keyboard assembly/modding services! I'M BACK
« Reply #101 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 15:08:20 »
Hello everyone I've had a terribly busy weekend with fixing up my own computer as well as a buddy's. If I haven't gotten back to you please PM me!
I love Elzy

Offline trigun0x2

• Potato Potato
    • HearthStats
Re: [CANADA] Keyboard Services!
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 10:13:40 »
Show Image

Happy customer ^_^

Jesus Christ. That is intense.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: [CANADA] Keyboard Services! I'M BACK
« Reply #103 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 16:03:24 »
Er temporarily out of service because my soldapult broke. I'll update the thread back to its former glory to advertise and hype things up while I try to get my **** back together I guess. Stay tuned!
I love Elzy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: [CANADA] Keyboard Services! I'M BACK
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 19:55:39 »

octagon done ^_^
I love Elzy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: [CANADA] Keyboard Services! TEMP OUT OF SERVICE (waiting for soldapult)
« Reply #105 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 14:30:48 »
BACK IN BUSINESS BOYS

Send me a PM if interested in having something done :D

Still been too lazy to update the OP.
I love Elzy

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 14:45:05 »
PM'd with a quote request  :thumb:

Offline retainerbox

• meow
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 13:46:52 »
Also PM'd! :)

ErgoDox/Magic Girl, AVA/Islander,  ALU68/Godspeed, VOID40/Dark Magic Girl

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 17:43:30 »
Everyone replied to hopefully, I'm still free as of now for any immediate projects!
I love Elzy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 22:06:51 »
Still alive just haven't been visiting as much.
I love Elzy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 23:35:55 »
New ****ty res banner. Still around
I love Elzy

Offline Rodgaroon

• Size matters, just ask my wife.
« Reply #111 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 21:55:51 »
Sifo, chances are i'm going to purchase a Kustom in the near future (i guess on GH that means 6-12 months) anyways I was wondering if you were in the GTA?
G6v2 (MX Black) | Poker II (MX Brown) | Compact SQ (MX Clears 62g)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #112 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 21:56:58 »
Sifo, chances are i'm going to purchase a Kustom in the near future (i guess on GH that means 6-12 months) anyways I was wondering if you were in the GTA?

Yes,  East York ^_^
I love Elzy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 18:25:49 »
I should have an update by the end of tonight for a certain someone ;)

edit: something came up. Tomorrow!
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 July 2015, 20:29:00 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline Rodgaroon

« Reply #114 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 22:57:53 »

Yes,  East York ^_^

Oh ok cool. Well i wouldn't want stickers or lube. just whatever MX cheery and LEDs. before I pick something I will get in contact with you and we can talks dollars.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #115 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 23:08:55 »

(Keycaps are mine, hopefully ttzhou puts on something nicer.)

Very beautiful board, great ergo clears to type on (done by GON himself). I've built 3 GONs now and eachh time it's a pleasure.
I love Elzy

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #116 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 23:23:44 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Very beautiful board, great ergo clears to type on (done by GON himself). I've built 3 GONs now and eachh time it's a pleasure.
Will you have my children?

They might look half as good as that board. Thanks soooo much Sifo - you are the MAN.

Offline Rodgaroon

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 16:16:13 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Amazing work.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 20:30:42 »
Guys legit I'm going to get myself organized and completely revamp the OP and also add a google form for easier requests. Soon TM
I love Elzy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 20:47:31 »
Quick bump for my services with video. I'm going to copy lastpilot and add a request form and what not. Might make my own website idk. But orders are open at the moment!

Geekhack's new embedded video thing is annoying...
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 July 2015, 00:29:48 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: [CANADA] Sifo's Keyboard Services!
« Reply #120 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 00:30:33 »
OK GUYS I FINALLY RE DID THE OP! CHECK IT OUT! :D Pictures of previous work have been re uploaded, and the google docs form is now live for anyone who wants something done.
I love Elzy

Offline Johan

« Reply #121 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 15:01:23 »
That keyboard is way too sexy :S
Uh, stuff.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 15:12:14 »

It's ALL MINE.

