Author Topic: [TMK] HHKB Alt Controller with Mini-B/Type-C connector  (Read 520131 times)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
Re: [TMK] HHKB Alt Controller
« Reply #300 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 18:00:15 »
Hi hasu,

Do you have plan to release a version with USB-C port? I broke the usb mini port again and now trying to re soldering it...

Hi Xe0n0,
No plan on USB-C, HHKB case is not compatible with Type-C unless you are willing to file connector hole.

sounds terrible :(
Email me if you want me to fix it or send component. I'm happy to help.
Or you can post pic of your controller here and let me think how I can help.

Offline tkim

« Reply #301 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 14:34:26 »
Thanks Hasu for your work on this pcb

I actually noticed that the adafruit 2000 has been out of a stock for a while.

I managed to buy a 1000mah battery from this online retailer (located in Germany)

http://www.exp-tech.de/polymer-lithium-ion-battery-1000mah

But since the cable was a bit short I have a bit of the battery overlapping the PCB  :-[ I'm guessing this shouldn't be done?

My only option is to go with this battery

http://www.exp-tech.de/lipo-akku-2000mah

but the dimensions are : 73mm x 50mm x 5mm

Could this be an issue? or alternatively is there somewhere in Germany I can purchase this battery without paying a shipping cost that exceeds the cost of the initial battery?

Have you tried aliexpress, free epacket shipping to Germany... all the sizes of the battery you could want ;)

Thank for the advice, I will try this website, currently still trying to figure out how to display the remaining battery using HID Listen - it just prompts with "Waiting for device..."

:-X

I noticed that it will detect the keyboard over USB but no luck over BT, so basically the battery voltage is showing what the board is receiving over USB, so I still can't tell how much charge is left in the lipo battery
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 January 2017, 05:56:06 by tkim »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #302 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 21:44:57 »
I noticed that it will detect the keyboard over USB but no luck over BT, so basically the battery voltage is showing what the board is receiving over USB, so I still can't tell how much charge is left in the lipo battery

Yes, hid_listen needs USB connection. I had read voltage via serial on PD0 pin during debug/developement without USB connection. In normal operation you cannot read battery voltage.

In battery powered BT mode power LED lights red when battery is low.

Offline testplsignore

• I am one with the Cup Rubber...
« Reply #303 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 05:31:38 »
Hey Hasu,

I've got your BT controller on it's way to me from 1UP Keyboards!

Have you thought about adding a bluetooth switcher to a future revision?
Something like the Filco Majestouch Convertible, where you can press a key combo and then 1-4 to choose from 4 devices?

Also, have you considered / is it possible to ever have a controller for other realforce keyboards like the 87U?

Realforce 10AE 45g Type-S & 55g    HHKB BT & Type-S    Realforce RGB Hype-S    FC980C    FC660C    Filco BT TKL

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #304 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 19:21:42 »
Hi testplsignore,
yes, I'll do if new module supports the function. But current module has no such feature unfortunately.

In general every Realforce has one large PCB and it would cost much to replace the PCB, plus controller have to do capacitive sensing. It is still possible and intriguing to me.

This project used modified original PCB but my TMK firmware sensing capacitive switches by itself. With this we can desgin our own PCB for Realforce to control by our own firmware.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=76040.msg1894368#msg1894368

Offline IonutZ

• Stay awhile and listen
    • SC
« Reply #305 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 06:16:52 »
Hi testplsignore,
yes, I'll do if new module supports the function. But current module has no such feature unfortunately.

In general every Realforce has one large PCB and it would cost much to replace the PCB, plus controller have to do capacitive sensing. It is still possible and intriguing to me.

This project used modified original PCB but my TMK firmware sensing capacitive switches by itself. With this we can desgin our own PCB for Realforce to control by our own firmware.

