Author Topic: [TMK] HHKB Alt Controller with Mini-B/Type-C connector  (Read 520139 times)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
Re: [TMK] HHKB Alt Controller
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 05:08:14 »
You can use PD1 and  PD2 located on next to push button. You can control two LED with those two pins, just connect resister and LED between the pin and GND. PD1 and PD2 can be handled with 'PORTD' and 'DDRD' register in firmware. There are also other unused pins available but not easy to use like those pins.

Schematic is available here.
https://github.com/tmk/HHKB_controller/blob/master/schematic/HHKB_controller_revG.pdf

Offline Laser

« Reply #151 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 05:21:34 »
That's really great, thanks for all the information! (Looking on the OP image, looks like PD0 and PD1 pins) :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 January 2016, 06:19:07 by Laser »

Offline WesleyFE20

« Reply #152 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 04:06:13 »
Would it be safe for the charging controller to connect two or three adafruit batteries in parallel? I saw a pic on imgur, and it kind of got me curious.

Link to imgur post: http://m.imgur.com/gallery/skOVz

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #153 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 04:44:36 »
i think it is not safe in general or bad practice at least. don't do this with normal lipo battery.

but to be honest I'm not expert and not completely sure about how his setup works and battery spec.

Offline Siraj

« Reply #154 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 05:15:37 »
Hey Hasu,

I wasn't sure if your USB controller would allow me to program my HHKB to Colemak and allow the Control button to be Backspace?
Thanks

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 11:45:23 »
Hey Hasu,

I wasn't sure if your USB controller would allow me to program my HHKB to Colemak and allow the Control button to be Backspace?
Thanks

You can remap HHKB to Colemak and no problem on the backspace with this controller.

Offline ajx

« Reply #156 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 05:49:15 »
Hello Hasu, is there any way to make Shift key as toggled shift, i mean i want permanent shift
Thanks

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #157 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 07:34:03 »
there is no modifier toggle you will have to define your own action function in your keymap file.

or you may use tap toggle modifier for this perhaps.

https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/tmk_core/doc/keymap.md#44-tap-toggle-mods

Offline ajx

« Reply #158 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 09:04:15 »
Ok thanks, by the way, could Hasu's controller cause disconnection from usb?
I have sometimes but its pretty rare, my keyboard is stuck, any command/keys seems to work, i have to disconnect usb cable then connect it again and it eventually works

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #159 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 11:41:35 »
I have not had it long time but 'unresponsiveness' can occur with unknown bug, misconfigured keymap or hardware failure. If it occurs during typing it would be likely keymap or firmware bug.

Offline ajx

« Reply #160 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 12:19:17 »
I dont know, it happens just very recently, i came from work and booted my computer up and the keyboard didn't seem to respond, disconnect the usb cable and connect it again its the only way i ve managed to make keyboard running again
What is the latest firmware from TMK (i use the TMK editor btw)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #161 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 22:32:46 »
It sounds to me like USB conformity problem of firmware. I've not tested it thoroughly on warm boot and cold boot(power on).
I guess it has problem with some hardware with new USB3 host or specific BIOS/UEFI. What is your PC(it has USB3 interface?) and OS?

Offline ajx

« Reply #162 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 12:08:26 »
Yes its usb3 interface, Windows 10 64 bits
Maybe its because i have two usb keyboards plugged at same time?
As far as i know, rare bug which keyboard doesnt seem to respond
Maybe a defect usb cable?

Offline wodan

« Reply #163 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 14:38:37 »
Heya any idea when you get new PCBs ?
I want one :)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #164 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 18:05:40 »
I have plenty of PCB now but lack of MCU is current problem. MCUs were ordered from China several weeks ago but not delivered yet.
I'm thinking about order them from reliable US distributer which costs more inevitably.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #165 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 18:25:09 »
I have a question about programming the keyboard in particular about macros and how many of them you can have. If I'm reading the documentation correctly it looks like the number of macros you can define is limited by the number of FN Keys (32) which is really limiting for what I really want to do.

What I want is multiple layers full of macros. For instance lets say I want an Eclipse macro layer where I program LayerKey+f to mean open a File. Then lets say I want another layer defined for lets say Emacs where LayerKey+f would open a file. Then another layer for Vi where LayerKey+f would open a file and so on. If I'm limited to 32 keys for Macros I can't do something like this. So please tell me I'm missing something or is there another way of doing this.

Oh by the way Love the controler and the possibilities it opens.

Thanks
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #166 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 18:44:38 »
rdjack21,
youre right, it is limited to 32 in keymap framework unfortunately. If this is not enough you can actionmap framework which has no the 32-limitation. In actionmap you can define 256 macros, if this is not enough it is time to write your own firmware.