The sexiness hurts a bit when I consider how much it cost.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 19:09:59 »

It's ALL MINE.

Don't worry, it won't be the last  :))!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #124 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 19:15:19 »

It's ALL MINE.

Think of it like a top tier hooker. Yeah, its expensive, but you'll probably never get that chance again.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 July 2015, 20:08:34 by demik »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #125 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 20:05:14 »

It's ALL MINE.

Don't worry, it won't be the last  :))!

Yep, gotta sell some stuff to get a Novatouch. I actually liked it's feel more than the Realforce.

*fists raised*

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #126 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 20:56:48 »
Had the pleasure of assembling an Atreus for platypus.

Was doing some switches before pizza arrived, stock clears.

The plate makes for a great lubing station.

Was really disappointed that it wasn't blue.

Microcontroller was tough to do by hand... I ended up ruining the one platypus provided and went out and bought one to replace for him. It was only partially my fault to be honest. Oh and I didn't get any pics of doing the diodes, breezed through those super fast. I triple checked them afterwards and fixed them up to look nice, don't worry.

This was the first try.

So here was the first problem I encountered after figuring out how to upload the firmware on Windows (thanks dfj for the help xD)

I soldered on the PCB upside down... whoops. Damn symmetrical layouts.

But then while rebuilding I noticed something... there's an awful lot of flex in the PCB. The controller doesn't have enough clearance! So I thought maybe I installed it the wrong way or messed up. This is when I ruined one of the eyelets and had to go buy a new one. Thankfully there's a local store and they're not too expensive.

****ty lighting pics of my 2nd try at the controller. It got better I think... and at least it didn't take 2 hours figuring out how to program it.

Unfortunately the flex problem still persisted. I soldered it as CLOSE AS I POSSIBLY COULD to the keyboard PCB and the plate still wouldn't sit nicely! It flexes a LITTLE bit now and some switches aren't in all the way because they simply can't be... I don't know if this is just me nitpicking or what, but I normally want things to be absolutely perfect. Anyway after I couldn't figure it out I just accepted that this was the best it could get and soldered all the switches in.

It functions perfectly fine and doesn't feel strange, none of the switches visibly stick out further than the others... the glossy acrylic is a little dirty though.

I don't have DSAs so I had to throw on some DCS. The switches FeelsGoodMan. Oh and also the USB was pretty tight fit so... it means the plate and controller are seated as low as they can be.

Was probably the hardest time I ever had building a keyboard... was not expecting this much trouble haha but a good learning experience...

Also big shoutout to those who stopped by the stream :P I streamed myself assembling the Atreus today and got a few viewers, hope everyone learned something and/or had fun!

oh and no typing video for this one... way too hard.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 July 2015, 21:03:16 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #127 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 15:39:04 »
Did some cleaning of Vintage blacks, preparing to go into that red KMAC you see once I get a PCB from GON. Lubing up next once they dry.

I love Elzy

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 09:18:18 »
My "super quick" review of Sifo and the board he built (GON Acrylic TKL):

Text Review:

Background:

More
This board, along with a hopefully soon Novatouch once I sell off some of my other boards to fund it, is my endgame setup. I knew it would be my endgame the moment I saw the "original", b7ad's GON Acrylic, which this is basically a carbon copy of (sorry, no originality here). The LEDs matched my Linux terminal colours exactly, the flathead screws and the whole "fresh out of the shop" feel was perfect and it was love at first sight.

I knew that to have a perfect board I would need to assemble it properly, since GON doesn't offer assembly of acrylic. At the time I only knew of Margo's assembly services, but the lovely exchange rate and Canada's super affordable shipping rates [/sarcasm] dissuaded me from shipping to UK.

Luckily I had begun checking out geekhack at the time and saw Sifo's artisan services, so sent him a PM and the rest is history. Probably one of the best choices I've ever made (not saying I've made many good ones in my life, but beside the point).

