Author Topic: [IC] REBEL - SA keycap set  (Read 207396 times)

Offline Niomosy

Re: [IC] REBEL - A Star Wars inspired SA set [updated 03.21.16]
« Reply #200 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 19:10:35 »
Space bar sounds like an interesting idea, conceptually.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #201 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 18:44:31 »

What about the spacebar as yellow polycarb for the visor?

I like the way you think.  :thumb:

;)

Offline Corusco

« Reply #202 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 19:24:48 »
I would be stoked to see some polycarb love for the Ergodox/Planck crowd. ;)

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #203 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 01:21:15 »

Already done, will be in the next update.
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #204 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 13:34:01 »

Already done, will be in the next update.

hell ya. polycarb vertical 2u keys would be dooooooope on my dox

Offline wongie

Re: [IC] REBEL - A Star Wars inspired SA set [updated 03.25.16]
« Reply #205 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 17:50:19 »
Any chance of a black delete key as part of the stripe kit for those with 65% boards with the del placed to the right of backspace?

Offline muon

« Reply #206 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 18:14:16 »
Count me in!

Offline Geekmie

« Reply #207 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 21:03:26 »
This set rocks~ any timeline on GB?

Offline Porkins

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #208 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 09:02:05 »

I'm hoping soon. I got an orange pcb and a black plate coming from Leandren round 4 that this would go perfectly with.
Custom KC60

Offline trotXid

« Reply #209 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 12:25:17 »
Any chance of a black delete key as part of the stripe kit for those with 65% boards with the del placed to the right of backspace?

Show Image

I do not see a black space bar in any of the updated kits either.  Would love a 2u one with the planck kit!

Offline airs

Re: [IC] REBEL - A Star Wars inspired SA set [updated 04.05.16]
« Reply #210 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 20:39:24 »
Love it! Hope to see this GB become a reality!
Octagon v2, LZ CLS

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #211 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 03:32:36 »

No timeline yet, but I'm working on that.

Show Image

I do not see a black space bar in any of the updated kits either.  Would love a 2u one with the planck kit!

They'll be back.  I've just been tweaking kits a bit, I had a 2u in the planck kit but inadvertently removed it and forgot to put it back.

I just need to get an International kit done, finish up novelties and hopefully a 3D render will be done soon as well.  Speaking of novelties..

- Backspace is my favorite so far.  I thought about having each word on a 1.25/1.5u cap, not sure how cramped it would be all on a 2u cap.
- Red/yellow V, the tab and |\ wings and the enter key are based off helmet insignia.
- The star on print screen/pause is based off the Rogue Squadron logo.
- Scroll lock is a cut down version of the Rebel logo.  That one I'm unsure about. 

Any other ideas, let me know.  None of them are final, just rough mockups currently.

Offline Xiro7

« Reply #212 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 13:48:29 »

No timeline yet, but I'm working on that.

Show Image

They'll be back.  I've just been tweaking kits a bit, I had a 2u in the planck kit but inadvertently removed it and forgot to put it back.

I just need to get an International kit done, finish up novelties and hopefully a 3D render will be done soon as well.  Speaking of novelties..

Show Image

- Backspace is my favorite so far.  I thought about having each word on a 1.25/1.5u cap, not sure how cramped it would be all on a 2u cap.
- Red/yellow V, the tab and |\ wings and the enter key are based off helmet insignia.
- The star on print screen/pause is based off the Rogue Squadron logo.
- Scroll lock is a cut down version of the Rebel logo.  That one I'm unsure about. 

Any other ideas, let me know.  None of them are final, just rough mockups currently.

Are you planning on incorporating the Rebel/Empire symbols into the novelties at all?

Offline punkpc

« Reply #213 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 22:31:47 »
I like the Rebel Scum for the black strip Backspace,

but I liked the Rebel Logo you did here for the Enter key too.

And the Full Rebel logo I think looks better then the half one.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #214 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 00:45:54 »

Show Image

And the Full Rebel logo I think looks better then the half one.

Show Image

The thing with the full logo is copyright.  If I remember correctly, Signature Plastics has printed both the Imperial and Rebel logos in an earlier round of Granite.  I don't know if they'd do it again without permission.  I've contacted the person in charge of that stuff at Disney a couple times, but I never got anywhere.

Offline Jedi

Re: [IC] REBEL - A Star Wars inspired SA set [updated 04.10.16]
« Reply #215 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 00:51:53 »
When do you plan to submit to Signature Plastics for pricing on a few of the sets with the novelties?  It would be good to know whether SP would plan to run this. 

