Author Topic: Potential community sale...  (Read 61453 times)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: Potential community sale...
« Reply #250 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 13:30:24 »
I think that some technical upgrades and added features are long long long overdue, and we have been interested in having those implemented as well as proposing changes internally, but with the way things are currently set up historically, the site basically runs as is on the bare minimum, and we make do and implement changes to make the best of the limited functionality we have.  The "feature requests" thread is sad to read, as we would have loved many new features, but it's been out of our hands.  I truly wish we could have had upgrades all along that did not come out of the opportunities provided by this too-sudden and, I daresay, reckless quick sale.

At first I walked away from this thread hoping for the best, but seeing the responses and how things have been playing out, here are my few cents.

It's very disheartening to see people making bids on the community we've worked hard on for years to maintain and manage, and we are now treated as some sidelines commodity, including by some posts here from people who are all like "I've got MY ideas for how things will run, and someone else can do the moderation, because I'm not interested".  That's not how things have worked here--the admin and mod team have operated as a team, and any changes don't come lightly.  They require feedback and revision to make sure they fit the community and the site and are not just whims of "wouldn't it be cool if".  We've learned long ago that people can react very strongly and negatively to even small changes, and everything we do has to answer a question of "is this really necessary?  how is it going to improve the community, or will it just create unnecessary busywork?"  This is a community of respectable age and heritage now, and the sale is turning from server hosting to some concept of ownership of the whole community, which is baffling to me. 

All due respect to imav for starting this community and running the physical server afterwards, but he's been MIA from the actual site for many many years, completely out of touch with the people who manage it for him--for free, donating lots and lots of personal time and dealing with things a lot of others wouldn't want to deal with (we get very very few moderator applications--they are quite rare, in fact).  To show that the highest bidder gets the server AND is now basically welcome to do whatever they want with it, with no appropriate advance warning for the community or at least talking to people who have been managing the site to date to help ensure a smoother transition, or discussing options that wouldn't turn into some bidding war, is not what I would call caring about the community or one's legacy.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #251 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 14:00:59 »
(we get very very few moderator applications--they are quite rare, in fact).

This isn't the place, but I've been holding this in for months now, for what it's worth i got the runaround from ghostjuggernaut for MONTHS, on two separate occasions, about becoming a moderator after both him and hoffman supposedly wanted me on board.

Apparently he couldn't get a hold of any other moderators to do the interviews, so I'm not sure if either it's as rare as you make it sound, or no one was willing to put in the work.

And re:
Kinda crummy that not even 30 among us have been willing to donate 10$ a month. This potential sale, on the 2nd anniversary of the beloved >>>>D E A L S<<<< installation, seems to have blindsided some?? Fundraising was brought up then but did anyone do anything about it?

Between the SSL Cert lapsing for days, the site randomly going down, many inactivate subforums not being cleaned up, etc. I personally didn't feel it was worth the investment, it seems more like the money would just go to iMav and nothing would get done.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 July 2018, 14:05:59 by dgneo »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #252 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 14:07:02 »

This isn't the place, but I've been holding this in for months now, for what it's worth i got the runaround from ghostjuggernaut for MONTHS, on two separate occasions, about becoming a moderator after both him and hoffman supposedly wanted me on board.

Apparently he couldn't get a hold of any other moderators to do the interviews, so I'm not sure if either it's as rare as you make it sound, or no one was willing to put in the work.

Indeed, this isn't the time and the place--especially considering that yours was one of a literal small handful across a year or two and my point still very much stands, but I was under the impression that you were explained why your mod application was not accepted.  If not, please feel free to PM me.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #253 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 14:30:19 »

A little bit of comedic relief, considering how high tensions have been.  :))
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #254 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 14:48:14 »

Indeed, this isn't the time and the place--especially considering that yours was one of a literal small handful across a year or two and my point still very much stands, but I was under the impression that you were explained why your mod application was not accepted.  If not, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks for getting back to me, I definitely appreciate the explanation!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #255 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 14:50:13 »
I'll add a few more points to address some recent comments.

