Author Topic: Perma profile pic?  (Read 6272 times)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Perma profile pic?
« on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 22:33:10 »
I have no idea how many times I've changed my profile pic in the past few years (too many).

But, how in the world do you guys keep the same profile pic?

This includes those that haven't had a profile pic in years. Just--how do you do it?

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
Re: Perma profile pic?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 22:39:32 »
I don’t feel I need to fiddle with it as I’m happy with my choice I suppose.  It’s quite unique and I think that’s another reason why I don’t tire of it.

Why do you change your’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 22:43:36 »
I have never given it a thought to change it, I usually choose an image once and leave it forever. I had changed my youtube avatar after nearly 10 years(almost 2 years ago now) just cause I wanted to use that avatar somewhere at least. Plus it isn't something I look at often unless I want to quickly glance through a thread to find my last post and what was said after the fact.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 22:44:02 »
It sets a brand for your profile, something people can recognize and know if they are wasting their time reading your post or not when skimming through a topic.

A lot of people see a pink Buu Boo and know they can just skip that comment and not really miss anything.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 22:53:27 »
Are we talking avatars or the 'profile pictures' seen under Show Images in one's profile?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 23:01:14 »
i don't really think about it

i just change it when i think about it

but i've got a brand so it's always the same kinds of stuff
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 23:14:40 »
I don’t feel I need to fiddle with it as I’m happy with my choice I suppose.  It’s quite unique and I think that’s another reason why I don’t tire of it.

Why do you change your’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, I'm not sure why I change mine.

It sets a brand for your profile, something people can recognize and know if they are wasting their time reading your post or not when skimming through a topic.

A lot of people see a pink Buu Boo and know they can just skip that comment and not really miss anything.

:))

Are we talking avatars or the 'profile pictures' seen under Show Images in one's profile?

Show Image

Mhm, I though avatar might be confusing to some people.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 23:37:53 »
no wife no life
I love Elzy

Offline portbaron

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 00:04:56 »
Gets the job done.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline Kavik

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 00:51:21 »
I usually don't read usernames when skimming through forums; I recognize people by their profile pictures, so it actually confuses me a bit each time you change yours. I am getting slightly better at recognizing the names and not just the pictures though.

I have wanted to upload one, but I really don't know what I would use, so I just never did.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 02:45:25 »
I think variants make the most sense for those who prefer keeping the same avy basis. Romevi is an example, and Halverson if you count shark variants by other users :p

Only a couple select forums I've come across have had a strong avatar creation culture (focus more on high quality masks, seasonal variants, hype variants, praise and critique). I've enjoyed being a part of them.

Offline JP

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 12:40:46 »
I've never changed mine and have even applied the same pic to other forums.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 12:45:24 »
I think variants make the most sense for those who prefer keeping the same avy basis. Romevi is an example, and Halverson if you count shark variants by other users :p

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Only a couple select forums I've come across have had a strong avatar creation culture (focus more on high quality masks, seasonal variants, hype variants, praise and critique). I've enjoyed being a part of them.

So all I need to do is commission an artist to make me a new avatar for every newly created holiday? _JK_ If there was an avatar of the month thing romevi would totally win all of the months

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 12:49:59 »

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

I've always wondered how he rotates those images. Does he do it manually every day? That would be easy to script if GH had an api... does GH have an API? (maybe I should just ask him myself)
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 13:28:34 »
I think this is the only forum I've ever bothered to have one on, I chose something that was relevant to the hobby as well as representing me.  I've not been that guy for nearly two years and have often thought of changing it, but to what?  So I haven't.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Coreda

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 14:59:58 »
So all I need to do is commission an artist to make me a new avatar for every newly created holiday? _JK_ If there was an avatar of the month thing romevi would totally win all of the months

It's possible to cultivate a community who'll contribute for their own reasons but based on what I've seen it takes a large userbase—both from a numbers PoV (a smaller number will be creating them vs requesting them) and having a wide audience—in addition to a board culture that appreciates and spends time discussing/rating/quoting avatars, providing various motivations for creating them and also having one others will like.

I've always wondered how he rotates those images. Does he do it manually every day? That would be easy to script if GH had an api... does GH have an API? (maybe I should just ask him myself)

I'd expect it would manually. There was a short-lived user account I enjoyed who switched avatars throughout the week to variants they'd create. Was always amusing until they were unceremoniously banned for being an alt account of a previously banned user. At the time I created a Halloween version of it which was then fittingly further transformed and used by other users following the ban. Coincidentally another reference to the user just this month I adapted into a Halloween variant. It's curious how some relatively obscure user from years ago can live on through avatars.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 20:55:39 »
I did try changing mine a while back, but people complained.  So I changed it back.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 21:00:04 »
I did try changing mine a while back, but people complained.  So I changed it back.

