Author Topic: [Edited] Now, the Game Boy Thread.  (Read 5124 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
[Edited] Now, the Game Boy Thread.
« on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 07:53:13 »
So, broke out the Gameboy color. Popped in pokemon yellow.

Everything started gud'.   but Then Tp4 was like, Hrrrm, how catch all 151 w/o trading.

Oh,  gotta make gigantic path to Distance trigger trainers glitch... And honestly, this just ruins the game, because it turns into homework.  But as an adult, Tp4 can't conceive of playing it in NE other way, except in the way that would be the least enjoyable.

NE1 else have this type of problem with this game or other games ?

Offline Coreda

Re: Difficulty enjoying Pokemon as an adult.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 01:24:31 »
Hmm, suggesting tp wasn't an adult when the game was released. So tp isn't quite as old as he puts on  ^-^

Couldn't see the appeal my friends did in Pokemon when I was younger but I was more into platforming and 3D action games at the time. Perhaps part of the hook is the partially luck-based nature of winning battles?
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 October 2020, 01:27:28 by Coreda »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 13:11:59 »
Couldn't see the appeal my friends did in Pokemon when I was younger but I was more into platforming and 3D action games at the time. Perhaps part of the hook is the partially luck-based nature of winning battles?

Pokemon is a Slot-Machine RPG.  This is basically Pachinko addiction for children.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 15:44:23 »

Pokemon is a Slot-Machine RPG.  This is basically Pachinko addiction for children.

for me, i loved pokemon as a kid because i was sucked into the pokemon environment. i read the books, watched the tv shows, bought the trading cards, and played the video game. it was great playing the video game because i could interact with and own some of the same pokemon that i saw on tv, or read in books. the pokemon world was lovely to me so naturally i wanted to explore it in a video game. nothing about rng to me, that was all abstracted away to me as a kid.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 17:49:27 »
To be frank, I was the exact age and target demo when Pokemon first came out and I recognized it to be a tedious affair after Gold. Two of those games were enough for me (collected the FULL Pokedex in both Red and Gold) to get the gist and not want to ever play another. And from what I have seen of the modern iterations the game's core has not really changed much, and the Pokemon keep getting stupider. The trainers are getting hotter though.

I don't think Pokemon is a good game. I don't think the mechanics are good and I believe the core gameplay loop it teaches to be a negative one. It feeds the part of the brain that needs to fulfill and complete things and has effectively bred a generation of nostalgic hoarders. True.

that being said I really enjoyed Gold and have very fond memories of the time I spent playing it over that Summer
but I know now to let those memories lie, that pond is better left still

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 21:34:19 »
Tried playing some games on emulator.  This plain doesn't work.  All the colors look so wrong.  A PC monitor has too much contrast and saturation.

I wonder if I can Detune my monitor's color gamut into the gameboy gamut.

Visually, the contrast ratio is probably something like 50:1  vs 6500:1 on a monitor. Damn, I don't have a probe small enough to measure this.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 22:20:43 »
It's not the color or saturation, it's the backlit screen that makes it look wrong. Why the older games especially looked way better on the monochromatic or frontlit screens and look weird on the DS or some GBA models. Color correction patches do exist, and some stuff like the Retroarch has shader options in the software.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 23:04:08 »
It's not the color or saturation, it's the backlit screen that makes it look wrong. Why the older games especially looked way better on the monochromatic or frontlit screens and look weird on the DS or some GBA models. Color correction patches do exist, and some stuff like the Retroarch has shader options in the software.

I am thinking about getting a front light kit, but The spectrum of the leds are never specified, I'd have to hunt down some extremely high cri leds.

It seems people are really gungho about replacing the original LCD. It seems counter-intruitive. If accurate visual experience is of 0 concern, which is the case when you buy an aftermarket backlit lcd, completely departed from the creator's intent in game mastering, then an emulator will beat that aftermarket lcd by miles.

They're also using an IPS panel, what a huge mistake. On something this small and this narrow, a VA panel would be perfect. Higher contrast.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 08:06:17 »
Tried playing some games on emulator.  This plain doesn't work.  All the colors look so wrong.  A PC monitor has too much contrast and saturation.

