Author Topic: [IC] GMK >Terminal_ R2 GB NOW LIVE  (Read 24606 times)

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
  • Because You Need the Feels...
    • The Key Dot Company
Re: [IC] GMK >Terminal_ R2 PREVIEW POSTED Goes Live June 27, 2018
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 12:09:49 »
What are the sizes on the 40s Space bars?  Just curious to make sure that the r4c was the only 2u in that?  Thanks!

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 12:12:59 »
Thanks! :thumb:

Offline vonswoopington

« Reply #102 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 14:24:40 »
It looks like 96 key layouts will be covered by the base kit right? I think there is an extra 1.75u right shift but I want to be certain.  Thanks!
TGR 910 Polycarb | TGR Alice | TGR Unikorn | Lyn EM-7 | VE.A | Kyuu | E7-V1

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #103 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 14:48:00 »
It looks like 96 key layouts will be covered by the base kit right? I think there is an extra 1.75u right shift but I want to be certain.  Thanks!

Yep

Offline vonswoopington

« Reply #104 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 15:04:52 »

Yep

Thanks! Hyped!
TGR 910 Polycarb | TGR Alice | TGR Unikorn | Lyn EM-7 | VE.A | Kyuu | E7-V1

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
    • The Key Dot Company
« Reply #105 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 18:03:36 »

The base kit includes (1) 1.75u shift key for 96 and 1800 layouts.

Offline darthzero

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 13:23:22 »
"NOTE: The R3 1u " | \ " (pipe) key is being moved to R4. Also, there will be a blank R3 1u key to place next to ISO enter for maximum compatibility. New mockup will be added as soon as its received from GMK."

Why though? I mean no problem to add a R4 1u pipe key but why kill the R3 one and replace it with a blank? This is a serious turn off.
Discord: kuno#0600 
Reddit: u/darthzero

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
    • The Key Dot Company
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 14:06:57 »
"NOTE: The R3 1u " | \ " (pipe) key is being moved to R4. Also, there will be a blank R3 1u key to place next to ISO enter for maximum compatibility. New mockup will be added as soon as its received from GMK."

Why though? I mean no problem to add a R4 1u pipe key but why kill the R3 one and replace it with a blank? This is a serious turn off.

A blank key is a serious turn off?

Offline darthzero

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 15:26:53 »
As an iso user i'm used to wrong legends on my keeb but a blank looks just so out of place, what does it accomplish instead of the pipe key if i may ask? I may rephrase, it's a serious turn off for me. You don't need to cater to everyones needs, i just saw that this and the <>| key is also missing now and felt the need to speak up, sorry if i overstepped or was mean or something. 
glwgb

Offline kwyryn

« Reply #109 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 16:12:36 »
As an iso user i'm used to wrong legends on my keeb but a blank looks just so out of place, what does it accomplish instead of the pipe key if i may ask? I may rephrase, it's a serious turn off for me. You don't need to cater to everyones needs, i just saw that this and the <>| key is also missing now and felt the need to speak up, sorry if i overstepped or was mean or something. 
glwgb

i feel the same way

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
    • The Key Dot Company
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 16:36:42 »
glwgb

glwgb

i feel the same way

It was too late in the game for serious changes. With proxies in place and kits already quoted and laid out, its a last minute decision. I realized the pipe key typically sits in R4 next to the shift key, and was incorrectly placed in R3. The decision was to move pipe to R4 next to the shift, and remove the <> key (as that sits in place of the pipe key next to shift) and add a blank in R3 instead of the #~ key that normally sits there as I figured a blank key makes more sense than a redundant one.  At this point in the game its not practical to add or remove keys, this correction maintained the keycount while fixing two issues.

If you are unhappy, my apologies. Speak up during IC, thats the purpose of it. I put alot of effort into maximizing compatibility while keeping prices in line. To hear that a single key out this entire group buy "is a serious turn off" is a little harsh. With so many new keyboards coming out all the time with new layouts and key placement, along with the multitude of ISO configurations its not ever going to be possible to satisfy everyone's needs / wants in a single set.

Offline fatpolomanjr

Re: [IC] GMK >Terminal_ R2
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 17:01:44 »
In the 40s kit, I think it might be worth swapping the profiles on the 1u tab and 1u esc. The default planck/Preonic layouts have tab on r2 and escape on r3.

That aside, I’m interested but may not pick up a kit due to the sheer number of GMK sets being run right now
+1 this

I mentioned this during the Neon Evangelism IC and it was either overlooked or ignored by the OP. Others chimed in saying literally only Jack uses R2 tab on ortho layouts...which is clearly false given there are at least 3 or 4 of us out there...

I'm glad someone at least mentioned it! :thumb:

I'll give TheKeyCompany the benefit of the doubt and assume it made $$ or compatibility sense with the way it currently is. Staggered 40% and non-default layout ortholinear users are probably better off with the current kit.

Then again:

« Last Edit: Wed, 27 June 2018, 17:05:35 by fatpolomanjr »
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 17:44:43 »
A blank r3. Why?

Offline darthzero

« Reply #113 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 17:46:18 »
glwgb

glwgb

i feel the same way

It was too late in the game for serious changes. With proxies in place and kits already quoted and laid out, its a last minute decision. I realized the pipe key typically sits in R4 next to the shift key, and was incorrectly placed in R3. The decision was to move pipe to R4 next to the shift, and remove the <> key (as that sits in place of the pipe key next to shift) and add a blank in R3 instead of the #~ key that normally sits there as I figured a blank key makes more sense than a redundant one.  At this point in the game its not practical to add or remove keys, this correction maintained the keycount while fixing two issues.

