Author Topic: Buying on Reddit  (Read 1134 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Buying on Reddit
« on: Sat, 08 May 2021, 14:16:39 »
I never bought anything on reddit.
Now, planning to buy keyboard, $500.

How can I make sure I won't lose money in case of scam?
Seller has Reputation: 15 trade(s) - not sure how to even check these.

If he sends me paypal invoice, once he posts it and provide proof of postage, he's covered.
How about myself?
Do you guys buy stuff on reddit?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Buying on Reddit
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 May 2021, 14:18:44 »
Make sure you video tape yourself opening the box.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 May 2021, 23:53:09 »
I mostly sell on Reddit. I think I've bought on Reddit twice.

Generally, the reputation is in a user's "flair" (text to the right of the username unique to each subreddit) which is incremented by a bot on that subreddit. After two parties have conducted a successful transaction, one posts in the monthly trade thread, tagging the other party and describing what he sold or bought and linking to the thread. The other party confirms the transaction, and the flair is adjusted by the bot (or maybe an admin).

As far as protecting yourself, make sure the seller has posted a timestamped photo (a picture of all the products included with a handwritten note including his username and the date the listing was created), use Paypal Goods and Services so that you have some recourse if you don't receive the item(s). Insist on shipping insurance and also a tracking number. You can also preempt some problems by asking for additional photos of any damage or wear on the item and asking how the seller will pack the item to prevent damage. TP4's suggestion of making an unboxing video isn't a half bad idea either if you're really paranoid. That would prevent any claim that you damaged it.

I've never been burned, but it is risky since it's randos on the Internet. Beyond what I described, just go with your gut feeling.

<rant>
From a seller's perspective, I ask you to tell the seller you are backing out of the transaction if you decide not to buy. I can't tell you how many people send me messages of interest, even to the point of negotiating a price and telling me to send them an invoice, and then vanish when I ask for the Paypal email address to send it to. Or I don't accept the first lowball offer and they never respond to my counteroffer. It's better to say no than nothing!
</rant>
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 08:22:25 »

Or I don't accept the first lowball offer and they never respond to my counteroffer.

I have never used reddit for anything but I have been active on ebay for many years. And, I suppose that I am not a typical user, but I am person who does not like or respect "price negotiation".

When I make an offer on something it is not because I want to engage in a protracted back-and-forth. If you list something at $10 and I make an offer for $5, it is not because I am fishing for a counter-offer of $7. It is because $5 is what I would be willing to pay for it. You shouldn't feel insulted if you don't get a response to an unsolicited counteroffer.

That said, there have been times that, after further deliberation, I have decided to go ahead and pay the $10. But, like I said, I am atypical. Some people think of price negotiation as a game and enjoy playing it. I don't.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"