Visually, the contrast ratio is probably something like 50:1  vs 6500:1 on a monitor. Damn, I don't have a probe small enough to measure this.

*laughs in retroarch and shaders*

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 18:04:55 »
Lubricated the Gameboy Color's Dpad.  What a difference.  Why haven't I read about this anywhere. It's so much better now. Y'all gotta try this.

The way it's designed, there's so much plastic grinding against each other.  Put that krytox to use.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 18:24:14 »
This is awesome, my Shoryukens are coming out 1:1 now.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 20:41:17 »
GDI, I've been in this stupid diglett's cave for 10 minutes, I still haven't found a dugtrio. wttttthhh

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 20:50:00 »
GDI, I've been in this stupid diglett's cave for 10 minutes, I still haven't found a dugtrio. wttttthhh

the zubat cave is the ****ing worst thing in the game, I would be shocked in even one single person in the history of playing Pokemon ever said their fav part was the pitch black maze cave full of boulders and zubats attacking every 2.5 seconds. NO ONE!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 20:56:47 »
Motffff... found dugtrio, reduced to 30%, put to sleep with jigglypuff,  cost 8 balls. seriouslY??  what are the odds of such immense expense, ~5% ,  terrible luck.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 20:58:32 »

the zubat cave is the ****ing worst thing in the game, I would be shocked in even one single person in the history of playing Pokemon ever said their fav part was the pitch black maze cave full of boulders and zubats attacking every 2.5 seconds. NO ONE!

I think they threw it in for -Tension-.   It wasn't fun, but i mean, the game is pretty flat otherwise.

Which pokemon version does NT favor.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 21:52:36 »
Gold/Silver/Crystal is where the series peaked imo

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 07:54:54 »

*laughs in retroarch and shaders*

lmao another RetroArch user I see - I started getting my son into the games I played when I was growing up on NES/Genesis/3DO, this started due to him seeing Mario and Pacman and wanting to play it - so from the beginning he must start lol.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 07:59:04 »
lmao another RetroArch user I see - I started getting my son into the games I played when I was growing up on NES/Genesis/3DO, this started due to him seeing Mario and Pacman and wanting to play it - so from the beginning he must start lol.

Tp4 is #Ronery4ever,  but recall alot of proximal parents saying something about gamez ruining children's eyesight.

Of course, there's no counterpoint, because Tp4 = nearsighted as fff.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 10:51:25 »
The older I become the less interest I have in video games. But Pokemon I swore off years ago. I was in late grammar school when Red and Blue released in the States so I was in the middle of the craze. The last time I enjoyed it was HeartGold.
When White released I was pretty excited, but a couple of hours in I had zero interest in playing the game. I realized it got boring for me to play as 10-year-old child catching the same creatures, albeit perhaps different apperances for the monsters.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 11:39:04 »
The older I become the less interest I have in video games. But Pokemon I swore off years ago. I was in late grammar school when Red and Blue released in the States so I was in the middle of the craze. The last time I enjoyed it was HeartGold.
When White released I was pretty excited, but a couple of hours in I had zero interest in playing the game. I realized it got boring for me to play as 10-year-old child catching the same creatures, albeit perhaps different apperances for the monsters.

The trouble could be we had frenz back in the day. now it's just Tp4 playn' pokemon by hisself

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder

Offline Kavik

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 00:54:52 »
To be frank, I was the exact age and target demo when Pokemon first came out and I recognized it to be a tedious affair after Gold. Two of those games were enough for me (collected the FULL Pokedex in both Red and Gold) to get the gist and not want to ever play another. And from what I have seen of the modern iterations the game's core has not really changed much, and the Pokemon keep getting stupider. The trainers are getting hotter though.

