Author Topic: Turnadar warning..  (Read 2295 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Turnadar warning..
« on: Fri, 02 November 2018, 22:58:52 »
NE1 ever been close to one ?

Whuddup wit dat..

Downloading Twister ATM..  never finished watching it

Dat global warming..  sigh.......

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Turnadar warning..
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 November 2018, 23:59:57 »
If the father never held onto the storm cellar door.. he wouldn't have died..

Can't get over it.

It's like eating sea snails, if they don't port the back it'd be really hard to get it out.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 00:01:59 »
Why is the movie so blurry !!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 00:51:56 »
Bah.. got all xcite for nothing..

guess that's good..

no naders,  just rain..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 00:52:58 »
Hrrrrm.. Tp4 doesn't yet have a storm cellar..  basement has no concrete /steel top ..

Hrrrm...

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 01:22:23 »
Find a small inner room on the ground floor (or below ground if you have one), close all doors, get down on the ground, cover the backs of your heads, and stay there until the warning is over. Don't go near windows. Don't try to open or close them either--your only priority should be to get to safety. Stopping to grab anything that you will not need for certain in the next 15 minutes is a bad idea.

I live in the Kansas City area, which is a part of tornado alley. Our area and the areas surrounding us get tornado warnings a lot, usually in the spring, but sometimes in the fall or summer. I've also been feet away from a tornado, both away from home and--earlier this year--in my home. Tornadoes are unpredictable, and they can completely ignore entire areas. Your next door neighbor--on all sides of your house--can be fine and have minimal or no damage, and your house could be totaled. To quote my first phase electronics instructor, "Nature is a Mother."

There's not much you can do when a tornado hits, but there's a lot of things you should not do. Stay out from under bridges, for example--ditches along the side of the road are better, assuming they don't flood. Don't be an idiot and sit on your front porch filming one of the things--it's common for people to do it around here, but it's stupid. Stay out of sewers, draining pipes, and whatnot. Concrete is not your friend. Last of all, don't believe that the wind is what will kill you, and never assume that you're in the safe zone. The funnel cloud isn't what will kill you. It's the stuff flying around for up to a mile outside the funnel cloud that will. In fact, if you can see the funnel cloud in the distance, you're already in danger of being killed.

I love the movie Twister, but as a general rule, movies are absolutely worthless for learning practical knowledge. Even documentaries. Why? A fixed time span can't tell you everything you need to know. You're not going to watch an hour of people studying shark feeding habits and be a marine biologist, and you're not going to watch a two hour documentary about tornadoes and be a meteorologist. And by the time the information reaches you, chances are it will be outdated anyway. And that's assuming there is no bias, agenda or money factor involved. Just take movies, tv, etc for what they are and enjoy them.

Oh, and concrete walls can crumble if something hits them, and steel tops will be ripped off by the winds (assuming something doesn't just hit them). The sturdiness of your surroundings is irrelevant, it's the size and how low it is. Smaller, more enclosed spaces at or below ground level offer better protection--just look at pictures of houses hit by tornadoes. You'll notice that the innermost walls are often the least damaged.
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 05:36:35 »
A few.
Saw 3 in Texas, all EF1s and hit nothing.
Saw 5 in New Mexico, at one point I saw two on the ground and a funnel that never touched down (seeing two at once is rare, and a funnel is not a tornado until it touches ground). Again, probably EF1s and hit nothing.

I also almost got caught in the one that went through the St. Louis Airport (EF4), I witnessed that storm drop a few prior to hitting the Airport. I got to go through the carnage a few days later. It was bad but  very localized, while fast and hard hitting, it was a small tornado (EF scale is about speed, not size). They should have had the airport better prepared, we had spotters in the area chasing that cell and it had been dropping them for a while so it wasn't unexpected. I also went through Joplin 4 months and again 16 months after their massive EF5,  pictures don't do it justice and more than a year later it was still a total disaster. I've seen a lot of carnage, but nothing like that.

In my current state I accidentally rode out the edge of one in a car, had no idea it was one until it had passed, it was rain wrapped, making it really hard to see, pretty sure it was an EF1, maybe an EF2. A house I was supposed to be at (rescheduled 2 days earlier) was hit by one, I actually watched that one descend from my porch, while it was an EF1 at the time and did little damage, that cell later put down an EF4. In one season alone I had 5 wall clouds descend over my house, 3 of which turned into tornadoes a few miles down wind, usually EF1. Been a few others as well.

So yeah, a few.

Twister.. fun movie, but a complete fairy tale.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 10:05:49 »
A few.
Saw 3 in Texas, all EF1s and hit nothing.
Saw 5 in New Mexico, at one point I saw two on the ground and a funnel that never touched down (seeing two at once is rare, and a funnel is not a tornado until it touches ground). Again, probably EF1s and hit nothing.