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #216 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 01:04:39 »
When do you plan to submit to Signature Plastics for pricing on a few of the sets with the novelties?  It would be good to know whether SP would plan to run this.

As soon as I have a decent set going, I'll submit them and see what they have to say. 

*To answer your question a little better, this coming week I will shoot them an email.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 April 2016, 02:13:57 by Pwner »

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #217 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 02:16:08 »
Alright so you guys that want a ergodox kit, help me out.  I have a temporary one in the OP with the polycarb 2u keys that were requested but I've also been messing around with this:

Thoughts, ideas, yes, no?  Help me make the kit you guys want.  :thumb:

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #218 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 03:23:33 »
I just realized you added the polycarb space bars that I suggested. They are gonna look fire!!

Offline Jedi

« Reply #219 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 09:00:08 »
I love the ergodox render. The great thing about picking up an ergodox kit is the blank keys that come with the set. This has what I like to think are extra keys in black, white, and orange which always end up being useful for plancks and other boards too.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #220 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 09:05:52 »
*To answer your question a little better, this coming week I will shoot them an email.

Cool man, it would definitely secure strong interest to move this to a group buy stage.

Would you also consider starting a poll over there on Massdrop to spur the interest for the set?

Also a post across the pond on reddit would definitely be a good thing too. You're attention to detail is spot on now time to kick it up full hype!

Awesome work by the way, I'm a true fan of your artwork too!

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #221 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 14:45:50 »
Great work. Looks fantastic!  :thumb:

Color scheme is really nice. Love the idea of the dark stripe kit.

I am definitely interested. 100% committed if there will be international ISO kits available.

Keep up the good work!

Offline Xiro7

« Reply #222 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 17:23:59 »
Alright so you guys that want a ergodox kit, help me out.  I have a temporary one in the OP with the polycarb 2u keys that were requested but I've also been messing around with this:

Show Image

Anyway to get the text on the Ergo kit? Similar to Danger Zone or Granite ergodox kits.

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
« Reply #223 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 12:35:15 »
Not sure I personally care for the 'Rebel Scum' cap, but I can see what you're going for.  To each their own!  Regardless if you end up doing this and it can happen this is going to be awesome.  Think it'd be possible to make the 5 key with red legends?  ;)
Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #224 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 05:19:26 »

Cool man, it would definitely secure strong interest to move this to a group buy stage.

Would you also consider starting a poll over there on Massdrop to spur the interest for the set?

Also a post across the pond on reddit would definitely be a good thing too. You're attention to detail is spot on now time to kick it up full hype!

Awesome work by the way, I'm a true fan of your artwork too!

I talked with Yanbo from MD last week so a MD poll will certainly be happening.  Same with the post to r/mk.  If you or anyone else wants to post a link over there before I do, feel free.  I'll post it again when the poll is ready on MD.

Show Image

Anyway to get the text on the Ergo kit? Similar to Danger Zone or Granite ergodox kits.

I wouldn't mind doing the legends.  Personally I think it looks more 'complete'.  The thing is, there are too many variations and I don't want to leave anyone out.

Not sure I personally care for the 'Rebel Scum' cap, but I can see what you're going for.  To each their own!  Regardless if you end up doing this and it can happen this is going to be awesome.  Think it'd be possible to make the 5 key with red legends?  ;)

Way back when I started this set I wanted to do something like this.  This set was initially based heavily off Luke Skywalker and I had a Red 5 cap.  Since one of the novelties is an element from the Rogue Squadron, which coincidentally had 12 members that would be perfect to cover the F-row.  I could always change it to the R-row,  R1-R12?  I don't know how well that would be received.  If you have any ideas, drop a line.

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #225 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 05:36:04 »

Show Image

Any chance for an ErgoDox kit like the one above, but either with all blanks, or aurebesh alphas + number row (or even better, aurebesh + remaining keys blank)? Ideally, I do not want anything QWERTY (or for that matter, anything "normal" alpha) on my keyboard. Symbols are fine...

I love the colors, the color layout, and the symbols, but captions on the keys are something I do not want. And if I must, something symbolic. Aurebesh is something I could live with, but would still prefer blanks in the same colour.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #226 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 05:30:32 »

Show Image

Any chance for an ErgoDox kit like the one above, but either with all blanks, or aurebesh alphas + number row (or even better, aurebesh + remaining keys blank)? Ideally, I do not want anything QWERTY (or for that matter, anything "normal" alpha) on my keyboard. Symbols are fine...