Review

-------------

Build Quality:

More
Some credit has to go to GON for making some of the best tuned switches... ever. He's getting a bit of flak from people over delayed orders, but it says a lot about how good the man is when everyone stops complaining once they have received it. I will still wholeheartedly recommend GON, he's a very patient, great guy when you talk to him... just multiply advertised wait time by four before you make your decision.

However, I give my main credit to Sifo for assembling the board so well as to do the switches the proper justice. His attention to detail is excellent and all the switches are perfectly aligned. I know this because my BSP Olivetti, which is known for having crooked keys, is *uniformly* crooked (BSP QC is crapppp but the texture is worth the pain) when placed on. Just to be sure, I put on my Vortex set and everything lined up exactly flush.

The board's frame is assembled perfectly, screws aligned flush, alu feet level. If I *had* to nitpick one thing it's that he put the stick on rubber feet (not the ones on the alu feet, there are two other ones you put at the other end of the board) slightly misaligned, but that's just my OCD and it has no discernible effect, I just think honest reviews should cover *all* bases.

10/10

-------------

Service/Communication:

More
I think this is the most important part of "reviewing" someone - their work is important, but more important is how well they communicate and let you know about your product. In this area, Sifo gets an 11/10. He replied all my PMs and texts promptly, but what was most impressive is that he PM'd me and told me exactly how the build was going and issues he encountered.

In particular, he mentioned that the aluminum housing layers did not align flush, but he tried many times to get them to line up. I probably would have never noticed if he did not told me, though even now that I know, I don't even think about it - it's that small of an "issue". The fact that he was willing to alert me about a "negative" aspect of his work that is fairly unnoticeable was a welcome sign of honesty and one of the things I value in folks. Too many times I've been burned on Kijiji or mechmarket from people who "forget" to mention minor defects - even though they make no difference, I really value full disclosure and I do it in all my own sales.

Furthermore, during our correspondence, I realized I forgot to ask him to clip the stabilizers, after he had finished assembling. He willingly went back and figured out a way to clip them (luckily, GON's plate design is genius and he was able to avoid desoldering), and even lubed the wires with his own lube. Best part was he did it all free of charge, notifying me right away when it was finished.

11/10 Son of a ***** even let me try his TH600 when I came to pick up my board!  :thumb:

-------------

The board itself (feel, use, look, software):

More
Acrylic is one of those materials that don't look great... until you light it up with LEDs. It's the main reason I chose acrylic (also, to save money T_T). In that respect, when the board is on full LED, it is god-tier. I'm huge on aesthetics and this board satisfies me completely.

Feel-wise, the switches are stellar. I was extremely impressed by Topre at the meetup, but I still think Ergo-clear 62g wins my heart. It's still not quite as "smooth/buttery" as Topre, but it just feels so... right. Where Topre gives each individual press a great feel, Ergo-Clears feel effortless - I can maintain a typing rhythm much better and the feel of the smooth lubed switch accompanied by the satisfying "clack" of the downstroke... Amazing. I still notice no difference with stickers, but it came included with the switch, and it doesn't make it feel worse, so can't complain.

The frame itself feels really good. Even though it's acrylic, there's a hefty weight to it, about the same as my TEX aluminum Poker II. There is some slight flex if you push super hard on the middle, but then again, so does my Cherry G80-3000 at work. I never actually type that hard to create that flex anyway. During normal (and even fast typing), the frame is rock solid, with no flex at all.

My only gripe is it's really freaking hard to find linux support for NerD_config and the board seems to have problem when booting directly into linux through syslinux. Probably affects only 0.1% of us since the rest of you are windows using plebs, but just something to keep in mind if you have read this far and are deciding on getting a GON.

9.5/10

-------------

Pics:

Still waiting on Ivan's R4 PBT and exchange rate to go down so I can get some doubleshot keys from elitekeyboards.

I love this board so much I took it to work for a long typing session. I've used it for about two days now, long enough to get a feel for it.