Try this 'actionmap' branch and you can find actionmap examples under keyboard/alps64/.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/tree/actionmap

EDIT: Note that actiomap uses 16-bit action codes instead of 8-bit keycodes this inflates your key mapping space twice in flash. Firmware is already bloated fairly this may cause short of flash memory.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 March 2016, 18:51:08 by hasu »

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #167 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 21:14:38 »
rdjack21,
youre right, it is limited to 32 in keymap framework unfortunately. If this is not enough you can actionmap framework which has no the 32-limitation. In actionmap you can define 256 macros, if this is not enough it is time to write your own firmware.

Try this 'actionmap' branch and you can find actionmap examples under keyboard/alps64/.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/tree/actionmap

256 macros should be plenty for what I want to do seeing that I'm only looking to do two layers for this. Thanks for the link I will take a look. Not really wanting to write my own firmware and to be honest I have not touched C code in a very long time but really should look at it again as I do miss a good compiled language.

EDIT: Note that actiomap uses 16-bit action codes instead of 8-bit keycodes this inflates your key mapping space twice in flash. Firmware is already bloated fairly this may cause short of flash memory.

How tight are we talking about and how can I figure out where I'm at space wise?

Thanks
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE

Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #168 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 21:57:00 »
In end of build process you get output like below. This indicates firmware size in flash memory, in this case 21416(0x53a8) bytes in total(text+data+bss).
You will get error in build or flash program process if all of flash memroy is exhausted. You have to give up some of features like NKRO, mousekeys or debug console in that case.
The controller's available flash memory size is  24KB or 24576 bytes becuase 4KB out of 32KB flash is occupied by bootloader.

Size after:
   text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
  21178      56     182   21416    53a8 hhkb_lufa.elf

-------- end --------

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #169 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 22:08:05 »
Sounds good.. Question is there any plan to merge master into the actionmap branch? I noticed that it has not been updated in a while and some of the updates added more features for macros. I have a few things I need to finish off then I'm going to start working on getting this working for what I want.

Thanks for getting me going and pointing me in the right direction.

EDIT: Just noticed I really need to update my signature my collection has changed considerably from when I used to be active way back when...
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 March 2016, 22:11:12 by rdjack21 »
Keyboards

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #170 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 22:57:24 »
Ah, I have forgot to update the branch and cannot update it now due to rebasing. Instead I pushed new 'actionmap2' branch  from my local.
Anyway, I'll merge it into master after some tests soon.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 13:19:17 »
I'm on the road and away from home unexpectedly, shipping for some of orders will be delayed until Monday. And I cannot check and reply to inquiry mails until then.
Thank you for your patience.

Offline Bklyn11209

« Reply #172 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 09:07:03 »
Hi,

Is the USB Pro2 (PD-KB400) still available for sale?

Thanks!

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #173 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 21:35:13 »
Yes, components for all variants are back in stock now. Lead time to ship will be less than a week.
Thanks

« Reply #174 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 13:15:29 »
Sent you a PM about a bluetooth controller!

Offline ajx

« Reply #175 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 02:59:34 »
Hey Hasu, in your TMK Editor

Momentary switching with Tap Toggle

By default, number of taps is set at 5 which i think its too much
Does it possible to reduce at 2 without passing on manual editing layout?

Thanks

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #176 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 05:04:27 »
You have to compile firmware to change the parameter unfortunately.

I still think 5 is good for me, because I rarely use toggle and With 2 I had unintentional toggle.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #177 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 01:24:58 »
Hi,
I have to revise price of controllers due to rising cost of chips in short supply and recent exchange rate of JPY. I'll increase the prices soon in a week or so.

You will be able to save a few bucks by placing an order early.

Thanks.

Offline joric

« Reply #178 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 04:18:18 »
Got my Bluetooth controller today, blazing fast - a week from Japan is very impressive I've never received local shipments in a less than a week, regards to Hasu. Of course, neither of those batteries I ordered in China haven't arrived yet, so I had to use 1200 mAh battery from Varmilo BT87M. Figures Varmilo battery has wrong polarity, which I discovered shortly after plugging it in (luckily I didn't kill the board). Had to switch the wires on Varmilo battery connector (it's safe, there are special latches). Varmilo battery is somewhat longer than suggested ones but it sits on top of the controller and the case assembles just fine.

Is it possible to change behavior of LED's via firmware update? They always glow in bluetooth mode, that seems kind of wasteful (guess that's 20 to 40 mA combined). I'd prefer one of them off in bluetooth mode an the other one to blink briefly, as on most bluetooth devices.

Upd: Just noticed power LED is actually off most of the time. So how to make Bluetooth LED blink when connected, like 100 ms every 2000ms? I'm not really sure yet how to do that after skimming through the code. I don't quite get how those dualcolor LEDs work and which port is which, tried to replace status_led(true) with status_led((timer_read32()%2000)<100); in rn42_task.c - it blinks yellow but still glows red.

Upd2: I've just noticed Varmilo battery is Li-ion (it's written there and visible on the picture) not Li-Po (Li-Ions offer less energy, leak voltage and cheaper by 10-30%). So probably not suitable from the start. Also the case bulges, so a bit oversized too (Li-Po batteries also smaller at the same capacity).
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 April 2016, 23:44:11 by joric »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #179 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 17:16:33 »
Thanks for the headsup!
Yea, some battery has reverse polarity on its connector for some reason, I'll have to add a notice in the first post.

Green(yellow) one can be controlled with status_led() of rn42_task.c via PE6. Red one of BT LED is connected to GPIO5 of Bluetooth module directly and not controllable from firmware, you can remove resistor R25 to stop lighting it. Or perhaps you can change the module configuration by a command(S% maybe?).  Using hid_listen tool you can enter RN42 configuration mode by magic key combo LShift+RShift+Delete. Before tweaking configuration check RN42 manuals carefully.
http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/RN42
3.1.4 Disabling Output Drivers
Use the S%,1000 command to set all GPIO pins (0 to 11) to inputs. This command also
turns off the FireFly adapter LED (GPIO5). Refer to “GPIO Commands” on page 37 for
more information on using commands to control the GPIO pins.
See http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/bluetooth_cr_UG-v1.0r.pdf

Offline joric

« Reply #180 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 22:31:43 »
I broke that controller at the first day! RN42 became unresponsive for a while (LED is gone, it didn't pair anymore and hung in command mode). After a few hours of cursing I've fixed it with a hardware reset using a flat screwdriver on RST pins - shorted them, powered the bluetooth on, kept it for a second, then a couple of times more (ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON, as in manual, apparently that works). Then hid_listen, ScrollLock, 20 seconds and pairing and it finally worked. The LED is back and I really glad to see it this time. Guess that "S%,1000" is deadly, it writes statuses to ROM - it can be done temporarily with S@. It also may help with power saving: "GPIO2 and GPIO5 are driven by the embedded software as outputs. You can disable them using the direction command (for example to save power)". And probably it's worth to route that pin (LED at GPIO5) through atmega, rather than hardwire it. Anyway, I'm glad bluetooth works again.

Upd: Probably because of that (I essentially disabled both GPIO2 and GPIO5 at once, so RN42 was always "linked"):

bool rn42_linked(void)
{
    // RN-42 GPIO2
    //   Hi-Z:  Not powered
    //   High:  Linked
    //   Low:   Connecting
    return PINF&(1<<6);
}
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 April 2016, 23:54:45 by joric »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #181 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 02:36:40 »
Good to hear that factory reset(F.RST) worked for you! And thanks for good instruction image.
I myself failed to do factory reset before for some reason :D Maybe toggle timing is important.

According to manual "S%,1000" should change only GPIO5 keeping other GPIOs intact. wierd.

Offline joric

« Reply #182 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 14:09:08 »
According to manual "S%,1000" should change only GPIO5 keeping other GPIOs intact. wierd.

From the manual:

3.1.4 Disabling Output Drivers
Use the S%,1000 command to set all GPIO pins (0 to 11) to inputs. This command also turns off the FireFly adapter LED (GPIO5).

GPIO Commands say nothing about 3.1.4 but there is a formula: PARAMETER[15:0] = MASK[7...0]<<8 || VALUE[7..0]
So, to turn off just GPIO5 that would be: (1<<5)*256 + (1<<5)*0 = 1000h, but I guess it also disables all output drivers, whatever that means.
I just tried S%,1000 in the config mode and effectively killed the board the second time, couldn't get access to command mode after that, had to reset again.
NB! It seems that to reset BT you have to unplug USB, switch BT on, short the F.RST and then plug USB back keeping F.RST shorted for a second.
Skipping rn42_linked() doesn't seem to help, maybe someone will investigate. I only have this controller for a couple of days.
S@,1000 had no effect whatsoever (even in the middle of the init_rn42() sequence). I'd be really glad to turn that freaking LED off...
In fact, there are 2 leds in bluetooth mode (red+green=orange) + one led when the battery is low, so 3 leds combined, 45-60 ma overall draw, I guess.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 April 2016, 14:31:33 by joric »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #183 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 15:17:35 »
BT Leds have 1k ohm each and draws from 3.3v line so I guess they consume less than 10ma. But you still will be able to improve 10% of battery life?

« Last Edit: Sat, 09 April 2016, 17:50:18 by hasu »

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #184 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 17:14:42 »
Hello Hasu,

I am wondering what LED next to the bootloader switch (red button) is for? I never noticed it illuminated.

