Author Topic: [GB] MIRA SE - Custom 80% Keyboard (CLOSED)  (Read 497433 times)

Offline SixtyLife

(Attachment Link)

damn.. I like the prototypes in op but not feeling the new ticker bezels here. is this the final version? seems like in OP the A87 PCB compatibility was dropped and it sounds like the wider bezels had been to try to accommodate for that bigger pcb?
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline SpareWalrus

(Attachment Link)

damn.. I like the prototypes in op but not feeling the new ticker bezels here. is this the final version? seems like in OP the A87 PCB compatibility was dropped and it sounds like the wider bezels had been to try to accommodate for that bigger pcb?
I sincerely hope what we get is closer to OP as well as that's my preference too (and what I paid for). Hard to tell from that mockup though, so we'll wait and see. Still excited, but do hope we get the same bezels as OP.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
I hope ninja can answer it better, but the bezel is supposed to be just slightly thicker than those prototypes, not significantly thicker.  For structural integrity.  I picked that image to show the tweak to the logo.  (I'm not involved in the actual communication with the CAD person nor the factory, I'm just passing on what know).
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline SpareWalrus

I hope ninja can answer it better, but the bezel is supposed to be just slightly thicker than those prototypes, not significantly thicker.  For structural integrity.  I picked that image to show the tweak to the logo.  (I'm not involved in the actual communication with the CAD person nor the factory, I'm just passing on what know).
Makes sense. That image didn't look significantly wider, so not too worried.

Offline I_need_a_bath

Does anyone know if we're getting the small or large fillet for the top of the case? The small looks so much better...

The case bezel will be slightly wider on the outer edges than on this prototype, but the curves will be basically like this, with the outer edge being smoothly rounded:

Show Image

Show Image

Hopefully those photos answer your question?

(Also, the logo will be modified from the above prototype to separate the double-star symbol from the name a bit and change the size of the circles, so it looks less like O'MIRA).

Yes, thank you! That looks so much better than the huge fillet from the Chinese GB!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
(Attachment Link)

That's a very big difference. Why wasn't this addressed before payment, and why are we only finding out now?

(I know it's Ninja that manages this, so that's more directed towards him.)

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
(Attachment Link)

That's a very big difference. Why wasn't this addressed before payment, and why are we only finding out now?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Once again, the "changes" are supposed to be minor tweaks to improve the overall design (structural integrity, for example).  They are not "very big differences".  You are not even seeing the final product, so don't panic. 

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
The O'Mira looks nice either way, wish I jumped on this GB

Offline LDobler

How did the logo get changed?

I don't see a difference... :x

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
The O'Mira boys riding again!
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator

There's just a separation now between the logo and the word, and the size of the double star circles was tweaked slightly.  It's a small change, but enough to not look like "O'MIRA" anymore.

Offline LDobler

There's just a separation now between the logo and the word, and the size of the double star circles was tweaked slightly.  It's a small change, but enough to not look like "O'MIRA" anymore.
Thanks for clarification! :)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Once again, the "changes" are supposed to be minor tweaks to improve the overall design (structural integrity, for example).  They are not "very big differences".  You are not even seeing the final product, so don't panic. 

I can't help but feel there was a bit of "bait and switch" here unfortunately.

This was posted in the OP.

Posted on March 31st.

New bezel.

The revised logo looks great, but the bezel is a massive disappointment (as the thinness was a massive positive for me). I hope its identical to those color accurate pictures.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
The case will be widened by literally 1mm on the sides from the prototype for structural reasons (internal cut-outs around the PCB).  I posted that image to show the logo tweak.  "bait and switch"  is quite a bit of an exaggeration.  (You are transferring your order anyway).
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 May 2017, 11:48:29 by Photoelectric »

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
i agree with xondat on this one. that new render looks like the "tweaks" have changed more than just the logo. were these changes made for structural integrity, or to accommodate the b.87 pcb? changes like this should not be happening so last-minute, especially without input of everyone who has already paid.

ninja's absence has been a bit unsettling through this whole process also. where is the man behind the curtain?

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
i agree with xondat on this one. that new render looks like the "tweaks" have changed more than just the logo. were these changes made for structural integrity, or to accommodate the b.87 pcb? changes like this should not be happening so last-minute, especially without input of everyone who has already paid.

ninja's absence has been a bit unsettling through this whole process also. where is the man behind the curtain?

That new photo isn't a render. That photo was meant to show the logo and isn't representative of the edge changes.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
I've made the text I posted above bold for emphasis.  Take out your rulers and check how long 1mm is.  Add that on the left and right side of the prototype.  You get the result.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
I support the changes in the logo, and I won't bank on the bezel changes being an issue. 2mm is really nothing.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Offline pace8500

« Last Edit: Tue, 26 September 2023, 06:22:43 by pace8500 »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Is anybody looking to transfer their spot?

I am, although I have 2 interested at minute.