1. iMav, you created this community and put in an incredible amount of work to bring it to what it was around when I joined (2013).  After that, mkawa put in an equal amount of work, and following his departure the remaining mod team put in their fair share to keep things running and maintained.  We sure haven't been perfect, but neither was either of the other "regimes".  I have a huge amount of respect for what you've done for this community and this site, but that doesn't mean you're immune from criticism in cases like this. 

2. Some people seem to think Zeal has been personally attacked and called out for being a potential buyer and also a vendor.  Speaking for myself, I had no such intentions, and I think that in general you'll find he is very well respected in the community (I've known Zeal in some capacity for quite some time, and have had nothing but pleasant interactions).  However, a vendor of any sort owning and operating a community like this is just inherently risky.  Even if there is absolutely no foul play, there will always be the possibility of it and potentially some doubt in (rightfully) skeptical users.  And what happens if another vendor makes a claim that Zeal is suppressing their business presence or otherwise acting unfairly - who deals with that fallout and mess?  The moderators.  This all just reeks of a headache and a mess to manage.

3. To anyone claiming that we have "no right" to voice our minds because we had plenty of time to pay for the site in a subscription model, were you even around when this all happened?  iMav made a post out of nowhere asking for money, then vanished.  Everyone either assumed he had it sorted out, or as dg alluded to, maybe just didn't think that was worth it.  The mods had no clue that a tipping point was being reached, so we had no way to try to figure out a better solution.  I would have gladly organized a raffle or other fundraising effort to help out, or promoted the subscription model.  It is not at all unwarranted to question such a sudden and short-sighted move.

4. The OP claims that if "the community" can get the funds together and purchase it, he'd prefer to do that.  To go back on that after mere hours of the thread being live is just poor form.

5. We're shifting from a free site with volunteer moderators to a revenue-generating site with [???] moderators.  Curious to see how that plays out...

6. Also, everything Photo said. 

* HoffmanMyster refills his popcorn

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #256 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 14:59:55 »
I don't even remember iMav asking for money. Of course it's possible this was before 2014 but that seems doubtful considering how long that was. This is one of the most enthusiastic (for lack of a better word) hobbyist communities I've ever been in, so I'm sure that (especially as evidenced just in this thread alone) people could have raised the required funds to keep the site in iMav's hands.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #257 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 15:04:06 »
What should we do?

I come here for the people, not the site.

Where will the people be?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #258 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 15:05:09 »

What should we do?

I come here for the people, not the site.

Where will the people be?

Dispersed over multiple places.

I'd say most will just leave or find another home.

It's been a good run.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #259 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 15:05:55 »
Deskthority wouldn't mind everyone I'm sure. Of course there's always reddit...  :))

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #260 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 15:07:46 »
Deskthority wouldn't mind everyone I'm sure. Of course there's always reddit...  :))
Deskthority has always been too slow for me and I never know how to take europeans.

Reddit while I like to sell/buy things there and browse occasionally I've never gotten used to the format.

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #261 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 15:08:27 »
so we just need a free vbulletin board?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #262 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 15:08:55 »
It'll never be the same.... :(

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #263 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 15:09:56 »
It'll never be the same.... ;(

agreed. I just dont want "ghv2" to be only about GB's and IC's and Artisan Sales....

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #264 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 15:10:09 »

1. iMav, you created this community and put in an incredible amount of work to bring it to what it was around when I joined (2013).  After that, mkawa put in an equal amount of work, and following his departure the remaining mod team put in their fair share to keep things running and maintained.  We sure haven't been perfect, but neither was either of the other "regimes".  I have a huge amount of respect for what you've done for this community and this site, but that doesn't mean you're immune from criticism in cases like this. 