There is a big demand for a FC660C controller that will run your firmware. There are a bunch of people asking for it ;D whenever you have time that is!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Laser

« Reply #306 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 11:31:19 »

Also, it would be "more than awesome" to port TMK firmware on a Novatouch (Topre PCB) keyboard ... there are some resources about its build/firmware aspects, here:

- http://vekkt0r.github.io/articles/novatouch-tkl-reverse-engineering-part-1/
 - http://vekkt0r.github.io/articles/novatouch-tkk-reverse-engineering-part-2/

And it's possible to reflash a modified firmware, in certain cases using just the default USB connection (2nd method here):

- https://github.com/vekkt0r/novatools (and also the "Issue 1" thread)

Offline Xe0n0

« Reply #307 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 13:35:28 »
Hi hasu,

Do you have plan to release a version with USB-C port? I broke the usb mini port again and now trying to re soldering it...

Hi Xe0n0,
No plan on USB-C, HHKB case is not compatible with Type-C unless you are willing to file connector hole.

Thanks for offering help : ) I just bought the usb-type-c mod for hhkb by manisteinn (https://github.com/manisteinn/usb-type-c-hhkb) and trying to change the port to usb-c. I would not be hesitated to buy two boards from you again if you offer usb-c moded board with this mod!

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #308 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 23:05:46 »
Hi testplsignore,

There is a big demand for a FC660C controller that will run your firmware. There are a bunch of people asking for it ;D whenever you have time that is!!!

I placed a bit for FC660C on Yahoo auction but failed to get it the other day :( I'll try again when I can find it. I guess it is not so difficult to design controller for the keyboard because it is very similar to HHKB basically.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #309 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 23:37:32 »

Also, it would be "more than awesome" to port TMK firmware on a Novatouch (Topre PCB) keyboard ... there are some resources about its build/firmware aspects, here:

- http://vekkt0r.github.io/articles/novatouch-tkl-reverse-engineering-part-1/
 - http://vekkt0r.github.io/articles/novatouch-tkk-reverse-engineering-part-2/

And it's possible to reflash a modified firmware, in certain cases using just the default USB connection (2nd method here):

- https://github.com/vekkt0r/novatools (and also the "Issue 1" thread)

Yeah, I saw it on DT. It is really great resource for people who want to mod their Novatouch. I hope users of this hack can reward vekkt0r for his great job in some form and he can keep it updated.

Seems that porting TMK to MSP430 requires someone falimiliar to the architecture and  some time because ChibiOS on MSP430 doesn't support USB driver yet.

Offline testplsignore

« Reply #310 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 03:03:17 »
An FC660C BT controller would be awesome!

btw: I think the bluetooth module used by both the Filco Convertible and the PFU HHKB BT is the Broadcom BCM20730
I'm not sure if the switching is handled by the bluetooth module or some other other controller. The Filco supports switching via key combo, but the HHKB BT doesn't...

Realforce 10AE 45g Type-S & 55g    HHKB BT & Type-S    Realforce RGB Hype-S    FC980C    FC660C    Filco BT TKL

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #311 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 21:12:53 »
Updated repository and firmware of keymap editor to fix USB startup problem of BT controller on MacOS. See this for detail. https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/issues/407

If you have problem with BT controller on MacOS/OSX try the new firmware. USB controller is not affected with this problem.

Thanks

Offline testplsignore

« Reply #312 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 01:07:24 »
I was having this problem, was about to post here so thanks for the update!

Will the web editor use the new firmware when it generates the hex file?

Otherwise, whats the best way to convert a hex generated by the web tool to use the new firmware?

I was able to make my own firmware using terminal, but I'm not too sure how to export my custom keymap from the webtool to the ".c" file used when building the firmware manually.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #313 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 06:16:39 »
To load your keymap select your hex file in file chooser of "Base Firmware File:" section and then push "Load Keymap from firmware" button. You will see your keymap on keymap editor at this point. Next, check radio button "Select" and select your controller("HHKB Pro1/Pro2 Controller Bluetooth"?) to download the latest firmware.

Bookmarking "Share URL" on your browser may be a simple and easy way to keep your keymap for later update.

You can get C source at "Keymap Output(for debug):" section and you can use it to compile firmware with small change probably. But The C source is comprised of only hexadicimal digits and is not useful for manual editing at this point at least.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #314 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 08:33:07 »
I apologize if this was already covered and I missed it, but can you use any unprotected battery of the proper voltage or must it have its own protection pcb?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #315 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 19:00:29 »
I apologize if this was already covered and I missed it, but can you use any unprotected battery of the proper voltage or must it have its own protection pcb?

