Author Topic: Force Gauges for Key Switch Resistance  (Read 3413 times)

Offline didjamatic

Force Gauges for Key Switch Resistance
« on: Mon, 02 August 2010, 14:15:16 »
The Ripometer is by far the most accessible, reliable (no moving parts) and inexpensive way to accurately measure the resistance of a key switch.  But I wanted to find a gauge that could be used to do the same thing.   At first I wanted a digital gauge, but they are at too high of a price point.  I toyed with modding a $10 digital scale but then discovered you can get these gauges that are normally very expensive for a good price if you keep your eyes open.

I've been using these tension/push/force gauges for a while now and they are very reliable and accurate.  There are many manufacturers and any should be fine, just be sure you get a 100g version.  Preferably 10-100g.

Here's an ebay search you can save that will show you some good ones.  It's pretty broad so it will show a lot of things you don't want but most things you do should be there.  If you look often you'll find they pop up in the $5-20 range frequently.  And those are the Swiss/German/French gauges that are a few hundred retail.  There are some new ones from China that go for $45.

Here's a 10-100g Sherr Tumico like one of my gauges and an Arpo that looks good.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline British

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 August 2010, 05:18:45 »
Do they have some way to memorize the point at which the "pression" is released, or do you have to stare at it to measure the force ?

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 August 2010, 11:56:44 »
Some models have a needle you can adjust to stay in place at the max measurement.

I've found the same thing varying on boards Ripster, I just went through a Mint, unused blue ALPS board and it varies 60-63g.  Dirty boards can really vary as the switches binding can ad a ton of resistance, or well used boards can be weaker on overused keys vs. less used... or the opposite if the switches bind from overuse.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4