I don't think Pokemon is a good game. I don't think the mechanics are good and I believe the core gameplay loop it teaches to be a negative one. It feeds the part of the brain that needs to fulfill and complete things and has effectively bred a generation of nostalgic hoarders. True.

that being said I really enjoyed Gold and have very fond memories of the time I spent playing it over that Summer

Pretty much the same for me. I was a dumb kid, so I bought both Red and Blue because I thought it was a two part game (I thought the "campaign" continued from one cartridge to the next somehow). Silver version was amazing because it was friggin' huge: 100 more pokemon and double the area to explore, plus an internal clock with day/night cycles and pokemon mating. I never did catch 'em all in Silver though. There were too many new and complex ways to get some of them, I only had one friend with Gold, and the legendary dogs were insanely hard to capture.

A friend and I bought Ruby and Sapphire when we were too old to still be playing it, and it was fun, but it had definitely lost its magic (both the game and the universe) by that point. I never played any of them after Sapphire version. It's really hard to contemplate how into it I was though; I literally fantasized about having real pokemon, which was a terrible affliction since they aren't real (I had a similar thing with Yoshi and Tails).

I did replay Blue and Yellow at some point in early adulthood and still enjoyed them somewhat; however, using Dodrio mode on Pokemon Stadium helps speed things up so that it's more bearable. That said, I don't think I could enjoy it much now given the lack of imagination I have as an adult, the simplicity of combat, and lack of anyone else playing it (That's a big part of it. You're into the same thing as everyone else at the same time - the same reason Pokemon Go! was so big a four years ago). It's one reason I never gave Pokemon Uranium a chance. I downloaded and launched it once.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 03:40:14 »
I always thought a Pokemon MMO would be the natural progression but nothing like that ever happened unless you count Go!

It's crazy how Nintendo has somehow managed to keep the main games 100% mobile, they probably rely on it a great deal to sell their portables.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 01:19:21 »

Damn, wtf. This is spot on.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 06:57:45 »

I don't think Pokemon is a good game. I don't think the mechanics are good and I believe the core gameplay loop it teaches to be a negative one. It feeds the part of the brain that needs to fulfill and complete things and has effectively bred a generation of nostalgic hoarders.

Damn, wtf. This is spot on.

Wayaminut.. Tp4 = Nostalgic hoarder of computer stuffs.   

You're saying Magic the gathering and Pokemon laid the critical brain circuits for this DISORDER ?

Hrrrm...  Typically we connect hoarding as a consequence of being very p00r which Tp4 is.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 07:05:38 »
Shower thought_  Nintendo DS Lite = terrible hand feel, completely not ergonomic.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 12:21:10 »
Shower thought_  Nintendo DS Lite = terrible hand feel, completely not ergonomic.

I realized that about a day after I bought mine and had to put ridiculous "Nerf Armor" on it to make it bearable. It was downright painful to play Metroid Prime Hunters on the DS Lite.

That's why I got the 3DS XL. The regular models are too small for anyone older than 10.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 16:25:39 »

I realized that about a day after I bought mine and had to put ridiculous "Nerf Armor" on it to make it bearable. It was downright painful to play Metroid Prime Hunters on the DS Lite.

That's why I got the 3DS XL. The regular models are too small for anyone older than 10.

Hrrrm. that makes sense since it's made for children.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: [Edited] Now, the Game Boy Thread.
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 18:56:56 »
Played some Megaman Xtreme.  Christ, my hands are about to break off.  How did we ever beat this back then..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 18:58:55 »

I feel this about the SNES controller. It's so thin it makes my hands cramp after 20 mins, but people swear by it and say it's the best controller ever made.

But honestly Nintendo has never been the ergo champions, or even good with ergonomics. Even the modern Switch control sticks are awful, they never learn. Pretty sure now it's just an excuse for them to make you buy a Pro Controller.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 23:04:58 »
Gameboy games are Hard..

Collision is not perfect, and there is always some unpredictable input lag.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 11 October 2020, 19:05:35 »
Mario golf is awesome.. If only real golf was this fun.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 11 October 2020, 19:35:12 »
I was always impressed w/ the GBA hardware at the time. It was essentially a portable SNES with a worse soundchip and better 3D capeabilities(albeit still quite limited)

But in terms of the OG GB that Shantae game I had as a kid for GBC nearly looked and sounded like a SNES game, which was very impressive. IDK how they got so much out of an 8-bit cart. Also a super expensive game to own now, wish I'd held onto it :(

The Donkey Kong games looked pretty good, and Alone In The Dark had some insane prerendered visuals for the GBC

In terms of gameplay I think the Wario Land series and Link's Awakening were my two favorite games I owned as a kid. LA is still my favorite Zelda title of all-time, it's so SO tightly designed there's almost no flaws in its progression. The Seasons games might have better dungeons, idk its been a long time since I played those.