Offline Mirahine

« Reply #185 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 17:27:31 »
I have send a mail for buying the usb version, i don't have any reply.
It's normal?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #186 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 17:46:24 »
Hi MJ45, it is capslock indicator with default firmware. But I used it for debug mainly during development.

Mirahine, I usually reply in a day, note that I'm in JST timezone.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 April 2016, 17:49:50 by hasu »

Offline alveeno

« Reply #187 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 17:46:19 »
Will this make the media controls work on windows?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #188 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 18:22:56 »

It should work. What is "media controls" you intend actually?
I usually use volume controls(up, down mute) but not others. I'll test them if you want.

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #189 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 23:28:54 »
Do you ever stock HHKB Type-S with the USB controller?
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline alveeno

« Reply #190 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 12:52:41 »

It should work. What is "media controls" you intend actually?
I usually use volume controls(up, down mute) but not others. I'll test them if you want.

Vol up, Vol down, mute, play/pause, skip track, previous track!

Thanks! I'm just asking because I know by default they don't work on windows, only mac.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #191 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 17:18:15 »
It should work and confirmed once at least some point in past. Which keycodes are you using in fact? And USB or Bluetooth?

Some keycodes work in Windows but not in Mac and vice versa, iirc.

EDIT: And what  app are you trying? winamp? media player?
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 April 2016, 19:58:05 by hasu »

Offline alveeno

« Reply #192 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 22:45:00 »
It should work and confirmed once at least some point in past. Which keycodes are you using in fact? And USB or Bluetooth?

I haven't installed the controller yet, I just know stock controller works only in mac. I thought i'd just ask before I installed your controller, because media controls was the big thing I wanted to work

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #193 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 23:51:34 »

I haven't installed the controller yet, I just know stock controller works only in mac. I thought i'd just ask before I installed your controller, because media controls was the big thing I wanted to work

OK. I understood your question now. Yes, media control works well with Alt Controller on both USB and Bluetooth.

BTW, I looked into behaviour of system/consumer keys on Linux and Windows 10.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/issues/332

Offline lenk

« Reply #194 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 16:50:41 »
hi Hasu, I know this is for HHKB only. Will you be making pcbs for other Topre keyboards? Like the realforce,novatouch and leopolds? If not, would the usb-usb converter be best if I want to fully program other topre keyboards? Thanks.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #195 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 05:21:40 »
hi Hasu, I know this is for HHKB only. Will you be making pcbs for other Topre keyboards? Like the realforce,novatouch and leopolds? If not, would the usb-usb converter be best if I want to fully program other topre keyboards? Thanks.

Hi, I have no plan for those boards. You can use USB-USB converter with Realforce but I don't know about other boards. USB-USB converter doesn't support NKRO keyboards.

Offline r3nfr0

« Reply #196 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 08:28:51 »
Hello,

I have the controller working fine through USB.  When I try to pair via bluetooth on my mac, I am getting a bad passkey error (it is trying to use 0000).  My mac is kind of old.  Is it possible my bluetooth is too old?  Or is there a passkey that I don't know?

edit:  when i tried to pair it with my laptop (the computer i actually want bluetooth on) it just took a few attempts then it connected.  it is a little weird, but it is working!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 April 2016, 08:41:59 by r3nfr0 »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #197 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 17:51:28 »
Hello,

I have the controller working fine through USB.  When I try to pair via bluetooth on my mac, I am getting a bad passkey error (it is trying to use 0000).  My mac is kind of old.  Is it possible my bluetooth is too old?  Or is there a passkey that I don't know?

edit:  when i tried to pair it with my laptop (the computer i actually want bluetooth on) it just took a few attempts then it connected.  it is a little weird, but it is working!

Thanks!

Hi,
Pin code is 1234 it is usually not required in pairing process. But old host may require it, I don't know much about this and I've never used the pin code so far.
EDIT: If your buletooth host is 2.1 or up it suppors SSP(simple secure pairing) which doesn't require pin code as far as I know.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 April 2016, 17:55:49 by hasu »

Offline r3nfr0

« Reply #198 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 18:01:33 »
This is a pretty old Mac, and the one that it worked on is much newer. I will try the pin and report back!  At work now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jico

« Reply #199 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 19:38:48 »
Will this controller work with the new Bluetooth version of the HHKB?

(http://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/hhkeyboard/bt/)

Also, is there a way to map characters that aren't in the TMK Keymap Editor?  I'd like to have things like "∞" on the 2nd layer.  You can type an infinity symbol by hitting ALT+236 on the number-pad of a full-size keyboard.  Can I enter a macro like this using this controller?