More

tl;dr: If you are in GTA and are incurably lazy like me or don't have good soldering equipment, Sifo is a superb choice for your assembly services.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 July 2015, 09:19:55 by ttzhou »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #129 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 16:18:53 »
Lubed 87 switches in 1.75 hours... not bad? Stock lubed vintage blacks.

Any buyers for this beauty once I get a PCB for it?

I love Elzy

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #130 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 17:18:11 »

Show Image

Show Image

*Messaging intensifies*

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #131 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 22:45:59 »

Show Image

Show Image

Sell me the housing  ;).

Offline filphil

« Reply #132 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 00:30:09 »

Show Image

Show Image

Sell me the housing  ;).

But... I want the board from sifo :(
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 July 2015, 00:32:29 by filphil »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #133 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 01:41:43 »
Now that the KMAC is taken care of (at least for now I don't have to worry about it until gon gets moving)

I have a super interesting and  cool project I wanna work on. Will probably put up a thread in making stuff together forum... if it's doable. Something that'll make cpt real proud, but shocked and possibly disgusted at the same time. But probably not gonna happen cuz I'm lazy :D
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 July 2015, 18:14:35 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline filphil

« Reply #134 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 19:05:18 »
Now that the KMAC is taken care of (at least for now I don't have to worry about it until gon gets moving)

I have a super interesting and  cool project I wanna work on. Will probably put up a thread in making stuff together forum... if it's doable. Something that'll make cpt real proud, but shocked and possibly disgusted at the same time. But probably not gonna happen cuz I'm lazy :D

I believe in you. 

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #135 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 15:21:42 »
I finally bought a tripod adapter for my phone guys, it only took me a year and a half! Now my pictures won't be nearly as **** and I can use it instead of my webcam for when I'm streaming/recording videos :)
I love Elzy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 21:35:41 »
http://sifo.ca

More
i'm too lazy lol don't expect much
I love Elzy

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 21:36:13 »
at least you got the domain name  :cool:

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #138 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 21:39:48 »
Soooooon. :))

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 07:27:14 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

damn
this is a board I've been thinking of trying to organise post MGSV, it looks really really nice

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #140 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 21:27:43 »
I'm back again now that TI is over...

Still taking orders, I do have a phantom build incoming.

Also follow my stream where I stream all my builds :D should be desoldering my GON very soon :)

http://twitch.sifo.ca
I love Elzy

Offline filphil

« Reply #141 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 22:55:48 »
I'm back again now that TI is over...

Still taking orders, I do have a phantom build incoming.

Also follow my stream where I stream all my builds :D should be desoldering my GON very soon :)

Let me know when you build the KMAC so that I can watch.  I'll pm you

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 13:35:36 »

Some Phantom stuff here, just waiting on the final components. Sky Blue LEDs are going in the GON.

Will stream KMAC NerD PCB prep once I deliver this Atreus! Should be short stream today, all I have to do are diodes.
I love Elzy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 14:28:08 »

hate this hobby
I love Elzy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 15:49:19 »
going out and then when I'm home I'll stream hopefully the entire kmac build. no eta I've got a lot of errands
I love Elzy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 19:15:04 »
Stream cancelled, am missing some stuff :P silly me. Tomorrow I try!
I love Elzy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #146 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 18:17:12 »
BUILDING THIS KMAC HELL YEA

I love Elzy

Offline mbrown559

« Reply #147 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 18:53:22 »
Sifo, your work is amazing.  I wish I lived in Canadaland just so you could work on my boards lol.  I also saw you on tenfastfingers the otherday.. Man you are fast  :eek:.  I'm stuck around ~120 wpm.

I look forward to watching the stream of the kmac.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #148 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 22:27:09 »
lol kmac a bit of a train wreck but we did it!
I love Elzy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: [CANADA] Sifo's Keyboard Services! (Taking a break)
« Reply #149 on: Sun, 06 September 2015, 22:41:58 »

Finished up Phantom.

Fixed my KMAC...

I'm on break for a bit guys :P
I love Elzy