I love the colors, the color layout, and the symbols, but captions on the keys are something I do not want. And if I must, something symbolic. Aurebesh is something I could live with, but would still prefer blanks in the same colour.

Blanks will most likely be an option so you should be good.  Maybe a 5-10 pack of 1u orange blanks would be a good choice for that situation.

That brings up another issue that I didn't really think about.  If some people only want the Aurebesh kit, they would be forced to buy the standard alphas as well for the remaining keys.  The Aurebesh kit is on the fence of being pricey as is so I don't really want to add more keys to it.  Maybe some type of non-custom mono legend keys would fit in.  I'll have to think about what to do here, although it hasn't really been mentioned, so maybe it isn't as much of an issue as I think.

Offline algernon

• Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #227 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 05:34:24 »
Blanks will most likely be an option so you should be good.  Maybe a 5-10 pack of 1u orange blanks would be a good choice for that situation.

That brings up another issue that I didn't really think about.  If some people only want the Aurebesh kit, they would be forced to buy the standard alphas as well for the remaining keys.  The Aurebesh kit is on the fence of being pricey as is so I don't really want to add more keys to it.  Maybe some type of non-custom mono legend keys would fit in.  I'll have to think about what to do here, although it hasn't really been mentioned, so maybe it isn't as much of an issue as I think.

Aurebesh + ErgoDox kit + blanks for the rest? For those who do not want full blanks, or prefer Aurebesh. (I may be interested in such a setup... but would likely buy enough blanks for the whole keyboard, just in case I end up not liking Aurebesh in the end)

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #228 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 05:38:44 »

Aurebesh + ErgoDox kit + blanks for the rest?

Yup.  That sounds like it would be your best way to go.  On PMK's store, 1u keys are $12 for a pack of 10.  So I'll probably have at least the orange 1u in a 10 pack as an option.

Offline Corusco

« Reply #229 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 19:40:09 »

I had thought about this, but I'll be using this on an Ergodox, so I won't need the space/Fn/arrows , and I don't mind having Earth-based symbols on some of my keys, so I'll be using the stripe kit to get my numbers. Not a big issue for me, as I have a solution. Others might chime in now that you've pointed it out.

Offline deeoh

Re: [IC] REBEL - A Star Wars inspired SA set [updated 04.13.16]
« Reply #230 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 16:36:46 »
I'd be interested in having the aurebesh kit just as complete as the standard alphas, but I understand if that's not feasible. I'd be okay buying the stripe to get the rest of the keys needed.

Offline JDragon

« Reply #231 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 16:22:30 »
Loving the novelties. Would be cool to get some of the X-Wing wing markings as a novelty... or a "Lock S-Foils" key. :D

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #232 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 23:42:28 »
So Pwner,

When is this R3 SA set going into SP's molds?

I hope you're not waiting for the Second Star Wars Movie release, for these to be available?

Offline cozmonort

• Coz Caps
« Reply #233 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 09:17:34 »
Loving the novelties!

I think I need this to go with my star wars ps4 controllers!!

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #234 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 04:32:38 »
So Pwner,

When is this R3 SA set going into SP's molds?

I hope you're not waiting for the Second Star Wars Movie release, for these to be available?

I'm not sure, how much pull do you have with the people from MD?  :p

I am nearing the finish of most of the kits.  I was hoping to have an email off to SP by now and a poll up on MD but I have been insanely busy at work.  I'm thinking of dropping back to 1 color choice for the modifiers, having 2 is just making it necessary to make multiple kits of every child set.  We'll see once I get the poll set up.  If it's a landslide towards white or gray, I'll probably cut one.

Also, International kit was added to the OP.  There is probably quite a few mistakes as I was just going off a few other sets kits so feel free to chime in with input.  New rough draft of novelties was also added.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
Re: [IC] REBEL - A Star Wars inspired SA set [updated 04.24.16]
« Reply #235 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 04:39:37 »
Another thing to add:

Would this work for the Aurebesh kit?  I think that would just about cover everything if you didn't want to buy both sets of alphas..

Offline algernon

• Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #236 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 05:39:28 »
Another thing to add:

Show Image

Would this work for the Aurebesh kit?  I think that would just about cover everything if you didn't want to buy both sets of alphas..