Yes, you must use Li-ion battery with protection circuit. See "Bluetooth Battery" of "MANUAL" section in first post for detail.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #316 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 17:14:17 »
Is there anyone uses BT controller via Bluetooth with MacOS Sierra 10.12 successfully?
Or let me know if you have any problem with the OS.

Offline testplsignore

« Reply #317 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 05:24:13 »
I was able to learn how to compile the firmware myself and I even got macros working!  :thumb:

I was having the problem on OSX 10.11.6 El Capitan, and it's fixed for me!

Offline DannyHuynh

« Reply #318 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 17:24:19 »
Is there anyone uses BT controller via Bluetooth with MacOS Sierra 10.12 successfully?
Or let me know if you have any problem with the OS.

Bluetooth work perfectly on MacOS Sierra 10.12.2.
However, the USB connection is really slow, I work around this by turning on the controller in Bluetooth mode, connect the cable, and turn it off, way faster than waiting for the Mac to recognize the keyboard via USB

Offline DRAZAH

• Hype-S
« Reply #319 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 09:31:16 »
 I apologize in advance if this does not apply (or makes no sense) but there was a discussion recently on other forums about Input Latency and keyboards. Does this hasu controller affect the input latency of the HHKB? Is it an improvement or no? Or does it not even effect the input latency?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #320 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 06:13:01 »
Link to the discussion?

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Offline DRAZAH

• Hype-S
« Reply #321 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 09:18:38 »
http://www.overclock.net/t/1622066/realkey-keyboards

Also another discussion from the same OP with similar topic. It just got me curious about my HHKB, I did some tests with my stock board, was going to get a HASU and see if that changed anything.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #322 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 21:41:46 »
I don't know how to measure overall latency but I do know scan rate. Topre original controller of HHKB Pro2 takes around 15ms to scan all 64(8x8) keys in matrix, and TMK Alt controler simulates it at almost same rate.

BTW, JP scans all 128(16x8) keys in same 15ms, so 'scan speed per key' is twice faster than Pro2. Pro2 has baiscally equivalent chips in terms of speed I think Pro2 can also scan at same speed of JP.

Offline Xeonxu

« Reply #323 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 18:42:07 »
Hi Hasu,

Is there any plan to develop hasu controller for hhkb bt?

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #324 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 19:30:51 »
No plan.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Offline Xeonxu

« Reply #325 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 00:30:08 »
No plan.

Sent from my Nexus 5X
Sad. Looks like sell my hhkb bt is a better way.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #326 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 01:23:07 »
Check this. Novatouch is similar in terms of microcontroller. https://github.com/vekkt0r/novatools

This guy is a real hacker and I believe he or she can hack HHKB BT. Throw a lot of money or contribute the board on this person.

This is the best way to make BT programmable.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #327 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 22:44:07 »
Check this. Novatouch is similar in terms of microcontroller. https://github.com/vekkt0r/novatools

This guy is a real hacker and I believe he or she can hack HHKB BT. Throw a lot of money or contribute the board on this person.

This is the best way to make BT programmable.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Very cool reads on the NT reverse engineering by him/her: http://vekkt0r.github.io/tags/#keyboards

Nice find!

Offline mmdango

« Reply #328 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 15:19:57 »
Hi guys! (I think I posted this on the wrong thread earlier)
System control is not supported
        It can't send Power, Wake and Sleep keys.
Not sure if this above quote is relevant, but...

I currently have the DIP switch 6 on for my HHKB which allows me to wake up my mac using the HHKB. Will the BT controller affect that functionality? If it's relevant, I am on Sierra OSx 10.12.2.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #329 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 00:23:15 »

I currently have the DIP switch 6 on for my HHKB which allows me to wake up my mac using the HHKB. Will the BT controller affect that functionality? If it's relevant, I am on Sierra OSx 10.12.2.

At least, on Linux(Ubuntu) and Windows 10 you can wake up your computer by pressing any key in USB mode(with Bluetooth is turned off). I think it works also with Mac but I don't have the OS. Anyone with Mac can confirm it?