If you are unhappy, my apologies. Speak up during IC, thats the purpose of it. I put alot of effort into maximizing compatibility while keeping prices in line. To hear that a single key out this entire group buy "is a serious turn off" is a little harsh. With so many new keyboards coming out all the time with new layouts and key placement, along with the multitude of ISO configurations its not ever going to be possible to satisfy everyone's needs / wants in a single set.
Good Sir,
the preview which was up on your website until recently was perfectly fine (for me). So if you make "last minute" changes how can i possibly speak up in the IC phase? I JUST saw it so i spoke up.
And while it may be harsh for a single key it's not imho, keycaps are a thing of aesthetics and a blank key on this beautiful set on a nice keyboard would ruin this for me. In the end i'm getting it anyway, I've waited month for this set to go to GB phase while refreshing your site like 50 times a day to see if there where any updates (for the first launch date...). 

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
    • The Key Dot Company
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 17:46:46 »
A blank r3. Why?

Just for you, Giorgio

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
    • The Key Dot Company
Re: [IC] GMK >Terminal_ R2 PREVIEW POSTED NOW LIVE
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 18:02:00 »

Offline SolarEclipz

Re: [IC] GMK >Terminal_ R2 GB NOW LIVE
« Reply #116 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 18:14:42 »
Dang, I was 5 minutes and the TERMINAL code didn't work.  :( Oh well. GL to all that got it the free deskmat! Looking forward to getting this set for my first diy keyboard!  :thumb:

Offline darthzero

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 19:04:07 »
I‘ve got two questions:
1) do you use iso yourself
2) has anyone requested that change
I‘ll show myself out now and as I said before, glwgb.

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
    • The Key Dot Company
« Reply #118 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 19:30:47 »
I‘ve got two questions:

Unless you suggest a solution that doesnt involved adding a key, only changing those keys, there isnt anything I can do.

Offline typischt

Re: [IC] GMK &gt;Terminal_ R2 GB NOW LIVE
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 20:03:03 »
I‘ve got two questions:

Unless you suggest a solution that doesnt involved adding a key, only changing those keys, there isnt anything I can do.
I‘m actually with darthzero on this.
Firstly, wouldn‘t you mind if any key of the alphas would change to a blank one on a set you really like? It‘s just weird to have one blank there.
Secondly, I think UK iso has become such a standard, that it really flies under the radar if that is being changed. I myself didn‘t realize it until now. And it actually makes me reconsider buying this, also because of the fact that a whole region (or whatever you wanna call it) just gets „disregarded“. I started to accept that NORD sets simply aren‘t popular enough that I stopped buying those sets (as MOQs almost never are met an thus always are really expensive), but that‘s also because of the fact that a „proper“ UK iso to some extend always was part of almost any set and this way I can somewhat still do the short left shift.
Thirdly, is a blank key really that much cheaper than a none blank? This is a serious, genuine question as I have no I idea.
Anyways, I don‘t think there are enough people to care about iso, nevertheless I wanted to share my perspective. I also wish GLWGB.

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
    • The Key Dot Company
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 20:05:21 »
I‘ve got two questions:

Firstly, wouldn‘t you mind if any key of the alphas would change to a blank one on a set you really like? It‘s just weird to have one blank there.
Secondly, I think UK iso has become such a standard, that it really flies under the radar if that is being changed. I myself didn‘t realize it until now. And it actually makes me reconsider buying this, also because of the fact that a whole region (or whatever you wanna call it) just gets „disregarded“. I started to accept that NORD sets simply aren‘t popular enough that I stopped buying those sets (as MOQs almost never are met an thus always are really expensive), but that‘s also because of the fact that a „proper“ UK iso to some extend always was part of almost any set and this way I can somewhat still do the short left shift.
Thirdly, is a blank key really that much cheaper than a none blank? This is a serious, genuine question as I have no I idea.
Anyways, I don‘t think there are enough people to care about iso, nevertheless I wanted to share my perspective. I also wish GLWGB.

Im still waiting for you or darthzero to tell me what you want me to add... do you want the R3 pipe key back?

Offline The_judge_168

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 20:18:30 »
Dang, I was 5 minutes and the TERMINAL code didn't work.  :( Oh well. GL to all that got it the free deskmat! Looking forward to getting this set for my first diy keyboard!  :thumb:

I think there were issues earlier, seemed to work for me a few minutes ago

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
    • The Key Dot Company
« Reply #122 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 20:20:03 »

I think there were issues earlier, seemed to work for me a few minutes ago

Its working now, Shopify decided to bug out. Ill make good on the deal for the people who spent over $249 and weren't able to use the discount.

Offline typischt

« Reply #123 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 20:28:02 »
I‘ve got two questions:

Im still waiting for you or darthzero to tell me what you want me to add... do you want the R3 pipe key back?
Well, I can only speak for me, but the most obvious would be the default UK ~ # key. Otherwise, I don‘t mind that much as long as it‘s not just blank.

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
    • The Key Dot Company
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 21:40:49 »
I‘ve got two questions:
Thanks! I think we can make that happen without much trouble. Whats say everyone else? Feedback on this suggestion?

Well, I can only speak for me, but the most obvious would be the default UK ~ # key. Otherwise, I don‘t mind that much as long as it‘s not just blank.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #125 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 21:47:10 »
Since the group buy is now active, this thread is being locked.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)