2. Some people seem to think Zeal has been personally attacked and called out for being a potential buyer and also a vendor.  Speaking for myself, I had no such intentions, and I think that in general you'll find he is very well respected in the community (I've known Zeal in some capacity for quite some time, and have had nothing but pleasant interactions).  However, a vendor of any sort owning and operating a community like this is just inherently risky.  Even if there is absolutely no foul play, there will always be the possibility of it and potentially some doubt in (rightfully) skeptical users.  And what happens if another vendor makes a claim that Zeal is suppressing their business presence or otherwise acting unfairly - who deals with that fallout and mess?  The moderators.  This all just reeks of a headache and a mess to manage.

3. To anyone claiming that we have "no right" to voice our minds because we had plenty of time to pay for the site in a subscription model, were you even around when this all happened?  iMav made a post out of nowhere asking for money, then vanished.  Everyone either assumed he had it sorted out, or as dg alluded to, maybe just didn't think that was worth it.  The mods had no clue that a tipping point was being reached, so we had no way to try to figure out a better solution.  I would have gladly organized a raffle or other fundraising effort to help out, or promoted the subscription model.  It is not at all unwarranted to question such a sudden and short-sighted move.

4. The OP claims that if "the community" can get the funds together and purchase it, he'd prefer to do that.  To go back on that after mere hours of the thread being live is just poor form.

5. We're shifting from a free site with volunteer moderators to a revenue-generating site with [???] moderators.  Curious to see how that plays out...

What he said.

* iamtootallforthis joins Hoffman

Offline AlphaAnt

« Reply #265 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 15:14:09 »
I really like how homebrewtalk.com has monetized their resource costs in the past. They have fairly frequent giveaways from various manufacturers, but you have to be a supporting member to enter. This really pushed their paid memberships way up, as the giveaways were every month or two.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #266 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 15:19:15 »

Yeah totally agree. It's very clear at this point that Legacy and continuation of the community as it stands now is not a priority here, and from a bystanders perspective both seem to be of no concern whatsoever. Money seems to be the only clear objective now. I can't fault someone for selling something that is rightfully theirs, but generally legacy is a driving factor, especially in cases like this. 

Even as someone who has stepped away from being super active here, I'd hate to see the community here dissipate and fall apart.

« Last Edit: Mon, 02 July 2018, 15:26:43 by livingspeedbump »
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #267 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 15:19:42 »
If anyone is concerned about undue interference by Zeal and to quiet people who may question things or be skeptical, a revolving steering committee composed of a cross-section of the site could be formed for such a task that could be involved in decision-making. In what way this would work in specific terms I can't say right now, but it might alay fears and concerns and make more peoples' voices feel heard, perhaps?

I've also suggested that the community could support a yearly drive to frontload costs for the following year so we don't have to do a monthly model. This would also bring in money for paid development of site features and the like.

This too is overly hopeful, but I see it as a model that has worked before.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #268 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 15:23:38 »
I really like how homebrewtalk.com has monetized their resource costs in the past. They have fairly frequent giveaways from various manufacturers, but you have to be a supporting member to enter. This really pushed their paid memberships way up, as the giveaways were every month or two.

This is definitely not an issue of being unable to find funding. For a site with this many views there are about 100 excellent ways to monetize it and pay for the hosting without much effort and with little to no drastic changes to how the site looks and feels. Even if you want to stay ad free, funding the required ~$300 is a simple one to solve. It seems that there were just no warning signs for this, so no real effort was ever put into finding a solution.

Your example, and many others I've seen here, would easily cover the hosting fees, but none of them will work if the person in charge doesn't want to put the slightest bit of effort into making them work.

Offline Delirious

« Reply #269 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 15:50:47 »
Imav has been really burned out since the Vortex Race gb back in 2011-12, he hasn’t posted much since then. I was there and it was painful. I guess this is his eventual exit after so many years holding out.

This thread has been a fun read. Best of luck to all the parties involved.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #270 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 15:51:32 »
I still feel like the point is being missed hardcore on this. The sight has never been free yet IMav operates at a lose. The way people are coming off they seem entitled to the sight. The thing is if people where donating there money this entire time, instead of just feeling entitled to have the sight. Then this would be a non issue because the sight would continue to exist. The community already has some moments that leave me groaning. Seriously this is one of those moments that leaves me going why am I hear? What the heck is wrong with people. I get being passionate but bottom line is this.

No one knows for a fact what will happen to the sight. Unless you have a time machine at which point you need to patient and start selling it cause think of the trillions of dollars you will make. That's the only way to know whats going to happen to the website.

No ones been helping with the monthly cost. I mean serious the people including mods calling out Imav and saying there dis pointed. How much money have you donated over the past 6 months, Sure you donated your time and its appreciated but server host aren't going to accept time and happy wishes. Also we don't know what IMav situation is. Perhaps this is a last ditch effort to keep food on the table and a roof over his head. Maybe he just doesn't want the sight anymore. Perhaps he just greedy and wants money. The bottom line is doesn't matter its his to sell. As said before just be thankful he not just closing the sight down.

As far as advertisements go I welcome them as long as there non obtrusive. The fact the sights operated with out adds for so long is a miracle in of its self.  The donation/Patron thing is great until 3-4 months down the road and people are groaning and need Christmas money or money for that next IC. Then its back to business as usual were one person shoulders the brunt of the load.

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #271 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 16:04:36 »
Funny thing if Zeal bought the site I like him even more. All this time he’s ripping off the community, then he spends 10% of his profits to “help” the community, so he can rip off more money. 10/10.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #272 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 16:07:06 »
I don't even remember iMav asking for money. Of course it's possible this was before 2014 but that seems doubtful considering how long that was. This is one of the most enthusiastic (for lack of a better word) hobbyist communities I've ever been in, so I'm sure that (especially as evidenced just in this thread alone) people could have raised the required funds to keep the site in iMav's hands.

He did in a couple of cases.  In my case, I donated both times but didn't really keep it up as it was forgotten.   There needed to be a concerted effort, I think, and there never was that.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #273 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 16:13:16 »
Yeah. Slept on it and am still angry and disillusioned how this sale went down so quickly and without any consideration for the community that has been tightly knit here for a decade.

It doesn't sit well. It's extremely suspicious. And I am very disappointed in iMav for how poorly and inconsiderately he handled this situation.

I don't give a **** about redesigns or creating a larger market place. What I do care about is the blatant disregarding of the people who built this site and made it what it is.

This entire thing stinks like some forced-upon anti Net Neutrality bull****. No one knew. No one was asked. It just went in the night when no one was paying attention to the highest bidder.

Maybe GH will wind up being better down the road, but the lack of transparency and community involvement in something so important is completely ****ed. idk maybe I wasn't paying enough attention at the time.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 July 2018, 16:24:14 by noisyturtle »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #274 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 16:45:08 »
Maybe GH will wind up being better down the road

This is pretty much where I'm going to sit. Let this play out, and wait to make judgement until after things settle down. Having someone/group that owns the site that is more involved could end up being a good thing for the community. It could be the worst, but it could absolutely improve the site and community here as well. Hopefully either way any change will be slow and generally not affect the day in day out happenings of the site.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #275 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 16:50:47 »
I still feel like the point is being missed hardcore on this. The sight has never been free yet IMav operates at a lose. The way people are coming off they seem entitled to the sight. The thing is if people where donating there money this entire time, instead of just feeling entitled to have the sight. Then this would be a non issue because the sight would continue to exist. The community already has some moments that leave me groaning. Seriously this is one of those moments that leaves me going why am I hear? What the heck is wrong with people. I get being passionate but bottom line is this.

No one knows for a fact what will happen to the sight. Unless you have a time machine at which point you need to patient and start selling it cause think of the trillions of dollars you will make. That's the only way to know whats going to happen to the website.

No ones been helping with the monthly cost. I mean serious the people including mods calling out Imav and saying there dis pointed. How much money have you donated over the past 6 months, Sure you donated your time and its appreciated but server host aren't going to accept time and happy wishes. Also we don't know what IMav situation is. Perhaps this is a last ditch effort to keep food on the table and a roof over his head. Maybe he just doesn't want the sight anymore. Perhaps he just greedy and wants money. The bottom line is doesn't matter its his to sell. As said before just be thankful he not just closing the sight down.

As far as advertisements go I welcome them as long as there non obtrusive. The fact the sights operated with out adds for so long is a miracle in of its self.  The donation/Patron thing is great until 3-4 months down the road and people are groaning and need Christmas money or money for that next IC. Then its back to business as usual were one person shoulders the brunt of the load.

Site*

Offline swangful

« Reply #276 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 17:03:20 »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #277 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 17:03:21 »
Deskthority has always been too slow for me and I never know how to take europeans.

This 100x for me. geekhack, when it gets active, runs at a comfortably faster pace for me.
And just when I think I have someone's humor down, I make a joke thinking it will align but it falls flat. European humor (or lack thereof) always eludes me.

Plus, I don't have as strong a desire for 20+ year-old boards as they do...

Reddit while I like to sell/buy things there and browse occasionally I've never gotten used to the format.

Though there are way more scammers and flippers on mm, I've found more than half of what I've been looking for there. It's a better place to find stuff you're aching for, but I will say that with here I at least have a better chance of knowing the buyer/seller before the sale.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #278 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 17:07:02 »

This is just a character flaw, we can work on this  :p :)) <3

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #279 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 17:13:57 »

He did in a couple of cases.  In my case, I donated both times but didn't really keep it up as it was forgotten.   There needed to be a concerted effort, I think, and there never was that.

I like the slower pace most of the time. And to be completely honest, the majority of the posts I see in spy tend to be IC/GB related so although it might seem faster paced, they don't seem that different to me. DT has had some really busy moments too. In any case, the stereotype of "DT is only vintage" hurts the viewership I think. There is certainly lots more than just that.

;D

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #280 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 17:15:29 »

Don't get me wrong! I love good, ol' 80s/90s IBM workhorses as much as the next guy.

But a line becomes crossed when one lugs keyboards weighing half an average human with rusted, arcane switches.  :))

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #281 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 17:19:26 »

if they replace the mods im leaving

I will but this out there. The first offer of $15k will take it.  (regardless of any other offers)

Done.

@zeal can you replace the mods so that puddsy will leave ... please.

you guys can stop sending me this now

lol
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline mkarlsson

« Reply #282 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 17:33:41 »
Why don’t you guys stop making such comments about europeans?

There are many europeans here, and are not interested in old boards and like a lot how geekhack works, the people and the “american humor” (aside from stupid comments about europeans that are not funny).

Apart from that, I really hope the site stays more or less how it is now, maybe with some improvements.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #283 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 19:50:57 »

+1 to all of this. I know when I was a moderator the team wanted to make many improvements to the back end, but never had the ability to. Several of us had the ability, but were never given admin access. There is barely anyone that actually has admin access.

Likewise when it comes to funding. I personally stepped down over disbelief that iMav would put up something as ****ty as >>>DEALS<<< rather than asking the people that actually use the website and mod the website, for possible revenue generating options. I realized he just does whatever he wants and I no longer wanted to moderate a site owned by such an individual. This current situation is another example of iMav ruining the community he's built.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #284 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 20:51:31 »

NOT vBulletin!  GH ran on vB for several years...what a PIG of a platform that is!  (originally started on phpBB...who remembers that??)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #285 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 21:02:42 »
NOT vBulletin!  GH ran on vB for several years...what a PIG of a platform that is!  (originally started on phpBB...who remembers that??)