If you're interested in technologically advanced games look into the unreleased Resident Evil GBC game (not Gaiden) the ROM is available online, easy to find. It was basically finished but got axed for some reason. It has some very advanced visuals and actual voice clips, which for a GBC is unthinkable.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 October 2020, 19:39:48 by noisyturtle »

Offline Kavik

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 11 October 2020, 21:49:29 »
But honestly Nintendo has never been the ergo champions, or even good with ergonomics.

With the notable exception of the GameCube controller. Although the thumb sticks weren't the best, the shape was nearly perfect. The only gripe I've had in more recent years is that the grips aren't angled enough (Xbox 360 got this right), which necessitates tucked in elbows.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 15:21:43 »
But honestly Nintendo has never been the ergo champions, or even good with ergonomics.

With the notable exception of the GameCube controller. Although the thumb sticks weren't the best, the shape was nearly perfect. The only gripe I've had in more recent years is that the grips aren't angled enough (Xbox 360 got this right), which necessitates tucked in elbows.

Yea, basically if the control buttons are close to the outside edge of anything handheld,  then you need the base of the handle to extend outwards, otherwise, the elbows have to come in to hold the controller, this is fine for children, but not adult hands.

with the DSlite, it's too thin, but also because it's square, the hands can't get around it comfortably.

PSP and Gameboy Advance (NonSP) are much better. SP has the same problem as the Ds-lite

I'm thinking about investing in a GBA LOL,  kind of expensive at this point, ~$200 to get all the stuff.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 21:56:57 »
OMG, wha.... Jpn didn't get Advance Wars until 2004 ? came out 2001 USA..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 22:04:14 »

Advance Wars, Ogre Tactics, MegaMan Zero, MegaMan Battle Network, and all Castlevania's

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 09:17:57 »
I had a dsi when i was little and i miss it very much

Offline Kavik

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 18:53:32 »

Wikipedia lists the NA release of this game as September 10, 2001, but I have always doubted that because games are released on Tuesdays (the 10th was a Monday) and because I remember trying to go buy it on September 11th (or 12th?), and it was nowhere to be found, presumably because the shipments had been delayed because of the 9/11 attacks. I couldn't locate a copy for about a week.

Does anyone else remember this? Was the delay (or sell-out) just in my area? I looked in Nintendo Power issues from that time for a release date, but I couldn't find anything more specific than the month. The source for the Wikipedia article is an IGN review that lists the release date as the 10th.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 21:31:15 »

#### the cave, all my homies hate the cave

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 11:46:24 »
Which RPG did you guys complete on Gameboy.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 16:37:47 »
Not GB related but I was stoked about this announcement. Will save a ton of space from my current SuperGrafx briefcase CD setup and Arcade card I don't even own.
https://www.analogue.co/duo/

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 18:17:07 »
Not GB related but I was stoked about this announcement. Will save a ton of space from my current SuperGrafx briefcase CD setup and Arcade card I don't even own.
https://www.analogue.co/duo/

There shouldn't be anything an FPGA can accomplish that a modern CPU can't in emulating these old games.

This is a bid to force you into buying something that's unnecessary. It's still not original hardware. It won't be any more/less accurate because they simple can't test all the conditions to make that claim.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 18:26:38 »
Emulation is for suckers

Why would I settle for inferior representation if I own the games? And a wasted game library is an even greater crime.

Offline NoteMakoti

• for sale, baby shoes, never worn
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 23:11:18 »
Emulation is for suckers

Why would I settle for inferior representation if I own the games? And a wasted game library is an even greater crime.
Emulation has come a far way, especially with Retroarch shaders. CRT Royale and the Gameboy shaders make me downright nostalgic.