This looks reasonable to me.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #237 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 08:21:12 »
I'm not sure, how much pull do you have with the people from MD?  :p

The pipe is getting crazy full especially for new SA kits.  I'd start with shortening the color options you're looking for in this first round and give a list to Melissa soon so they can start working on what all its going to take.  Keep in mind there are about a half dozen or more sets in mind for drop or group buy already and SP typically can only put about 1.5 sets in production at a time and production tends to run about 3 to 4 weeks straight (excluding delivery time, material shortage, etc etc).  So realistically this could happen but the drop schedule could be some time out before the set is submitted to production. 

Plus you need to consider timing between drops.  Back to back drops can tighten the budgets for everyone which limits the buy potential so while the interest could be immensely strong, there can always be the risk the buy is not as successful as it would otherwise be.  Plus we still need to get a go on the novelties, whether SP wants to do them and also whether they can do them.

Take your time, cross check your files for accuracy and lets see what SP can come back to you with :thumb:

Offline PriusProblems

• No ISO, no interest.
« Reply #238 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 12:24:09 »
I can't believe that I have only discovered this set now - it is beautiful and would be a great match for the Jelly Key spacebar that is currently on MassDrop! Thank you for the full ISO UK support as well!

Offline deeoh

« Reply #239 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 13:22:30 »
Another thing to add:

Show Image

👍👍👍👍

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #240 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 20:35:32 »
Another thing to add:

Show Image

I will be getting this set for sure.

Offline JDragon

« Reply #241 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 13:18:07 »
Aurebesh set looks great! Can't wait.

« Reply #242 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 13:27:45 »
The new novelties look great.  Definitely more of what I would expect from something titled "Rebel."

Just as an idea, I think the silhouette of the Nebulon-B Frigate could be really cool as the 1.5u key.  I'd consider myself knowledgeable about Star Wars, but for the life of me I can't place the current 1.5u design.

Still very interested.

Keep up the great work!

Offline chromex

• hats
    • loren.io
« Reply #243 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 00:21:28 »
I am very very in for this -- really enjoying the variety of supported layouts from what feels like a visually iconic set. Thanks for putting it together!

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #244 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 05:05:06 »
The pipe is getting crazy full especially for new SA kits.  I'd start with shortening the color options you're looking for in this first round and give a list to Melissa soon so they can start working on what all its going to take.  Keep in mind there are about a half dozen or more sets in mind for drop or group buy already and SP typically can only put about 1.5 sets in production at a time and production tends to run about 3 to 4 weeks straight (excluding delivery time, material shortage, etc etc).  So realistically this could happen but the drop schedule could be some time out before the set is submitted to production. 

Plus you need to consider timing between drops.  Back to back drops can tighten the budgets for everyone which limits the buy potential so while the interest could be immensely strong, there can always be the risk the buy is not as successful as it would otherwise be.  Plus we still need to get a go on the novelties, whether SP wants to do them and also whether they can do them.

Take your time, cross check your files for accuracy and lets see what SP can come back to you with :thumb:

I know it will be a while.  I'm in no real rush.  I still have plenty to do and with the hours I'm working, I'm finding very little time to do any of it lol.  I will use the Massdrop poll as a guide as far as shortening options and whatnot.  I will get back with Melissa as soon as possible and get the poll set up whenever my job will let me.  Maybe I'll take a vacation day so I can knock this stuff out.  I could certainly use one!

Thank you for the continued feedback.  I appreciate it.  :thumb:

I'd consider myself knowledgeable about Star Wars, but for the life of me I can't place the current 1.5u design.

Taken from some of the helmet symbols.

Though to be honest, I'm not really fond of it so I used it more so as a placeholder.  I'll figure something out.

I am very very in for this -- really enjoying the variety of supported layouts from what feels like a visually iconic set. Thanks for putting it together!

Trying to support as many layouts as possible.  Thanks for your support!
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 April 2016, 05:09:40 by Pwner »

Offline jflans

« Reply #245 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 16:15:01 »
Love the look of this set!

+1 to an Ergodox set w/ legends - I think what Danger Zone did is really great and could serve as guidelines on what to include.

Offline Skysophrenic

« Reply #246 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 12:15:53 »
Drool - so long I can get Alphas I'd be so happy

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
Re: [IC] REBEL - SA keycap set [Massdrop poll is up!]
« Reply #248 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 07:02:59 »
Voted!  Good luck man.  This needs to happen.
Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!

Re: [IC] REBEL - SA keycap set [Massdrop poll is up!]
« Reply #249 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 09:25:01 »
Voted.

Good luck!