Offline pace8500

« Last Edit: Tue, 26 September 2023, 06:22:36 by pace8500 »

Offline ninjadoc

(Attachment Link)

I thought it was addressed. The original prototype was designed for the A87. I'm not going to poing fingers - but the board size was changed without my knowledge and I didn't know enough CAD to know it. I now know more CAD than before and can pick up issues like this.

Offline ninjadoc

I understand my absence is unsettling. I'm not going to make excuses but I now understand the lack of communication from leaders of group buys. If you have nothing to say or you don't like what you would say then you find it better to say nothing at all.

Offline theanyday

• love love love

I understand my absence is unsettling. I'm not going to make excuses but I now understand the lack of communication from leaders of group buys. If you have nothing to say or you don't like what you would say then you find it better to say nothing at all.

Thanks for the updates  :thumb: just a "nothing new" would suffice. Just so we know you are still alive and well. That way no one feels bamboozled. Again thanks* for everything so far!
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 May 2017, 08:38:27 by theanyday »
MIRA SE | White Fox w/ 67g Zealios | POK3R w/ Blues | K70 w/ Browns | Planck w/ Greens | NovaTouch TKL

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."

Pretty ridiculous comment. "Bait and Switch" implies fraud, which is a serious accusation. Even using it in quotation marks is pretty bs.

The board is being widened by a mm. I'm not arguing that it's better or worse, but I am saying it's super inaccurate to call this a "bait and switch". Is it a design change? Sure. Is it a "bait and switch", definitely not.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 May 2017, 19:47:49 by limitz »
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline ninjadoc

Update in second post of the thread

Offline ninjadoc

Show Image

This was posted in the OP.

Show Image

Posted on March 31st.

Show Image

New bezel.

The revised logo looks great, but the bezel is a massive disappointment (as the thinness was a massive positive for me). I hope its identical to those color accurate pictures.

As Limitz has said "bait and switch" implies charging for a higher price item and replacing it with a cheaper, more inferior product. The design changes were neither - simply an attempt to produce the item I said I would fitting all the PCB's I said would fit the Mira. As I've said in the second post in the thread - I can't do that without a total redesign and a larger delay than we've had.
I find it interesting that you of all people would say this - how smooth was it getting your board produced?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
I was stating how I felt about the change(s), but no longer matters as I've sold my spot.

Offline SpareWalrus

Thanks for the transparency ninjadoc. I noticed in today's update you said there is a small delay - do we know how long that will be? Days? Weeks? Can't wait to get this thing under my fingers.

Offline pr0ximity

If anyone's looking to transfer a Lunar Grey or Silver please hit me up :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 May 2017, 05:22:45 by pr0ximity »
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
Are people here looking at different pictures or something? Are they misinterpretation shadows or something for part of the bezel? I have a pretty good eye for detail and you can BARELY see any thickness change. And honestly if you do notice that by some way, and have a problem with that small of a change first off HOLY ****, secondly, you probably shouldnt join group buys then. Small changes like that happen ALL the time in group buys especially ones for cases being ran for the first time. Id wager thats its extremely rare for a final version of a case to exactly match the design/prototype.

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
If I can't spot the difference does it mean I'm half blind  :eek:
http://monokei.co

Jane v2 | Jane v2 CE | Police | EXENT | KFE | KFE CE | Singa R1 | Jaguar | HHKB | Custom G80-3000 | Dalco 959mini | Haus | Kei | Hiro | Hidari | Tomo | Neko | Prophet | MXSS | TKL One | RS

Offline Sissy

If I can't spot the difference does it mean I'm half blind  :eek:
same, im very confused

Offline SixtyLife

yeah you guys are blind, but it's ok  :thumb:
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
And here I liked the O'Mira  :(

RIP

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder

RIP

It still lives on in our hearts <3
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder

RIP

It still lives on in our hearts <3

O'MIRA BROs FOR LYFE!!!!!

Offline limitz

RIP

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and strongeronly in our memories
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder

RIP

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and strongeronly in our memories

or in chyna

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder

RIP

or in chyna

Show Image

Chinatown?

Offline ninjadoc

That is what I want to know - the feeling about the logo - so please comment away.

Offline SpareWalrus

That is what I want to know - the feeling about the logo - so please comment away.
Hey ninjadoc, any word on how long production will be pushed back?

Offline ninjadoc

Hey ninjadoc, any word on how long production will be pushed back?

I'll get an idea in the next day or so and let everyone know

Offline poolside

Hmmm, I like the logo tweak!
However, will the size ratio between the small and big circles the same with the weight and that new logo?
I would prefer consistency.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator

Hmmm, I like the logo tweak!
However, will the size ratio between the small and big circles the same with the weight and that new logo?
I would prefer consistency.

Yes, I think that's the plan.

Offline limitz

For what it's worth, I like the logo tweak.

Will the weight on the back also be revised to reflect the new proportions?
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
I like the new logo.

Offline SpareWalrus

I like the new logo.
As do I. Extra white space is not a bad thing