I also almost got caught in the one that went through the St. Louis Airport (EF4), I witnessed that storm drop a few prior to hitting the Airport. I got to go through the carnage a few days later. It was bad but  very localized, while fast and hard hitting, it was a small tornado (EF scale is about speed, not size). They should have had the airport better prepared, we had spotters in the area chasing that cell and it had been dropping them for a while so it wasn't unexpected. I also went through Joplin 4 months and again 16 months after their massive EF5,  pictures don't do it justice and more than a year later it was still a total disaster. I've seen a lot of carnage, but nothing like that.

In my current state I accidentally rode out the edge of one in a car, had no idea it was one until it had passed, it was rain wrapped, making it really hard to see, pretty sure it was an EF1, maybe an EF2. A house I was supposed to be at (rescheduled 2 days earlier) was hit by one, I actually watched that one descend from my porch, while it was an EF1 at the time and did little damage, that cell later put down an EF4. In one season alone I had 5 wall clouds descend over my house, 3 of which turned into tornadoes a few miles down wind, usually EF1. Been a few others as well.

So yeah, a few.

Twister.. fun movie, but a complete fairy tale.

Tp4 saw a bunch of leaves whirling last night, but sadly the neighbors were not destroyed..

Offline JP

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 10:35:23 »
Not a tornado by any means but not quite sure what to call it. A couple years ago I was in the back yard when out of nowhere comes something like a miniature vortex of wind. I hear the rush of air and see dust flying up. In the backyard is a big plastic tarp that had some weight on it to secure it somewhat. Well the wind pulls it up and before I could rush to catch it went above my reach and lofted slowly in the air, soon going up altogether like a kite. I watched for several minutes as it went to high into the air to the point where it was like a spec of dust and finally it completely disappeared. I was not alone otherwise no one would have believed me.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 11:20:34 »
Tornados ****ing suck,I got to see the 2011 Joplin tornado through the hole it ripped in the roof,I moved my ass back to Vermont where the worst that can happen is a few feet of snow.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 13:24:09 »
Not a tornado by any means but not quite sure what to call it. A couple years ago I was in the back yard when out of nowhere comes something like a miniature vortex of wind. I hear the rush of air and see dust flying up. In the backyard is a big plastic tarp that had some weight on it to secure it somewhat. Well the wind pulls it up and before I could rush to catch it went above my reach and lofted slowly in the air, soon going up altogether like a kite. I watched for several minutes as it went to high into the air to the point where it was like a spec of dust and finally it completely disappeared. I was not alone otherwise no one would have believed me.

Sounds like JP wanted to leave kansas real bad..

What's going on JP,  how's life treatn' ya.

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 15:32:31 »
Tornados ****ing suck,I got to see the 2011 Joplin tornado through the hole it ripped in the roof,I moved my ass back to Vermont where the worst that can happen is a few feet of snow.

Yeah, Joplin may be a fair distance from the KC area, but that was close for comfort. To put things in perspective, I was born in the area in 84, lived here my whole life (minus slightly less than three months in Jacksonville back in 2007, that was a mistake). When Tornado Watches are announced, I don't go to sleep until they are over. Of course, the fact that as a child I actually slept through a tornado doesn't help my anxiety (I was on a massive amount of elavil for depression, which basically knocked me out cold), nor does the fact that I weighed only around 50 pounds then and I weigh far more than that now. The stuff that happened this past May doesn't help.

Some pics of what a tornado can do when it's still several miles from your home:
206658-0
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 18:49:46 »
Tornados like the Joplin one are rare, and even more rare when they hit a decent size town or city and even still more rare to be large, fast and hit a small city, however they are becoming more common.

Almost every place has some natural or weather phenomenon to deal with, be it fire, ice, snow, flooding, hurricanes, earthquakes, winds (Santa Anas ,anyone? ). Vermont gets hurricanes, blizzards, flooding (lots of flooding) and even the occasional tornado, all of which are increasing.

Some pics of what a tornado can do when it's still several miles from your home:
That isn't tornado damage if it's miles away, it's damage from the same storm cell, but not tornado damage.
Not to discount the damage though, anything dropping tornadoes is going to mess some things up, high winds, lots of water, hail the size of baseballs...

It's called a dust devil.
Dust devils are smaller with more updraft and less swirl than a tornado and they can be strong enough to lift small kids, bounce houses and trampolines. They rarely do much damage but can put on a nice show.

They happen a lot in dry sunny locations such as the southwest and are really common in Southern California and Arizona during summer.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline JP

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 09:20:56 »
It's called a dust devil.
Dust devils are smaller with more updraft and less swirl than a tornado and they can be strong enough to lift small kids, bounce houses and trampolines. They rarely do much damage but can put on a nice show.

They happen a lot in dry sunny locations such as the southwest and are really common in Southern California and Arizona during summer.

Neat. I wonder if that is where the "Dirt Devil" brand name came into being back in the day.

Also with three clicks of the heels of my ruby red slippers I was able to safely return home.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.