Author Topic: Modular Cap System (MCS)  (Read 22859 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Modular Cap System (MCS)
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 23:41:05 »
I know everyone and their fricken mothers are doing FN caps, but I've been wanting to do some proper ones for a while and also wanted to release some when the MCS goes live, so here are some models I've worked out. 

Since FN caps tend to break symmetry and act as accent pieces, I wanted something that's not ostentatious, but also has a little character.  I went for a design that's simple, but also plays with a lack of symmetry while also giving someone good tactility.

The logo on the back may or may not stay.  I plan on doing them as fixed stems and as MCS caps.  MCS will be much more expensive (~$10-12), but useable on more caps.  In the future I may do a pick your poison pack with the stems you want and charging a fixed price for the stems.  People who use the system are free to do it however they want.  When I get more feedback, I may have more modifications.  I've been thinking about a cross or t-shaped indent in addition to the center stem to better center the stem, but I'm always open to feedback to make it better.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 23:43:31 »
I know everyone and their fricken mothers are doing FN caps, but I've been wanting to do some proper ones for a while and also wanted to release some when the MCS goes live, so here are some models I've worked out. 

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Since FN caps tend to break symmetry and act as accent pieces, I wanted something that's not ostentatious, but also has a little character.  I went for a design that's simple, but also plays with a lack of symmetry while also giving someone good tactility.

The logo on the back may or may not stay.  I plan on doing them as fixed stems and as MCS caps.  MCS will be much more expensive (~$10-12), but useable on more caps.  In the future I may do a pick your poison pack with the stems you want and charging a fixed price for the stems.  People who use the system are free to do it however they want.  When I get more feedback, I may have more modifications.  I've been thinking about a cross or t-shaped indent in addition to the center stem to better center the stem, but I'm always open to feedback to make it better.
will these be 3d printed?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 23:46:28 »
3D printed masters but cast caps.  The stems will be 3D printed since that's the most cost and time effective route...that is assuming that the tolerances are still there and shrinkage isn't an issue.  If shrinkage is an issue, I'll have to revisit the design and come up with something that works a little better.

I actually cast a prototype to the prototype today.  The stem was ****ed because I didn't lube the master well enough and didn't take into effect how grippy a 3D print can be, but other than that, it turned out fantastic.  Once I get the update model, I'll cast it and see how it works out.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 23:56:29 »
I would be down for some FN caps nubs. Either MCS or not!  :)

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 04:18:43 »

Show Image

I just checked again the CAD you showed previously and I noticed 2 types of MX housing stem: a circular one and a rectangular one. Do you consider making the circular one so it could suit Topre-MX hybrid stem as on the Novatouch? That'd be sweet if you do so.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 13:14:15 »
Loving the FN design! Looking forward to getting my hands on one.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 15:55:47 »
Finally got around to addressing the issues.  I widened the BS stem a little, increased the size of the nubs on the side a little, and fixed the spring well.  I should also have fixed the Topre stem.  I submitted them to Shapeways, so I should know in about a week or two.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I may be a CADtard, but I think I'm getting the hang of TinkerCAD.  I know it still takes me much longer to do stuff than someone who knows what they're doing or who has access to AutoCAD, but it's fun.

This is pretty damn groundbreaking dude! Excited to see your new stems.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 17:13:08 »
Really cool idea. I would think if the keycap molds were made the production of keysets wouldn't be more expensive, just the added expense to the end consumer of purchasing the stems they need.

If anything I see custom keysets made with a modular system selling better and therefore hit lower prices

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 17:31:03 »
Really cool idea. I would think if the keycap molds were made the production of keysets wouldn't be more expensive, just the added expense to the end consumer of purchasing the stems they need.

If anything I see custom keysets made with a modular system selling better and therefore hit lower prices
Indeed it seems that people with less common stem aka ALPS etc. Have a hard time finding keycaps.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 17:46:20 »
This isn't really meant for mass designed caps.  I'd love if someone was willing to work with me and make it so that we could have an effective and easy to mold stem attachment point, but in its current iteration it's still not really ideal for swappable stems.  It is perfect for someone wanting to make a master and then produce that master in any stem of their choosing.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 17:48:31 »
This isn't really meant for mass designed caps.  I'd love if someone was willing to work with me and make it so that we could have an effective and easy to mold stem attachment point, but in its current iteration it's still not really ideal for swappable stems.  It is perfect for someone wanting to make a master and then produce that master in any stem of their choosing.

Oh yeah I remember you saying it was meant for the master. Well that's awesome man!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 19:39:41 »
Finally got the BS stem working.  It's tricky to get seated properly and I think I need to make some parts thicker, but it looks like I finally got it nailed down.  Now I have fully functional MX, Topre, BS, and Alps stems.  I still need to find a printer with high enough resolution to try out my hybrid MX/Topre stems.

Pardon the crappy cell phone video.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 19:47:41 »
Finally got the BS stem working.  It's tricky to get seated properly and I think I need to make some parts thicker, but it looks like I finally got it nailed down.  Now I have fully functional MX, Topre, BS, and Alps stems.  I still need to find a printer with high enough resolution to try out my hybrid MX/Topre stems.

Pardon the crappy cell phone video.

Very cool buddy. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 19:57:25 »
This is awesome to see Nubbs!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 20:11:37 »
Oooo, soon I can have a Clack on my Kingsaver :P

Amazing job nubbinator!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 04:21:29 »
Oooo, soon I can have a Clack on my Kingsaver :P

Amazing job nubbinator!

Shaddup. You don't like caps. :p

And, yeah, nice work, nubbies. Somehow I missed this til now. It is great thinking despite the cap security/wobbliness that the MCS might have. However, I think your idea is going to benefit other cap creators greatly, and thus crush your own biz!

There is always room for more FNs.

My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 10:56:49 »
Well, the modular part is for making the mold from the master, not the final design.  It allows a single master to be made and the stem to be swapped out for each.

As for the other part, I invested a pretty good amount of money into the design (getting prototypes made again and again to iron out kinks is not cheap), so I really don't have any plans of making it open source.  I may do some licensing or sell sets on Shapeways at a good mark-up to let people use it, but I invested too much time and money into it to do it for free. 

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 18:49:55 »
Got my TMX stem made up.  It looks like it's a success, but I haven't tried casting it yet.  I'll probably refine the stem a little, making it more octagon shaped.

Also made some BS modifications, not sure yet if they'll be better.  They're a little tight on my Model F, but they may shrink a little and be smoother when cast.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 18:59:42 »
Got my TMX stem made up.  It looks like it's a success, but I haven't tried casting it yet.  I'll probably refine the stem a little, making it more octagon shaped.

Show Image

Also made some BS modifications, not sure yet if they'll be better.  They're a little tight on my Model F, but they may shrink a little and be smoother when cast.

Ooooh, this would be very exciting to see happen!  Again, great job putting in all this effort to develop something novel.  :thumb:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 16:53:10 »
I realize I never posted a proof of concept.  It works pretty damn well.  It's nice and snug on both, but the shrinkage may change that a little.  I may make some of the internals thicker just to confirm.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 17:05:55 »
I realize I never posted a proof of concept.  It works pretty damn well.  It's nice and snug on both, but the shrinkage may change that a little.  I may make some of the internals thicker just to confirm.

Damn that's sick, it'd be awesome to have a TMX artisan or fn.

Also that color matched Dolly looks great.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 20:13:12 »
Modular sounded great but I missed the plan for a TMX stem and now it's not just a plan but a functional cap!  Awesome work nubbinator :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 22:54:35 »

Ha!  Black-face dolly!  That is hilarious. 

The new design for the stem looks sick, exited to see how it casts.   :thumb:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 22:55:44 »

Oh ****!  I'm not racist, I swear!  Umm, up next, Honky White Dolly.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 23:04:49 »

Oh ****!  I'm not racist, I swear!

Said every racist ever.  :))  Good to see progress being made on the TMX stems :thumb:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 23:10:05 »

Said every racist ever.  :))  Good to see progress being made on the TMX stems :thumb:

What's funny is I just thought, hey, this is a cool color scheme that would go with a set I have, let's do it.  Then Badwrench makes me racist.  ****.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 23:11:02 »

The new design for the stem looks sick, excited to see how it casts.   :thumb:

Oh ****!  I'm not racist, I swear!  Umm, up next, Honky White Dolly.

Or just the opposite

http://www.metatube.com/en/videos/165662/WHITE-LIKE-ME/

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 23:13:37 »

What's funny is I just thought, hey, this is a cool color scheme that would go with a set I have, let's do it.  Then Badwrench makes me racist.  ****.

It's hard to just be neutral and find things non offensive but funny from behind a computer screen. 

Sorry Nubs to bring up race in your thread, I also agree that the color combo goes well with your board. 

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #78 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 07:52:30 »

It's like magic!  :eek:

Awesome work  :thumb:
Please keep at it and licence it out to every cap maker out there (artisan and factory). I don't have Topre yet, but just thinking that the caps could be used on either would be ****ing great

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 12:15:09 »

That's so freaking cool.

If you need people to test the fitment...  :rolleyes:  ;)

srsly tho, this is really exciting to see.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 12:17:50 »
Neaty mosquity.

Offline m1kehonch0

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 08:25:49 »
I'm late to the party... But if this happens I want in. What's the status?

Offline menuhin

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 21:21:05 »
Necro!

It's a nice project indeed!
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline tobsn

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 20:20:32 »

Are those 3D files available somewhere? :D