Author Topic: First Attempt at Making Keycaps  (Read 2070 times)

Offline brennan08512

First Attempt at Making Keycaps
« on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 14:43:12 »
Here's my first attempt at trying to make a custom keycap. I study neuroscience so I figured I'd try to make a brain! Well.. it kind of looks like a brain.

This is the original mold.

Here are the two casting attempts before the mold stem broke off. There's definitely some bubbles and the mold wasn't that great either.

I can barely print my name legibly let alone sculpt, so I don't think it was too terrible. I have a few other ideas in mind and I hope to keep improving.

Offline Meika

• Is this easy mode?
Re: First Attempt at Making Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 13:14:26 »
Hello! A newbie in making keycaps here too  :thumb:

Are you really not into scultping? cos I think that's a good looking brain. I like the details. You might want to make the lines a little deeper and wider tho so that the mold could force itself into it.

And cheers to bubbles!  ;D it's my worst enemy right now either.

Offline brennan08512

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 15:02:14 »
Hello! A newbie in making keycaps here too  :thumb:

Are you really not into scultping? cos I think that's a good looking brain. I like the details. You might want to make the lines a little deeper and wider tho so that the mold could force itself into it.

And cheers to bubbles!  ;D it's my worst enemy right now either.

Thanks! I do want to redo it with deeper lines and try to find a way to have a stable stem that looks like a spinal cord coming down.

Offline brennan08512

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 11:49:30 »
Did some sculpts. Slowly getting a little better. These are pretty high in profile but just something I was messing around with.