System control keys is not related to whether you can wake up computer, in this case.

Offline naut

• Aerospace Engineer
« Reply #330 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 07:47:04 »

At least, on Linux(Ubuntu) and Windows 10 you can wake up your computer by pressing any key in USB mode(with Bluetooth is turned off). I think it works also with Mac but I don't have the OS. Anyone with Mac can confirm it?

System control keys is not related to whether you can wake up computer, in this case.

Wake up from sleep works for me in both usb mode and in bluetooth mode. I'm on Sierra 10.12.3.

Offline mmdango

« Reply #331 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 23:50:04 »

Wake up from sleep works for me in both usb mode and in bluetooth mode. I'm on Sierra 10.12.3.

Sweet! Thanks so much

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #332 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 00:51:16 »
Is there any reason not to bluetooth a Pro non-2?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #333 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 01:44:00 »
Is there any reason not to bluetooth a Pro non-2?

No reason technically but I never heard request from users of it. USB is enough for them including me.

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #334 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 13:36:56 »
Hi testplsignore,

+1 - would buy one in a jiffy if there's one for a FC660C

Offline testplsignore

« Reply #335 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 15:34:47 »
++1

A Hasu BT FC660C 'Hype-S' would be god tier level for me.

I'd buy the controller in an instant.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #336 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 15:51:50 »
I changed mind and got FC660C today :thumb:
Subscribe this thread I'll post there if you are interested.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54222.0

Offline testplsignore

« Reply #337 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 05:13:39 »
Yes! :))

The only thing that might be interesting is that the FC660C doesn't have the USB slots that can be used for the LEDs and BT switch.

There is the space used for the DIP switches on the bottom, would it ever be possible to use a small vibration motor to indicate various things? Maybe an old iPod style clicker?

Either way, looking forward to where this goes!

Offline IonutZ

• Stay awhile and listen
    • SC
« Reply #338 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 05:46:38 »
Lmao hasu I was gonna buy you a FC660C :D been looking around to see if i can snag one for cheap to send to you

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #339 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 09:06:48 »
This is very exciting! You are the best, Hasu! ^-^
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #340 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 13:18:57 »

Damnnnnn this is awesome! Subscribed and watching!

Offline dailyherold

« Reply #341 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 23:43:01 »
Hi hasu,

Hi Xe0n0,

Thanks for offering help : ) I just bought the usb-type-c mod for hhkb by manisteinn (https://github.com/manisteinn/usb-type-c-hhkb) and trying to change the port to usb-c. I would not be hesitated to buy two boards from you again if you offer usb-c moded board with this mod!

Any luck on this? Looks like a pretty solid mod, and if you got it to work with Hasu's controller...verrrry cool!

Offline IDN

« Reply #342 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 11:26:58 »
Is it possible to have NKRO over USB on the BT controller? If it is, how to enable it?
Thanks

Offline clorex

« Reply #343 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 20:20:15 »
Is the JP BT controller in stock?

Has anyone installed this controller on an HHKB Pro JP before? I'm a bit worried about drilling holes into the case as I've never done this kind of thing before.
Any pics or advice on how to do it? (And I don't suppose I could buy an original HHKB Pro 2 case anywhere?)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #344 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 22:50:10 »
Is the JP BT controller in stock?

Has anyone installed this controller on an HHKB Pro JP before? I'm a bit worried about drilling holes into the case as I've never done this kind of thing before.
Any pics or advice on how to do it? (And I don't suppose I could buy an original HHKB Pro 2 case anywhere?)

Yes, it can be ready in a day or two.

I guess someone with Pro2 and USB controller may be willing to swap case for JP one.

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #345 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 00:57:11 »
I'm having some latency sometimes when I'm pressing multiple keys on my bt controller. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes it will fail to register when I try to press like 3 keys at once. (cmd + alt + arrow that I mapped to the lower right) for example. Is there a way to increase the scan rate or something? I might try reverting to the regular board to see if that's just the bt board having issues though, I got this hhkb in a trade that came with a hasu controller preinstalled. Thanks!