Of course, this is still my all time, favorite GH theme (on vB):

https://web.archive.org/web/20091221100239/http://geekhack.org:80/

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #286 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 23:34:17 »

I like the slower pace most of the time. And to be completely honest, the majority of the posts I see in spy tend to be IC/GB related so although it might seem faster paced, they don't seem that different to me. DT has had some really busy moments too. In any case, the stereotype of "DT is only vintage" hurts the viewership I think. There is certainly lots more than just that.

;D

Did you quote the wrong post...?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #287 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 23:35:17 »
You can sell the website; but not the community. People have the freedom to move to other similar boards. GH key feature is that it is vendor neutral; if that changes, this portal may turn into the owners' store. Fortunately, there are still some other places where keyboard aficionados may continue sharing their interests, projects, ideas and stuff with no bigbrother supervision and control.

Offline figit090

• RGB LED Kinesis Contoured
« Reply #288 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 00:33:35 »
wow, I'm sorry to see the difficulties but I'm glad that it's getting sorted out. I'm shocked that by the time I got this notification, sale of the website is already in the works.

I like this website, is seldom as I use it I really enjoy it and I've used it for a lots of information. I hope it continues on!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline heroinbob

« Reply #289 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 01:00:58 »
I have been offered $10k to sell the geekhack community.

As many of you know, I maintain a SIGNIFICANT loss in maintaining the site.  Folks will donate for a month or two and then stop.  I LOVE the community and it is a great source of pride to see how the community grew out of my seedling of an idea. 

I would RATHER sell to a community member (or a group of members).  So, I am putting this "out there".  If a group of community members can beat the offered price, I will gladly turn over the website to them.  (I will help migrate the site to a new server (hosted/owned/whatever)...and do whatever needs to be done for a successful transition.)  Otherwise, in a month or so, the site will be in the hands of a new company. 

(sorry.  I currently have three mortgages...dude to an unexpected move.  And I simply can't incur the expense any longer.)

You have a **SERIOUS** PM.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #290 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 01:03:39 »

As many of you know, I maintain a SIGNIFICANT loss in maintaining the site.  Folks will donate for a month or two and then stop.  I LOVE the community and it is a great source of pride to see how the community grew out of my seedling of an idea. 

I would RATHER sell to a community member (or a group of members).  So, I am putting this "out there".  If a group of community members can beat the offered price, I will gladly turn over the website to them.  (I will help migrate the site to a new server (hosted/owned/whatever)...and do whatever needs to be done for a successful transition.)  Otherwise, in a month or so, the site will be in the hands of a new company. 

(sorry.  I currently have three mortgages...dude to an unexpected move.  And I simply can't incur the expense any longer.)

:eek:

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #291 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 01:07:40 »
there's no real good answer, I thought about what if we as a community pooled out money together to keep GH non-profit, and I know we could initially but would it maintain?
but $15k seems low for what we collectively spend on this hobby

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #292 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 01:10:22 »

wtt 20000 vintage blacks
wttf geekhack

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #293 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 02:10:20 »
Goodbye.

Let's see if tomorrow has a brighter future.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #294 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 03:37:32 »
Goodbye.

Let's see if tomorrow has a brighter future.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #295 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 03:48:36 »
Big money, big money, no whammies, STOP

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #296 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 04:05:58 »
After spending much of the weekend+ at the hospital hoping they can work out what's wrong with two of my closest family members I come back to this.  Started well, went weird and 'ended' on a cryptic cliffhanger :confused:

Sounds like I'd may as well cancel my $5/mo though, could pay for an hour's parking...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline joey

« Reply #297 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 04:08:23 »
I wish there was an easy way to download entire threads + all my PMs + pictures etc...

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #298 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 04:13:25 »
After spending much of the weekend+ at the hospital hoping they can work out what's wrong with two of my closest family members I come back to this.  Started well, went weird and 'ended' on a cryptic cliffhanger :confused:

Sounds like I'd may as well cancel my $5/mo though, could pay for an hour's parking...

You have to pay for parking?

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count
« Reply #299 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 04:17:14 »
Well bois, it was a nice run. See you on the new site whenever it launches.
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard