Author Topic: Help with lifted diode pads (KMAC)  (Read 2924 times)

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
Help with lifted diode pads (KMAC)
« on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 03:13:55 »
I was trying to swap switches in a KMAC LE that used in-switch, through-hole diodes. It's extremely embarrassing for me to admit that this did not go well - I've completely annihilated the following things:

- The |\ key's through-hole circle diode pad
- The E key's through-hole square diode pad
- The SMD pads closest to each of the above

So now the following keys don't seem to register: Tab QWERTYUIOP[] though to my surprise, \| still does.

Long story short: soldapullt only, no wick; through-holes were destroyed first; I noticed those keys didn't register; I attempted SMDs over and over to work around that problem; those keys still refrained from registering; my sloppiness destroyed the SMD pads.. it was a pretty frustrating night.

I wasn't sure if it was possible to re-route anything with loose wire, given the fact that it this is an issue with the diodes (it's pretty easy for me to figure out what to do when I lift a pad for a regular MX switch leg).

If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this, I'd be extremely grateful. I would also be happy to know of the rarity and prices of replacement KMAC LE PCBs, or other PCBs that would fit in an Winkeyless KMAC LE case/plate. Though, please spare any insults, as I already understand the nature of my idiocy. Thanks.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 April 2015, 04:31:59 by cgbuen »

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
Re: Help with lifted diode pads (KMAC)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 23:24:14 »
As long as there is ANY trace extending from the missing pad you may be ok.  CAREFULLY scrape the conformal coating off the adjoining trace to expose the copper.  Tin the trace and you can solder to the trace directly.

If the circuit was using that hole as a via to conduct to the other side of the board, you may need to get tricky with a piece of jumper wire, which starts to suck in a big hurry.  If all you need is happening on the exposed side of the board, you might be good.
Jesus loves you.

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 04:37:26 »
If the circuit was using that hole as a via to conduct to the other side of the board, you may need to get tricky with a piece of jumper wire

Ding ding ding ding ding

I am now voting for David.

Thanks!!! :cool:

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 17:50:59 »
Haha, good for you!   :thumb:  If you don't vote for me, at least don't tell bad stories about me ;)
Jesus loves you.

Offline radish

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 01:30:20 »
Haha, good for you!   :thumb:  If you don't vote for me, at least don't tell bad stories about me ;)

Got my vote. glad to see this worked.  also sorry if this brought  a rip thread back from the dead.

LZ CP