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #346 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 01:53:00 »
I'm having some latency sometimes when I'm pressing multiple keys on my bt controller. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes it will fail to register when I try to press like 3 keys at once. (cmd + alt + arrow that I mapped to the lower right) for example. Is there a way to increase the scan rate or something? I might try reverting to the regular board to see if that's just the bt board having issues though, I got this hhkb in a trade that came with a hasu controller preinstalled. Thanks!

Assuming you are using Pro2, so you press 4 keys actually including Fn to register the key combo, right? And it would be helpful to narrow possible causes and debug if you can share your keymap.

This latency happens with Bluetooth, USB or both? And you are using it on Mac, right?

Could you try this patch? This doesn't increase scan rate but may solve or mitigates the issue.
Code: [Select]
diff --git a/tmk_core/common/keyboard.c b/tmk_core/common/keyboard.c
index b031936..6057ea1 100644
--- a/tmk_core/common/keyboard.c
+++ b/tmk_core/common/keyboard.c
@@ -137,8 +137,10 @@ void keyboard_task(void)
                     hook_matrix_change(e);
                     // record a processed key
                     matrix_prev[r] ^= ((matrix_row_t)1<<c);
+
+                    // This can miss stroke when scan matrix takes long like Topre
                     // process a key per task call
-                    goto MATRIX_LOOP_END;
+                    //goto MATRIX_LOOP_END;
                 }
             }
         }

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #347 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 01:57:50 »
And you can increase scan rate with this patch, but not tested throughly and I don't recommend.
Try patch in previous post, first.
diff --git a/keyboard/hhkb/matrix.c b/keyboard/hhkb/matrix.c
index 08721fc..62f73c4 100644
--- a/keyboard/hhkb/matrix.c
+++ b/keyboard/hhkb/matrix.c
@@ -125,7 +125,7 @@ uint8_t matrix_scan(void)
             // or it can drop keys in fast key typing
             _delay_us(30);
 #else
-            _delay_us(75);
+            _delay_us(30);
 #endif
         }
         if (matrix[row] ^ matrix_prev[row]) matrix_last_modified = timer_read32();

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #348 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 11:36:10 »
Thank you for your quick reply - my current keyboard configuration looks like this: http://imgur.com/a/kzD9Y. I've taken your advice and recompiled the firmware without the goto. It seems way more responsive now. It was lagging on both USB and bluetooth before this. I'll post here if anything arises, otherwise I think the fix totally works!

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #349 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 11:39:22 »

Assuming you are using Pro2, so you press 4 keys actually including Fn to register the key combo, right? And it would be helpful to narrow possible causes and debug if you can share your keymap.

This latency happens with Bluetooth, USB or both? And you are using it on Mac, right?

Could you try this patch? This doesn't increase scan rate but may solve or mitigates the issue.
diff --git a/tmk_core/common/keyboard.c b/tmk_core/common/keyboard.c
index b031936..6057ea1 100644
--- a/tmk_core/common/keyboard.c
+++ b/tmk_core/common/keyboard.c
@@ -137,8 +137,10 @@ void keyboard_task(void)
                     hook_matrix_change(e);
                     // record a processed key
                     matrix_prev[r] ^= ((matrix_row_t)1<<c);
+
+                    // This can miss stroke when scan matrix takes long like Topre
                     // process a key per task call
-                    goto MATRIX_LOOP_END;
+                    //goto MATRIX_LOOP_END;
                 }
             }
         }
Welp, the lag is still there sometimes. Yes, 4 key combos misses sometimes. I'm currently using 3 keys, and it seems better, but it still misses occasionally. I'm going to try to increase the scan rate too to test how it goes. (probably not to 30, 60 seems like a safe bet at the moment). Thanks! PS: yes I'm on a Mac

Edit: Identified a problem - if i press both cmd and alt at almost the same time, and press <- or -> , it fails to register correctly. Must be the way the keyscans work, will poke through the code afterwards.
Edit2: Realized that NKRO doesn't work over bluetooth, LOL. Will test again on USB when I get back from outside.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 March 2017, 12:20:18 by johnthedong »