Author Topic: Key Cap Creation (Topre Fn)  (Read 57264 times)

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
Re: Key Cap Creation (Topre Fn)
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 18:00:37 »
That is what I was thinking as well

Offline btctopre

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 23:18:12 »
For Topre, it's a good way to get stress testing done on the stems as well before entering full production since their durability is one of the last things starting cap makers seem to pay attention to. Read a few instances of people creating a perfectly good-looking Topre cap only to have the stem break on it after a few weeks of use.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 01:21:37 »
For Topre, it's a good way to get stress testing done on the stems as well before entering full production since their durability is one of the last things starting cap makers seem to pay attention to. Read a few instances of people creating a perfectly good-looking Topre cap only to have the stem break on it after a few weeks of use.

Stress testing is a good idea.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 02:00:33 »

Stress testing is a good idea.

I use my hhkb a lot, so I could definitely do some solid stress-testing. Could also see how it holds up to the Canadian weather.  ;)

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 02:07:41 »
Are we doing a everyone willing to do free stress testing raise their hands now?
I just ordered my first HHKB but...

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 10:30:19 »
Wow, some great work so far man! Stoked to see more Topre colors! :D Orange and Purple hopefully!

Nice OG too!  :thumb:
Did you mean trans orange or solid orange and the same with purple?

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 10:32:27 »
Wow, some great work so far man! Stoked to see more Topre colors! :D Orange and Purple hopefully!

Nice OG too!  :thumb:
Did you mean trans orange or solid orange and the same with purple?

Pretty sure he meant translucent pink...  ;)
<3

But seriously translucent would be amazing Synjin!  :thumb:

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 10:33:32 »
I'll need a few hours since I have to head to class now but brace yourselves at around 6pm central time :) trans and not solid then?

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 10:36:22 »
I'll need a few hours since I have to head to class now but brace yourselves at around 6pm central time :) trans and not solid then?

Ö_Ö
Yaay, excitement!!  :)

I would definitely vote for translucent, but I don't know if I can make that decision alone...
We need more votes!  :thumb:

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 10:40:56 »
Definetly excited to see some trans ! Good to hear your going to class synjin and not sitting around all day playing with keyboards and resins  ;) . This is one of the rare occasions where I feel completely comfortable speaking for other people but I'm sure anybody that's posted in this thread would be glad to stress test and review your caps  :thumb: . Ill definitely be checking this thread later tonight man  and this is great stuff !
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 10:57:57 »
Thanks for the support guys. I I'll be doing the giveaway for reviews and stress testing some time before the end of the week so the less people who have this on notify, the higher your chance of winning is.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 14:57:58 »
Do an orange one they said, it'll be nice if it was trans they said...

Apologies for the potatoes, these are not completely finished since they haven't been cleaned yet so there are still flashed edges. I also forgot to clean out the mold completely on the long left shift so there is a diff colored plastic on that key. This should be everything but the enter key and space bar for the mods.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 15:00:29 »
Wooaahhh...

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 15:01:08 »
I don't have the can so these were taken from my phone.

Offline btctopre

« Reply #114 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 15:02:34 »
Looking good. No obvious bubbles and that stem on the Esc is  :thumb:

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #115 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 15:03:34 »
Synjin, you make me want to give this a shot. You make it seem so easy. Good looking caps bro, keep up the great work.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 15:04:22 »
I love that color Synjin! <3

Really like those very vibrant orange colors where its almost hard to tell if its red or orange.
And also huge fan of transparent colors, looks awesome!  :)

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #117 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 15:05:11 »
Thanks for the comments. The true challenge is if they are durable enough for their thickness. I will be uploading a hammer test on one of my caps as well as giving some away for review.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 15:07:00 »
Thanks for the comments. The true challenge is if they are durable enough for their thickness. I will be uploading a hammer test on one of my caps as well as giving some away for review.

Hammer test?  :eek:
Please tell me its not what I envisioned... My hearth... </3

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #119 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 15:08:32 »
Yes an actual hammer smashing test on one of my clears. The test cap is weaker than these since the stem broke off while the resin was still warm when I demolded it so it has literally just the walls to support it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #120 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 15:11:45 »
These are fantastic! :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 15:13:24 »
Yes an actual hammer smashing test on one of my clears. The test cap is weaker than these since the stem broke off while the resin was still warm when I demolded it so it has literally just the walls to support it.

Dang, at least the Cap was already damaged so its kind of fine I guess...
Hammer test sounded like stuff nightmares are made from! xD

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 15:13:36 »
Wut....

Dang, at least the Cap was already damaged so its kind of fine I guess...
Hammer test sounded like stuff nightmares are made from! xD
BTW I just tried it and realized no cap can withstand a full hammer blow lol
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 April 2015, 15:35:35 by Synjin »

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 15:55:43 »
Do an orange one they said, it'll be nice if it was trans they said...

Apologies for the potatoes, these are not completely finished since they haven't been cleaned yet so there are still flashed edges. I also forgot to clean out the mold completely on the long left shift so there is a diff colored plastic on that key. This should be everything but the enter key and space bar for the mods.

WHOA! How can you tease me like this!!! Multiple sized modifiers and 1x1 in Orange Trans!!!!  :-* Awesome caps dude!

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #124 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 15:58:32 »
metallic peach anyone?

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 16:24:15 »
Show Image
metallic peach anyone?
DAT texturue doe..... These look really freaking nice man.... I am super freaking impressed. As was stated earlier yo . Make it seem easy as you have barely started and these look great. Please don't hit anymore of these orange ones with a hammer lol  :thumb:
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #126 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 16:49:59 »
Show Image
metallic peach anyone?
DAT texturue doe..... These look really freaking nice man.... I am super freaking impressed. As was stated earlier yo . Make it seem easy as you have barely started and these look great. Please don't hit anymore of these orange ones with a hammer lol  :thumb:

I'm amazed how the cap makers can get such consistent texture!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #127 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 17:24:40 »
Does anyone want to sell me some blank enter, tab, and backspace/delete key for the HHKB? Newer would be better.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #128 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 17:28:15 »
OMG!  :eek:
The transparent modifiers look incredible on the hhkb Synjin!  :thumb:

For some reason that orange gets me thinking...
More

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #129 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 18:06:16 »

Well I was hoping for something a little more red, but these ended up a very interesting color. They match my Bro pretty well and they seem to fit and operate just fine.

There is always room for improvement but these are a great start!

I'll be back for more soon :thumb:

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #130 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 18:08:10 »
Show Image

Well I was hoping for something a little more red, but these ended up a very interesting color. They match my Bro pretty well and they seem to fit and operate just fine.

There is always room for improvement but these are a great start!

I'll be back for more soon :thumb:
Thanks man. I've gotten better at having better bottoms on them since I made that so hopefully the next ones would be better. I'm currently doing the mods and will eventually do space bars again to have a complete matching mods set.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #131 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 18:35:50 »
If you want stronger caps you should thicken the walls, IIRC you can add about 1mm on every side (internally) and still have the cap work just as well as a stock cap.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #132 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 18:54:52 »
I actually did that on one of my caps and it felt different but depending on the mass collective opinion once I get more feedback and reviews, I might have to actually increase all their thickness.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #133 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 18:57:18 »
I actually did that on one of my caps and it felt different but depending on the mass collective opinion once I get more feedback and reviews, I might have to actually increase all their thickness.

I think the feeling has to do with stem length/ depth, I spent a bit messing with different caps and that's what I noticed.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #134 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 18:58:28 »
I don't have enough to redo molds right now :(

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #135 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 18:59:47 »
I don't have enough to redo molds right now :(

Patience is a huge part of it :)

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 19:00:10 »
Good products take time.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #137 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 19:03:18 »
I want to figure out most of the issues before redoing a mold instead of redoing it every time an issue comes up to be a but more efficient. Do you like it out would you like more of a stock red doom? Is there enough interest here fork UV reactive colors?

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #138 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 19:13:32 »
I want to figure out most of the issues before redoing a mold instead of redoing it every time an issue comes up to be a but more efficient. Do you like it out would you like more of a stock red doom? Is there enough interest here fork UV reactive colors?

I like the color just fine. If you are doing to pigmentation by hand each batch will come out a slightly different color anyways. I would almost always make whatever colorways you like and chances are you will find someone who will love it.

I would think that there is a good demand for interesting UV colorways, but it would be a good idea to try and perfect the mold as much as possible first before spending money on more expensive materials

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 19:14:04 »

Are you new here? UV Reactive is my middle name
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #140 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 19:17:58 »
I just hot exitfire's post and it says. "Are you new here? Is my middle name". Must be a typo since he just posted a phrase and it is missing one word....

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #141 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 19:23:58 »
I'd be down for some UV reactive colors.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 19:29:18 »
Any color suggestions for the UV reactive colors?

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 19:34:32 »

Something of the purple variety would be amazing. That's one of the only missing UV reactive colors to date.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 19:37:14 »
We should make a faded purple bordering on pink that is UV reactive for ExitMaster Perhaps?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 19:48:06 »

Something of the purple variety would be amazing. That's one of the only missing UV reactive colors to date.

Came here to say purple.

+1 Best color ever

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #146 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 19:49:48 »
I'm going to try to make a faded purple tomorrow since you guys ant purple and FC was suggesting a faded color so a mix of both should be fair.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 19:50:07 »
We should make a faded purple bordering on pink that is UV reactive for ExitMaster Perhaps?

<3 Pink and Purple
Sounds awesome!  :thumb:

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 19:50:55 »
I'm doing a pinkish purple.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 19:53:37 »
I'm in love with this idea.