Ugghh.. don' let other people define you..

BE Yourself..

at least that's what all dem' selfhelp books say.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 21:03:12 »

Ugghh.. don' let other people define you..

BE Yourself..

at least that's what all dem' selfhelp books say.

I like the one I have now anyway.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 21:05:21 »
I don't use a profile picture because I don't like looking at it on the top left of the page.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 21:06:38 »
I don't use a profile picture because I don't like looking at it on the top left of the page.

On the top right of the page is an arrow that you can use to hide all that header info.  Makes each page a little cleaner.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 22:09:36 »
I write long boring, opinionated posts, sometimes on the offensive side. That's branding enough.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 October 2018, 22:12:10 by Findecanor »

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 03:28:17 »

Even though this has at some point come up before (and was clarified), I still think that your avatar is a Pokemon every time I see it.

Offline Fiery

• Click Clack Clock and a nice Thock
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 05:27:58 »
I have been using this picture for so long in multiple forums. It started when a friend of mine sent it to me saying it reminded him of me. The original file is also a super high quality png something like 3000x4000. So its easy to edit and not lose the quality
TP4 fanboy

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 05:34:01 »
i don't really think about it

i just change it when i think about it

but i've got a brand so it's always the same kinds of stuff

nice

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 06:07:05 »

On the top right of the page is an arrow that you can use to hide all that header info.  Makes each page a little cleaner.

###THIS
Is the main reason as to why I change my avatar less frequently.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 06:47:44 »

But then you can't see the News link :eek:  OK it's usually something you read years ago but occasionally it's useful, especially if you're not in a US friendly timezone.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 09:43:42 »
I think this is the only forum I've ever bothered to have one on, I chose something that was relevant to the hobby as well as representing me.  I've not been that guy for nearly two years and have often thought of changing it, but to what?  So I haven't.

Did you just switch you profile pic..?
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 10:23:21 »

Did you just switch you profile pic..?

:)) I did, as a result of thinking about what I said above.  A green eyed monster is a more accurate representation of my current state, maybe I'll make more to reflect my mood and swap regularly based on that.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 19:10:33 »
i'd have to say my choice was and will always be logical
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 19:22:04 »
Yea I love star wars too!
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 19:34:40 »

Offline JP

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 19:36:15 »
Any love for Battlestar Galactica?
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 19:51:49 »

I would rank Stargate above Battlestar..  Both better than Star wars though..   

Firefly
Strek
Stargate
Battlestar
Starwar

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 20:17:47 »

I enjoyed the original 40 years ago although it was a shameful Star Wars wannabe.

But the reboot was one of the best shows EVER, although its quality eroded as the series wound down.

PS - if you ever have a chance to attend one of Richard Hatch's talks, you should do it
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 20:48:19 »
tbh.. I spent like three hours making my profile gif and then another hour trying to figure out how to make my profile pic a gif..

Too much effort to make another.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 20:53:31 »
Firefly is so overrated, and the movie was poop. SORRY NERDS

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 21:07:17 »
PS - if you ever have a chance to attend one of Richard Hatch's talks, you should do it
That would be difficult. Richard Hatch died last year.
Even though I am not a BSG fan myself, I still know that he had a reputation for being great with fans at sci-fi conventions.

Firefly
Strek
Stargate
Battlestar
Starwar
Babylon 5 > all of the above.
The show was cursed though... Too many of the actors in it have died much too young.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 23:51:18 »
That would be difficult. Richard Hatch died last year.
Even though I am not a BSG fan myself, I still know that he had a reputation for being great with fans at sci-fi conventions.

Firefly
Strek
Stargate
Battlestar
Starwar
Babylon 5 > all of the above.
The show was cursed though... Too many of the actors in it have died much too young.

Hrrrm... babylon 5 would be difficult to place on the list.. On the one hand it's never been a very convincing show because of the lack of resources,  on the other hand the story is far more vast and deep without tediousness.

It would be impossible to remake Ba5 today with its scope, given the current cost of american labor.. which is truly unfortunate.. 

I agree B5 is better than battlestar and starwars for sure..   Between stargate and B5.. mmmm..

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 07:23:17 »

Richard Hatch died last year.

OMG! I had no idea!

Last time I saw him was DragonCon 2016 and he seemed quite healthy and full of life.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 19:13:14 »

"Spaahck"

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik